iPod Integration

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2009, 07:08 PM
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
iPod Integration

Im looking for a decent iPod integration kit for my 05 TSX! Anyone know of any?
Old 05-05-2009, 08:04 PM
TSX

you may want to do a search in the Audio Video section.

I personally use a iSimple adapter with my video ipod. Works great and sounds great!
Old 05-05-2009, 09:32 PM
Intermediate

+1 for Isimple, it also have text and steering wheel control...
Old 05-06-2009, 11:49 PM
6th Gear

thank you...
Old 05-12-2009, 10:56 PM
10th Gear

There is one also called blitzsafe that is pretty good. I dont have it, but I think it cost around $80 and something. You can buy it from ebay
Old 05-13-2009, 01:42 AM

Received 322 Likes on 182 Posts
go with the iSimple. The hardest part is probably updating the firmware. do not let someone charge you 50 dollars to install the whole thing for you. I can install it in less than 5 minutes (minus updating the firmware).
Old 05-13-2009, 05:14 AM
Addict

Originally Posted by mdkxtreme
go with the iSimple. The hardest part is probably updating the firmware. do not let someone charge you 50 dollars to install the whole thing for you. I can install it in less than 5 minutes (minus updating the firmware).

Be warned, the iSimple (PXMAG) has bugs. Search the Audio and Video section for an explanation of each bug.
Old 05-13-2009, 09:27 AM
Site Lurker, Rare poster

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by racecarbox616
Be warned, the iSimple (PXMAG) has bugs. Search the Audio and Video section for an explanation of each bug.
The bugs are only regarding the firmware. Once that is updated to the proper firmware you're fine. I have it in my car and know of plenty others who got it and had no issue. Others who had the issues were fixed with the firmware update.
Old 05-13-2009, 01:13 PM

^^ Yes the problems are all fixed through firmware updates. Although for the problem with text display near the clock, it seems like the firmware is a "special" firmware because peripheral sent me the fix and it's no where found on the site. Maybe it's incorporated with the latest firmware? I wouldn't know because I only have the "fix" firmware and it's working perfectly for me so no need to update to the latest.
Old 05-13-2009, 02:23 PM
Addict

So to clarify - they sent you a special release that is different from the one available on the web site? Do you happen to know what the version number is? .36e is the one available on the site.

Can anyone confirm the .36e version on the site fixes the issue with the text display?

...i guess i will have to find out myself after work..
Old 05-13-2009, 02:34 PM

So to clarify - they sent you a special release that is different from the one available on the web site? Do you happen to know what the version number is? .36e is the one available on the site.

Can anyone confirm the .36e version on the site fixes the issue with the text display?

...i guess i will have to find out myself after work..
Correct. They sent me a file called 636b.xuf. Maybe it's .36b version? I don't really know. I emailed Peripheral and telling them about my text/clock display problem and this is the firmware they sent me. Now they could have directed me to the latest firmware, which is .36e, but I'm pretty sure they sent me this "fix" firmware for a reason. All I know is that it fixed the text/clock display problem. I forwarded you the firmware so check your email.
Old 05-13-2009, 02:35 PM
Site Lurker, Rare poster

Not sure of the actual update itself. I bought mine from Circuit City when they were closing down so got it BNIB for 90 bucks. It had the updated firmware I suppose since it was plug and play and done in like 5 mins. You can just connect it and see if it works, if not then just call up the company and tell them your issue and they should inform you of what needs to be done.

I kept all my tabs in the off position though, straight out of the box. I know some ppl changed them to on and off for whatever reason and had issues and then changed them to off and it worked fine. Just incase you're thinking of changing it I wouldn't unless it didn't work at first.
Old 05-13-2009, 02:39 PM
Addict

version .36e available on the website includes all the updates. I just did a file compare to the one that was specially sent out to mdkxtreme and the files are identical. Good to know.
Old 05-13-2009, 02:48 PM

hey racecar, i noticed in your sig that you have the isimple connected to a 3g iphone? did you have to have any special cable connected to the gateway?

I know for a fact that the USASpec had problems with latest generation iphones and ipods which required different cables and such.
Old 05-13-2009, 04:02 PM
1st Gear

is this what you guys bought?

http://www.amazon.com/Peripheral-PXA...2248345&sr=8-1

how hards the install?
Old 05-13-2009, 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by bigballer

how hards the install?
Yes that's the one, but with shipping and all, just go to Best Buy and buy it instead if you feel like you want to return it if not satisfied. The install is not that hard. If you know how to remove the center cubby then you're good. But then you have to be computer savvy as you would need to update the firmware through usb. The process won't be that easy for non computer savvy as you need to install the driver for the pxamg through add device and then use peripherals program to install the firmware.
Old 05-13-2009, 05:02 PM
Oliver!!!

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

how hards the install?
Yup, that's it. If you look on fleabay you can probably find it a lot cheaper. I got mine BNIB for like $35. At that price, I couldn't really pass it up. Install was cake. Just pop out the cubby beneath the radio, unplug the cable to the XM unit, plug it into the included y-cable, plug that into the radio, plug your ipod into the included ipod dock cable. Test it, put it back together, and your golden. I would recommend updating the firmware to the one listed on the periphreal web site before it gets anywhere near your car though. There's some pretty well document annoyances with it and the older firmware. I have mine in an 08 non navi TSX and it works well, except for a minor volume issue. The volume on the ipod is lower than all other sources and from time to time my XM text doesn't appear. But it only does that if I'm listening to XM when I turn the car off. All I have to do to get it back is change the station, press the display button until it gets back to the mode I want or change from XM to Radio, CD, HFL, etc and then back to XM. Supposedly the new firmware fixes those two issues.
Old 05-13-2009, 07:28 PM
Addict

hey racecar, i noticed in your sig that you have the isimple connected to a 3g iphone? did you have to have any special cable connected to the gateway?

I know for a fact that the USASpec had problems with latest generation iphones and ipods which required different cables and such.
No special cord...however the cord does not charge the iphone. Everything else works as usual though. I guess i should update my signature, I recently bought an Ipod to keep in the car because i got sick of taking the plugging the iphone in every time i got in and out of the car.
Old 05-13-2009, 07:34 PM
Addict

Well i tried version .36e on the way home tonight....They ALMOST got it right. The old version used to say IPOD next to the category. Now it just has 3 dashes --- Not really a big deal, but there is no display now that signifies that the music is coming from the ipod.

Has anyone else noticed this?
Old 05-13-2009, 10:29 PM

Well i tried version .36e on the way home tonight....They ALMOST got it right. The old version used to say IPOD next to the category. Now it just has 3 dashes --- Not really a big deal, but there is no display now that signifies that the music is coming from the ipod.

Has anyone else noticed this?
Wait so what was your gripe before thought? My gripe was that the clock display always showed XM Loading and after I updated the firmware, it displayed the song title and artist. What mode do you use it in? IPOD control mode will never have the songs displayed while Gateway control mode (where you can't control your iPod physically) will dispaly the song titles and artists.
Old 05-14-2009, 06:55 AM
Addict

One of my gripes, was the XM loading issue, which they have fixed, along with cycling though all the modes to get the unit working again.

However, in the older firmware on the main screen it used to say

Category: IPOD

Now it just says: ---
Old 05-14-2009, 10:11 AM
Site Lurker, Rare poster

I have mine on an 08 non-navi and have had none of those issues. It says "IPOD" and then "no ipod connected" if I haven't put it in when I take it out, but once connected it says "ipod connected" and shows the text and everything. Might jsut be the diff since you have navi.
Old 05-15-2009, 12:01 AM

One of my gripes, was the XM loading issue, which they have fixed, along with cycling though all the modes to get the unit working again.

However, in the older firmware on the main screen it used to say

Category: IPOD

Now it just says: ---
OK I have the same problem too so it's not your unit. I guess this isn't even the slightest bother to me because I didn't even notice IPOD showing up next to category in the first place. All I cared about was the artist and song title.
Old 05-15-2009, 07:11 AM
Addict

OK I have the same problem too so it's not your unit. I guess this isn't even the slightest bother to me because I didn't even notice IPOD showing up next to category in the first place. All I cared about was the artist and song title.
I have also noticed that when skipping 2 or 3 songs in a row the unit gets confused and displays Ipod connected and the song skips a bit for the first 3-4 seconds.

I'm not surprised though, the testing the software team does over at Peripheral Electronics must be half ass*d At least they fixed the cycling of mode when you start the car.
Old 05-27-2009, 02:38 AM
CarbonGreyPearlEbony

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Dont mean to hijack the thread but i was going to ask a similar question..
I just want to be able to plug in rca plugs into my 2005 tsx.
Will this work? If not does anyone know what I need and
where I can get it..

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Acura...8591QQtcZphoto
Old 05-27-2009, 08:59 AM
Site Lurker, Rare poster

Originally Posted by TSX420J
Dont mean to hijack the thread but i was going to ask a similar question..
I just want to be able to plug in rca plugs into my 2005 tsx.
Will this work? If not does anyone know what I need and
where I can get it..

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Acura...8591QQtcZphoto

I would get the iSimple over that. For 70 bucks all you're getting is that and it's not compatible with models that have XM. Also the plug in, I only see one port so that would be to the radio I imagine, where does the input from the car go then? The iSimple has two, one for the unit to radio and then car to unit. Not sure exactly how that unit would plug up and it looks cheap. I would look elsewhere since the iSimple comes with both the connection for an ipod and the RCA input jacks as an add on comes with it too. You don't need to go with the iSimple, sure there are other units out there for probably cheaper than 70 bucks that does the same exact thing.
Old 05-27-2009, 09:31 AM
Addict

UPDATE - after 2 weeks of use with the new software installed, the isimple is still plagued with bugs. The cycling of all the modes still has to be done to reset the device so the audio screen can be displayed.

I'm convinced, the isimple is NOT worth the $
Old 05-27-2009, 10:08 AM
TSX Sold! Hello STi!

^^^Maybe you have a defective unit... I have one of the 1st units they produced in my vehicle, and have also installed the unit in more than a few friends' TSXs --- they've had no issues. I'd drop Peripheral CS an email. They've been great to deal with in my personal experience.
Old 05-27-2009, 01:48 PM

UPDATE - after 2 weeks of use with the new software installed, the isimple is still plagued with bugs. The cycling of all the modes still has to be done to reset the device so the audio screen can be displayed.

I'm convinced, the isimple is NOT worth the $
What cycling problems are you having? Describe it and I'll try to duplicate the problem with my system and see if it's just your unit.
Old 05-27-2009, 01:49 PM
CarbonGreyPearlEbony

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by sortudo7
I would get the iSimple over that. For 70 bucks all you're getting is that and it's not compatible with models that have XM. Also the plug in, I only see one port so that would be to the radio I imagine, where does the input from the car go then? The iSimple has two, one for the unit to radio and then car to unit. Not sure exactly how that unit would plug up and it looks cheap. I would look elsewhere since the iSimple comes with both the connection for an ipod and the RCA input jacks as an add on comes with it too. You don't need to go with the iSimple, sure there are other units out there for probably cheaper than 70 bucks that does the same exact thing.

Ok, Thanks for the reply. I just wanted some rca because I was going to pair it up with a bluetooth receiver so I can use my mp3 player wirelessly. I think I'll go with the I simple. Thanks again..
Old 05-27-2009, 02:02 PM

Yea man that RCA unit looks bad. Because after you plug that unit in, there will be another plug left hanging from your car. I don't think you will be able to control your Ipod through your steering wheel with that one. Just completely stay away from that one.
Old 05-27-2009, 05:54 PM
Guinea Pig

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I use the dice cradle with some periferal device Unclad hooked me up with. Seems to work pretty well. The sound is so much better than going through the soundgate aux 3 that i've been using. No sound level decrease. I'm still getting use to using it.
Old 05-28-2009, 09:51 AM
Addict

What cycling problems are you having? Describe it and I'll try to duplicate the problem with my system and see if it's just your unit.

Every time I start the car -

1. The upper display is blank
2. Once the nag screen is displayed and I select Audio to display the Audio screen is flashes for 1 second and then right back to the nag screen
3. If I cycle all the stereo modes on my steering wheel, and wait for about three seconds, the top display shows the artist, or XM channel(depending what it was last set to)
4. Now I can select audio and the audio screen will display.
Old 10-09-2009, 09:18 PM
10th Gear

I highly recomment the Parrot MKI9200 from Amazon here:

http://www.amazon.com/Parrot-MKi9200...5140965&sr=8-1.

I bought it and had it professionally installed. Not only does it give you the hard wire for your ipod but it also gives you bluetooth technology and the ability to install xm radio if you don't already have it.

I have an 04 TSX with navigation but no XM radio. The Parrot MKI9200 allowed me to have both XM Radio and iPod Integration. It also allows me to have bluetooth where calls come through the speakers. After I purchased the parrot I bought a bluetooth transmitter ($39.99) for my iPod so that I can use the iPod in the car without any wires.
Old 10-12-2009, 07:45 PM
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
theres another thread on here that goes into much more detail with this topic
Old 10-15-2009, 03:11 AM
2nd Gear

Highly recommend the USA spec ipod adapter - we have it for an '07 with Nav, and its been great!
Old 10-17-2009, 09:47 PM
10th Gear

how hards the install?

Just purchased an 2006 TSX, and when reading the above link to Amazon, it says not compatible to "Premium Audio System".
Mine says "Premium Sound System" on the face and I have Navi.
Will it still work?
Old 10-20-2009, 05:10 PM
TSX Sold! Hello STi!

Originally Posted by RC Randy
Just purchased an 2006 TSX, and when reading the above link to Amazon, it says not compatible to "Premium Audio System".
Will it still work?
Yes... I personally use it on the "Premium Sound System" in my '05 nav, and I have installed it in my friend's '07 nav. Just ensure you have the latest firmware, and there should be no issues...
Old 10-20-2009, 09:50 PM

Originally Posted by RC Randy
Will it still work?
I really think you should go to best buy and buy this. Because at best buy it's 150 + tax, and after shipping on Amazon its 146. I would rather be able to return the product if I wasn't satisfied or the unit didn't work.

The box at best buy will also say something like not compatible with nav or premium sound system. Just ignore those and update the firmware before you install it to your ipod/iphone
Old 10-21-2009, 09:14 AM
mrgold35

Received 1,527 Likes on 1,190 Posts
Originally Posted by Khiladi1020
Highly recommend the USA spec ipod adapter - we have it for an '07 with Nav, and its been great!

I also use USA spec iPod adapter for my 06 TSX w/ Navi. I use it for my 1st gen iPod touch and iPhone 3GS. The adaptor charges and plays both devices with no problems.

http://www.usaspec.com/

I usually keep it in direct mode so I can select song/album from the iPod and then use the steering wheel to change the track. Downside is the song info is not displayed on Navi system.

I wasn’t too crazy about playlist mode because it blanks out the iPod/iPhone and you can only control from the steering wheel. Upside is song info is displayed on Navi system.

If they just make an adaptor that duplicates the iPod/iPhone screen on the Navi system.

Quick Reply: iPod Integration