just really how fast?

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2004 | 10:21 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Proo
Just another voice in the crowd...

I think this sounds like a great choice for you. It sounds like my motivations were somewhat similar. If you're the type of driver that likes to cruise along generally safely passing everyone but not exceeding enough to be pulled over (unless they are just picking on you), it's perfect. It feels really smooth in normal cruising. It handle high speed very well, and for me, the fear of the speedometer and flashing lights on my tail is the only thing I feel when I push it over 100mph.

Don't have expectations that when you floor this thing it will push you back into your seat when you launch it. It doesn't. I also don't feel it to be too "tossable" around corners, but maybe that's just me. I probably wouldn't take it to the track or whip it around corners, not because I'm afraid or feel lacking in the skill to control it, but because I don't want to wear out the tires, clutch, pay track fees, or cause any unnecessary rattles to appear. And yet I want something that I don't need to keep downshifting in order to get on the highway or pass someone, and where I can comfortably go around ramps and bends faster than average traffic. The engine is smooth enough so the occasional redline plunge feels just fine; the only thing I'd worry about is the waste of gas.

I also think it's a great looking car: sporty and unique but mature on the outside, and refined and high-tech but not cushy/soft on the inside. I'm still debating whether to tint the windows or not, but I'm not the type to excessively accessorize, mod, decorate, or upgrade it.

I don't know if any of this rambling helps or relates to you, but I've had it for a year and haven't regretted buying yet.

No I think you did help and I can relate. I too am not looking to go over 100+, but I do want that handling....I know it will not push me in my seat, but it will not feel like I have to "force" the car to giddy up...I sometimes feel it in the Nissan where I have to force a little to make it real power up and fly....I am hoping for the TSX it make minimal effort.
Also, the sporty and unique exterior and refined and high-tech interior is exactly what I want!

So your rambling does help..thanks.
Old 11-07-2004 | 10:25 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Godwhacker
Maybe this is a sign of age (gulp!), but given the speed limits and terrain of where I live, I would prefer to take corners fast and have a car with great handling over straight line speed any day. Of course, around here, its hard to find a mile of straight, flat road (except for maybe a few tunnels).

Right..same here. There are not too many open roads, just wayyy to much traffic (bay area people: 101, 880 and some parts of 85 I am sure you can relate) for me to take it full speed. There are corners so that's a plus The only thing I guess I will probaby be disappointment is the feel of accleration from stop to go at a traffic light....true?

Thanks again
Old 11-07-2004 | 10:41 PM
Instructor

I was recently in the bay area on business for a week and I had a chevy malibu rental car. I remember cruising all the way up and down 101 and going around 70mph actually felt like I was moving rather quickly... sometimes naturally drifted back to 60-65 when I wasn't looking. I'm trying to figure out if it's the car, the unfamiliar roads, or something about the highway surfacing that makes it feel faster. Around here, I have to watch my speedometer or I'm naturally getting up to 130kph.

I was thinking it was the road surface... it seems like there some very slight dips and bumps at regular intervals that sound like beats that might be causing the illusion. When I was in L.A. last year I felt an even more pronounced wavy pattern.

I don't think it's just the car... but maybe it is...
Old 11-07-2004 | 10:42 PM
ric
Safety Car

Originally Posted by A-TL
Right..same here. There are not too many open roads, just wayyy to much traffic (bay area people: 101, 880 and some parts of 85 I am sure you can relate) for me to take it full speed. There are corners so that's a plus The only thing I guess I will probaby be disappointment is the feel of accleration from stop to go at a traffic light....true?

Thanks again
yep - but ya get over it. The handling makes for it and more..........
Old 11-07-2004 | 10:49 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by ric
yep - but ya get over it. The handling makes for it and more..........
oh well, can't get it all unless you got serious $$$$ to spend
Old 11-07-2004 | 11:12 PM
ric
Safety Car

oh well, can't get it all unless you got serious $$$$ to spend
actually, full speed is about 120-133, depending upon whose done it. It just takes a while to get there. However, as the engine moves through its range, it does not loose power in the upper register/higher RPM's; V-tec kicks in as you hit the last available 1000 RPM's and acceleration and power remain true.

Traveling at speed (more than 30, less than 110) the car actually is pretty assertive
Old 11-07-2004 | 11:26 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by ric
actually, full speed is about 120-133, depending upon whose done it. It just takes a while to get there. However, as the engine moves through its range, it does not loose power in the upper register/higher RPM's; V-tec kicks in as you hit the last available 1000 RPM's and acceleration and power remain true.

Traveling at speed (more than 30, less than 110) the car actually is pretty assertive
Interesting....actually if I think about it, most of my driving I do is from 40 - 80 depending on if I am local or on the highway....so I think I would benfit from that assertive behaviour....becuase in the end I only care about the times I would be going in the range of 40 - 80 anyway..
Old 11-08-2004 | 12:48 AM
Instructor

I don't know what most of you guys use to drive, but my previous car was a 95 integra GSR, which i still have BTW, and when I test drove the TSX, I thought it was way better. Not just the overall package, but the engine as well. It's not really built for speed but it has just enough power to satisfy me. The Integra was 170hp vs 200hp in the TSX. That plus the TSX has more torque. And, it doesn't have the "boy racer" image like it does with the integra. I'm sure it'll be better than your nissan in every way.

Not to put you down, but my 95 integra has about the same resale value as your 2000 GXE. =)
Old 11-08-2004 | 06:49 AM
Moderator Alumnus

A-TL, first, congrads on the excellent thread you got going there.

I have always driven Accords and Civics, so for me the TSX is the most powerful car I've driven yet. The fact that it is not a downright quick car is not too much of a problem for me. It is still much better than what I had before.

IF you can remain modest about your car and not try and smoke every G35 at every traffic light, then you'll enjoy the car. As many have said, I am still enticed by the handling of the TSX, and so far I have driven 125,000km of delight.

The other thing that I really appreciate about the TSX is it's ability to be fuel efficient, despite it's 200hp. You will not find such a good efficiency in any other 200hp car. I don't know whether it matters to you or not, though.

Anyway, since the day I've jumped into the TSX, I've never looked back. I would expect it to be the same for you.

Good luck, and go test drive one ASAP!
Old 11-08-2004 | 06:53 AM
Race Director

Originally Posted by sauceman
The other thing that I really appreciate about the TSX is it's ability to be fuel efficient, despite it's 200hp. You will not find such a good efficiency in any other 200hp car. I don't know whether it matters to you or not, though.
The new E90 325 on paper will be almost a copy of the TSX (except the overall length) and it will be as fuel efficient too - they finally have geared it right.
Old 11-08-2004 | 06:59 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by biker
The new E90 325 on paper will be almost a copy of the TSX (except the overall length) and it will be as fuel efficient too - they finally have geared it right.
That's good to hear.
Old 11-08-2004 | 07:06 AM
Suzuka Master

I thought the 2000 B15 was only 126hp.

EDIT:

I forgot they made a 2.0L for that year.
Old 11-08-2004 | 08:54 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by rivvin
I don't know what most of you guys use to drive, but my previous car was a 95 integra GSR, which i still have BTW, and when I test drove the TSX, I thought it was way better. Not just the overall package, but the engine as well. It's not really built for speed but it has just enough power to satisfy me. The Integra was 170hp vs 200hp in the TSX. That plus the TSX has more torque. And, it doesn't have the "boy racer" image like it does with the integra. I'm sure it'll be better than your nissan in every way.

Not to put you down, but my 95 integra has about the same resale value as your 2000 GXE. =)

Thanks for the info...that is what I was looking. However, I am not clear by the point of

"Not to put you down, but my 95 integra has about the same resale value as your 2000 GXE."....do you mean in terms of value or how much I paid for the car? Let me know, I can explain that....I can even turn that into a question/advice for me....hahaha..
Old 11-08-2004 | 08:57 AM
Pimp Master T

I recently took the TSX for a test drive, and was pleasently surprised on how much tourque that little 4 banger puts out. It really pulls. I finalized the deal on friday, picking it up tomorrow
Old 11-08-2004 | 08:57 AM
Racer

A-Tl,

Glad i was able to pull you from the TL community. You will get tons of advises over here for TSX. Take a test drive today. Oh by the way, it costs less than $1000 to replace the whole TSX front bumper and i was quite surprice for that.

Chee
Old 11-08-2004 | 10:36 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by BigTSX
I recently took the TSX for a test drive, and was pleasently surprised on how much tourque that little 4 banger puts out. It really pulls. I finalized the deal on friday, picking it up tomorrow

Congrats!
Old 11-08-2004 | 10:43 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by cheepung
A-Tl,

Glad i was able to pull you from the TL community. You will get tons of advises over here for TSX. Take a test drive today. Oh by the way, it costs less than $1000 to replace the whole TSX front bumper and i was quite surprice for that.

Chee

Chee, thanks for the welcome. I agree, the great responses I get is awesome! I am glad people actually care. Love the forum.

I love the TL, but just can't afford it right now...so the opt for its brother ...TSX
Old 11-08-2004 | 11:30 AM
Racer

Yeah, i have a TSX and it is a great car. The things that i love are engine sound great, HID light, and quiet. The things that i hate are HUGE turning circle, a bit lack of power and touchy brake.

When you look at the whole package, you can't beat that in the 25K range. By the way, if you need something similar in the 20K range, check out the Mazda 3. IMO, these two cars define the gold standard in their price range.

Chee
Old 11-08-2004 | 11:55 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by cheepung
Yeah, i have a TSX and it is a great car. The things that i love are engine sound great, HID light, and quiet. The things that i hate are HUGE turning circle, a bit lack of power and touchy brake.
The turning radius isnt as bad as some cars. I believe it has a 38 or 39 foot turining radius. Nissan is known for wide turning radius. Both the Maxima and Altima have like a 44 foot turning radius.
Old 11-08-2004 | 01:07 PM
Racer

Consider i still drive my 5 speed manual Elantra with a turning circle of 32.5, i can really make some quick tight turns without shifting into reverse. I just hate that on the TSX especially it is almost powerless during low rpm with AUTO. Anyway, i still love this car.

Chee
Old 11-11-2004 | 11:08 AM
Pro

I've driven V6s my whole life and this is my first 4 cylinder. When I first bought the car, I thought it was lacking, but you just have to learn to push it. In V6 engines, you don't need to pass 3-4 RPM to get power. When I first started driving my car I didn't push it past 4 much.

BUT DAMN.... once you hit 4K, you're off!!!! Just have to learn to rev the engine.

I jumped off the line with a new trans am, not sure how hard he was pushing it but he peeled out too. I ended up about 2 feet behind him before we got to the next light <-- not sure if that helps.
Old 11-11-2004 | 01:00 PM
Not an Ashtray

Originally Posted by DEI99662
The turning radius isnt as bad as some cars. I believe it has a 38 or 39 foot turining radius. Nissan is known for wide turning radius. Both the Maxima and Altima have like a 44 foot turning radius.

TSX has a 40 ft turning radius, which is one of the worst in the class.
Old 11-11-2004 | 02:14 PM
Burning Brakes

Thanks again
umm i'd ahve to disagree about that. you can get a nice feeling of being put back to your seat where you can still control the car. i get that feeling everytime i push it hard. Maybe most people who have said they dont feel it forgot to turn off the VSA. lol i got smoked by a 04 accord LX 4 door becuase i forgot to turn off the vsa. after that .. i hung with a 02 v6 accord. and theres a bigggg difference in acceleration with the vsa off.
Old 11-11-2004 | 03:34 PM
Racer

TSX has a 40 ft turning radius, which is one of the worst in the class.

FYI, both RL and TL have smaller radius consider their sizes. Since i have shift into reverse all the time, i hope Honda's transmission will last. Let cross the fingers. Everytime i have shift into reverse, i start cursing the design. That just completely damage the whole slick and performance design of TSX. Oh... you can't turn
Old 11-11-2004 | 08:03 PM
Intermediate

I drive an 97 Nissan Altima MT. Same HP but I don't know if you have an Altima, Maxima or otherwise. I also regularly drive a 2000 Bimmer 3 series also MT with Sports Package and some mods. When I test drove the TSX it was so much peppier than my Altima. The throw on my car is so long, the seat is too far over to the left, etc... that it's just really silly. I've tried to rev the thing high for some fun but it doesn't like to stay up there at all. The TSX is quite comfy up there. In fact by my readings, it's quite happy up there after the break in period. Not complaining about the Altima as a regular commuter though. I haven't had any mechanical/electrical problems with it. Zip. Nada. And still running at 125K miles. If it weren't for the rusting and my unwillingness to begin to replace well-used parts, I wouldn't consider buying a replacement now. I considered a lightly used BMW/Audi/<insert all the usual suspects here> but I have fallen in love with the TSX when I by chance visited a local Acura dealership in between test drives with other brands. You'll never forget that it's a 4 cylinder engine. It just doesn't have that growl of a V6. But it's no a 90 pound weakling either. Handles wonderfully. You can't beat the interior for the money nor can you beat Honda reliability and quality. Have you considered the Honda Accord Coupe V6? Fully equiped with nav it's a bit cheaper than the TSX with nav (and I think it's essentially the same nav set aside the Acura screen). I just don't like it's exterior much so I've avoided even a test drive. I would've bought the TSX a few months ago but I really want that nav and am saving the extra few grand for it as part of the down payment for a 2005. Just my two cents. Good luck.
Old 11-11-2004 | 08:19 PM
I'm the Firestarter

A-TL,
I had a 150 hp Accord coupe before the TSX, and I notice an increase in power (PS. I have an AT TSX so if you're going for MT you should get even more).

Once in a while I wonder if more power would have been cool, but I far more often appreciate the fuel efficiency and EVERY SINGLE TIME I get behind the wheel I get a big grin because the handling is so good.
Old 11-11-2004 | 09:54 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by BluesMama
I drive an 97 Nissan Altima MT. Same HP but I don't know if you have an Altima, Maxima or otherwise. I also regularly drive a 2000 Bimmer 3 series also MT with Sports Package and some mods. When I test drove the TSX it was so much peppier than my Altima. The throw on my car is so long, the seat is too far over to the left, etc... that it's just really silly. I've tried to rev the thing high for some fun but it doesn't like to stay up there at all. The TSX is quite comfy up there. In fact by my readings, it's quite happy up there after the break in period. Not complaining about the Altima as a regular commuter though. I haven't had any mechanical/electrical problems with it. Zip. Nada. And still running at 125K miles. If it weren't for the rusting and my unwillingness to begin to replace well-used parts, I wouldn't consider buying a replacement now. I considered a lightly used BMW/Audi/<insert all the usual suspects here> but I have fallen in love with the TSX when I by chance visited a local Acura dealership in between test drives with other brands. You'll never forget that it's a 4 cylinder engine. It just doesn't have that growl of a V6. But it's no a 90 pound weakling either. Handles wonderfully. You can't beat the interior for the money nor can you beat Honda reliability and quality. Have you considered the Honda Accord Coupe V6? Fully equiped with nav it's a bit cheaper than the TSX with nav (and I think it's essentially the same nav set aside the Acura screen). I just don't like it's exterior much so I've avoided even a test drive. I would've bought the TSX a few months ago but I really want that nav and am saving the extra few grand for it as part of the down payment for a 2005. Just my two cents. Good luck.
Thank you for your review. I have a 2000 Nissian GXE, so I think a TSX will feel like nothing like it based on your review. I did consider the coupe v6, but I just don't like the shape (exterior) ...kinda turns me off

yeah, i heard it doesn't growl, but at least it will feel much faster than my nissan...

one car at a time

thanks again
Old 11-11-2004 | 09:57 PM
Troutslap Mod-DUH-rator

i drove the new v6 accord 6sp. very very quick.

i just can't get over the appearance of it. i don't like it
Old 11-11-2004 | 09:57 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Belzebutt
A-TL,
I had a 150 hp Accord coupe before the TSX, and I notice an increase in power (PS. I have an AT TSX so if you're going for MT you should get even more).

Once in a while I wonder if more power would have been cool, but I far more often appreciate the fuel efficiency and EVERY SINGLE TIME I get behind the wheel I get a big grin because the handling is so good.
That's true, the good side of the 4cyl 200hp, is that it will not gulp down gas, therefore, I could save some $$$ down the line...perhaps towards a bigger, faster engine Oh and yes, I was thinking to get an AT. I can't wait to check out the handling

Thanks!
Old 11-11-2004 | 09:58 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by dzuy
i drove the new v6 accord 6sp. very very quick.

i just can't get over the appearance of it. i don't like it
Old 11-12-2004 | 12:32 AM
Instructor

Thanks for the info...that is what I was looking. However, I am not clear by the point of

"Not to put you down, but my 95 integra has about the same resale value as your 2000 GXE."....do you mean in terms of value or how much I paid for the car? Let me know, I can explain that....I can even turn that into a question/advice for me....hahaha..

I was just saying how your car is losing value pretty quick for 2000. Resale for your car is not all that great. SO GET RID OF IT!
Old 11-12-2004 | 11:37 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by rivvin
I was just saying how your car is losing value pretty quick for 2000. Resale for your car is not all that great. SO GET RID OF IT!

Really? Yeah I need to pay back the car to my uncle, then I can get rid it...However, the title and all that is under my name, so theortically I can sell the car, but then I would be making payments on a used-new car and the nissan itself....unless there is another way!

Old 11-12-2004 | 11:38 AM
Troutslap Mod-DUH-rator

wish they put that motor in the tsx
Old 11-12-2004 | 11:39 AM
Pro

FYI - Many of us could afford the new TL but chose the TSX as the "better" car (for us). I wrote a post some time ago as to why it was for me.

As for the TSX - note that insurance will be more reasonable with a 4dr 4-cyl than with a larger engine and/or 2drs, esp. at age 22. Not saying it's cheap, just more reasonable.

That being said, have you considered a new RSX? What about a slightly used TL or CL?
Old 11-12-2004 | 11:41 AM
Troutslap Mod-DUH-rator

Originally Posted by vitocorleone
FYI - Many of us could afford the new TL but chose the TSX as the "better" car (for us). I wrote a post some time ago as to why it was for me.

As for the TSX - note that insurance will be more reasonable with a 4dr 4-cyl than with a larger engine and/or 2drs, esp. at age 22. Not saying it's cheap, just more reasonable.

That being said, have you considered a new RSX? What about a slightly used TL or CL?
i love the 03 cl-S 6SP in anthracite. wish i could have found one
Old 11-12-2004 | 12:35 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by vitocorleone

That's true regarding the insurance.

I'm not really into the RSX actually. I was thinking about a slightly used TL and TSX. If I got some good/lucky deal, I was choose the TL, if not..then the TSX!