Looking to buy a TSX

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2005, 02:51 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looking to buy a TSX

I liked the TSX, but going from a Prelude, I thought the handling was a bit too soft. I eventually realized that there was the A-spec package, and I called the dealer. They said it was $7500. Yikes! I knew that had to be wrong, and found this forum, which was helpful. (I also found an official Honda/Acura site that listed the exact dealer's prices for that and the separate suspension.)

SO, now I'm getting excited about the TSX again; I imagine I'd be pretty happy with a somewhat sportier ride. If anyone can give me an idea of how it compares to the Prelude (or perhaps other sporty cars), that would be helpful.

My other thought is I might like the body kit, but I've seen few pictures of it. I could live without it for sure, but I got it for my Prelude, and I thought it looked a lot better. Mebbe the same applies to the TSX?
Old 06-29-2005, 03:01 PM
My Garage

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
I came from a 93 prelude, the tsx is a little softer but it still handles really well, i don't have aspec, but i have the progress rear sway bar on and i can throw this car around just about as well as the prelude.
Old 06-29-2005, 03:02 PM
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
One thing that immediately improves handling feel is replacing the crappy, squishy, overpriced tires that come with the car with Yokohamas or the like (depends on if you need all-season or not - Yoko makes one of the best all-season radials).

Also, just because the handling feels different doesn't mean it doesn't perform - the TSX has great handlnig statistics.... but stats obviously are not the whole story.

The TSX is a considerably larger car than a Prelude, yet it handles with aplomb. The turning circle will take you awhile to get used to, however. I can barely pull a U-turn with 2 lanes with the wheel cranked hard over. This is a far cry from the '96 Integra I had before, and especially the '85 Prelude I had before that.

All that being said, I love the TSX.
Old 06-29-2005, 03:23 PM
Everyday Joe

The wife (g/f at the time) had a '98 Prelude that we sold in '01. When I got the TSX, we both thought that it was a nicer/newer version of the Prelude w/4 doors. Both were/are autos so keep that in mind....
I think that you'll be happy in the TSX
Old 06-29-2005, 03:25 PM
Intermediate

Body Kit

Just remember before you decide on the body kit (if you live in a state that gets alot of snow) LESS GROUND CLEARANCE !!!!!!!!!!!!!

I live in Colorado where driving one with the body kit would be impossible during one of our deep snows..

John
maybe
Old 06-29-2005, 03:33 PM
Top notch 6MT

I had a 98 Prelude... but had several cars between that and the TSX, I'll skip suspension as you already sorted that out.

I am very happy to be back with a VTEC (ok, iVTEC, slightly different) 4-banger

Engine:
The K24B2 on the TSX has way better torque curve than the H22B (are my codes right?). However, the iVTEC kick is way less apparant (less fun IMHO) than the VTEC kick and honestly the 6Krpm switch-over is way too high. Good news is that Hondata reflash will fix all that and more! Catch is no reflash on '05, YET.

Tranny:
Read my user name "sub-title"... TOP NOTCH 6MT, 'nuff said.

Don't look no more man! Go for the 6MT TSX!!! Or you'll be

Old 06-29-2005, 03:48 PM
Burning Brakes

I traded-in my 99 5sp Prelude for a 04 6sp TSX last year. I got my a-spec suspension, oem bodykit, comptech swaybar from ebay for $1500 in total. I used to love the Prelude a lot but after having the TSX for a year, TSX is truly a big upgrade in driving experience especially the slick 6sp manual box. If you dun need a slammed look then the a-spec suspension is a good choice for you. The handling of my TSX is on par with my BMW E46 328i sp. Only when I floor on the gas and making a corner turn from stand still than I feel torque steer from the TSX another than that, it handle as good as RWD BMW. So if you like your Prelude, sure you will love TSX.
Old 06-29-2005, 09:56 PM
Burning Brakes

Wow, I never expected quite so many Preluders! Thanks for the comments.

About the Ebay pricing, that's crazy. I'd be happy for reasonably discounted prices. I probably will try to get the dealer to cave a bit on the suspension, coz I want someone other than me to install it.

Maybe I can buy the body kit parts cheaper online (and later), rather than buy that from the dealer. BTW, they're easy to install, I hope? (I installed the body kit on my 'lude. The Honda part was just bolt-on, but the aftermarket stuff was a real pain.)

Don't get me wrong, I had a blast driving the TSX and the shifting was the smoothest I've ever used. While the ride did seem very comfortable, it did seem like the handling was a bit soft as well. Of course the handling was still good compared to "normal" cars. It's a different kind of "fun" driving a Camry or certain other cars or especially minivans that wallow around corners.

Having an official Acura part to stiffen the suspension sounds like that might settle the handling question, at least to get it closer to what I want. The main other performance negative is that it is not alot of power, at least compared to some other sporty cars. Then again, those with more power are generally a lot more pricey, especially when you start outfitting them with similar options. Well, it's not like I was trying to have a drag racer with the Prelude either, but it was pretty zippy.

I'm tempted to look at the RSX Type S, but I'm almost sure it won't be roomy enough. (UGH, I'm getting old! )
Old 06-30-2005, 12:47 PM
Top notch 6MT

Originally Posted by ianS
I traded-in my 99 5sp Prelude for a 04 6sp TSX last year. I got my a-spec suspension, oem bodykit, comptech swaybar from ebay for $1500 in total. I used to love the Prelude a lot but after having the TSX for a year, TSX is truly a big upgrade in driving experience especially the slick 6sp manual box. If you dun need a slammed look then the a-spec suspension is a good choice for you. The handling of my TSX is on par with my BMW E46 328i sp. Only when I floor on the gas and making a corner turn from stand still than I feel torque steer from the TSX another than that, it handle as good as RWD BMW. So if you like your Prelude, sure you will love TSX.
on the TSX handling on par with E46 I had the 325i sp and agree with everything you said!

And double- on if you like your Prelude, you'll surly love the TSX
Old 06-30-2005, 02:20 PM
4th Gear

I agree

I owned a 325i sport before buying my TSX, and I find the handling to be as good in the TSX. Just the obvious fwd vs. rwd issues. My BMW felt heavier and more planted in turns esp. with the gas pedal to the floor. On the other hand my
TSX feels lighter and more nimble in turns. The shifter in my 6mt TSX is incredibly smooth and makes driving awful damn fun! just my
(the tires definitely suck though)
Old 06-30-2005, 03:24 PM
Top notch 6MT

Originally Posted by gravityhurts
I owned a 325i sport before buying my TSX, and I find the handling to be as good in the TSX. Just the obvious fwd vs. rwd issues. My BMW felt heavier and more planted in turns esp. with the gas pedal to the floor. On the other hand my
TSX feels lighter and more nimble in turns. The shifter in my 6mt TSX is incredibly smooth and makes driving awful damn fun! just my
(the tires definitely suck though)
you right back Especially about the smooth shifting in the 6MT

Yup, the stock tires suck! They squeel so easily in any condition - off the line, thrown into corner, hard braking (not even ABS hard!).
Old 06-30-2005, 07:02 PM
Burning Brakes

Of course, the tires....

Originally Posted by 05_TSX_GP
Yup, the stock tires suck! They squeel so easily in any condition - off the line, thrown into corner, hard braking (not even ABS hard!).
The stock Prelude tires were the same way. With real sticky sports car tires, it is a night and day difference, even with the stock suspension.

I think that the car companies put longer-lasting tires on the cars so that people don't complain when they have to change 'em at 20K.
Old 06-30-2005, 08:18 PM
Someone stole "My Garage"

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
I came from a slightly-modified 1991 Integra on summer tires, and the TSX outhandles that car in almost every way. Aside from the turning radius, the TSX is a VERY good handling car. Add a Comptech rear sway bar and you are basically neutral handling (it almost eliminates understeer).

I can't comment on the stock tires, as I bought my '04 TSX used, and had the dealership I bough tit from put some Toyo Proxes TPT on -- they're a nice all-season with some sport handling characteristics, and can still be used in light snow (good!).

Power-wise, this is not a really fast car, but moves along nicely, and with a few mods and maybe Hondata, can be REALLY fun. It's main advantage over almost any other 4-cyl is the torque curve. 90% of maximum torque can is produced between (i think) 2500 and 6000 rpm, and the engine is silky smooth. You really don't feel the speed in this car, as it is part luxury car. Interior is MILES ahead of any other car in its class and price range, and the overall look of the car outside, with the OEM bodykit, is stunning. I wouldn't have bought this car if the kit wasn't thrown in. It's a MUST, IMO.

Great on gas, tons of fun, and Acura reliabilty.

Cheers!
Eric
Old 07-01-2005, 01:00 PM
I'm the Firestarter

Received 747 Likes on 449 Posts
Originally Posted by curls
I wouldn't have bought this car if the kit wasn't thrown in. It's a MUST, IMO.
Aye, I wouldn't have got it without the kit either.
Old 07-01-2005, 01:57 PM
Instructor

I came from a 97 prelude type SH, and I love the TSX(had to go with AT due to traffic in DC area). the stock tires on the TSX are crappy, but I agree that the TSX feels like a more refined grown up Prelude with 4 doors. I also noticed that the initial lower end torque is more noticable in the TSX.

I believe teh prelude to TSX is common because a lot of people are EXTREMELY happy with the honda line of vehicles and are growing up into their mid 20s..need a more sophisticated car!!
Old 07-01-2005, 02:10 PM
I'm a llama :(

Yeah, it does seem like a farely common upgrade. I think both have a lot of similarities in styling, handling, and performance. I wanted to get a 5th gen Prelude but got a CL instead. Now I want a TSX. I'd get a Prelude, but I don't think I can live without the luxury stuff. The TSX just seems perfect for me. The CL is too old lady for me. Plus it's an auto.
Old 07-01-2005, 04:21 PM
Possessed with my Schemes

I had a 2000 Prelude previously. I think the difference is that the center of gravity in the TSX feels higher which at first made me feel as though it didn't handle as well. After pushing the TSX a little, I have been happy with the handling, although I still don't think it is as good as the prelude, but that is a small trade-off for all of the other things that the TSX does better.
Old 07-01-2005, 04:34 PM
VSA Rocks

Originally Posted by vitocorleone
This is a far cry from the '96 Integra I had before, and especially the '85 Prelude I had before that.

All that being said, I love the TSX.
My '96 teg handled like a dream. I'm pretty sure I was getting close to 1g skidpad after my mods. In the TSX, there is considerably more body roll, more chassis flex, and brake dive. I guess that tends to happen with a sedan.

I'd be willing to trade somewhat soft handling for a better low-end powerband, leather interior, sound deadening and a more professional image anyday.