Looking to buy 1st-gen TSX: Is Navi worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2010, 09:46 PM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looking to buy 1st-gen TSX: Is Navi worth it?

Hi,

I'm considering purchasing an 06/07 TSX, and I'm wondering what opinions are about the navigation unit and if it's worth the $1k-2k premium. I understand I can buy a Garmin or something for $200, but what other value would I get from the integrated unit besides voice control? Have their been many problems with the Navi?

Thanks!
Matt
Old 02-17-2010, 07:50 AM
mrgold35

Received 1,530 Likes on 1,193 Posts
Four years ago the Navi was worth it. Now you can purchase off the shelf units that do the same and have more functions and features that blow the factory Navi out the water. You can also take your portable Navi with you if you need to transfer to another car or traveling on public trans (I wish I had this when vacationing in Seattle last fall).

Plus the factory Navi needs an update DVD each year for $190 and you don't know what updates are on it until you purchase the disk. I waited 3 years before updating my disk and I haven't notice any difference other than the daylight savings fix.

You do have a slot below the Radio where you can put in an in dash DVD/Navi system. Then you would have the option of an updated Navi and watch DVD while parked (safety first).

I think you will still have voice control with a non-navi TSX (radio, Bluetooth phone)

One big plus is the dash looks better with the Navi screen.

After saying all that, I would still purchase my TSX all over again with the factory Navi system. The car just looks cooler with the Navi screen.
Old 02-17-2010, 08:39 AM
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts
Everything is integrated with the screen. Not only the nav, but the radio controls, manual AC/vent operations, everything. Not sure if any of the aftermarket suppliers offer ZAGAT ratings on their devices but that is a plus of the OEM nav as well.

Also i hate having anything floating on the windshield with extra wires and all of that. Honestly in the 1G TSX its a must have for me, unless you simply can't afford it in which case its just an empty discussion at that point.
Old 02-17-2010, 09:21 AM
2nd Gear

Good feedback, thanks. What if the Navi goes bad? Does that mean I will have no control over all of the integrated functions like A/C, radio, etc? That's a lot of eggs in one basket if so.
Old 02-17-2010, 10:37 AM
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
I don't need or use Navi much at all...so my priorities were different.

With that said, I think it was originally a big plus...but now, as Mr Gold said above, you can buy portable Navi's that do much more, (Live traffic updates, detailed searches, etc.) for $200 now. I just got one of those for my wife, and we can use it in either car, or a rental. So, no, it's no longer worth $1000-2000 extra.

Yes, there is voice control of the bluetooth phone, etc, in the non-Navi.

As for the design, I actually like the flow of the dash without the Navi -- but I think everyone gets accustomed to seeing what they have, myself included.

I had read reviews of the TSX in Motor Trend and elsewhere discussing the HVAC and radio controls in the Navi as being a downside. (Can't just instantly hit a button for every function as in the non-Navi, some things require going into the screen a level or two.) And in certain light, the screen is harder to see than buttons/knobs. (And yes, if the NAvi goes bad, many of the controls go with it...though that's not likely to happen.)

The bottom line is you can't go wrong with with either version of the car.

Last edited by Boulder TSX; 02-17-2010 at 10:41 AM.
Old 02-17-2010, 12:53 PM
it's a car-drive it

Received 262 Likes on 199 Posts
Yes a portable Nav is cheaper and you can use it in other cars. When we bought our 06 we went with one that had nav. because we were planning to take cross country roadtrips. I must say the nav has been very useful for the 3 trips we have made and other places. I have not up-dated it and have no plans to do so. (not worth the extra money).
Old 02-18-2010, 01:05 PM
Instructor

The nav is worth it if you can get it for 500 over a non navi. There are some aftermarket Navi's that are 100x better that you can install in your car that will keep the steering wheel controls, blue tooth, ipod, everything.
Old 02-18-2010, 02:53 PM
Guinea Pig

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by AccessPhoto.com
Everything is integrated with the screen. Not only the nav, but the radio controls, manual AC/vent operations, everything. Not sure if any of the aftermarket suppliers offer ZAGAT ratings on their devices but that is a plus of the OEM nav as well.

Also i hate having anything floating on the windshield with extra wires and all of that. Honestly in the 1G TSX its a must have for me, unless you simply can't afford it in which case its just an empty discussion at that point.
x2

There's more to it than just asking for directions. Hit the voice command and say "passenger 72 degrees" and it changes just passenger side temp to 72 degrees. Nothing off the shelf can do that.

For me it was a must have.
Old 02-18-2010, 04:17 PM
CGP Ebony

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
You can also do this!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=foeTAVaY_Nw
Old 02-18-2010, 10:42 PM
Pro

I have NAV in the TSX, and have used TomToms and Garmins in our other, NAV-deficient cars. At $2k, the factory NAV is ridiculously overpriced. But as outdated and out-class the TSX's nav is in comparison, using the porta-NAVs just plain frustrates me. Battery life, cords, placement, start-up and satellite locking time, signal loss, no interpolation when signal is lost, inaccuracies etc, etc, etc. Bottom line for me is that the factory nav works very, very well - all the time.
Old 02-19-2010, 10:13 AM

The TSX with Nav has everything integrated into the one screen. Nav, Satalite radio, Climate Control. The non Nav car will not have the screen and you will need buy your own portable Jammy for the Nav, and suction cup it to your windshield, and run wires into you cigarette lighter input thang. You can find a good deal on a car with nav, for the same price as one without, you just got to keep looking. If you want navigation in your car, I'd go with the TSX with nav. It gives the car a much cleaner look.

Unless you don't mind plugging shit in and running wires.
Old 02-19-2010, 11:37 AM
Racer

I might get the Navi in the 2G TSX because it comes with the updated audio system. In ours (1G), they are the same. I did not get the navi and at times wished I had. My wife got me a Garmin 205W (a very basica model) for my birthday and I haven't wished I'd gotten it since. It isn't worth the $2K upgrade although it does help the resale value of the car a bit.

If your looking at a 1G, I'd say no. 2G might be a different story.
Old 02-19-2010, 12:42 PM
Let me help you!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
I have the factory navi and a garmin portable navi. I would rather use the factory navi. I like being able to hit a button and say, "find nearest gas station," "menu....detour," etc. I also like not having my view cluttered, having to worry about putting away and setting up the portable navi, etc.

I also use the factory navi's calendar to set reminders for myself. When I start up the car, it reminds me of my tasks. The calculator is useful for when I'm sitting in traffic and need to do a quick calculation.
Old 02-19-2010, 06:37 PM
Modding newbie

If you can afford it, get it. If you can't afford it, don't.
Nav shouldn't cost you 2 grand in a used vehicle. Another 500 maybe, but not 2 grand like the new ones. It's very convient, so I say get it, assuming you can afford it.
Old 02-19-2010, 09:16 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If I would to rebuy my TSX I would have got Navi. Also you can set it up to watch DVD's with some mods that are available. My next car will have Navi.
Old 02-20-2010, 12:46 PM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i agree with mrgold's intial post. even though aftermarket navis will have better features and be more updated, i still wouldnt trade my original built in nav for it. imo it just sets off the interior with a more luxury feel. when i was looking for mine, i held out for one with nav and am still thankful i did. wouldve regretted it now if i hadnt
Old 02-20-2010, 04:47 PM
10th Gear

If given the choice, go with the factory navi.

I've own my 06 TSX for about 4 months now and when I picked it out as my next car, I told the salesman I wished it didn't have the navi, because I didn't think I would use it and I wanted to save some bucks.
Now that I have become acquainted with the car and see how much ties into the navigation option I'm glad I have it even though I could have saved a little on a non-navi.

Like you, I'm a little concerned about long term reliability of the navi system, but from spending quite a bit of time reading on TSX forums, it doesn't seem to be giving many problems yet.

I'm partial to Asian cars, esp with they are made by the Honda Motor Co, and after driving Accords for the last 15yrs, I don't think there is another car in the price range I would want.
Old 02-22-2010, 08:19 PM
Intermediate

I have factory Nav and love it. Also, voice command comes only with Nav. In my mind it takes the car from "nice" to "NICE"!
Old 02-22-2010, 11:16 PM
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Just to clarify...Voice command works with the bluetooth phone system functions in non-nav models, too.
Old 03-04-2010, 06:08 PM
10th Gear

yes because it provides hands free control of the climate control, stereo, and directions. just hit a button on the steering wheel and tell the car what to do. but, the maps updates are expensive, like $185 each and a new version comes out each year. even one update is more expensive than a garmin navigation unit for example.
Old 03-04-2010, 11:29 PM
Je t'aime...

I think the Navi on the TSX is worth even though the resolution isn't the best on the market, but its still good enough. The Navi makes the TSX dash look better, and gives better control display for the features in my opinion. I rather have a OEM Navi than a aftermarket one that sticks there. The OEM Navi makes the car look better =) just my opinion.
Old 03-05-2010, 01:24 AM
Instructor

I just don't get the love affair with voice control. Faster for me to change the temp manually than hit a button and say the command that it messes up half the time. I can see it for phone functions. The factory Nav is not worth $2000. Does it look good, yes. Does it work well, yes. Not sure if I would get it again. That being said, buying used, you can get the Nav for a better price. Might be worth it in that case.
Old 03-05-2010, 12:38 PM
Safety Car

Received 168 Likes on 122 Posts
Voice control is good for certain functions, specifically controlling the Navi.

But I don't think the navi is worth it anymore. I have one, but you can buy some really nice ones these days that have better functionality than a navi that at best, was state of the art for 2006.
Old 03-07-2010, 01:17 AM
06-NBP

I have the stock navi and I certainly love it. I live in a city and getting around and finding shortcuts is awesome. I wouldn't use a handheld unit for the car because I don't like running a lot of cables in the car.

I have friend who has a garmin with dash mount stand, cell phone holder, and radar detector on his windshield. it makes it look like he's piloting some airplane or something.
Old 03-07-2010, 02:44 AM
CGP Ebony

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Tripnox
I have the stock navi and I certainly love it. I live in a city and getting around and finding shortcuts is awesome. I wouldn't use a handheld unit for the car because I don't like running a lot of cables in the car.

I have friend who has a garmin with dash mount stand, cell phone holder, and radar detector on his windshield. it makes it look like he's piloting some airplane or something.

Those who are unappreciative or grown accustomed to their oem navi can always do some mods to it

-add in a dvd player to watch movies
-Hook up Rear view camera
-Change the startup screen

Old 03-09-2010, 11:43 PM
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Yup, I love the nav too until it tells me my nearest Costco is 3000 miles away. Fix it Acura/Honda.
Old 03-10-2010, 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by kingkong222
Yup, I love the nav too until it tells me my nearest Costco is 3000 miles away. Fix it Acura/Honda.
Have you updated your Navigation software? If not click link below and order your new disk for $185. You can also find cheaper one's on ebay if you dont want to buy a new one.

http://www.navigation.com/is-bin/INT.../Default-Start