Leasing in NYC

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2004, 01:59 PM
Gimmie my points Biatch!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Leasing in NYC

Anybody know if u can lease a TSX in New York. Every since they have that new liability law makes it hard to find a dealer that will give you one.
Old 03-08-2004, 05:12 PM
dɐɹɔ ǝɥʇ ʇɐɥʍ

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The dealer would love to lease to you, however the bank is the one who under no circumstances will. What you have to do is open ended baloon financing, which is a half assed attempt at keeping your monthly payments low. In short as an owner of several businesses there are no super tax breaks aside from buying the vehicle and writting the whole thing off in one year- which is good and bad- depends what you are trying to accomplish with your business. As far as personal loans/leasing it doesn't make sense to me to do an open ended agreement or to lease- but that's just me.
Old 03-08-2004, 05:49 PM
Jersey ---> Maryland

just a thought...can you lease the car from another state like jersey and register it in ny?

i had leased my old car from a jersey dealer and had it registered in ny. not sure if thats still possible with this new thing against leasing.
Old 03-08-2004, 10:35 PM
Sile

BMW, Infiniti do leasing. Its up to the finance center. Youll find better deals on the BM's and Infiniti's although the cars are more $$. If you get a lease from an outside bank expect to pay more for insurance than on a balloon.
One plus for balloons, you can get out of them anytime. Just sell your car and pay off the loan.
Old 03-09-2004, 08:44 AM
Intermediate

YOu can lease in NY

Honda finance will not lease in NY. I think it is because of liability laws that give the lessor exposure. ( In NY when you leased in the past you never got the title to the car. The leasing co held on to it and was named on the title.) To get around the problem Honda will give you what is technically a finance with a balloon payment at the end of the term. The terms are similar to leases like 24-48 months and the return of the car is satisfaction of the balloon payment. What you end up with is for all practical purposes is a lease. Its just works differently. Here is the catch. There is no first month payment because financing gets paid at the end of the month not at the beginning of the month like a lease so there is one less payment to make. The last payment is the balloon payment satisfied by the return of the car. Some dealers will try to tried to charge you the first months payment and pocket the money so be aware. Also you are paying sales tax on the entire amount of the purchase price not just the difference between purchase price and residual like a lease. If by some off chance you want to purchase the car at the end you don't have a tax bill to pay. It comes out to be about the same price as leases in other states even though you are paying a higher tax bill because Honda subsidizes the interest rate to keep the payments in line with what leases should cost.

I know all about this because I just leased an Odyssey for my wife. Don’t worry my TSX is a keeper and its paid for not leased.

Just for the record I live in NJ but got my local dealer to waive the first month payment on a lease because he knew that if he wouldn’t I would hop across the river and get my car in NY.