Master in Science

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post IIHS: Accord passes side impact test

Text:

http://www.iihs.org/news_releases/2004/pr041804.htm

Results:

http://www.iihs.org/vehicle_ratings/...y_midinexp.htm

CNN Summary Article:

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- Ten models of midsize sedans received a failing grade in a test simulating a side-impact crash with an SUV or pickup, according to results released Sunday by the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety.

Only two of the 12 sedans tested -- models of the Toyota Camry and Honda Accord equipped with optional side airbags -- were awarded the IIHS's highest rating, good. Both were rated poor, along with the others, when models without the optional side airbags were tested.

"We simply haven't made the same progress in protecting people in side impacts as we have in frontal crashes," Brian O'Neill, the institute's president, said in a statement. "Side airbags designed to protect people's heads can prevent very serious head injuries."

The three cars with side air bags standard did not perform better in the institute's test. The Saturn L-Series, Hyundai Sonata and Kia Optima were all rated poor, the institute's lowest rating.

The other cars that received a poor rating were the Mitsubishi Galant, Nissan Altima, Dodge Stratus, Chrysler Sebring, Mazda 6 and Suzuki Verona.

The Chevrolet Malibu, which also comes with optional side airbags, was rated acceptable.

According to the institute, the Camry, Accord and Malibu performed better because of their side airbags and a strong vehicle compartment.

The side-impact crash test was the first conducted by IIHS, which has been testing vehicles for years through simulated head-on crashes. The institute is hoping the test will draw manufacturers' attention to making cars safer in side-impact crashes, similar to improvements made when frontal crash data started receiving public attention.

"Most new vehicles do well in the institute's 40 mph frontal offset crash test," O'Neill said. "We believe this new test will drive similar improvements in protection for occupants of side crashes."

Side-impact crashes are the second most fatal type of automobile crash, behind frontal crashes, killing about 9,600 people in 2002. Side airbags with head protection can reduce deaths in side-impact crashes by about 45 percent, according to the institute.

Honda Accord Results (in depth):

http://www.iihs.org/vehicle_ratings/...side/s0319.htm
Old 04-19-2004, 07:28 AM
The Voice of Reason

And fails dismally without the OPTIONAL side and head airbags!

"Only two of the 12 sedans tested -- models of the Toyota Camry and Honda Accord equipped with optional side airbags -- were awarded the IIHS's highest rating, good. Both were rated poor, along with the others, when models without the optional side airbags were tested."

I'd buy the optional side and head airbags, of course, but I don't know how many people will think of it when they're in the closing room at the Honda or Toyota dealer. If you buy the EX-L V6 you "get it all". But I believe the head airbags are optional on the EX 4-cyl. with the cloth seats. The logic escapes me.
Old 04-19-2004, 08:57 AM
Photography Nerd

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Safety is surprisingly hard to upsell. People expect it to be there but few are willing to pay extra for it. It's just like people that buy the cheapest helmet possible.
Old 04-19-2004, 08:42 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by Dan Martin
Safety is surprisingly hard to upsell. People expect it to be there but few are willing to pay extra for it. It's just like people that buy the cheapest helmet possible.
good analogy brotha.
Old 04-19-2004, 09:06 PM
Master in Science

I paid that extra sum when I bought the TSX instead of the Forester 2.5XT. The Forester had much better performance and utility, but the HIDs, side and curtain airbags, NAVI, and overall reliability of the Acura makes it a better package, especially at only $4K more.

I was just talking with a friend about who's driving 200 miles tomorrow to Santa Barbara and back. The second he mentioned he owns a '92 Ford, all I could think was, "I'm driving!" He was concerned about comfort (lack of), while all I'm concerned about is safety.
Old 04-19-2004, 10:24 PM
Race Director

how is driving in CA by the way? i heard its bad from others and everyone needs a car there due to lack of subways, trains, and not a lot of buses?
Old 04-19-2004, 11:05 PM
Master in Science

Originally posted by 04EuroAccordTsx
how is driving in CA by the way? i heard its bad from others and everyone needs a car there due to lack of subways, trains, and not a lot of buses?
It depends a lot on the person & location. There's a bus stop 2 blocks away from my house. Problem is, the bus only passes by every 30 minutes. There's no service after 7pm and there are no routes to the beach (15 mins away by car). The supermarket is only 2 blocks away, and school is a 5-minute bike ride. But who wants to walk with groceries? Or ride to school under the rain? Or at night? If I have to buy parking permits for 2 weeks, might as well pay for the whole quarter...

Some things are very close, and others are very far. My simulation project, for example, is 100 miles away. There aren't enough companies in the area to require a new project every quarter (dept. charges $5K for costs).

In San Diego, where my family lives, there is a huge mall within 3 blocks. Everything is there. Yet the wants that be desire shopping at Costco 10 minutes away by car, movies 15 minutes away (those theaters with chairs high up), outlet stores 15 minutes away, work 30 miles (12-90 minutes, depending on traffic), the beach, etc.

Outside of southern CA and the SF area, roads are in very good shape; and the view is usually nice. I like driving here. People are usually friendly.

Gas prices are very steep, though. I just read an article that says SLO has the highest prices in the state. :'( I saw a photo from a gas station with $2.89 for 89, $2.99 for 91. I hope I don't have to pay that much tomorrow.