Interior map lights

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2009, 09:00 AM
SoCalTSX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Interior map lights

Does anyone know how to fix a map light?
Problem is that when I unlock my doors or open them all the lights will come on but the drivers side map light. The bulb works when I push it in the stay on position, but not when the doors open. I swithched bulb w/ passenger side bulb and still the same problem. All other lights come on when I open door.

Could it be linked to the door actuator? I had a new one installed and noticed that the drivers side map light will not come on after the repair.

Thanks
Old 06-18-2009, 02:52 AM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
When you use the switch manually (push the lens up), the chassis provides the ground to the node.

When you open the door, the door control wire provides the ground charge to the node.

When I say 'node,' I mean the piece of metal that contains the little clip that holds the bulb... the negative one (toward the front of the car). I will point it out farther down in this post.

You might want to open up the dome light and check if the harnesses are plugged in correctly:

Disconnect your battery first!!!

Then take the 4 bolts out in this pic:

CAREFULLY pull the piece out as in the below pic and don't stress the wires AT ALL:

Check if the harnesses are plugged in correctly. And check to see if the wires are coming undone from the top of the harness. In the below pic, there is a smaller harness connector on the left I pointed out in yellow because its hard to see. Check the larger green one on the right too. The red arrow just points to the node that supplies the ground charge to the bulb.

So obviously there's a problem with the door control wire grounding the node pointed to in red. If the other lights come on, then the door control wire in general works. I can't be sure, but it seems there's a continuity problem between the harness and the node I pointed to. Look for rust or damage in the metal of the circuits you see in the above pic.

Not sure what else you could do. Get a DMM and test for continuity... as long as you're careful not to cause a short. With a DMM, you can zero in on where the continuity is obstructed.

hopefully this helps,

Last edited by aCUREa; 06-18-2009 at 02:55 AM.
Old 10-09-2009, 09:14 PM
10th Gear

Is your car still under warranty?
Old 03-24-2010, 10:11 PM
mmc
1st Gear

any resolution on interior light problem?

ggarding, i have the exact problem. the driver side map light only turns on when i press it and does not work when the doors open like all the other lights. were you able to figure out what the problem was and is there an easy fix without taking it to the dealership?

thanks
Old 04-04-2010, 03:34 PM
SoCalTSX

Dealer replaced the wiring harness. Cost $60