Looking for a good tint shop around Philly

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2004, 09:16 AM
RSX to TSX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looking for a good tint shop around Philly

Hey all

I'm looking for a good tint shop around in the philly area (I live outside the northeast, but am willing to travel a bit) that will give me a good deal and does good work.

Any suggestions?
Old 08-03-2004, 12:02 PM
Instructor

Try them out...I have gotten audio equipment here and plan to get my tint done here too. Check out the site!

http://www.s-waves.com/products/window_tint.html
Old 08-03-2004, 04:12 PM
Faster, please.

I had mine done in Thorndale at a place called Colbert's Car Care. $200 for an average job. It was the cheapest price I found but I know that's kind of a haul for you. Wherever you go make sure they install a felt strip to protect the tint when you roll down the windows. Mine are scratched already and after reading some other threads here many other peoples' are as well. Also ask them if they will cut the film to exclude the micro dots on the rear window. I saw a 350z recently where it was done that way and it looks better than when they try to go over the microdots and you get bad adhesion in certain spots.
Old 08-03-2004, 06:38 PM
RSX to TSX

Originally Posted by daddydliv
I had mine done in Thorndale at a place called Colbert's Car Care. $200 for an average job. It was the cheapest price I found but I know that's kind of a haul for you. Wherever you go make sure they install a felt strip to protect the tint when you roll down the windows. Mine are scratched already and after reading some other threads here many other peoples' are as well. Also ask them if they will cut the film to exclude the micro dots on the rear window. I saw a 350z recently where it was done that way and it looks better than when they try to go over the microdots and you get bad adhesion in certain spots.
Sorry to sound like a complete noob, but what exactly are microdots? Never heard the term, and I wanna be well versed when I go to do this.

I'm really willing to drive for a good job, so the distance isn't a big deal for me.
Old 08-03-2004, 06:45 PM
Advanced

You probably already know this, but almost certainly whatever tint you get is going to be illegal in PA, since anything darker than 70% is technically illegal. The law is selectively enforced, but just be aware that you are giving cops probable cause to stop you any time they want. Just something to keep in mind.
Old 08-03-2004, 06:46 PM
RSX to TSX

Yeah I've given this a good bit of thought. I know a lot of people with 35% or so and they say they've never been botherer. I think this is more of one of those "you're being an asshole but I have no reason to nail you" type of things... Just looking into it now... what does a tint ticket cost?
Old 08-03-2004, 09:46 PM
Faster, please.

Microdots are those little black dots around the edge of your rear window and windshield that kind of fade in. They're meant to give the car a more finished look so you don't see the edges of the interior trim from the outside. The place that did my tint put the film over them but said that the film doesn't always adhere well to them. Sure enough a month later there are sections that are not sticking. It looks kinda crappy but it's not too major. If you want a perfect looking tint job ask the place to just run the tint up to the edge of the dots. There will be a slight gap all the way around but it doesn't look bad since it's uniform. But like I said even with the couple places on mine showing through it's not too bad. Just wondering how it will stay in the long run!?! They did do a good job though otherwise.

As far as the level of tint I've been next to, in front of, and driven past cops and haven't been stopped yet. I even did get pulled over last week for speeding in Jersey and they didn't even say anything about it - in Jersey you can't have any tint in front. My brother-in-law has the same tint on his GS400 and no problems in a year. Don't sweat it!
Old 08-03-2004, 09:54 PM
Faster, please.

be aware that you are giving cops probable cause to stop you any time they want. Just something to keep in mind.
Just make sure you hide the dank well!