Locksmiths vs switchblade keys

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2007, 08:48 AM
TSX MFG Date Sep 2006

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Locksmiths vs switchblade keys

Ok, I finally got off my butt and is making that step forward in getting that switchblade key that FLBUSA is offering for sale. I'm getting tired of my TSX key sticking into my thigh area whenever I run.

So, I was thinking... If I were to allow a locksmith who presumably can program my key for me (in addition to cutting it), won't he have the codes to come to my house and steal my car from right under me? Or who's to say that he happens to run across my parked car somewhere and technically, he can come and drive it away as if it were his own.

Right?

Anyone ever think about this when you let your locksmith work on your key and your remote?
Old 09-08-2007, 09:11 AM
Let me help you!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
I always figured that each key has it's own id/serial number for the chip inside it. The locksmith will cut the key, and then program the car to accept the keys. Any key that's not present for the programming will not have access to the car's immobilizer.

The locksmith programs the car, not the key. If you see him use all of your keys (driver 1, driver 2, valet), and then stick in a 4th key and put that into his pocket, then you know he'll have access to your car. If he only uses your keys for the programming, then he won't be able to take your car.

If he wants your car, he'll look at your invoice for your address, borrow a flatbed tow truck, and tow your car away.
Old 09-08-2007, 09:20 AM
TSX MFG Date Sep 2006

That makes more sense; hopefully that's the case that the locksmith is programming ECU instead of the key.

Which brings me to another scenario. What if in the course of programming, all my keys won't work anymore. ie. they won't start the vehicle? I understand that you need to have all your keys re-programmed again if you have a new key.

I'd be stuck and the nearest Acura dealer is about 80miles away!

Anybody have that happen to them?
Old 09-08-2007, 11:08 PM
jdm whore

think about it this way.. i could come by your car while you in the mall, write down your vin, call ANY acura dealer in the nation, give them some bullsh!t story about how i lost my key and my brother (or whoever) who is a locksmith needs the key code so i get in my car.. if one dealership didnt work, another one will.. i know that wont start the car but i think its one of those things to not worry about.. if it happens then it happens..
the reason i say this is cause i went to the dealership the other day with my gf who has a mazda getting serviced at a mazda/acura dealer.. i told him that i got a 06 tsx.. he's like "oh cool, do you like it? whats your vin and i can give you a print out of the services its had." well on that print out is my key code and radio security code..
Old 09-08-2007, 11:20 PM
Let me help you!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by whitson01
think about it this way.. i could come by your car while you in the mall, write down your vin, call ANY acura dealer in the nation, give them some bullsh!t story about how i lost my key and my brother (or whoever) who is a locksmith needs the key code so i get in my car.. if one dealership didnt work, another one will.. i know that wont start the car but i think its one of those things to not worry about.. if it happens then it happens..
the reason i say this is cause i went to the dealership the other day with my gf who has a mazda getting serviced at a mazda/acura dealer.. i told him that i got a 06 tsx.. he's like "oh cool, do you like it? whats your vin and i can give you a print out of the services its had." well on that print out is my key code and radio security code..
The key code meaning the cut of the key I believe, not the chip in the key. Did you know both of my accords have the same key cut? One came from Texas (vin said it was build from an American plant), and the other accord's vin number said it was built at a Japanese plant. I accidentally stuck in the wrong key into the door, and it opened. I then compared the cuts, and they were the same. Finite length of metal with finite combination of pits and grooves...they have to re-use patterns. The key code is used when a new key needs to be cut.

The dealer thing does work for radio codes though. Heck, they even put the TSX's radio code on a sticker in a uniform place (I won't post it here so thieves won't know). I once called my dealership to get the code for my accord, and he gave me the number over the phone.

Originally Posted by cestmoi
That makes more sense; hopefully that's the case that the locksmith is programming ECU instead of the key.

Which brings me to another scenario. What if in the course of programming, all my keys won't work anymore. ie. they won't start the vehicle? I understand that you need to have all your keys re-programmed again if you have a new key.

I'd be stuck and the nearest Acura dealer is about 80miles away!

Anybody have that happen to them?
After programming, each key should be tested to make sure they work. Yes, you need all the keys present at the programming. Programming the car is like wiping its memory and then telling it "accept the signal from this key, this key, and this key".

It's like that movie - I don't know the name - where a (rich?) girl has amnesia. This guy and his 3 sons convince her that she's their mom, so she slaves over the kitchen for them, sticks up for them in school, etc. Her memory was erased, and then she was "programmed" by that family.

Some locksmiths can do the programming for you...if they have the equipment and know-how.

Oh, and it's not programming the ECU, it's programming the immobilizer...the device that won't let the car start unless it receives the proper signal