Just drove a BMW 330i

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2004, 12:35 AM
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Buff-Daddy
Please be patient as Jason takes a break from reality. Hopefully he will be back with us again soon...
Dude if you offer me a loaded 330i or a TSX with nav, I go TSX. I have no use for BMW. That's just my opinion and I realize I may be in the minority.
Old 04-07-2004, 12:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jason, u might want to read this article. The end has an Acura rep saying they are going after BMW.

http://www.acura-tsx.com/forums/show...&threadid=8195
Old 04-07-2004, 12:44 AM
Drifting

Originally posted by 1SICKLEX
Jason, u might want to read this article. The end has an Acura rep saying they are going after BMW.

http://www.acura-tsx.com/forums/show...&threadid=8195
Yeah that's the sad reality. I hope they don't become too BMW-like. I'm not saying BMW doesn't build good cars, but I don't like their image or history. I just could not live with a BMW. My father-in-law has a 325 (I know, not the 330) and I'm not all that impressed. I never really have been impressed by the 3-series.
Old 04-07-2004, 12:47 AM
Pro

Originally posted by Jason
Dude if you offer me a loaded 330i or a TSX with nav, I go TSX. I have no use for BMW. That's just my opinion and I realize I may be in the minority.
Just because you don't have a use for one doesn't mean it isn't the benchmark.
Old 04-07-2004, 12:50 AM
Drifting

Just because you don't have a use for one doesn't mean it isn't the benchmark.
Just because you do doesn't mean it should be.
Old 04-07-2004, 12:52 AM
Pro

Just because you do doesn't mean it should be.
I think it's the automotive industry that has been calling it the benchmark for at least the last 10 years, not me. You on the other hand are the only one calling the TSX the benchmark and there is a reason for that...
Old 04-07-2004, 12:57 AM
Drifting

You on the other hand are the only one calling the TSX the benchmark and there is a reason for that...
...which is...?
Old 04-07-2004, 12:57 AM
Pinky all stinky

Received 189 Likes on 117 Posts
Yeah that's the sad reality. I hope they don't become too BMW-like. I'm not saying BMW doesn't build good cars, but I don't like their image or history. I just could not live with a BMW. My father-in-law has a 325 (I know, not the 330) and I'm not all that impressed. I never really have been impressed by the 3-series.
I think a lot of people read that article and immediately think that Acura is targeting BMW with cars, but if you read closely, the guy said they're going after BMW's image, which is that of a hip brand coveted by the young (or young at heart) and affluent.

With that said, I don't think it's such a loaded comment...isn't everyone targeting BMW anyway?
Old 04-07-2004, 01:04 AM
Pro

...which is...?
2 Words, Crack Pipe!
Old 04-07-2004, 01:07 AM
Drifting

2 Words, Crack Pipe!
Then bring on the rock!
Old 04-07-2004, 07:12 AM
I spend 2 much time here

Received 103 Likes on 67 Posts
THis is the type of crack i like

EDIT: Sorry Jigga, not the thread for it. Dom
Old 04-07-2004, 08:17 AM
Moderator Alumnus

I think it's the automotive industry that has been calling it the benchmark for at least the last 10 years, not me. You on the other hand are the only one calling the TSX the benchmark and there is a reason for that...
Let me help you out a bit .... Jason never said the TSX was the benchmark.. He said he would choose the TSX (which he did). That's the good thing about industry opinions ... it is not a monopoly on opinions

By the way ... if I was keeping a car for 3 years (no more) and money was no object between the two cars ... truth be told the 330i would be in my driveway. But the problem is money IS an object for most people, so is RWD in snow/rain, so is long term reliability (BMW is not the worst, but Honda/Toyota just happen to be the best).

Peace
Old 04-07-2004, 09:48 AM
The Voice of Reason

It's déclassé to put my BMWCCA sticker on my TSX?

Originally posted by JiggaMan
THis is the type of crack i like

EDIT: Sorry Jigga, not the thread for it. Dom
Or maybe...

Mine (which I'm told bears an amazing resemblence to Dennis Franz's) is still sore from waaaaay too many encounters with Maximillian, the white coated service manager with the faux-German accent. The European marques built their reputation both on driving dynamics and on longevity. The superb dynamics may still be there in a BMW but not the durability or longevity or servicibility. Not eveybody can fix one of the Eurocars. But if an ASE-certified tech can't fix a Honda Accord he should hang up his wrench and go to work at Starbucks.

If I kept a car for 3 years, I'd buy a BMW. If I leased a car it would be a BMW. If it were on someone else's nickel (ie. a company car) it would be a BMW.

With my own money and for the long haul it has to be a Toyota or Honda now.
Old 04-07-2004, 11:41 AM
Powered by Hondanium

Originally posted by bob shiftright

If I kept a car for 3 years, I'd buy a BMW. If I leased a car it would be a BMW. If it were on someone else's nickel (ie. a company car) it would be a BMW.

With my own money and for the long haul it has to be a Toyota or Honda now. [/B]
Hehe.... not me. I think I'm a bit of a Honda loyalist. BMW has that snob factor I'd just rather not be associated with (no offense to the bimmer drivers here, just past experience). But in the end it's really about what you like...

The BMW 3-series (which I could afford) just isn't really my taste. Looks/feels like a 40-something's car (IMHO) and that's not really what I was looking for. The TSX is not the best looking car on the market, but it has a bit more of a modern edge that I really liked. I've also been a real fan of the Honda 4-bangers, there's something fun about a rev-happy engine. It's fun to listen to, fun to drive, etc. Besides... BLUE PIMP LIGHT. Need I say more?

Like I said, you drive what you like. If everyone bought a car purely on their numbers then there would be very few cars out there.
Old 04-07-2004, 11:51 AM
Drifting

Originally posted by Mighty1
Hehe.... not me. I think I'm a bit of a Honda loyalist. BMW has that snob factor I'd just rather not be associated with (no offense to the bimmer drivers here, just past experience). But in the end it's really about what you like...

The BMW 3-series (which I could afford) just isn't really my taste. Looks/feels like a 40-something's car (IMHO) and that's not really what I was looking for. The TSX is not the best looking car on the market, but it has a bit more of a modern edge that I really liked. I've also been a real fan of the Honda 4-bangers, there's something fun about a rev-happy engine. It's fun to listen to, fun to drive, etc. Besides... BLUE PIMP LIGHT. Need I say more?

Like I said, you drive what you like. If everyone bought a car purely on their numbers then there would be very few cars out there.
Damn you have impeccable tastes in cars... I have the exact same TSX, had a Milano Red 1997 5MT Prelude. Also had a 1990 Accord DX.
Old 04-07-2004, 11:56 AM
Powered by Hondanium

Damn you have impeccable tastes in cars... I have the exact same TSX, had a Milano Red 1997 5MT Prelude. Also had a 1990 Accord DX.
Great minds think alike.
Old 04-07-2004, 12:57 PM
Niner Faithful

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Yo B Diddy, post up some pictures of your X5 & 3
Old 04-07-2004, 01:15 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by Mighty1
Great minds think alike.
man..how could you've stand the prelude for so long?? that
sh!tbox on wheels was as agile as a tug boat and they managed to make the steering have no feel other than that of an elastic band and decent brakes but no brake feel so you coudnt feel the road. the lude was so detached from the road.. it felt like driving a boat everytime. even after coilovers, and pretty much everything done to the suspension, it cornered good but was still heavy and boatlike with a rough engine.
Old 04-07-2004, 01:20 PM
Drifting

Originally posted by gilboman
man..how could you've stand the prelude for so long?? that
sh!tbox on wheels was as agile as a tug boat and they managed to make the steering have no feel other than that of an elastic band and decent brakes but no brake feel so you coudnt feel the road. the lude was so detached from the road.. it felt like driving a boat everytime. even after coilovers, and pretty much everything done to the suspension, it cornered good but was still heavy and boatlike with a rough engine.
You just lost your final bit of cred with me with that post. You couldn't be further from the truth on the '97 Prelude. Perhaps you're confused because that was the first year of the redesign. I see them on the road today and they still look good. I don't see many BMWs from the late 90's though...
Old 04-07-2004, 01:32 PM