Intake Resonator Removal

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2003, 12:49 PM
Audi Driving Snob

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Intake Resonator Removal

Well I pulled the bumper off yesterday and disconnected the resonator box but wasn't able to pull it out easily. The box sits outside the frame and a portion of the snorkel sits in side it. I tried to snake it through the opening in the frame and just wasn't quite able to get it out. I think maybe if I took the wheel well plastic trim off I would have been able to get it but didn't feel like all that so I threw it all back together. Moda: any comment here?

At the same time i noticed that the intake setup is actually rather good. If you look at your left headlight you will see a raised ridge above it with a black box sitting behind it. That's where the air enters the intake system! It snorkels down, outside the engine bay by the left wheel to the resonator box then up to the air box....so it's getting a fantastic cold air source.

Anyone else taken the resonator off?
Old 08-24-2003, 10:13 PM
Advanced

As someone who struggles from time to time to open the "right" door on my center console, I'm truly amazed at some of the technical skills represented here. I think I saw some pictures someone else posted on this subject and all I can do is shake my head in wonder. Hmmm, let's see - now where's that thingy that's used to hang the gas cap on during refueling. Ah, different skill level altogether!
Old 08-25-2003, 05:41 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
TinkySD, how could you ask if someone else has taken their's off and not think of me.

I have an entire thread on this!!!

To get it out, you have to remove 2 clips from inside the wheel well. It should be the first clip above where you took the screw out to remove the bumper and the a clip on the inside of the wheel well near where the resonator snakes back into the engine bay.

FYI, taking the driver's side wheel off to do all this is a BIG help.
Old 08-25-2003, 11:25 AM
Audi Driving Snob

Originally posted by moda_way
TinkySD, how could you ask if someone else has taken their's off and not think of me.

I have an entire thread on this!!!

To get it out, you have to remove 2 clips from inside the wheel well. It should be the first clip above where you took the screw out to remove the bumper and the a clip on the inside of the wheel well near where the resonator snakes back into the engine bay.

FYI, taking the driver's side wheel off to do all this is a BIG help.
hey i mentioned you in my post! lol..you were the inspiration. Ah ok. So it was just the wheel well trim that needed to come out. Maybe i'll do it again next weekend...should be a 30 minute project this time around.
Old 08-25-2003, 11:33 AM
Suzuka Master

Yeah, 30 mins is conservative... I was just picking about the coming to me anyway.

Also, don't waste your time taking the entire wheel trim off or the snorkel down to the resonator for fresh air. You just need to remove a couple of clips near the resonator in the wheel well so that the plastic can move enough to remove the resonator.

Additionally, you'll scare the crap out of yourself if you try to rev the car jacked off the ground. VSA won't let you since there is a sensor on each wheel that is looking for load. I did it and scared the hell out myself, so its just experience talking.

Good luck.

FYI, you'll notice that the car will idle a little high and then drop down after a few seconds. The ECU just has to re-learn that there is more air coming in so it has to lean the mixture.
Old 08-25-2003, 03:37 PM
Burning Brakes

How much louder is it with the resonator removed?
Old 08-26-2003, 05:42 AM
Suzuka Master

rzee,
I started another thread a while ago about this, but for you, I'll repeat.
It isn't that much louder, almost unnoticeable. I think TinkySD asked me what it sounded like outside the car with the windows up while driving. Well, once again, not that much noise increase. You can hear the "suck" when you get on it, but it isn't an annoying one like the H series engines used to be. This is much quieter and distinct. Let's put it this way, if you have the radio on at normal listening volume, you can't even tell the difference.

During normal driving, no difference in sound.
During aggressive driving, little difference in sound.

This is why I will not be getting a CAI... there just isn't a reason to if you drop in a K&N filter to fit the current box and remove the resonator.
Old 08-26-2003, 08:02 AM
Safety Car

Received 312 Likes on 198 Posts
When removing the resonator did you need to plug any vacuum hoses?
Old 08-26-2003, 08:30 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by miner
When removing the resonator did you need to plug any vacuum hoses?
No. If you check out my link in the signature, you'll see some photos of the what the intake system looks like, but outside the car.

There is a snorkel down behind the drive's side light to the resonator box (1 connection between the 2 parts). From the resonator box it snorkels up to the filter box (2 connections; 1 at the resonator box assembly and 1 at the filter box). Then from the filter box to the throttle body, which has all the hose connections (2 connections; 1 at the filter box and 1 at the throttle body).

It will make more sense if you click on the link and check page 4 out of the site.
Old 08-26-2003, 10:00 AM
Safety Car

Received 312 Likes on 198 Posts
Since there were no vacuum hoses to plug this resonator system must not be a 2 stage like on the Prelude. Great pics of removal BTW.
Old 11-08-2009, 02:15 PM
Advanced

i took mine off the other day and the maintance required light comes on when i start the car is the normal
Old 11-08-2009, 05:29 PM
Advanced

maintanance required has nothing to do with the resonator as far as i believe...