If you sold your TSX, how much did you get?

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2004, 07:02 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy If you sold your TSX, how much did you get?

Hello,

I tried to trade in my TSX for a '04 TL. The dealer offered only $21K. They said that the car is a niche car. They do not sell a lot of them. Therefore, there is no market for used ones. At least not yet.

I am curious to know if anyone sold their TSX. If so, how much did you get for it? What did you replace it with?

I regret buying the TSX. The rattles are driving me crazy. My local dealer has been unable to fix them after three attempts.

Regards,

Joe Kotran
Old 01-28-2004, 08:45 PM
04 remembrance

What's the mileage on your TSX?
Old 01-28-2004, 09:31 PM
Burning Brakes

Re: If you sold your TSX, how much did you get?

Originally posted by jkotran
Hello,

I tried to trade in my TSX for a '04 TL. The dealer offered only $21K. They said that the car is a niche car. They do not sell a lot of them. Therefore, there is no market for used ones. At least not yet.

I am curious to know if anyone sold their TSX. If so, how much did you get for it? What did you replace it with?

I regret buying the TSX. The rattles are driving me crazy. My local dealer has been unable to fix them after three attempts.

Regards,

Joe Kotran
yet you think of a TL??, a made in USA acura. you want quality, go for a lexus or german brand for build quality...you'll notice the difference everytime you go over a bump and hear no rattles or shakes or creaks...you probably wont hear anything at all in the lexus though
Old 01-28-2004, 09:42 PM
Drifting

Received 364 Likes on 190 Posts
Joe, I was also wondering about the same thing. Anyway, don't listen to all that nonsense about "niche car" and let your dealer rip you off. If you want, post an ad online or in your local paper with the price that you are happy with, and then see what happens. I know that lots of dealers just cannot get enough navi models, so do you have one? Maybe that might help you in a way? And if you trade in your TSX, it's not like they will give you a really good deal on a TL anyway!

If I were to sell my TSX and get something else, the TL might not be on the list... I thought it would, but then it also has lots of similar problems (see the TL board), and the styling is not going to age as well as the TSX. Still, the interior is very tempting...

My current choices would be: BMW 3 series or 2005 Infiniti G35X (want to get the new interior that is supposed to come out for the 2005 model!). But really, I probably love my TSX too much for a new car right now...
Old 01-28-2004, 09:45 PM
Drifting

Received 364 Likes on 190 Posts
Re: Re: If you sold your TSX, how much did you get?

Originally posted by gilboman
...you probably wont hear anything at all in the lexus though
Please, someone please check the Lexus driver's pulse! Is he/she breathing!?

Just kiddin' witcha, G'man! LOL
Old 01-29-2004, 08:24 AM
Cruisin'

Concerned over resale of TSX.. Comments please

I have been looking at the TSX and the Accord V-6, Ok I know they are different, but the comment about the low trade in is concerning for sure. One of the big sales pitch on the TSX is it's exclusiveness and holding it's value, and from what I see your $27000 car droped $6,000 this year. Wow. I am also asking the dealer for a heafty discount for the car and they keep telling me they are flying off the lot, but, the same cars have been there for 2 weeks. Furthermore in checking inventor at dealers there does not seem to be any shortage of the cars around.

I will know today what the bottom line price on the TSX will be, and if anyone here has any comments and recent purchase price info please email me at davidki@yahoo.com, I'm just not seeing the retained value in the car to pay MSLP ... the Honda V-6 is now down to $23,744 fully equiped less navi... at 240 HP and 212 torque its pulling me in.
Old 01-29-2004, 08:43 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
auto dealerships always try to lowball the trade-ins...what i've done in the past is go to a www.carmax.com and see how much they'll offer for my ride. usually its a few grand more then auto dealerships...for ex. i took in my prelude to carmax and other local dealerships and the diff was about $3k!!! of course selling it privately would be the best option...
Old 01-29-2004, 09:00 AM
The Voice of Reason

You can check for recent sales prices at "completed sales" on e-bay. http://pages.ebay.com/ebaymotors/sea...ms/search.html

Also, Edmunds gives a trade-in value of $18,180 for the '03 Accord EX-L. So while part of what you're seeing might be a low-ball figure on the part of the dealer ("They do not sell a lot of them. Therefore, there is no market for used ones") What do you think he'd say if you were trying to BUY the same car???

.... you're also seeing the exponential part of a depreciation curve. For the Accord EX-L V6, the Cars-dot-com price is $24,143, the Edmunds trade-in price for the '03 EX-L V6 is $18,180, the difference is $5,983. Since my TSX only depreciated $5000 using the $21,000 trade in figure, the depreciation seems no worse than the Accord. Then again, it doesn't matter to me because I wouldn't dream of trading a car after less than a year. After 10 years/150,000 miles the initial slope of the depreciation curve is inconsequential.
Old 01-29-2004, 09:44 AM
TSX Owner

never trust a dealer on trade in's. never ever.

They simply give you the lowest possible price (trade in value or worse) and then turn around, detail the car, and jack up the price several thousand dollars (to retail). From what I have personally experienced and read on these boards, the TSX is not being produced fast enough and are selling like hot cakes, so forget that niche bs.
Follow the advice of some of the posts, and try to sale it yourself, online, in a paper , etc. The hassle of selling it yourself should be worth the extra thousand(s) in your pocket!

I just sold my 01 accord thru the local paper and pocketed much more cash than trade in, you should be able to do the same with a TSX if you have some patience and put forth just a little effort.
Old 01-29-2004, 09:51 AM
Cruisin'

Resale values in general

I look at what you can purchase a car "new" for from the dealer, and right now, I have a firm price of a Accord V-6 with out Navi for 23,744 plus tax and license, that is an amazing 3146.00 off msrp, or $500 below invoice. On the TSX they are getting anywhere from $1500 over invoice to MSRP for the car. (I'm just using figures I have already got from dealers). If I were to turn around and sell the accord the resale market value is about $21500 after a year and miles. that isn't to bad (of course the tax and license is lost).

I am seeing more and more inventory of the TSX, one Nashville dealer is showing 15 cars, and most dealers here in california is sitting on 3-5 cars with more arriving almost daily, so the uniqueness of the car is viable, but they are becoming available and next year, 30,000+ units expected. It all comes down to supply and demand and one thing for sure Honda is pumping out their Accords and doing every thing they can to take over the top spot from Toyota and with the Accord they will do that.

Now saying all this, I do Like the TSX, I have some concerns like 4 cy engine and having to use premium fuel, 200 HP vs 240 and then there is the torque issue. What happens if Acura dumps the 4 cy next year for a 6, will that dump the price.. who knows. Finally, I am concerned about the "Quality" issues raised on both the Acura and the Honda and if the are correcting the problems or blowing it off..

I have not driven the TSX yet, can you guys tell me what it is like compared to the V-6 of the Accord, I"m sure some of you have tired it.. Thanks..
Old 01-29-2004, 10:58 AM
Obnoxious Philadelphian

Don't know how accurate this could be yet:
http://www.edmunds.com/new/2004/acur...enav..4.Acura*

I agree with Gilbo - if I was unhappy about the quality of the TSX, there's no way I'd consider a TL, or even another Acura.

Don't trust the dealer
Old 01-29-2004, 11:38 AM
STC
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Id get a STi
Old 01-29-2004, 01:14 PM
Race Director

why would you want to trade in the tsx for the new tl? i would assume that the tl would even have more bad quality issues with it since it is a newer model and its built in the USA compared to the tsx which is made in japan. i would have also looked into the accord too, but only in coupe form. i've driven the 3rd and 6th gen accords in all my driving life and wanted to drive a different car, but with the same acura/honda reliability. also, the current accord sedan is ugly and won't age well in styling.

ostrich i've driven the g35x, cause my dad owns it and its a great car, i love to drive it sometimes, but whats wrong with the current interior of the g35? the only thing i would get rid of in the g35 interior is to be real metal door handles inside the car and to put a digital clock instead of the old-fashioned analog cause its hard to see at night.

if infiniti and lexus had a car priced like the tsx, i prob would've considered them instead of acura, cause i wanted to drive a non-honda product for once, but i love the great deal they gave on the tsx.
Old 01-29-2004, 01:28 PM
Photography Nerd

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally posted by STC
Id get a STi
How is an STi comparable to the TL?
Old 01-29-2004, 01:31 PM
Cruisin'

Yep, that's typical dealer pitch. I've also been looking at getting the TSX and talked to them about any used ones. They said they had a lady that bought one w/out Nav. for $26,500 and then 800 miles later traded it in on an MDX cause the TSX was too small. The TSX sold the next day for $25,500. Niche my a$$!
I've already tried talking him down but they won't budge more than $250 because they claim they have people coming in from other cities because of lack of inventory at other dealerships.

I don't think you should have a problem selling yours for a decent price.
Old 01-29-2004, 07:18 PM
Advanced

FYI - The TL seems to have very few initial-quality issues. All of the "vibration" complaints are related directly to the horrible tires it ships with. If I buy a TL, I will negotiate different tires. Or, if I wait a few weeks, Acura claims they're going to make a change in the tires.

There do not seem to be any 'vibration' issues like the TSX has. In fact, there are very little issues (other than the tires) reported on the acura-TL board. At least from what I read.

Just an FYI...
Old 01-29-2004, 07:26 PM
Cruisin'

Are you saying the vibration issue on the TSX is not fixed?

I'm sitting on the edge of my seat talking with a local dealer about the TSX, I've not done my homework it seems if I am missing something I hope not. For some reason I thought the vibration issues were related to the TL .. Help..

by the way, what's the best deal going on the TSX over invoice these days? Are they holding their value?
Old 01-29-2004, 08:56 PM
WOOT!

i was thinking about doing the same thing....but decided the tsx suited me better. but anyway. the dealer was willing to give me $25,500US for my tsx. had about ~16K miles on it.

both car have rattle problems....although some people would say that the tl has more problems????