Living in LA: how to get a Canadian TSX with PWP w/ black weather?

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2004, 01:59 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Living in LA: how to get a Canadian TSX with PWP w/ black weather?

Hey folks,

PWP is my first color choice: since I cannot get it with the black interior, I went to carbon gray (don't like silver cars). But I gotta say: I can't get away from the PWP color. So 2 questions:

Is the PWP w/ black leather combo available in Canada?

If so, how would one go about getting that car while living in LA?

Thanks guys.
Old 08-31-2004, 02:02 PM
Instructor

Move to Canada. They have PWP/Ebony TSX.
Old 08-31-2004, 02:06 PM
Photography Nerd

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by nightdriver
Hey folks,

PWP is my first color choice: since I cannot get it with the black interior, I went to carbon gray (don't like silver cars). But I gotta say: I can't get away from the PWP color. So 2 questions:

Thanks guys.
It's probably going to cost a lot to get a PWP/Ebony imported into California. I'd sit tight for a bit to see if they're going to offer that color combo in the 2005 models.
Old 08-31-2004, 02:54 PM
Cruisin'

Just talked to the dealer

The fleet manager told me that you won't be able to register a Canadian TSX in the US. Does that sound somewhat un-American to you (or mayble un-Canadian)? I mean why wouldn't you be able to buy a car in Canada, then say decide to "move" down to the US? The dude mentioned emission regulations...

Anyway: don't want to deal with the hassle, so I'll wait for the 05 color combos to come out and try to pick an alternative combo.

BTW, those who wanted the PWP w/ black leather, to what colors did you go to?
Old 08-31-2004, 03:06 PM
Photography Nerd

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Emission reasons are valid. Many California spec cars require different catalyitic converters than the rest of the US and Canada. That can be changed of course for a cost.

My friend recently moved to the US and went through the exercise of getting a Canadian spec car registered in Washington. It really wasn't too bad. Basically the car has to have airbags and a speedometer that reads in mph and can pass an emissions test. Other than that I believe there was a $150 user fee payable at the border and other taxes that needed to be paid upon registration. The tricky part is you won't be able to drive it down because you won't have valid plates so you'll also have to pay to have it delivered.

Oh ya, resale value will likely take a because of the Canadian-spec instruments. So you'd probably have to ship it back to Canada when you want to sell it.
Old 08-31-2004, 03:14 PM
Boy Genius

Has anyone ever been able to import a Honda vehicle from Canada into the US? Emissions, safety regulations and metric instruments are part of the problem, but I have heard that importing a Honda to the US is not possible because you need the manufacturer (i.e. Honda) to issue an export certificate, and Honda simply will not do this for its Canadian market cars, even if you have owned the car for a number of years and are moving to the US for a new job. I believe this was motivated out of a desire to limit the grey market for Hondas in the US, since after exchange they are priced so much more affordably in Canadian versus US dollars for the same model. Can anyone back this up?
Old 08-31-2004, 03:30 PM
Bye TSX, hello domestic?

Hey folks,

Thanks guys.
get used to the parchment interior and plood, it'll grow on you
Old 08-31-2004, 03:56 PM
Tuxedo Cat

The fleet manager told me that you won't be able to register a Canadian TSX in the US. Does that sound somewhat un-American to you (or mayble un-Canadian)? I mean why wouldn't you be able to buy a car in Canada, then say decide to "move" down to the US? The dude mentioned emission regulations...

Anyway: don't want to deal with the hassle, so I'll wait for the 05 color combos to come out and try to pick an alternative combo.

BTW, those who wanted the PWP w/ black leather, to what colors did you go to?
You can probably register it in the US, and the US customs people have no rules about it.

However, you have ZERO chance of getting it registered in California. Unless the car is considered a classic (more than 25 years old), then it's virtually impossible to bring an imported car to California and get it registered here.

There's some info on this on the DMV website.

FWIW, I believe all the TSX's are all equipped for "50 state emissions" which is to say they all meet the requirements for everywhere. On higher volume vehicles it can make sense to produce different versions, but there aren't enough TSXs produced to justify this. (This is especially true these days, with more and more states now following "California" rules.)
Old 08-31-2004, 04:11 PM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
It's not worth the trouble. If you really want the interior that badly, find someone with a ebony interior who really wanted the lighter interior with the plood and just trade.
Old 09-01-2004, 01:04 PM
n00b

Received 45 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by CGTSX2004
It's not worth the trouble. If you really want the interior that badly, find someone with a ebony interior who really wanted the lighter interior with the plood and just trade.
This isn't worth it either, IMO. Too many parts to be swapped (seats, dash, door panels, carpet, roof liners, rear deck, misc. panels, center console, and maybe the trunk liners (are the trunk liners also parchment for those with parchment interior?).
Old 09-01-2004, 01:49 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by lokman
Has anyone ever been able to import a Honda vehicle from Canada into the US? Emissions, safety regulations and metric instruments are part of the problem, but I have heard that importing a Honda to the US is not possible because you need the manufacturer (i.e. Honda) to issue an export certificate, and Honda simply will not do this for its Canadian market cars, even if you have owned the car for a number of years and are moving to the US for a new job. I believe this was motivated out of a desire to limit the grey market for Hondas in the US, since after exchange they are priced so much more affordably in Canadian versus US dollars for the same model. Can anyone back this up?

My in-laws were able to transfer their Honda Odyssey and Accord when they moved to Raleigh. It wasn't that much of a pain because the cars were not brand new. I do remember they had to pay for the paperwork and to have the cars inspected before they could be plated. I know they mentioned that if the cars were new it would have been a much bigger pain in the ass. But don’t forget they lived in Canada and moved to the States. I have heard of certain car manufactures taking away dealer licenses for selling cars to people that come up form the US to buy a car.
As far as cars being cheaper in Canada that was true back in the days of the weak Canadian dollar but not any more. If you go here http://www.bankofcanada.ca/en/exchform.htm and plug in the cost of a TSX you will see the difference is only a couple hundred dollars. But don't forget all the extra tax we pay (GST).
Old 09-01-2004, 01:50 PM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
It's easier to move Canadian cars into some states than others. In California, it's a big because of emissions requirements.

Kind of a pain to deal with.