just wrecked my TSX

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2003, 06:55 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy just wrecked my TSX

I just got into a wreck. No other party was involved. I ended up sliding down an embankment and hitting a small tree. If the tree wasn't there, I would have escaped any damage.

Luckily, only the front left side of the car was damaged. It even spared the HID lights, though it will need a new housing.

Engine seems fine. The hood was untouched as well, much to my surprise. Parts that will need replacing (as far as I can tell), front quarter panel, front bumper, and the outer casing for the left HID light. As for suspension, I think it is within limits though it may need alignment. I'm hoping that it didn't touch the frame...though I can't be certain.

The whole experience was almost surreal. This happens to be my first accident (and hopefully my last). It sucks that it happened to my precious TSX. And I had just washed it earlier before the wreck.

Thoughts going in my mind now are whether parts are available for this car since it still new on the market. If so, are the parts painted at the factory or are they done by the body shop?

I'm going to go to my Acura dealer tomorrow to see if they can suggest a body shop for me to take to. Man this sucks....
Old 09-21-2003, 07:11 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Oh no! The artist of our banner and home page pics crashes his TSX

Glad you are ok ... and hopefully they will get your TSX back to looking like new in no time!
Old 09-21-2003, 07:26 PM
Racer

Old 09-21-2003, 08:25 PM
Pro

good luck
Old 09-21-2003, 08:42 PM
Rarrrrrrrr!!!!!!

sorry to hear that. Can you post some pics?
Old 09-21-2003, 08:50 PM
fdl
Senior Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Maybe the new panels will match your backdoor
Old 09-21-2003, 09:10 PM
Drifting

sorry man.
Old 09-21-2003, 09:25 PM
Audi Driving Snob

sorry to hear it...but how did it happen?
Old 09-21-2003, 09:50 PM
Three Wheelin'

no the parts are not painted at the factory... so a body shop will paint them. it never looks as good as a factory paint job unless you spend some serious cash.

it will look good but you will see the difference because you know where the damage is... somebody else would probably not notice.

just make sure you get OEM parts... otherwise it's really going to look bad.
Old 09-21-2003, 09:51 PM
So, do you like...stuff?

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Sorry man, glad your OK. As the parts go, all parts come UNPAINTED. The have to color match and blend the paint.

AS far as availability, i had my hood, fromt bumper, left HID all replaced. Most parts were readily available, except a part called a "stiffner". This apparently holds the front bumper on the car, and there were only three in the US at the time. I am sure you will have no problems though. Good Luck.
Old 09-21-2003, 10:05 PM
fdl
Senior Moderator

Originally posted by DEVO
no the parts are not painted at the factory... so a body shop will paint them. it never looks as good as a factory paint job unless you spend some serious cash.

it will look good but you will see the difference because you know where the damage is... somebody else would probably not notice.

just make sure you get OEM parts... otherwise it's really going to look bad.
DEVO..I know that.... In case you missed it foo has been complaining that his rear pass. door doesnt match the color of the rest of his car...so some think it was actually re-painted. Thats why i said maybe his new panels will now match his door. Just a joke anyways.
Old 09-21-2003, 10:24 PM
Suzuka Master

Really sorry to hear about that, but glad you're OK. Hopefully your dealer can get everything as good as new.
Old 09-21-2003, 10:29 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by TinkySD
sorry to hear it...but how did it happen?
i was driving on a backroad with lots of twisties and i lost control. i started to fishtail and by the time i steered out of it, i was going down a small embankment and my brakes wouldn't stop cause the grass was still wet from the rain that we got yesterday. basically, i got too confident and push it beyond the limit and now my TSX will never be the same.

thanks to provench for hosting the pics for me.
Old 09-21-2003, 10:35 PM
Audi Driving Snob

Old 09-21-2003, 10:43 PM
fdl
Senior Moderator

Did you have the VSA on???
Old 09-21-2003, 10:52 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by fdl
No, I had it off. It may be the reason why I fish-tailed, hard to say since I was going pretty fast so I'm not sure how much VSA would have helped. Like I said, I managed to steer out of it but not in time before going down the embankment. By that time, my brakes could only slow me down by so much before hitting the tree.
Old 09-21-2003, 11:07 PM
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
That really sucks. But you did a good job on the wash though. Your car looks shiny.
Old 09-21-2003, 11:11 PM
fdl
Senior Moderator

Originally posted by Fooman
No, I had it off. It may be the reason why I fish-tailed, hard to say since I was going pretty fast so I'm not sure how much VSA would have helped. Like I said, I managed to steer out of it but not in time before going down the embankment. By that time, my brakes could only slow me down by so much before hitting the tree.
Hmmm..interesting. Theoretically...the VSA should have detected the oversteer right away and corrected it...so who knows..maybe it would have helped. It does have its limits though.
Old 09-22-2003, 12:28 AM
04 remembrance

Ouch -_-;; sorry to see that.
Old 09-22-2003, 12:35 AM
Pro

VSA could have helped.. Did your airbags go off at all? And is your TSX still driveable at the moment?
Old 09-22-2003, 12:55 AM
Banned

I don't think turning the VSA **OFF** causes a **noticable** increase in performance. Not enough to override the added safety of having it ON while one is "pushing it to the limit". I'm glad you're ok... but I hope that this story will convince people to leave the VSA ON... especially when gunning the car through corners.
Old 09-22-2003, 12:56 AM
wiz
Pro

Damn foo...sorry to hear that. Looks like your TSX has quite a shiner there in the front...hopefully getting it fixed back to normal will not be too difficult. I used to turn the VSA off all the time too when I drive, but now I just leave it on, I find that it actually helps me more than it hurts me, unless I'm like racing or need to spin the tires for some reason. Good luck!
Old 09-22-2003, 07:58 AM
Instructor

Dont worry, car can be fixed. Just be more careful next time. Hey, now you have an excuse to get JDM hightlights and Aero front bumper.
Old 09-22-2003, 07:58 AM

ouch, sorry to hear bro...painful looking at those pix
Old 09-22-2003, 08:47 AM
Racer

aaarrrgggghhhhh!...that sucks...sorry foo.

On the upside it would be pretty easy to install a CAI...
Old 09-22-2003, 09:06 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by fdl
DEVO..I know that.... In case you missed it foo has been complaining that his rear pass. door doesnt match the color of the rest of his car...so some think it was actually re-painted. Thats why i said maybe his new panels will now match his door. Just a joke anyways.
i missed that one...
Old 09-22-2003, 10:30 AM
fdl
Senior Moderator

Originally posted by DEVO
i missed that one...
Its ok..it was in bad taste anyways I'm glad foo is ok and noone was hurt.
Old 09-22-2003, 12:05 PM
STC
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Good thing youre OK. Thats the most important.
You better make sure the frame isnt bent. Actually w/ a new car, I hope your insurance w/ total it for u so you can get a new one.

Good luck
Old 09-22-2003, 01:31 PM

Originally posted by fdl
lol he said vsa..I'm such a loser troll.
Old 09-22-2003, 01:55 PM
Burning Brakes

Ouch! It's a Satin Silver one too. My sympathies to your and your car!

You had better have it checked out thoroughly to verify that the frame is still correctly aligned. That's very important! Smaller repair shops usually don't have that facility to verify frame alignment, but you should ask when you get repair estimates.
Old 09-22-2003, 02:02 PM
Instructor

I went to the Acura dealership this morning and they referred me to the bodyshop at the Cadillac/Audi dealership. They work on Mercedes as well so the shop seems reputable. I feel more at ease now because that was my first concern, about getting the car look as good as new.

My price estimate came out to be $2800. A lot less than I expected. If I decide to repair the fender rather than replacing it, it will cost me $2400. Other parts that will have to be replaced include front bumper, left headlight/assembly, fender trim, radiator condensor, intake resonator and misc items. As for the suspension, it remains to be seen. On inspection, the tierods seem to be okay. The car drives fine though it will get an alignment just to be sure.

At this point, I'm debating whether or not I should claim it through insurance. My deductible is $1000. While I can pay out of pocket, it will definitely put a strain on my finances. But then again, I'm also concerned about the higher premiums on my insurance. Currently, I'm paying $377 per 6 months. (I was accident free until now). I tried to call my agent, but he wasn't available (State Farm).
Old 09-22-2003, 02:11 PM
Advanced

I say pay it yourself, try to keep your record accident free. You never know when you might get into a more serious accident (either your fault or not) and if it does happen soon, you will suddenly be transfered to their high risk department and get premiums thru the roof.
Old 09-22-2003, 05:52 PM
STC
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Fooman - your insurance is $754/yr???
Thats f'n cheap! I pay 1350 a yr and thats w/ house insurance. no accidents/tickets.
Old 09-22-2003, 06:32 PM
Pro

PAY IT YOURSELF. You'll end up paying that amount when your premium goes up and trust me, it will. And you may even be put on "risk."

Either pay 1000 dollars and have the insurance company pay the other 2 or pay the other 2 with insurance premiums without hope of insurance getting any cheaper.

Plus, does your insurance company get to choose the body shop or do you? Acura parts or not?

Edit: Look for a few more quotes. Might be able that down a few.

What did the dealership say to you as far as just wrecking the TSX?
Old 09-22-2003, 07:21 PM
Advanced

Originally posted by jackspat2

"Damn, that was quick."
Old 09-22-2003, 07:47 PM
Instructor

I went to the Acura dealership this morning and they referred me to the bodyshop at the Cadillac/Audi dealership. They work on Mercedes as well so the shop seems reputable. I feel more at ease now because that was my first concern, about getting the car look as good as new.

My price estimate came out to be $2800. A lot less than I expected. If I decide to repair the fender rather than replacing it, it will cost me $2400. Other parts that will have to be replaced include front bumper, left headlight/assembly, fender trim, radiator condensor, intake resonator and misc items. As for the suspension, it remains to be seen. On inspection, the tierods seem to be okay. The car drives fine though it will get an alignment just to be sure.

At this point, I'm debating whether or not I should claim it through insurance. My deductible is $1000. While I can pay out of pocket, it will definitely put a strain on my finances. But then again, I'm also concerned about the higher premiums on my insurance. Currently, I'm paying $377 per 6 months. (I was accident free until now). I tried to call my agent, but he wasn't available (State Farm).
some nice front bumper if you want to change....

http://www.clubtsx.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=4892
Old 09-22-2003, 07:51 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by jackspat2

Plus, does your insurance company get to choose the body shop or do you? Acura parts or not?

Edit: Look for a few more quotes. Might be able that down a few.

I finally got in touch with my agent. As it turns out, there's a first car "accident forgiveness" which means that I can claim without having a rise in my premiums. This is good since money is tight and will be even more after I pay my $1000 deductible.

I chose the bodyshop, recommended by the Acura dealer here, which by the way were very sympathetic to my poor TSX. Too bad they didn't offer me a new TSX as a trade.

Anyway, the bodyshop fixes Cadillacs, Audis, and Mercedes as well as Acuras. I think my TSX is in good hands.
Old 09-22-2003, 07:57 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by STC
Fooman - your insurance is $754/yr???
Thats f'n cheap! I pay 1350 a yr and thats w/ house insurance. no accidents/tickets.
Yeah, I'm paying about $75 more for the TSX than my previous car, '98 Integra. It maybe because I only drive about 20 miles a week now between my apartment and school. On the weekends, I would drive down to Pittsburgh to see my girlfriend. That's about it. Plus, I'm 26 which gave me a huge discount, and I'm still in school (medschool), which also gives me another discount I believe.
Old 09-22-2003, 09:18 PM
Pro

I finally got in touch with my agent. As it turns out, there's a first car "accident forgiveness" which means that I can claim without having a rise in my premiums.
State Farm you said? Wow. That is nice.
Old 09-22-2003, 10:33 PM
such a dirty birdy

fooman, sounds like you'll be OK making the claim then. But the skeptic in me says you might want to get the "accident forgiveness" thing in writing first, just in case they forget to forgive when it comes time to renew your policy. Good luck getting your baby back in shape, I hope it comes out well.

Quick Reply: just wrecked my TSX