Ipod retrofit revisited

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2005, 12:43 PM
Overlord

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ipod retrofit revisited

With all the hoopla regarding Acura's new support for Ipod, I think something is worth noting. On the Acura website, the '06 RSX, TL, and MDX are already featured. (The TSX and RL are still showing '05 information at present, and ditto for the NSX, as it is going away.) Anyway, NONE of these '06 models seem to mention coming with integrated support for Ipod. We know it's supposed to be coming in TSX, but I thought the same held true for the other '06 models. I couldn't find any Ipod references on any of the '06 model feature lists.

So anyway, here's my point: if it's not listed as standard equipment on the '06 models we have information for now, it should stand to reason that it will be available as a dealer-installed option. If this is the case, then it is also possible that it will be available for pre-'06 model year vehicles.

Maybe that's wishful thinking, but we'll see. It seems to me that utilizing the onscreen controls for the Ipod would require a Nav software update in order to support it, though. It's perfectly doable, but will it really be made available to us pre-'06 owners?

If anyone has any real information beyond my supposition, please enlighten us.
Old 10-17-2005, 12:54 PM
Rep'n Taxbrain.com

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
From what I've heard, it will be a dealer installed option.

I agree that if the new Ipod integration will be available to pre 06 models, you will need at least a software update. You will also need new hardware to plug into the Ipod.

In seeing all of these new things coming, it makes we wonder about the bandwidth of the Ipod dock connector. I'm worried that even if there is an onscreen interface, it won't be as fast as the speed of the menus on the Ipod itself. The speed of the Ipod menus is very fast considering how much data is there. Unless something comes out that will buffer that data in some way, I'm not sure how much fast the menus will be. I hope I'm wrong.
Old 10-17-2005, 12:56 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You bring up an interested point and something that alot of us are thinking. My guess would be that if they start using the same Navi disk for the '06 TSX and the '05, that they will have to integrate the software into them, thus you will get it when you upgrade your disk. If they keep the disks seperate ie. they use orange and white forever, then it would probably require a hardware upgrade to the '06 hardware. The actual connector itself is a dealer installed option that can be purchased from your dealer for $250 plus install. (reference: acura owner link) If the connector is plug and play then I would assume that someone out there can reverse engineer the thing and get it to those of us who don't want to pay an arm and leg at the dealer. However, the integrated text to speech stuff that they talk about on owner link would still not be supported without a Navi upgrade/hardware upgrade... I guess that's not really "real" information but some more insight perhaps... If you are interested in seeing what I was refering too about the text to speech stuff you can log on to owner link and look at the link in the upper left for iPod.
Old 10-17-2005, 12:57 PM
My Garage

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Not sure if this answers any questions, but...

"The new accessory developed by Acura enables drivers to listen to their iPod in digital sound directly through the audio system in the 2006 Acura RL, TL and TSX sedans and MDX SUV"

"The adaptor will be available starting in mid-December exclusively for purchase and installation at Acura dealers."

Honda News
Old 10-17-2005, 01:00 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Tsx536
In seeing all of these new things coming, it makes we wonder about the bandwidth of the Ipod dock connector. I'm worried that even if there is an onscreen interface, it won't be as fast as the speed of the menus on the Ipod itself. The speed of the Ipod menus is very fast considering how much data is there. Unless something comes out that will buffer that data in some way, I'm not sure how much fast the menus will be. I hope I'm wrong.
This concern is probably nothing to worry about... The menus themselves are extremely small data wise and the ipod docking cable can support speeds up to 480 mbs...
Old 10-17-2005, 01:02 PM
taf
Advanced

06 TSX will have an AUX input for a stereo mini jack which is compatable with any MP3 player not just an iPod. There will also be a dealer installed option available in December for iPod connectivity through the iPod dock connector. Here is the press release on that:

Acura today unveiled the Acura Music Link iPod(R) adaptor, which allows seamless integration between iPod and Acura audio systems. The new accessory developed by Acura enables drivers to listen to their iPod in digital sound directly through the audio system in the 2006 Acura RL, TL and TSX sedans and MDX SUV. Acura Music Link allows drivers to select their music by artist, album, genre and play list through the standard controls on the audio system head unit. Additionally, the Acura Music Link adaptor will be the first to include text-to-speech capabilities or VoiceID, when searching through the iPod music library with the audio system controls.

It sounds like it will only be for the 06 models, but maybe we'll find out differently when it becomes available.
Old 10-17-2005, 01:06 PM
Overlord

Originally Posted by Tsx536
I hope I'm wrong.
I think you're wrong. LOL, don't take that the wrong way. It's the same connector port that you copy files across, so it's pretty close to USB2.0 speed. If it's fast enough to upload several GB within a few minutes, it's more than fast enough to send the ID3 tag info to the screen and handle the control interface.
Old 10-17-2005, 01:10 PM
Overlord

Originally Posted by cdog12
You bring up an interested point and something that alot of us are thinking. My guess would be that if they start using the same Navi disk for the '06 TSX and the '05, that they will have to integrate the software into them, thus you will get it when you upgrade your disk. If they keep the disks seperate ie. they use orange and white forever, then it would probably require a hardware upgrade to the '06 hardware. The actual connector itself is a dealer installed option that can be purchased from your dealer for $250 plus install. (reference: acura owner link) If the connector is plug and play then I would assume that someone out there can reverse engineer the thing and get it to those of us who don't want to pay an arm and leg at the dealer. However, the integrated text to speech stuff that they talk about on owner link would still not be supported without a Navi upgrade/hardware upgrade... I guess that's not really "real" information but some more insight perhaps... If you are interested in seeing what I was refering too about the text to speech stuff you can log on to owner link and look at the link in the upper left for iPod.
The Orange and White disk systems ARE seperate, and will always be. Since the code on each is for a distinct processor, one can never run on the other system. This year's new release for the Orange disk (2004-2005 TSX) is version 3.5 Orange, and will be available in a couple of weeks. The White disk is version 4.31, and is for an entire different computing platform than what exists in our 04-05 TSXs. However, it would be easy for them to put the appropriate code in version 3.5 Orange to enable whatever is necessary. The question is will they do it?
Old 10-17-2005, 05:46 PM
Instructor

My big frustration is why all of this is such a mystery. If they're coming out in December, wouldn't you think they are already in production, thus meaning the design and compatibility issues have already been decided?
Old 10-17-2005, 06:38 PM
Rep'n Taxbrain.com

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by cdog12
This concern is probably nothing to worry about... The menus themselves are extremely small data wise and the ipod docking cable can support speeds up to 480 mbs...
Originally Posted by Beoshingus
I think you're wrong. LOL, don't take that the wrong way. It's the same connector port that you copy files across, so it's pretty close to USB2.0 speed. If it's fast enough to upload several GB within a few minutes, it's more than fast enough to send the ID3 tag info to the screen and handle the control interface.
I agree with you guys. I didn't even think about how I transfer so much music through the connectors. I guess what led me to start wondering about how much bandwidth the dock connector had, was seeing some of the aftermarket Ipod interfaces out. If you look at the Alpine 420i, and Pioneer IB-100, the interfaces on those products are very slow. When I try to browse by artist on my Pioneer IB-100, it's pretty bad. It would probably take like 45 minutes to get from A-Z. At first I was thinking it's the Ipod's fault, and of course when you ask Pioneer why it's so slow, that's what they say of course. The more I think about it though, the more I think that it's Pioneer fault for not buffering the data somehow in order to make the data scroll quickly.

I just hope that the Acura version isn't slow like the current Ipod interfaces that are out. Has anyone tried the Harmon/Kardon Ipod interface? That's the first aftermarket interface out that I've seen with full blown Ipod style menus on the display.
Old 10-17-2005, 07:27 PM
Regional Coordinator (Southeast)

Received 3,789 Likes on 2,555 Posts
I hope they do make it available for the older models as I would be inline.
Old 10-17-2005, 08:02 PM
Intermediate

The bandwidth of the dock doesn't matter in this case. All of the song information is stored in a few binary files in the iPod_Control\iTunes folder. I have 18gigs of music on my iPod, and the control files only add up to around 30MB. This can be transfered in a few seconds.

What really matters is the processing power and memory of the device that is reading from the iPod. If Acura wants to do it correctly, they will need a device that is capable of reading and decoding the control files, and storing the song information in memory. If they do that, then there's no reason why navigating through the songs on the screen would be any slower than using the iPod. However, if they go the route of all the aftermarket units, then it means transferring parts of all the songs to get the song information, which is incredibly slow.

Since it looks like they are working with Apple, hopefully they will do it correctly .

Kelly
Old 10-17-2005, 09:15 PM
STL
Three Wheelin'

At $250 plus installation, I think it'll be moot for most people. The hardware cost alone is more than I paid for my wife's 20gig iPod and about the same what I paid for my 40gig iPod. It seems a bit crazy IMO to pay so much for this interface/adapter...