Indecisive on what to get...

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2007, 07:44 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Indecisive on what to get...

K before I am flammed really bad here, please bare with me. Come this thursday I have to know what car I want to get. It's the day that I asked off from work, in order to go an purchase a new car. Now, I am torn between the TSX and the G35 sedan (05-06 models years that I like the best). I know that they are different cars (size) and have different engines sizes, but both are very appealing to me. I cannot for the life of me come to a conclusion on what to get. I'm driving my girl nutts! Now, can some of you please share with me what made you decide or what sold you on buying the TSX. I know that your decisions and opinions are not going to be mine, nor should I solely decide based on your reasons, but they can be of help. Thank you again for the help in advance, and yes the TSX is a really nice car, but so is the G... dammit....
Old 11-12-2007, 07:48 PM
Instructor

both are luxury sport cars to a limit. what sold me on a tsx was u get all the luxury but you can treat it more like a sport car and at the same time save some $$ on gas =] the g is also a very nice car LOTS OF POWER but compared with everything else that would be the only reason why i would get a G for the power. so if your a speed animal or can u survive with a gas saving 4 cyln good luck on your decision
Old 11-12-2007, 07:57 PM
Advanced

Thank evil_acura... lets see what happens.... so everyone keep then coming...
Old 11-12-2007, 08:01 PM
Boring Teacher

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I chose my TSX because of the huge amount of standard luxury equipment that comes with the car. This car has everything that I would ever want in luxuries...bluetooth, xenon headlights, leather, heated power seats (both front seats), auto dimming mirror...etc. The price was right for a car loaded with all of that stuff. I couldn't imagine driving a car without all of those goodies. The TSX has officially spoiled me!
Good luck with your decision!
Old 11-12-2007, 08:34 PM
Instructor

Decide your most important features. My top few were the reliability, fun, mileage and size (and not too crazy expensive... and it had to fit my hockey gear). TSX fit the best for me of the cars I took out (TSX and A3 being the top of my price range)

Plan to take them both out that day. Take 'em out, drive 'em good and then sit in it in a parking lot for a few mintues. Soak it up. See what feels most comfy (or "home-y" or whatever). You may need to take them out more than once Thursday... Oh-- you might get quotes from your insurance agent too-- if they're too far off, that could make a difference too.
Old 11-12-2007, 08:54 PM
Instructor

I got the TSX because of the reliability, better value (cheaper), and the materials used especially in the interior. The G is indeed quick nice, but handling and materials used is a big issue. And like of of us said, if I were to get the G, it's outta be because of the power. The TSX will attract the younger crowd (25-40) whereas G will attract the more matured crowd (35-50). But do consider this, if you are looking into the G will full features, you might as well look at TL Type-S. I think with the TL Type-S, you get a more balanced car even though it may not pull as hard as the G.
Old 11-12-2007, 08:56 PM
Advanced

I also was torn between several cars and the G35 being one of them. I know that the G35 is a fast and powerful car and it is great to have that under the hood when you need it, but for me -call me a grandpa driver - the power of the TSX is really all you need in a car. It is only under a few circumstances that you get to flex your muscle and it is a joy to rev the TSX. For a daily driver and in reality the TSX has a lot of the comfort and performance you need.

In addition to Honda's reliability, value, and fuel economy, I really like the interior and exterior design of the TSX. The TSX is not showing its age in terms of design, the lines are timeless just like many Honda models. You place the new gen Lexus IS and 3-series next to the TSX and you can see that the TSX being last gen looks just as sharp (even better!).

Just my two cents on my impressions of the TSX, slightly biased, of course.
Old 11-13-2007, 01:48 AM
2005 TL (7/07-8/29/09)

I traded in my (2003.5) G35 for the TSX because of fuel economy. Let me tell you the difference wasn't that big of a margin.

The comfort of the back seats of the G is very roomy. You have a lot of head and leg room(reclining rear seat). If you have a big family, the G35 would be the one for you.

I love the way the TSX looks inside and out. The power is adequate for me. I would pick the TSX if I had to choose again.

To make your decision easier, just get the newer TL.
Old 11-13-2007, 02:39 AM
Racer

I got the TSX because I can relate the car's characteristics to myself!

The shape/size/proportion of the TSX is sexier and sportier than the G35 sedan

blue gauge looks better than orange

Since you can only drive oh so much faster than speed limit then might as well save gas while doing it.

I like Honda better than Nissan

The End
Old 11-13-2007, 07:55 AM
Old Guy

Received 161 Likes on 141 Posts
Deciding on what car to buy can be so much fun (NOT!). No, really, it is fun but it can also be exasperating. When we looked in 05, there were a number of must haves, and a number of would like to haves. This was to be (and still is) a commuter car for my wife. She drives 700 miles a week, so good mileage was a priority. All weather capability was also at the top, so either FWD or AWD were the only options (in the Northeast, RWD w/ traction control should get home in a snow storm, but IMHO, it's not a serious option unless you're occasionally willing to let the weather dictate were and when you can travel 4-5 months out of the year). Since mileage was the number one item, that pretty much eliminated AWD. So, out of the FWD cars that were/are equipped to my wifes liking (climate control, leather, heated seats, 6 disc CD changer (gotta love books on CD), fold down rear seat, and at least some power)(she came out of an 2002 S4), the list shrunk dramatically and rapidly. The projected total mileage (we were shooting for 3 years and 90K-95K miles) also pretty much dictated that the car be Japanese. We drove Audis for years and enjoyed them tremendously, but in my opinion, they're warranty cars (like all European cars, again, in my opinion). All things considered, we decided that the TSX is an unbeatable value. And we haven't regretted it for a second (so much so that we bought a second one last April).
Old 11-13-2007, 08:00 AM
Time to Climb

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
easy decision for me: employee pricing (my dad sold acuras in tampa) + 4 cylinder fuel economy = 1 HAPPY TSX OWNER!
Old 11-13-2007, 08:24 AM
it's a car-drive it

Received 262 Likes on 199 Posts
besides the fact my good friend is an acura service manager that got me a excellant price- there are alot of things that sold me-the #1 thing it had 6 speed manual transmission. my 06 Milano red/eb w/nav, bought new, will be one year old on Saturday, the 11th. it has 30,000+ miles. It gets excellant gas mileage, gets enough power for me and it is a comfortable riding car-no regrets. I can not make any comments on the nissan-never even considered it-not that it is bad.
Old 11-13-2007, 08:55 AM
08 MDX with Sports

Why would you want older design/model of the infiniti? the 2007+ G35 Sedans are killers and rated top notch in Edmunds 4dr sports shootouts.
Old 11-13-2007, 10:12 AM
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Last generation G35 sedan is pretty ugly IMO. If you HAVE to get a car now, get an 06+ TSX. But I guarantee you will regret it when the new generation comes out next year. And if power/speed is a big factor for you, the G35 is a better choice.
Old 11-13-2007, 01:54 PM
Clueless

Well, they're obviously both nice cars. It's interesting that you would be cross shopping these two as there are more differences that similarities. Big difference in power and, of course, rear wheel drive as opposed to front wheel drive. The TSX doesn't have too much torque steer, but it's noticable if you hit it hard at all. The TSX interior is tough to beat, and it has all the good things that you pay extra for elsewhere. We still have a TSX in the family, but I bought an '07 Z. Superb engine. It depends a lot as to what king of driving you do as well. I don't think I would care to drive the G in the snow for instance.
You'll have fun either way. Good lick with your decision, and report back.
Old 11-13-2007, 02:25 PM
Instructor

Split 797: Way back in the summer of '03 I too was trying to decide between the G35 and the TSX (or TL). I had driven Mazda RX-7's for 25 years so I was about through with my sports car era. The G35 was a less severe transition from pure sports cars to sedans. (I really LOVED the G 35 coupe for it's styling, but a coupe just wasn't practical for my needs anymore.) Anyway, I went with the TSX because (1) there was so much more standard equipment for the price (to get the same equipment on the G 35 would have cost about 20% more out the door), (2) the reliability of Nisans was still a hot issue, though they were digging their way out of the mess they had gotten into in the ninety's, (3) I really preferred the interior of the TSX; it was much more "simple elegance" while the G 35 wanted to appear all "high-techy", but in a cheap looking way.
I am very happy with my choice. Despite getting one of the often-maligned first year models of the TSX I have had no serious problems in 4 1/2 years and 51K miles. I also think the exterior styling has remained quite relevant in the present market.
Enough history. I think the decision would be harder today, mainly because I understand the G 35 has a somewhat better interior than it did 4 years ago. The G 35 is still more expensive, but you do get a lot more power and probably more handling for the extra money , if that is your priority. Good luck with making your choice. My expectation is that if you choose wisely you will be happy, as they are both very good automobiles. I really doubt that you can go wrong with either one.
Old 11-13-2007, 02:44 PM
Three Wheelin'

I am not a huge fan of the older G35 sedans. They do not look as good as their coupe counterparts. I couldn't afford a G35 coupe when I was shopping for a new car so I picked up the TSX. I am pretty happy with my decision because the TSX has everything that I want and is a very sharp looking car (especially when modded).
Old 11-13-2007, 03:32 PM
mrgold35

Received 1,521 Likes on 1,186 Posts
My wife's co-worker purchased a previous gen G35 a few months after we purchased our 06 TSX in May of 06. We both paid around the same price for both cars. I have A-spec kit, spoiler, Navi, after-market rims, tint, clear bra, Acura racing pedals, metal trim kit, all weather mats and his car is just a base G35.

My interior look way better with Navi, blue hue gauges, blue led, and black/quartz/metal trim. I have more standard features with Bluetooth, voice commands, and memory seats to name a few. He averages about 19 mpgs while I'm about 26-27 mpgs average. The lunch bunch always want to ride in the TSX because of its looks, especially women. He is always grumbling about rattles and squeaks on his G35 the dealers can’t seem to fix.

I have no regrets with my purchase of the TSX.
Old 11-13-2007, 03:35 PM
where is my garage?!

i had the same dilema when choosing a car. i test drove that exact g35 sedan and loved the power. but the interior was lacking and the price tag was still out of my budget even though the 07 models were coming out then (i was looking at the g35x awd) and they looked much nicer than the 05/06's.

the TSX, though lacking power compared to the G, is just an overall better value. it has looks, functionality, luxury, good resale value, better fuel economy, etc...

but it's really up to you. gotta weigh your wants and needs.
Old 11-13-2007, 03:44 PM
Pro

Received 60 Likes on 31 Posts
I understand why you're cross shopping the two. They're at the top of my list too when I'm ready to pull the trigger. Something about those two cars just seems "right".

Having spent ample seat time in both, I can honestly say the TSX gets my vote in the end. It has everything I need and nothing I don't. The G has a bit too much power for me, is RWD/AWD, has poorer fuel economy, and is more expensive when new. Also, at least here in Canada, the G's aren't holding their resale value as well as the TSX!
Old 11-13-2007, 03:44 PM
Need more room in

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
coming from a '87 735i (it actually wasn't that bad, looks like a 90's bimmer), anything luxerious was an upgrade for me.

i was already sold when i saw the xenon lights to be honest haha. HID's were fairly new and xenon was really rare in my area.
Acura's seem to hold up the value of the car quite well;
Gas saving (damn 735 was a v8)
Navigation; wasn't too common at the time as well
gauge lights up instead of the good ol' needle pointer thing..
Sporty yet luxorious, fun to drive!

However, if i had the choice of a tsx or a G.. I would get the G only if it was a G35-S sedan. Otherwise I'd pick the tsx.
I must say I love the sound of the g's exhaust though...
Old 11-13-2007, 04:03 PM
Racer

Just get an IS250.

Thats whaty I did.
Old 11-13-2007, 06:55 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by gsrthomas
Just get an IS250.

Thats whaty I did.
Buy what you like, like others stated drive both cars. I have a 08 Tsx. This is my third Acura.
Good Luck,
Umair
Old 11-13-2007, 11:11 PM
Old Man Yelling at Clouds

Received 7,362 Likes on 3,906 Posts
Both are great cars to own. What I did was list all the features and options that were important to me, and marked which car had them and which didn't. There will be a few more pluses on the G35 side, just because it's more car. Now look at the price difference, and decide if those few pluses are worth the $ difference. For me, those small differences were not worth the thousands of dollars I'd have to pay to get them. Even if looking at an 05/06 G35, it's still more expenseive than a new TSX.

I went for the TSX, and the extra cash.
Old 11-14-2007, 02:54 PM
Advanced

I want to thank everone for their opinions and statements. I have decided to go with the....drum roll............... TSX. I will be saving a lot more money in the purchase and on gas, I have to drive a lot because of my job. Again, thank you all and happy driving.
Old 11-14-2007, 03:37 PM
Instructor

Good decision and as long as you are happy! Now go post some pics of it once you get it. Color? Navi? Trans?
Old 11-14-2007, 03:55 PM
E92

Received 93 Likes on 69 Posts
Sweet! Hope you like it, but I know you will
Old 11-14-2007, 04:42 PM
Advanced

Thanks, I plan to get the Carbon Grey with the Ebony interior. Yes on the Navi, I'll need it for work and road trips. I can't wait to get it. I'll be going to the dealer tomorrow, wish me luck. I'll post pics as soon as I can.
Old 11-14-2007, 04:47 PM
Burning Brakes

honestly i the g is a nice car and the tsx is a very nice car as well.. they are both good cars and ya wont go wrong. you should go to a more non bias forum and ask this same question.. maybe like a toyota forum or something other than the 2 brands =)..
Old 11-14-2007, 04:54 PM
Unauthorized User

Good Choice! Congrats, Hope to hear from your perspective on your impression.
Old 11-14-2007, 07:50 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I chose the TSX because I couldn't afford the G35 and the gas
Old 11-14-2007, 07:58 PM
CGP Ebony

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
^^ about 15 MPG! OUCH!
Old 11-16-2007, 01:07 AM
Advanced

Talking

Sweet, I'm officially an owner of an 08 Auto, Carbon Grey, Ebony interior, with Navi owner. The folks of the dealer that I went to were very professional and worked with me on getting a great deal. I'll post pics up soon. WOW, finally!
Old 11-16-2007, 01:22 AM
Safety Car

Received 168 Likes on 122 Posts
congrats!
Old 11-16-2007, 06:03 AM
it's a car-drive it

Received 262 Likes on 199 Posts
congratulations and many miles of safe motoring. My 06 MR/eb 6spd/w nav, bought new, will be one tomorrow. It has 30,000+ miles. My only big complaint is the lousy paint that chips easy. Other owners have clear bra's on their cars-too late for me and alot of my chips are near the sunroof-high flying stones from trucks. I do alot of highway driving.
Old 11-16-2007, 08:19 AM
Advanced

nj2pa2nc, ohhh yea I've read about the clear bra. I'm highly interested in getting one of those. Now, in order to get the clear bra where do I go for that? The dealer or a auto paint place? I live in Los Angeles, so if anyone knows, that wouild be greatly appreciated.
Speaking of the Milano Red, when we were at the dealer (Mom's, my girl, and I) we saw one on the showroom floor. It was also used. It also had 30k miles on it, but wow non-the-less beautiful. She's highly interested in getting one now.
Old 11-16-2007, 09:21 AM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
For me, over a G35, was two things. The G35 is rear wheel drive, no good in the winter and I didn't fit in it. Yeah, I know the G35 comes in a AWD option, but that's even more money. It's almost hard to compare the two since they're not really in the same segment. I'd be comparing the G35 to a TL and even that's a stretch.

I love the TSX. It's a tad too small for me, but I can deal with it. The gas mileage is another HUGE bonus. I was driving a RDX before and that thing was terrible on gas. I still fill up once a week, but it's a $10-15 savings.

One thing I will say, is make sure you can live without the speed/power. The G35 is going to be a LOT faster and I don't want you to have buyer's remorse, it's one of the worst things in the world!

Joe
Old 11-16-2007, 09:31 AM
mrgold35

Received 1,521 Likes on 1,186 Posts
Originally Posted by Split797
nj2pa2nc, ohhh yea I've read about the clear bra. I'm highly interested in getting one of those. Now, in order to get the clear bra where do I go for that? The dealer or a auto paint place? I live in Los Angeles, so if anyone knows, that wouild be greatly appreciated.
Speaking of the Milano Red, when we were at the dealer (Mom's, my girl, and I) we saw one on the showroom floor. It was also used. It also had 30k miles on it, but wow non-the-less beautiful. She's highly interested in getting one now.
Most clear bras can be applied at window tint shops. I paid about $399 for my front end and another $49 for the headlights and fogs. If you saw how bad my radiator looked after +20,000 miles you will realize the clear bra is worth every penny.

Check out this thread with pics of my car with the clear bra:
https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40102
Old 11-16-2007, 10:30 AM
Make a hole, coming thru!

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Split797
Sweet, I'm officially an owner of an 08 Auto, Carbon Grey, Ebony interior, with Navi owner. The folks of the dealer that I went to were very professional and worked with me on getting a great deal. I'll post pics up soon. WOW, finally!
Woo-hoo! Have fun reading that manual and discovering all the neat, thoughtful things you probably weren't shown during the sales cycle.
Old 11-18-2007, 11:48 PM
Advanced

Okay so I took the car out for a nice drive. My girl and I we drove on PCH to Santa Barbara, I loved how the TSX handled and performed. I didn't push it much since I'm letting the engine break in. I was going about 70 the whole way, and there were times that I did 80, but never took the RPM's high. The higest I've gotten is 3500 to 4000, I had to because of traffic. Again, I'm truely impressed, and I'm happy that I got this car. I love my TSX.

Quick Reply: Indecisive on what to get...