View Poll Results: Do you agree
Yes
76.50%
No
23.50%
Voters: 234. You may not vote on this poll

If you cant afford to put Premium gas in the TSX then dont buy one.

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2006, 10:53 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Its not like I cannot afford permium. When gas prices go over $3.00 I think its just a waste of money to fill up with premium. Call me cheap or whatever but last tank I filled up 89 octane. Filled up 87 a couple times do. It all depends on my mood.
Old 04-19-2006, 11:21 PM
Registered Abuser of VTEC

Received 115 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally Posted by bz268
You must be joking!!! Saving may be $2 per tank???!!! What can you do with $2 buck nowaday? Can't even get a decent burgar with $2 buck.
Actually, around here, premium is 11.2c/L more. So in other words, over a 55L fillup, I'm spending an extra $6.16 per tank, and I use about 1 tank per week. But, the TSX gets slightly better mileage than a V6 Accord MT (I've been averaging 11.2L/100km pure city on the past few fillups. It seems to be improving as the car breaks in). With the acceleration that I like to have, it's pretty much a wash either way. But problem number 2 was not being able to afford the extra $3k or so for a TSX in the first place.

Let's assume for a second the TSX gets 9.4L/100km in the city (VERY conservative considering it's rated at close to the V6 Accord, but I'm assuming members city postings at 25mpg for pure city). That means the Accord is using 7.24 extra litres for 400km worth of driving (my average week). The TSX comes out cheaper on gas by $2 or so in that case. But when my mom borrowed a TSX, I was averaging 11.6L/100km because of how I like my acceleration. But like I said the price of fuel is pretty much a wash between the two. The TL is a different story altogether.

I guess I'm admitting that the real reason I bought the 6MT Accord was because it's fast in a straight line and was cheaper to purchase. And I still stand by my point that if you can afford the TSX then the price for fuel isn't that bad.

ie: I'm jealous that the TSX handles better and has a nicer interior and I'm jealous I couldn't afford one in every way except straight line speed.
Old 04-19-2006, 11:29 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by CCColtsicehockey
forum n00b red means he isnt being serious.

Blah Blah
Old 04-19-2006, 11:30 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
damn.. who cares?

let them do whatever they wanna do to their cars

this thread is like "if you are going to rice out ur TSX, then don't buy one"
Old 04-19-2006, 11:35 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by n3ok318
damn.. who cares?

let them do whatever they wanna do to their cars

this thread is like "if you are going to rice out ur TSX, then don't buy one"
TOUCHE .....what a stupid thread.

notorious of the tread initiator

a slow transformation for a slow mind
Old 04-20-2006, 12:18 AM
Drifting

Received 267 Likes on 91 Posts
Originally Posted by Benz_05_TSX
My friend works at a gas station and he CONSISTENTLY see those chinese mid-age women filling regulars in their S class, 7 series, Cayanne S.... some girls even tried to fill regular in their Porsche 911 Turbo....
key words..."girls/women"...that probably has nothing to do with affording the gas...more like they just don't know any better...
Old 04-20-2006, 12:31 AM
Drifting

Received 267 Likes on 91 Posts
^^^but yeah...i only put 93 octane in mine...i'd rather spend the money on the higher octane gas than spend it on maintenance for not putting the recommended gas...
Old 04-20-2006, 01:21 AM
Stokeless

$3.29 in SD right now and rising....=(
Old 04-20-2006, 01:25 AM
3rd Gear

filling up your tsx with regular gas is like filling up regular for s2000. Just doesn't make sense. What is the point of getting a TSX if you don't appreciate the wonderful engine and utilizing it to it's fullest potential.
Old 04-20-2006, 04:59 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Meinbeast

...And you've participated three times to this thread, all very intelligent posts might I add.
Old 04-20-2006, 08:17 AM
Regional Coordinator (Southeast)

Received 3,789 Likes on 2,555 Posts
Blah Blah
Blah Blah

what the fuck is up with all these stupid retard n00bs on the board lately
Old 04-20-2006, 08:20 AM

how the fuck would it be notorious of me. first off you got a whole fucking 16 posts there big boy.

second off 3/4 the threads I create in TSX Discussion is for Friday Post Whoring so there isnt really ment to be a meaning to them. You dont obviously get the point of them so thats ok. If you dont know how shit works then dont try to talk about it.
Old 04-20-2006, 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by sauceman
...And you've participated three times to this thread, all very intelligent posts might I add.
yeah they have been real intelligent posts I love it when random noobs pop in there
Old 04-20-2006, 09:32 AM
Instructor

I think it's a valid point. Yeah people can do what they want with their cars, but putting 87 in an engine that is designed for 91 is essentially misuse. The engine knocks and the computer recalibrates for the lower-quality gas and in the end you aren't really saving much because your car loses power and efficiency. If the price difference between the two is a problem then maybe look at the Accord or some other car. JMHO.
Old 04-20-2006, 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by paranode
I think it's a valid point. Yeah people can do what they want with their cars, but putting 87 in an engine that is designed for 91 is essentially misuse. The engine knocks and the computer recalibrates for the lower-quality gas and in the end you aren't really saving much because your car loses power and efficiency. If the price difference between the two is a problem then maybe look at the Accord or some other car. JMHO.
Old 04-20-2006, 09:48 AM
Burning Brakes

The price difference is insignificant...i don't even know why people would put 87...its a matter of 20-30 cents to the gallon difference? So usually on a say, 15 gallon fill up, you pay 5 measly dollars more? so tsx has about, lets say low ended 25 mpg. avg driver gets 15000 miles a year, so thats about 600 gallons of gas consumed a year. Which is approxmiately 40 or so fill ups? It stumps me why people would screw around with the fuel recommendation to save 180 dollars to the year...when its going to cut their engine life, increase required amounts of maintenence, that would easily kill that difference to like 20 bucks...or even worst, negative.
Old 04-20-2006, 09:48 AM
Still Lovin my 06

well I was just talking to a friend who told me that he put regular in his. I mean why would you want to put less quality fuel in if something else is what was recommended.

Honda would not have said to do so if it wasnt needed.

Let it get ugly, I am up for standing my ground.
i dont think it will damage the car in the long run, as the ECU will adjust. well, i guess it depends on your definition of damage. if people want the style of the TSX but don't want to pay for premium (for whatever reason), then so be it, the ECU will just give them less power, which most people aren't buying it for power anyways.

It's nicer than an Accord either way IMO. but i doubt many people actually can't afford premium for the TSX, that seems like a weak reason to not buy premium when you have a $400-500/mo car payment!
Old 04-20-2006, 09:54 AM

^^^^ with less power it becomes less fuel efficent and with that he defeated the purpose of one of his reason of buying it because it was efficent.
Old 04-20-2006, 09:55 AM
Still Lovin my 06

Originally Posted by dom
But in reality what are you saving? Lets imagine your V6 Accord and the TSX get equal mileage which they don't but its close. An empty tank on both requires 55L of fuel. 55L @ .90 is $49.50. 55L @ 1.00 is $55. Imagine 50 fill ups a year and its $250.

Now factor in the TSX's superior mileage and you save maybe $150-200 a year. Not saying you made the wrong choice as the Accord coupe is a great car, just saying fuel concerns are not a very strong case for going one way or the other.
you said it. i didnt even have to post. i don't see fuel cost as a compelling reason to get/not get a car when the other car gets similar mileage. the difference just is not that great....though oil did hit $72/barrel yesterday....damn people in their SUVs driving up the cost of oil!
Old 04-20-2006, 09:58 AM
No-navi, yo

Blah Blah

what the fuck is up with all these stupid retard n00bs on the board lately
and Must because of the weather is getting warmer.
Old 04-20-2006, 10:03 AM
No-navi, yo

I voted yes -- I don't think people should be stretching that much to own a car, and probably would be better to allocate the money somewhere else, if they really cannot afford premium and have to settle with regular gas.

Though, it's their cars, and their choice.
Old 04-20-2006, 10:04 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by bradykp
you said it. i didnt even have to post. i don't see fuel cost as a compelling reason to get/not get a car when the other car gets similar mileage. the difference just is not that great....
This is what drives me crazy about my parents constantly telling me "You have expensive taste" blah blah blah when they talk about gas. What's ironic, is that they have a Chrysler Cirrus, which is smaller than the TSX (albeit with a V6), and it's only rated 19/27 mpg, whereas the TSX is around 23/31. Their car takes regular, the TSX premium....there's barely a difference so it just cracks me up (and annoys me at the same time) that they make fun of me for having to buy premium.
Old 04-20-2006, 10:33 AM
Advanced

I voted no... I pump 89 on a consistent basis... Money is not an issue. Car runs fine on 89 and a few bucks is a few bucks... No matter how you look at it.

I have to agree with a few others that the thread title seems very negative and close minded though... So if I can afford to put premium but choose not to is it ok that I bought a TSX? I did pay cash for my car... Just because someone puts a lower octane fuel in their TSX doesn't mean they cant afford it.

No disrespect, you seem to be pretty intellegent in most of your posts. But this one seems like you are trying to stir up an arguement(I would say debate but your thread title seems Pretty hostile)

Any how interesting topic
Old 04-20-2006, 12:14 PM
STL
Three Wheelin'

Lightbulb

i dont think it will damage the car in the long run, as the ECU will adjust.
But isn't it true that the ECU doesn't do that until after the engine "hears" a knock? If so, then strictly speaking some damage (albeit very slight) has already occurred before the ECU retards the timing.
Old 04-20-2006, 12:20 PM
STL
Three Wheelin'

I wonder how many people would still run less than 91 octance if they realized their purported cost savings at the pump only leads to lesser fuel economy -- which totally negates their "savings"?
Old 04-20-2006, 12:53 PM
Still Lovin my 06

Originally Posted by drigo
^^^but yeah...i only put 93 octane in mine...i'd rather spend the money on the higher octane gas than spend it on maintenance for not putting the recommended gas...
when i put 93 in, i get slightly worse than when i put 91 in. so should i start flaming the people who put 93 in, as they flame the ones who put 87 or 89?

(i dont think you did drigo, just pointing out the rediculous thread topic)
Old 04-20-2006, 12:58 PM
Still Lovin my 06

how the fuck would it be notorious of me. first off you got a whole fucking 16 posts there big boy.

second off 3/4 the threads I create in TSX Discussion is for Friday Post Whoring so there isnt really ment to be a meaning to them. You dont obviously get the point of them so thats ok. If you dont know how shit works then dont try to talk about it.
listen man, we all know you're passionate about your car, but you don't see anyone starting threads that say "If you can't afford to buy a JDM Accord and Ship it to the states, than don't buy a TSX and spend all your time and money transforming it"

point is, people do what they want with their cars, it's a free country and you get way too worked up in some of your posts.

Can't we all just get along? How about removing the use of some of the crap language spewed for no reason and the dramatic over reactions? jeez.

if people want to save a couple bucks and put 87 in their car, many of us think it's stupid and don't agree, but who cares? there car will be fine, the ECU will adjust, and they'll lose some performance. I doubt they are racing anyways.
Old 04-20-2006, 01:04 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by STL
I wonder how many people would still run less than 91 octance if they realized their purported cost savings at the pump only leads to lesser fuel economy -- which totally negates their "savings"?
The day I realized this was the next day after I last filled up with 87.
Old 04-20-2006, 01:05 PM
STL
Three Wheelin'

when i put 93 in, i get slightly worse than when i put 91 in.
If that is really true, then it's most likely because the 93 is a lesser quality gasoline than the 91 you're buying -- it's not because of the octane difference per se.
Old 04-20-2006, 01:07 PM
Still Lovin my 06

Originally Posted by STL
people always want money in their pocket now.....and usually don't consider the long run.

putting 87 or 89 is a negligable effect, especially if it's 89. not only is the mileage different, but it's barely a price difference too.

same reason towns won't start recycling programs, or other things that have upfront costs, but long term savings (recycling in my town won't happen because all the old folks don't want to pay for it, but garbage collection fees just went up by 2x because the amount of garbage our neighborhood produces).

people just don't undertsand that you're gonna pay for it in some way.

go by the generic DVD player for $20, and when it breaks in 2 years, go get another one and so on. or get a decent brand for $150, and have it for 5-10 years.

money in pocket now > money in pocket later to most people.

lump sum lottery or annuity?
Old 04-20-2006, 01:33 PM
Instructor

Here is a fuel cost estimator and you can do the math as to what it will cost you per year:

http://www.koa.com/fuelcalculator/

For current price put the cost of regular and for anticipated price put the cost of premium. It will show you what it adds up to over the course of a year... it's peanuts.

(sorry if this is a repost, I didn't look through all the responses)
Old 04-20-2006, 01:48 PM
Intermediate

Lightbulb Here's what I do...

Personally, I put in regular 89 from the name brand gas stations (ie Chevron, 76, Shell, etc.) every 5 or 6 fill ups and then the next fill up I'll switch over to 91 1 time. Then I repeat the cycle all over again. I was told this by my dealer, the general manager, and the machenic who worked on my first oil change at 5,000 miles. However, this is just me and it works fine. That's just my though
Old 04-20-2006, 02:51 PM
Have camera, will travel

I'm surprised 23% disagree with this statement.
Old 04-20-2006, 02:56 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by waTSX
I'm surprised 23% disagree with this statement.
I'm in there. But I agree with the idea, just not the narrowness of the statement. Although I understand CCC's point, so I'm playing mostly devil's advocate (and a little jackass too).
Old 04-20-2006, 03:09 PM
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Old 04-20-2006, 05:12 PM
JDM whore in training

Oh well... gas prices just went up again for the 3rd time in about less than a month here in Hawaii.. if you cant afford to put the proper gas octane in ur TSX.. hell if I care ..you do what u want to YOUR CAR..but then again.. just dont btich when ur car starts knocking, making weird noises and what not..

I wouldnt low ball on my car.. and when it does come to the point where I cant put the proper octane.. then I just wont drive my car. there's always the bus!
Old 04-20-2006, 05:40 PM
Registered Abuser of VTEC

Received 115 Likes on 84 Posts
The day I realized this was the next day after I last filled up with 87.
Most people don't understand that you get the optimum fuel economy on the RECOMMENDED grade of gasoline that your car is designed for. 95% of people probably don't even measure their fuel economy. They just go to the gas station when it's time to fill up. I meticulously monitor mine, but I know my parents haven't even once in all the years they've been driving.
Old 04-20-2006, 11:05 PM
Still Lovin my 06

Originally Posted by STL
If that is really true, then it's most likely because the 93 is a lesser quality gasoline than the 91 you're buying -- it's not because of the octane difference per se.

i get them both at sunoco at the same station. if the TSX is configured to run at 91, then wouldn't it make sense in both directions....
Old 04-20-2006, 11:07 PM
Still Lovin my 06

I'm in there. But I agree with the idea, just not the narrowness of the statement. Although I understand CCC's point, so I'm playing mostly devil's advocate (and a little jackass too).
it's because the question is just plain false. no one is not buying premium because they can't afford it, they're buying it because they choose not to, and choose to, in their mind, save some cash.

so the answer to the statement has to be no, if you're intelligent.
Old 04-21-2006, 12:19 AM
Advanced

I started making moonshine in my barn during the winter (was bored) so I"ll be using that soon.

(Are there barns in NYC???)

Quick Reply: If you cant afford to put Premium gas in the TSX then dont buy one.