just really how fast?

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2004, 04:51 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
just really how fast?

Hey everyone,

I am here from the TL community...I am thinking to purchase a TSX (even though the TL is sooo sweet....can't afford one at this point)

Anways, I have seen a lot of debate from everywhere and this is for the people who have mentioned the TSX is slow becuase its a 4 cyl. 200 hp engine.....

I drive 2000 GXE and its a 4cyl 155hp. I have not driven anything more than that. My question is: given that info, would it really matter for me, make a HUGE differnce, or would it be "fast enough" for a person who has only experience a 155hp engine??

I wanted to know for those of you have said its kinda slow...have you guys driven faster/powerful cars before driving the TSX to state that?

Thanks for your help!

I am sorry if this a repost in anyway....
Old 11-07-2004, 04:55 PM
04 remembrance

Definitely.

I'm not sure about the GXE's weight/0-60 time/etc, however Honda engines are highrevving, so your driving experience will definitely be different.

I'm not quite sure about the acceleration or the overall "quickness", but if you're looking for a car that's fast, look the other way.
Old 11-07-2004, 04:55 PM
Race Director

At 18, ive driven many cars, but nothing more substantially fast then a bmw 3 series, all i can say is the TSX is "quick", and does deliver nice numbers, however it is not a STI or EVO in terms of speed.

The tsx has a great mix of luxury, styling and overall quickness, however if you are aiming for more along the lines of speed, you might want to look into another car. Most people did not buy the TSX for the engine, but it's overall package.

Hope that helped.
Old 11-07-2004, 04:56 PM
Race Director

Lol iamhomin, we posted at the same time...
Old 11-07-2004, 04:56 PM
Boy Genius

Best way to know for sure is to take one out for a test drive.
Old 11-07-2004, 05:00 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by iamhomin
Definitely.

I'm not sure about the GXE's weight/0-60 time/etc, however Honda engines are highrevving, so your driving experience will definitely be different.

I'm not quite sure about the acceleration or the overall "quickness", but if you're looking for a car that's fast, look the other way.

Yeah I want a car that is fast, but then again, having never felt anything aside 155hp 4cyl, I don't know if would be able to tell the difference...( I am hoping I can with the TSX)

And yes, I want "noticeable" accleration and speed...

I am not looking for speeds/accleration like a M3...but something that I can definalty feel and notice coming from my Nissan...

Thanks iamhomin
Old 11-07-2004, 05:01 PM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
Fast enough, yes. Even the piddly little Toyota Echo can comfortably travel on US freeways without worry of not being fast enough.

If you're looking for a quick car (i.e. low 0-60 and quarter mile times), then I highly suggest you look into an alternative because the TSX is definitely not a quick car in a straight line.
Old 11-07-2004, 05:03 PM
04 remembrance

If you want fast at a cheap price, the SRT is the car for you.

Just make sure the engine doesn't fall when you accelerate.

Old 11-07-2004, 05:04 PM
Race Director

Old 11-07-2004, 05:05 PM
Old fart

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
The TSX is definately fast enough for normal everyday driving...IMO
Old 11-07-2004, 05:06 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by RMATIC09
At 18, ive driven many cars, but nothing more substantially fast then a bmw 3 series, all i can say is the TSX is "quick", and does deliver nice numbers, however it is not a STI or EVO in terms of speed.

The tsx has a great mix of luxury, styling and overall quickness, however if you are aiming for more along the lines of speed, you might want to look into another car. Most people did not buy the TSX for the engine, but it's overall package.

Hope that helped.

Right...which is why the TSX is most attractive: its overall package. I mean the Mazda6 has power but IMNO its lacks the package on the TSX.

I am not looking to race or go over 90+...just something I can get a nice feel out of while commuting to and from...

I wouldn't want to get the TSX if it will feel the same as my Nissan....I highly doubt it..

Thanks RMATIC09
Old 11-07-2004, 05:07 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by TSX 'R' US
The TSX is definately fast enough for normal everyday driving...IMO
Ah ha!..just want I wanted to know...I want it to be "fast enough" for home to work..not to be a evo or sti or take it to the tracks

Thank you tsx 'r' us
Old 11-07-2004, 05:09 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by CGTSX2004
Fast enough, yes. Even the piddly little Toyota Echo can comfortably travel on US freeways without worry of not being fast enough.

If you're looking for a quick car (i.e. low 0-60 and quarter mile times), then I highly suggest you look into an alternative because the TSX is definitely not a quick car in a straight line.

thank you...yeah I am not ready to do the quater mile times just yet...but as long as i can feel the power, and accleration, and speed for normal driving...I am good to go!
Old 11-07-2004, 05:10 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by iamhomin
If you want fast at a cheap price, the SRT is the car for you.

Just make sure the engine doesn't fall when you accelerate.

Respect My Authoritah

Originally Posted by lokman
Instructor

The car is reasonably fast enough to get you around quicker than most. Coming from a 2001 S4 (0-60 in around 5.5 seconds), I don't feel like I'm driving some slug mobile.

Like someone else suggested, a Dodge SRT will be the fastest thing you can buy in its price range, but you'll probably end up going back to the dealer on a regular basis for warranty issues.
Old 11-07-2004, 05:11 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by lokman

Yes will do....I just hope i can tell the difference...but judging from what people are saying so far..I think I will

Thanks
Old 11-07-2004, 05:14 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by brett
The car is reasonably fast enough to get you around quicker than most. Coming from a 2001 S4 (0-60 in around 5.5 seconds), I don't feel like I'm driving some slug mobile.

Like someone else suggested, a Dodge SRT will be the fastest thing you can buy in its price range, but you'll probably end up going back to the dealer on a regular basis for warranty issues.

Yup, as with all, I am not found taking trips to the dealers ...hahaha

I am glad you told me that it not a slug mobile and you can back it up since you came from an s4....

No hint of a slug mobile = good enough for me at this point!

Thanks Brett!
Old 11-07-2004, 05:16 PM
Burning Brakes

yeah i think it's fast enough .. ~
if i called echo class 1 RSX permium/Mazda 3 will be class 2
TSX will be 3 ~ and a non Type-S TL will be 3 also .... where G35 is 4 and M3 is like 5 ~
Old 11-07-2004, 05:17 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Andynolife
yeah i think it's fast enough .. ~
if i called echo class 1 RSX permium/Mazda 3 will be class 2
TSX will be 3 ~ and a non Type-S TL will be 3 also .... where G35 is 4 and M3 is like 5 ~

Old 11-07-2004, 05:27 PM
ric
Safety Car

If raw speed is it, get something else. If you are charmed by a comprehensive package that involves very tidy handling and the ability to throw the car around a bit packaged in a clean, understated and very comfortable body and interior, the TSX will fit the bill perfectly. If you search these threads, you will find that most of us would like about another 40 hp, if that helps quantify the perception of "lack of power". Moreover, there are pitched battles over the limpwristed at drivers vs the macho mt's (I have an at) which further reduces pure power application.

If you're looking for a fun way to get to work without hanging your head in shame, this will do it. When you test drive, be sure to snark this thing around on some curvaceous turf; this car eats curves very very nicely.

I looked at the TL and then drove the TSX for the heckufit and ended up preferring it over the TL for a lot of reasons, not the least of which is it's handling. You can find that comparison in a number of threads as well if you run a TSX vs TL search.
Old 11-07-2004, 05:52 PM
Instructor

Ric...well explained

I think you hit dead-on on some of the things I am looking for:

"If you are charmed by a comprehensive package that involves very tidy handling and the ability to throw the car around a bit packaged in a clean, understated and very comfortable body and interior".....

"If you're looking for a fun way to get to work without hanging your head in shame, this will do it. ".....EXACTLY what I am looking for! Something fun, and my no means laughed at (in terms of reasonable power)

"When you test drive, be sure to snark this thing around on some curvaceous turf; this car eats curves very very nicely." ...are you saying that it sticks to the road like glue??? (I hope that is is a strong YES)..
Old 11-07-2004, 05:52 PM
Just dial 1911

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by A-TL
Yeah I want a car that is fast, but then again, having never felt anything aside 155hp 4cyl, I don't know if would be able to tell the difference...( I am hoping I can with the TSX)

And yes, I want "noticeable" accleration and speed...

I am not looking for speeds/accleration like a M3...but something that I can definalty feel and notice coming from my Nissan...

Thanks iamhomin
If you thought a 155hp Sentra was "fast", then yes, the TSX will feel faster...

Go test drive one...
Old 11-07-2004, 05:55 PM
Burning Brakes

second to that .. ~ TSX is easy to drive ....
at least i dont have the guts to race with my frd in a rainy day with my G ... sthing wrong with every G's rear wheels .. ~~ so unstable .. ~~
TSX is easy to handle and avoid deadly accident ~ and req. less skill to drive fast
Old 11-07-2004, 05:56 PM
Just dial 1911

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
"When you test drive, be sure to snark this thing around on some curvaceous turf; this car eats curves very very nicely." ...are you saying that it sticks to the road like glue??? (I hope that is is a strong YES)..
Stock tires stick well, but they squeal like pigs. Aftermarket tires and rims helps this tenfold.
Old 11-07-2004, 06:00 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by joerockt
If you thought a 155hp Sentra was "fast", then yes, the TSX will feel faster...

Go test drive one...
No I think it is kind of slow, but then again I have not compared it to anything....will do about the test drive

Just wanted to hear everyone views before i go test drive it so i am not clueless as to what to expect...

thanks
Old 11-07-2004, 06:02 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Andynolife
second to that .. ~ TSX is easy to drive ....
at least i dont have the guts to race with my frd in a rainy day with my G ... sthing wrong with every G's rear wheels .. ~~ so unstable .. ~~
TSX is easy to handle and avoid deadly accident ~ and req. less skill to drive fast

Good to know...at age 22 I think I will fit in with the TSX based on what you have said ..thanks
Old 11-07-2004, 06:03 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by joerockt
Stock tires stick well, but they squeal like pigs. Aftermarket tires and rims helps this tenfold.
Yup, I was planning on changing the tires for sure....was thinking 18s...but I will leave for another thread, and after I actually get the TSX.....

As long as I am really assured that it will stick well (with aftermarkets tires) I am
Old 11-07-2004, 06:09 PM
Master in Science

but something that I can definalty feel and notice coming from my Nissan...
Check out the new Legacy. It will push you into the seat.
Old 11-07-2004, 06:11 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by slo007
I did. My friend just got one.

Its powerful and nice, but I like the overall package for the TSX...nonetheless Legacy was quite the ride.

thanks.
Old 11-07-2004, 07:11 PM
White and Nerdy

Car & Driver claims the new 2005 Mustang GT version with a 300-hp, 4.6-liter, 24-valve SOHC 90-degree V-8, may go for less than $25,000. I've never been a huge fan of the Mustang (I had a Firebird back in HS), but if you want straight ahead speed for around 25 large, that might be the car for you.

However, I do like the retro styling and the new commercial for the new Mustang (with a computer generated Steve Mc Queen in a take off of "Field of Dreams"). But I will never own another American "big 3" brand automobile, but thats just me!
Old 11-07-2004, 07:16 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Godwhacker
Car & Driver claims the new 2005 Mustang GT version with a 300-hp, 4.6-liter, 24-valve SOHC 90-degree V-8, may go for less than $25,000. I've never been a huge fan of the Mustang (I had a Firebird back in HS), but if you want straight ahead speed for around 25 large, that might be the car for you.

However, I do like the retro styling and the new commercial for the new Mustang (with a computer generated Steve Mc Queen in a take off of "Field of Dreams"). But I will never own another American "big 3" brand automobile, but thats just me!

Yup I saw that.

4.6-liter, 24-valve, v-8 for maybe less than 25K...wow! Not bad at all...one problem: I am not to found of the styling and never really was into the mustang. IMO.

Thanks for that suggestion though!
Old 11-07-2004, 08:01 PM
She said: it's GINORMOUS!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i have never been been happy with a sedan (short of a bmw), but this car is a joy for $27k

once you're moving take the tach up at 6k rpm, it's all smiles...suspension mods a plus!
Old 11-07-2004, 08:05 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by mg7726
i have never been been happy with a sedan (short of a bmw), but this car is a joy for $27k

once you're moving take the tach up at 6k rpm, it's all smiles...suspension mods a plus!
Nice! Yup I will get the tires and suspension upgrades first....
Old 11-07-2004, 08:15 PM
04 remembrance

Originally Posted by slo007
Ah, it fits your criteria. Now why haven't I thought about that before..

Old 11-07-2004, 08:16 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Godwhacker
Car & Driver claims the new 2005 Mustang GT version with a 300-hp, 4.6-liter, 24-valve SOHC 90-degree V-8, may go for less than $25,000.
Not a problem in CA, but one snowy winter and you'll forget all about 300 hp as you try and negotiate a 5% incline as you spin your tires while the FWD cars fly by.
Old 11-07-2004, 08:28 PM
ric
Safety Car

Ric...well explained

I think you hit dead-on on some of the things I am looking for:
Acura engineering has taken some steps to compensate for classic front wheel drive understeer. The car handles very precisely in curves, and I had to learn to adapt a bit, my previous car being quite prone to understeer. The steering is very precise, and for some, too quick, though I have found it - once I spent about three or four hundred miles with the car - to be a true delight. The Car and Driver reviews explain in in technical terms what has been done to achieve the handling (or one of the more skilled guys on this thread can tell you), but apparently Acura has maximized the ability to "dampen" understeer to thet max possible while still using front wheel drive. It was one of the differences between the TSX and the TL, which - I found to be powerful and a bit too large and "conventional" in its handling for my taste.
Old 11-07-2004, 09:54 PM
White and Nerdy

Maybe this is a sign of age (gulp!), but given the speed limits and terrain of where I live, I would prefer to take corners fast and have a car with great handling over straight line speed any day. Of course, around here, its hard to find a mile of straight, flat road (except for maybe a few tunnels).
Old 11-07-2004, 10:12 PM
Instructor

Just another voice in the crowd...

I think this sounds like a great choice for you. It sounds like my motivations were somewhat similar. If you're the type of driver that likes to cruise along generally safely passing everyone but not exceeding enough to be pulled over (unless they are just picking on you), it's perfect. It feels really smooth in normal cruising. It handle high speed very well, and for me, the fear of the speedometer and flashing lights on my tail is the only thing I feel when I push it over 100mph.

Don't have expectations that when you floor this thing it will push you back into your seat when you launch it. It doesn't. I also don't feel it to be too "tossable" around corners, but maybe that's just me. I probably wouldn't take it to the track or whip it around corners, not because I'm afraid or feel lacking in the skill to control it, but because I don't want to wear out the tires, clutch, pay track fees, or cause any unnecessary rattles to appear. And yet I want something that I don't need to keep downshifting in order to get on the highway or pass someone, and where I can comfortably go around ramps and bends faster than average traffic. The engine is smooth enough so the occasional redline plunge feels just fine; the only thing I'd worry about is the waste of gas.

I also think it's a great looking car: sporty and unique but mature on the outside, and refined and high-tech but not cushy/soft on the inside. I'm still debating whether to tint the windows or not, but I'm not the type to excessively accessorize, mod, decorate, or upgrade it.

I don't know if any of this rambling helps or relates to you, but I've had it for a year and haven't regretted buying yet.
Old 11-07-2004, 10:13 PM
Instructor

Oh, to add to that, I came from mostly SUV's and minivans, so my saying that the handling seems incomparable is probably not too meaningful.

Quick Reply: just really how fast?