If you were to have $40,000?

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2003, 12:39 PM
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you were to have $40,000?

Ok, guys. Lets say you had an extra 40 grand laying around and you had to spend it on a car. Would you....

A) Get the TSX and save the rest

B) Buy a top of the line BMW 325i

C) Get an Audi A4 Quattro

D) Wait a couple months and get the beautiful 2004 BMW 530i

E) Purchase a G35 sedan

This is actually a decision I need to make.
Old 08-09-2003, 12:53 PM
More On

Uh-oh -- Even though I'm pretty sure this is serious, it resembles those satiric copycat threads we had lately.
Be ready for the mods/admins to look with a jaundiced eye (whatever that means).

Anyway, no matter how high you raise the number, I still say TSX. (Even if I don't get to pocket the difference.)

So that takes care of any other threads like this also.
Old 08-09-2003, 12:57 PM
Possessed with my Schemes

There are some other nice cars out there to consider also:

Porsche Boxster (MSRP 42,000)
Lincoln LS (MSRP starts around 32k)
Mercedes SLK 230 (MSRP 40,230)

I would get an 85 Buick
Grand National in mint condition and keep the change.

For what you get for the money, I don't think anything touches the TSX.
Old 08-09-2003, 01:05 PM
Da Invisible Man

Of those choices, I would go for (A).
If I had that much money, I would go for Subaru Imprezza WRX.
Get 18" rims, BOV, Intake, and Exhaust.
I still can save more than $10,000.
Old 08-09-2003, 01:25 PM
fdl
Senior Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This is an odd question. Having 40k lying around doesnt mean you would want to blow it all on a car. I would chose a) and I am pretty sure all the TSX owners would pick a). Now if I had an extra $150 just lying around..then I might consider a $40k+ car.
Old 08-09-2003, 01:35 PM
Cruisin'

if you're willing to wait a few months for the new BMW 530i (which i think is going to be well over 40K), then i suggest you also wait for the 2004 Acura TL which you can get fully loaded and still save several thousand dollars.
Old 08-09-2003, 01:52 PM
More On

Originally posted by akuma007
if you're willing to wait a few months for the new BMW 530i (which i think is going to be well over 40K), then i suggest you also wait for the 2004 Acura TL which you can get fully loaded and still save several thousand dollars.
....make that MANY thousand dollars.

The 530i will be/already is WAY, WAY over 40K -- I wonder what made you think otherwise. Base price already is in the low 40's, and by the time you're done adding on even the minimum, you'll almost certainly be over 50, maybe way over.
Old 08-09-2003, 02:02 PM
Intermediate

i would go to vegas, blow it on some strippers and gamble the rest, then hopefully walk away with $120,000 and buy a Porshea 911
Old 08-09-2003, 03:12 PM
Instructor

Re: If you were to have $40,000?

Do NOT pay even close to $40k for a loaded 325i. At the very least go for a 330, preferably a performance package model (right at 40k if you get Alcantara/cloth seats). Downside of any three series is that it's the last model year for that car and you'll be stuck with the "old look". I don't know if that's important to you.

No way will you be able to get a new 530i for 40k, probably 45 plus or even closer to 50 (sadly).

The A4 3.0 is not the sweet buy unfortunately - the 1.8T with $500 spent on upgrade software will yield a great car (and save you $7k. I have driven a 3.0 6speed recently quite a lot and found it zero fun to drive (too heavy, poor throttle response, sucky shift action - though shift action is improved for 04). The 1.8T I drove recently was a blast.

TSX also a very good choice and save $12k. Nice looking car - doesn't better the best of its competitors in any particular way, but has a wide range of abilities, with almost no downsides that make it a really attractive package.

You know you've hit on an interesting point - most of the "close to 40k" cars aren't good enough to be really special, nor do they represent THAT much of an improvement over their lesser brethren.

A couple of years ago (99-01) $40k could get you a BMW M3 (E36) or an Audi S4 - both more interesting cars than currently on offer. Sure the new models have tons more hp, but they're also over $50k, which is a lot of anyone's money.

C.
Old 08-09-2003, 03:49 PM
Drifting

Buy a Cavalier and give the difference to me.

Old 08-09-2003, 03:53 PM
Advanced

Well you could buy 7 Kias and drive a different one every day.

Me? I'd get an Lexus RX330, spend the rest on a nice beach house vacation.
Old 08-09-2003, 04:04 PM
fdl
Senior Moderator

Originally posted by gregor
Well you could buy 7 Kias and drive a different one every day.

Me? I'd get an Lexus RX330, spend the rest on a nice beach house vacation.
wow..40k goes a long way in your neck of the woods!
Old 08-09-2003, 04:12 PM
Burning Brakes

Ok, guys. Lets say you had an extra 40 grand laying around and you had to spend it on a car. Would you....
I bought a TSX, didn't I?
Old 08-09-2003, 05:39 PM
fdl
Senior Moderator

Originally posted by rzee
I bought a TSX, didn't I?
Exactly
Old 08-09-2003, 07:35 PM
Luck favors the ignorant.

I am fortunate enough to actually be in a better position than that money wise. I have spent the last two months looking over the cars out there and settled on the 2004 Acura TL with Nav. I have placed it on order and expect in around Oct 20th.

Simply put the BMWs and Mercedes don't impress me that much. The Infiniti M45 and Q45 were the last two cars I passed on (I was offered a Q45 for $7k off MSRP). But my 2003 Acura MDX (wife's car) pretty much set my heart on another Acura. The dealer here is incredible and I have had zero problems with the MDX. Also for all the features loaded standard on the '04 TL, very few cars can compete with it in the under $50k range. I currently drive a fully loaded 2000 Volvo S80 T6. I am going to hate giving this car up but simply put Volvo hasn't updated their electronics packages in the past 4 years. Volvo STILL only offers CD based Nav. I end up borrowing my wifes car to go any where new. The MDX's Nav currently is the best on the market (yes it is 3 times better than the Inifiti's Nav). And I have been told the '04 TLs will blow it away.

So if you are seriously sitting on $40k, then look real hard at the '04 TL
Old 08-09-2003, 07:51 PM
More On

Originally posted by Skull One
I am fortunate enough to actually be in a better position than that money wise. I have spent the last two months looking over the cars out there and settled on the 2004 Acura TL with Nav...... If you are seriously sitting on $40k, then look real hard at the '04 TL
Welcome -- and nice write-up. But I have a question.

I've been asking this same thing in different ways, and most everybody's getting pretty darn sick of it. But you're new here, so.....

How is it that you could be confident enough about what kind of car the new TL will be, to actually buy one already? I understand you might think, well, it's going to be a much better version of TL and that's pretty darn good, so I'll take it. But, the whole thing about the advance buzz on the car is that it's going to be so totally different than the current one -- and that's why it's so eagerly anticipated. But, if it's so different, then how do we have any idea exactly what kind of car it'll be -- will it be sporty, or cushy, or both or neither, etc. I would also point out that we don't even know if its size will be closer to the TSX or the current TL, which would be very different kinds of cars.

So -- how was it that you felt that you knew enough about the car?
Old 08-09-2003, 08:20 PM
Moderator Alumnus

I would never spend this much money on a car (before retirement anyway ) .... but if I did I think I would go for a pretty decked out 330i

To be honest ... I wish my answer could be an AWD TL That would be
Old 08-09-2003, 08:36 PM
has been here awhile

Originally posted by whayasay123

A) Get the TSX and save the rest

B) Buy a top of the line BMW 325i

C) Get an Audi A4 Quattro

D) Wait a couple months and get the beautiful 2004 BMW 530i

E) Purchase a G35 sedan

This is actually a decision I need to make.
From your list I'd choose A or E. The TSX is a beautiful package and has tons of features. The G35 does present the interesting equation of 260 hp and RWD--but the package is in-complete with questionable styling.

However, I personally would look long and hard into pre-owned cars. It's a very smart way to go if you find that perfect vehicle.

Best of luck!

SPUDMTN
Old 08-09-2003, 08:46 PM
More On

Re: Re: If you were to have $40,000?

Originally posted by SPUDMTN
.....I personally would look long and hard into pre-owned cars. It's a very smart way to go if you find that perfect vehicle.....
SPUD's a kid who's never had a headache.
Old 08-09-2003, 09:01 PM
has been here awhile

Originally posted by larchmont
Has larch had a pre-owned nightmare before?

My family has had GREAT luck w/ a pre-owned vehicle. You can't go wrong with pre-owned Japanese vehicles that were babied. Buying pre-owned allows you to buy a vehicle that you would have never dreamed of buying new. Pretty sweet deal if you ask me. A pre-owned car can be great if you're careful--make sure the car was well taken car of and run CarFax, etc...

So...whayasay123--w/ pre-owned being brought up, would you even consider a Lexus GS430/400? Are you even interested in that kind of a car? I've heard that the car has WAY too much power--in a good way, though.

SPUDMTN
Old 08-09-2003, 09:09 PM
Race Director

Re: Re: Re: If you were to have $40,000?

I think reading post's like yours has gave him Migraines, Please Pass the Advil..

Seriously, Hes a kid, but a darn smart one Leave him alone
Old 08-09-2003, 09:12 PM
Racer

The new TL sounds promising but as Larch has pointed out, there's still a lot of ?'s.

If I had to buy now I would buy the TSX. Otherwise I would wait and see what the TL has to offer.
Old 08-09-2003, 09:20 PM
has been here awhile

Originally posted by 2004TL
I think reading post's like yours has gave him Migraines, Please Pass the Advil..

Seriously, Hes a kid, but a darn smart one Leave him alone
Oh, ya gotta love some of larch's one liners

Thanks for the support 2004TL...

So here's to you larch--

:P :P :P

SPUDMTN
Old 08-09-2003, 09:31 PM
More On

Oh, ya gotta love some of larch's one liners

Thanks for the support 2004TL...

So here's to you larch--

:P :P :P

SPUDMTN
Hey, '04 -- I'm SPUD's biggest fan!! (Don't worry -- As you can see, he knows it!)
But I'm sure you're right about what I've caused.

SPUD, of course you're right about used cars (I can't believe that some of you dudes are actually saying "pre-owned" ) -- but I wouldn't think and don't think it's a good or smart idea for someone who has 40K to spend, any time, ever. But then again, "good" or "smart" is subjective.

P.S. Hey, Santacruz!! -- I can't believe it - Someone agreeing with me about the new TL!
Old 08-09-2003, 09:39 PM

>> Welcome -- and nice write-up. But I have a question.

Thank you.

>> I've been asking this same thing in different ways, and most >> everybody's getting pretty darn sick of it. But you're new
>> here, so.....

<<Snip>>

>> So -- how was it that you felt that you knew enough about
>> the car?

Hmmm, there were a lot of factors that went into my choice. First I drove the '03 TL and '04 TSX back to back one night and again a few days later during the day. The owner of the dealership basically said take the basic interior layout of the TSX , wrap a 3" shorter TL around it, use my S80 T6 (Twin turbo 6 cylinder that I have clocked 0-60 in 6.2 secs) for the motor and he said I would have a good idea what a '04 TL would feel like. Since I already own a '03 MDX, I knew how the basic torque and drive by wire gas pedal would feel. BTW a '03 MDX will do 0-60 in 8 secs. I do love that car

My wife had fallen in love with the TSX during the test drive (it had the ground effect package added). So the owner had the new car sales manager show me all the photos of the '04 TL that are on the net. After seeing what the concept car looked like compared to what seems to be the final product, it was pretty much a no brainier for me.

Also I have put no money down. If I end up not liking the car, I can walk away from it. The new car sales manager allowed me to do this for two reasons: He knows I will probably end up getting the '04 RL or the '04 TSX and he knows how much I love their great service. Only Volvo has treated me as good. Lexus, Inifiniti and BMW have overall good service as well. But Acura and Volvo (in my neck of the woods at least) set a standard that is hard to beat.

Hope that helps answer your question.
Old 08-09-2003, 09:41 PM
has been here awhile

Re: Re: Re: If you were to have $40,000?

Hey, '04 -- I'm SPUD's biggest fan!! (Don't worry -- As you can see, he knows it!)
But I'm sure you're right about what I've caused.

SPUD, of course you're right about used cars (I can't believe that some of you dudes are actually saying "pre-owned" ) -- but I wouldn't think and don't think it's a good or smart idea for someone who has 40K to spend, any time, ever. But then again, "good" or "smart" is subjective...
First off, you're right, larch. I know it And thank you

Next...I guess I don't understand why it wouldn't be "smart" to buy a $40k PRE-OWNED (sounds much nicer than "used" ) car? It's nice to be able to buy a vehicle that was $60k or more when it was new. Besides that, you don't take as big of a hit on depreciation (at least on most vehicles). It's in the first few years that the car really loses its value. Why isn't that smart?

SPUDMTN

PS--Should I take this into a new subject in off-topic?
Old 08-09-2003, 09:54 PM
3rd Gear

Thanks for all your input. I test drove a BMW 325i w/ performance package today and a G35 sedan. I now understand why the BMW is called the Ulitmate Driving Machine now, but it deff. isnt the Ultimate Passenger Machine. That was basically my only turn off. Also, I have connections so i could probably get a 2004 530i for wholesale prices, but I dont really know what that means. How much less than MSRP would wholesale be?
Old 08-09-2003, 10:11 PM
More On

.....The owner of the dealership basically said take the basic interior layout of the TSX , wrap a 3" shorter TL around it, use my S80 T6 (Twin turbo 6 cylinder that I have clocked 0-60 in 6.2 secs) for the motor and he said I would have a good idea what a '04 TL would feel like. .....Hope that helps answer your question.
Sure it does. Unfortunately, what I think it means is that your impression about the new TL is based on rumors and guesswork. It's true that what your guy said is just about what most people think, but it's not known for sure and it's far from unanimous -- and IMO we really don't know what klnd of car it's going to be.

But don't worry, almost everybody disagrees with me. And even I have extremely little doubt that it'll be great.
Old 08-09-2003, 10:21 PM
More On

Re: Re: Re: Re: If you were to have $40,000?

....I don't understand why it wouldn't be "smart" to buy a $40k PRE-OWNED (sounds much nicer than "used" ) car? It's nice to be able to buy a vehicle that was $60k or more when it was new. Besides that, you don't take as big of a hit on depreciation.....Why isn't that smart?.....
Well, you know that my views aren't exactly accepted wisdom, but anyway:

No, I've never had a used-car headache, because I've never had a used car.

You know that I have a fetish about "reliability," and obviously as a general rule you're taking much more of a chance (other things being equal) with a used car. Of course it's not true with each and every car, but everything in life (here comes philosophy) is odds and chance, and if we wanna be smart, we try to maximize the favorable possibilities. A used car is older than a new car, plus (most of the time) you never know how the previous owner treated it, plus often the reason a used car becomes available is that it has been trouble. A person with 40K to spend usually wouldn't want those things working against him.

Regarding depreciation, I'm reasonably sure that most people who spend that much on a car have little if any concern about depreciation.

P.S. I don't think we're close to being "off topic," unless we keep this up real long.
Old 08-09-2003, 10:39 PM
has been here awhile

...A person with 40K to spend usually wouldn't want those things working against him.

Regarding depreciation, I'm reasonably sure that most people who spend that much on a car have little if any concern about depreciation.

P.S. I don't think we're close to being "off topic," unless we keep this up real long.
For added peace of mind there's always Certified Pre-owned vehicles. I firmly believe that pre-owned vehicles are the way to go--no matter how much money is involved.

Next, I don't think pricing has to do w/ people worrying about depreciation--I think it's what the people value. You may value performance over depreciation while your neighbor is exactly the opposite...no matter how much they're spending on a vehicle.

As for those spending 40k (or more) on a pre-owned car...you make it sound as if there's no market for $40k+ pre-owned cars. There is a major market--buy top-of-the-line for a middle range or entry-level price. Next to that, if people who buy $40k+ cars are worried about reliability (and will steer clear of pre-owned cars because of this) why do they buy an Audi, BMW, or Mercedes? Seems to not make sense to me. I think I can safely say that a pre-owned Lexus, Infiniti, or Acura is much more reliable than the German cars brand-new.

SPUDMTN
Old 08-09-2003, 11:28 PM
More On

.....If people who buy $40k+ cars are worried about reliability (and will steer clear of pre-owned cars because of this) why do they buy an Audi, BMW, or Mercedes? Seems to not make sense to me.....
I think most of them don't realize that the cars' reliability is subpar, or don't believe that anything else's reliability is better.
Old 08-09-2003, 11:40 PM
Burning Brakes

A, without a doubt. The other cars are not contenders. If the other manufacturers were competant and efficient instead of relying on premium pricing and marketing fluff, I might....no, I would still buy the TSX! No one has given me a good reason to consider the other brands. Long-term reliability is a value that escapes many other brands.
Old 08-10-2003, 12:11 AM
Banned

I was in the same situation.

Bought my TSX and put $15,000 into a mutual fund... and with what I already had in there I'll be putting a downpayment on a house.

So which would you prefer:

A. TSX + House
B. BMW 3-series

enjoy your Bimmer.
Old 08-10-2003, 10:38 AM

Sure it does. Unfortunately, what I think it means is that your impression about the new TL is based on rumors and guesswork. It's true that what your guy said is just about what most people think, but it's not known for sure and it's far from unanimous -- and IMO we really don't know what klnd of car it's going to be.

But don't worry, almost everybody disagrees with me. And even I have extremely little doubt that it'll be great.

Actually his opinion wasn't based on rumors. It was based on the fact that he drove the car for over two hours. The dealership is located in DFW and I believe it is the largest Acura dealer in Texas. He sponors a NSX in the local circuits and from my understand is on the testing team for most new Acuras. Sorry I didn't mention that fact before. It was one of those: "I thought all the Acura dealership owners got to test drive the '04 TL".
Old 08-10-2003, 11:06 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by Crazytree
I was in the same situation.

Bought my TSX and put $15,000 into a mutual fund... and with what I already had in there I'll be putting a downpayment on a house.

So which would you prefer:

A. TSX + House
B. BMW 3-series

enjoy your Bimmer.
I had lost enough money in stocks and mutual funds to buy a brand fucking new TSX in the last few years.
Old 08-10-2003, 11:20 AM
More On

Actually his opinion wasn't based on rumors. It was based on the fact that he drove the car for over two hours. The dealership is located in DFW and I believe it is the largest Acura dealer in Texas. He sponors a NSX in the local circuits and from my understand is on the testing team for most new Acuras. Sorry I didn't mention that fact before.....
WOW.

WOW.

WOW.

WOW.

WOW.

This is big news. The only reason it isn't being treated as big news yet is that hardly anybody has seen it. But I'm gonna do something about that.

(Now even I'm almost convinced!)
Old 08-10-2003, 12:21 PM
More On

.....The only reason it isn't being treated as big news yet is that hardly anybody has seen it. But I'm gonna do something about that....
Here we go, Skull:

http://www.acura-tsx.com/forums/show...&threadid=1488
Old 08-10-2003, 05:17 PM
Cruisin'

WOW.

This is big news. The only reason it isn't being treated as big news yet is that hardly anybody has seen it. But I'm gonna do something about that.
What's big news, that the new TL is a wonderful car, much like the TSX?

Or that there is a race-prepped NSX that will be raced at a professional level again? (it's the one pictured over there on the left...) :-)

EDR
Old 08-10-2003, 11:21 PM
More On

Originally posted by erobbins
What's big news, that the new TL is a wonderful car, much like the TSX?

Or that there is a race-prepped NSX that will be raced at a professional level again? (it's the one pictured over there on the left...) :-).....
Can't tell if you're serious, so I'll treat it as if you are.

This is (I think) the first actual driving experience we've heard about. Many people think they have known what the nature of this car will be, but there's some disagreement within what different people are thinking, and IMO it's just guesswork absent driving impressions.
Old 08-10-2003, 11:26 PM
fdl
Senior Moderator

Originally posted by rzee
I had lost enough money in stocks and mutual funds to buy a brand fucking new TSX in the last few years.
I wish that was all I lost! :'(

Quick Reply: If you were to have $40,000?