The Log Out link.

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2003, 11:39 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The Log Out link.

I'd like to start a poll...I ask Larch if he knew where it was and I confused him I think. Who thinks Larch knows how to log off?
Old 08-11-2003, 11:43 PM
More On

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
http://www.acura-tsx.com/forums/show...2539#post22539
Old 08-12-2003, 09:39 AM
'12 TL (prev '04 TSX 6MT)

FWIW, I don't generally use the log out link on this or other forums. Is it just if you're using a shared computer, or are there other benefits to logging out?
Old 08-12-2003, 10:38 AM
More On

Originally posted by Count Blah
.....Are there other benefits to logging out?
Yes.

We touched on this a few weeks ago elsewhere. This matters only if you're in the habit of relying on the "View New Posts" option. If you don't log off when you get off -- long story but I'll leap to the bottom-line -- When you get back on, the "New Posts" will be missing everything that happened until 30 minutes after you last got off. (I think the current figure is 30 minutes; they changed it a couple of times.) Another way of looking at it: It will include only the new posts since about 30 minutes after you last got off.

Of course they don't do this on purpose. It's a side effect of something designed for another purpose (which, as I said before, isn't a good idea anyway IMHO).
Old 08-12-2003, 11:05 AM
HIP
Intermediate

Originally posted by larchmont
Yes.

If you don't log off when get off -- long story but I'll leap to the bottom-line -- When you get back on, the "New Posts" will be missing everything that happened until 30 minutes after you last got off. (I think the current figure is 30 minutes; they changed it a couple of times.) Another way of looking at it: It will include only the new posts since about 30 minutes after you last got off.

Of course they don't do this on purpose. It's a side effect of something designed for another purpose (which, as I said before, isn't a good idea anyway IMHO).
Finally... I wondered why my CP never shows anything when I log on a day or so later? Also, could this be the reason I never receive emails to my subscribed threads? anyway to restore all the old subscribed threads?
Thanks
Old 08-12-2003, 12:34 PM
'12 TL (prev '04 TSX 6MT)

Yeah, I thought there was some issue with that new posts feature. It hasn't seemed to be a problem for me, though.
Old 08-12-2003, 12:42 PM
HIP
Intermediate

Originally posted by Count Blah
Yeah, I thought there was some issue with that new posts feature. It hasn't seemed to be a problem for me, though.
Actually, just tried to log out and all subscibed threads were gone after logging back in. Don't have a clue how this thing is supposed to work. Even after clicking on subscribe to this thread, it never shows up here. Still never figured out how to subscribe to a forum? Would be nice to see section or sticky explaining this?
Old 08-12-2003, 08:19 PM
More On

Originally posted by HIP
Actually, just tried to log out and all subscibed threads were gone after logging back in.....
According to how I understand it, which might not be exactly right:

When you log out, everything gets marked "read" (i.e. past tense "read").

So, if you log back in pretty soon after that, it's very possible there are no new posts on those threads, and therefore that nothing would show up.