if import is rice then...

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2004, 07:00 AM
Stokeless

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
if import is rice then...

what is domesitc potatoes? corn? beef? lol just curious...im tired of hearing all this talk of rice this rice that. just because someone wants to mod thier car doesnt mean its rice. there are some very nicely moded imports out there that i wouldnt call rice...
Old 01-03-2004, 07:51 AM
Banned

I don't call them rice... I call them abominations.
Old 01-03-2004, 08:37 AM
Racer

Re: if import is rice then...

Originally posted by Stokeless_TSX
what is domesitc potatoes? corn? beef? lol just curious...im tired of hearing all this talk of rice this rice that. just because someone wants to mod thier car doesnt mean its rice. there are some very nicely moded imports out there that i wouldnt call rice...
Why do you keep bringing it up then?
Old 01-03-2004, 11:03 AM
Rarrrrrrrr!!!!!!

do they called a focus with huge wing and spoilers a rice rocket too?? Cause focus is american.
Old 01-03-2004, 11:14 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It does bring up a valid point. I do see trouble with calling a Focus that has a little too much invested in APC "rice." It does sound odd. We do need to think of something different that is more appropriate. Any suggestions?

We should sticky this one and give it a poll that could be set up after getting a strong list of suggestions...
Old 01-03-2004, 11:16 AM
More On

Silicone?
Old 01-03-2004, 12:59 PM
fdl
Senior Moderator

since when does import = rice? There are plenty of riced out domestics. rice is rice.
Old 01-03-2004, 03:11 PM
Masshole

I read somewhere on the CL forum that american = wheat. I thought that was humorous.
Old 01-03-2004, 08:44 PM
Intermediate

hahhaha, this thread is funny, it gave me a good laugh.
Old 01-04-2004, 02:23 AM
Race Director

Received 631 Likes on 507 Posts
So then:
Asian + mods = rice
Domestic + mods = wheat
European + mods = ? bratwurst
Old 01-04-2004, 02:58 AM
Photography Nerd

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally posted by biker
So then:
Asian + mods = rice
Domestic + mods = wheat
European + mods = ? bratwurst
I'm going to vote for European + mods = Kraut.
Old 01-04-2004, 01:46 PM
Race Director

Received 631 Likes on 507 Posts
OK. Then it's official. Anytime you refer to moded cars in the future use the correct terminology:

"I smoked that krauted 325" or

"that wheated Neon looked pretty nice"
Old 01-04-2004, 01:54 PM
Automobile Aficionado

the only time i consider something rice is when any car (mostly hondas, acuras, toyotas, nissans--hence the phrase "RICE") is modified in a tasteless way....large aluminum wings, stickers, large bulky exhausts, mirrored tint, NOS tags with no actual NOS, etc.....

But some haters on these boards consider a car rice if you add a CAI or have 1.5 inch drop.
Old 01-04-2004, 02:39 PM
Intermediate

Originally posted by NJtsx
the only time i consider something rice is when any car (mostly hondas, acuras, toyotas, nissans--hence the phrase "RICE") is modified in a tasteless way....large aluminum wings, stickers, large bulky exhausts, mirrored tint, NOS tags with no actual NOS, etc.....

But some haters on these boards consider a car rice if you add a CAI or have 1.5 inch drop.
My problem with this is how do you actually know they don't have those items on their cars for functionality purposes? A large adjustable aluminum wing has a functional purpose (emphasis on adjustable). A large bulky exhaust could indicate a wide diameter free flowing exhaust, which can be extremely functional, especial for FI applications. As for NOS tags, how do you know they don't have any NOS? If you race them and burn them does that mean they don't have any? No, not necessarily, they may have not wanted to use it during a joy ride.

My comments are not directed at just NJtsx, but anyone who may feel the same way and to those that take an extreme view on it, similar to the NJtsx mentioned, in that just about any mod is rice. Like the original poster, I feel rice is being used way to much, and perhaps more importantly, inappropriately. But, that begs the question, what is the definition of rice? I thought it was something along the lines of modifications that add no performance benefit but allude to performance modifications. Going by that definition, a car with wing and a carbon fiber hood but no internal modifications would be rice. However, even with that I see a problem. Perhaps the person doesn't even care about adding more power nor do they want others to think that they have modified the engine. Maybe they just like the look of it. In which case, to them, the mods are tasteful and useful for their purpose (aesthetics). Not to mention the possible weight savings of the CF hood, but that’s a different story.

To end this rant, I guess my whole problem with the term rice is that it is far too subjective (or at least it seems to be used that way). It groups people that just want to distinguish themselves via the look of their car and people who want to "impress" and or fool others by claiming mods they don't have into the same category.

P.S. For those wondering, no, you would never see me with a gigantic wing on my car, or even an adjustable wing, simply because they don't look that good to me in most applications (san the Evo). I wouldn't even use an unpainted CF hood, because they don't look right to me, except with a few particular car colors. However, I wouldn't call it rice simply because I don’t think its tasteful and it was an import. If that were the case then I'd call the new Accord's (sedan) rear end rice, because its oogly to me and its an import.
Old 01-04-2004, 02:57 PM

:whocares: A large adjustable aluminum wing has a functional purpose... :ghey:
Old 01-04-2004, 03:35 PM
Photography Nerd

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally posted by KC 2004 TSX
:whocares: A large adjustable aluminum wing has a functional purpose... :ghey:
Exactly! Maybe on a race track but not on the streets!
Old 01-04-2004, 05:06 PM
Automobile Aficionado

Originally posted by Dan Martin
i agree....i was stating that some of these kids put all this tasteless crap on their cars.
Thrawn- i understand completely what you are saying but then again you can argue that every mod has its advantage. a wing, NOS or anything else of course has their postive attributes, but if not done 'right' then they are cheesy and RICE. A 91 interga LS with a pep boys aluminum wing, pointless decals, unpainted fenders, hand crafted mesh grilles, stock 15 inch hubcap wheels, "M3 tips", VTEC decal and bass tube impostering a NOS can might sound intersting but to me is actually RICE. now you talk a tru LS VTEC or Type R....thats tasteful.
Old 01-04-2004, 05:37 PM
Obnoxious Philadelphian

Originally posted by biker
OK. Then it's official. Anytime you refer to moded cars in the future use the correct terminology:

"I smoked that krauted 325" or

"that wheated Neon looked pretty nice"
ROFL
Old 01-04-2004, 06:37 PM
Intermediate

Originally posted by Dan Martin
Sorry, that’s what I meant, on the track.

i understand completely what you are saying but then again you can argue that every mod has its advantage. a wing, NOS or anything else of course has their postive attributes, but if not done 'right' then they are cheesy and RICE.
I think we agree on the same points then. My biggest issue is with people automatically calling a car rice because they see a decal or a wing on it (even if done tastefully), not knowing if they actually have parts to back up their claims or if they take their car to the tracks.