If your car sits for a long period, say 6 mnths at a time... do you change the oil?

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2003, 09:45 PM
Oklahoma Sooners

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If your car sits for a long period, say 6 mnths at a time... do you change the oil?

So I'm now keeping the TSX because the bank wouldn't give me another small car loan. Which is fine because I love the TSX... But when it's sitting in my moms garage for the 3-4 years i'm gone what are the things that should be done to the car????

start is how often?

change the oil?

have any of ya'll done this or know what to do? Thanks. Ricky
Old 10-19-2003, 09:53 PM
Banned

you might just want to let the bank repossess it. it will hurt your credit... but if you're going to be deployed for 4 years... it will be only 3 more years until your credit recovers.

plus if you want to get a house... this seems to be one of the few circumstances in which just stopping payments is not unreasonable.

btw check your PM.
Old 10-19-2003, 09:54 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
I belive you should change the oil once every 12 months, start it every 2 weeks, and I think you have to do something with the tires but I don't remember.

Keep in mind I'm no expert on this topic, I'm just recalling what I've read.
Old 10-19-2003, 10:01 PM
Pro

http://www.acura-tsx.com/forums/show...=&threadid=592
Old 10-19-2003, 10:13 PM
Pro

if you are going to store your car for a long time.. you may want to discoonect battery, add some oil into engine, add stabilizer to fuel...... and, jack up your car to save pressure on suspension... and.... 1 yr is bad idea already, all fluid degrade over time, rubber deteriate.....
Old 10-19-2003, 11:09 PM
Oklahoma Sooners

I'll still be paying for it while i'm over there.... I'll sell it if I can... next september i'll owe 18,000$ on my car... It has Navi.... If I can sell it for what I owe on it It's gone and I save 540$ a month.... but I'm waiting for KBB or Edmunds to come out what Private Party and Retail values on it are..... so I can guage... maybe I can make some money!
Old 10-19-2003, 11:29 PM
Not an Ashtray

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I had to go through a similar situation. I had just bought a brand new Accord Coupe when I got sent to Bosnia (at the time I was associated with the UN, and had absolutely no idea I was about to be sent out of the country). I left the car with my father. He started it every few weeks, changed the oil every six months, and checked the air pressure in the tire a few times a year.
Old 10-19-2003, 11:35 PM
Senior ATCer

I stored my Miata every winter when I lived in Upstate NY. Here's some tips. Just before you are going to put the car in storage Take the car to a gas station, add the correct amount of Stabil, and fill the tank to the very top. While at gas station increase tire air pressure to 45 lbs. to prevent flat spotting. Drive straight home. (If able, wash and wax car). Use a protectant on all rubber seals. Lubricate the brake disks with WD40. Do not set emergency brake. Open windows a little to avoid having rubber seals sticking to windows. Disconnect battery and set it on blocks of wood (2x4 scraps) don't leave on concrete floor. Put battery on trickle charger if you have one. Stuff a rag in the intake opening and exhaust pipes to prevent critters from getting in. Buy a cheapo car cover to protect the finish while in the garage. If left outside buy the best car cover you can buy. Leave a note on the steering wheel to remind yourself about the lubricated brakes, rags in openings, extra air in tires, etc. Change oil and filter as soon as you can after taking vehicle out of storage. Here's a link to Miata.net which will have more info on storing your car. www.miata.net
Old 10-20-2003, 03:48 AM
such a dirty birdy

I have an old car (63 Mercury) that I store each winter. My routine is similar to what BamaTSX recommends. Each fall I change the oil, top up the tank, add fuel stabiliser and do a final wash/wax. I use something called "fogging oil" to prevent rusting inside the engine. You basically run the engine and spray it down the carb throat until the engine dies. Not sure how that would work for a FI engine. I check the tires, etc and park in the garage with a cover. I don't disconnect the battery or put it on blocks because a few times over the winter I start and run it for a bit, maybe even drive around the block. Some years I leave in the old oil and do a change in the spring. Probably doesn't matter much, I drive it less than 1000 mi per year.
Old 10-20-2003, 03:13 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by rb4580
I'll still be paying for it while i'm over there.... I'll sell it if I can... next september i'll owe 18,000$ on my car... It has Navi.... If I can sell it for what I owe on it It's gone and I save 540$ a month.... but I'm waiting for KBB or Edmunds to come out what Private Party and Retail values on it are..... so I can guage... maybe I can make some money!
Dude, your first loss is your best loss. Sell the car now, take the loss and quit worrying.

I don't know what you owe, but as it must be a fairly new car you should be able to sell it very quickly for a few thousand loss (and you must have paid off some of it).

If necessary (ie if you don't have the savings to do this) get a balance transfer check from your credit card(s) and pay off the loan, then sell the car, then pay back most of the cc debt and spend the 540 on getting the cc debt down to zero. It should only take you a few months and then you're free of it. Also, you might well find that there's a 0% card you can transfer the balance too.

I recently transferred the balance for my truck to a credit card at a couple of percent lower than the loan (until the balance is paid). It makes my unsecured debt look high in the short run, but I hold title to all my vehicles and I'll pay the cc off much quicker than I would the loan because it's very visible and each month I can pay as much as I can afford.

C.
Old 10-20-2003, 03:44 PM
Suzuka Master

Sorry, but RTFM. It's in there.