I Really Need Help

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2004, 01:50 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by ClutchPerformer
That's why the road designers put speed limits on the roads.
the road designers dont put the speed limits..the cities/gov't do that to generate revenue... is 55mph a realistic safe speed on highways?? you could do 80mph+ with no safety issues on most highways.
Old 02-17-2004, 03:10 PM
TSX Owner

Originally posted by Soze75
Lucky you don't live in Finland, or one of those Scandanavian countries.
The ticket fees are based on personal income. Some dude who was caught blasting through the streets of Helsinki was given a $200 000 ticket for speeding.
I saw that in the Wall Street Journal a while back. That guy's was so high because over there they base the fines on the violator's income; it's not simply a fixed amount for everybody. That way a fine for the same offense hurts a rich person as much as it does a poor person; the theory is that a $200 fine is not a big enough incentive for a guy making $1 million/year to drive safely.
Old 02-17-2004, 03:46 PM
Pinky all stinky

Received 189 Likes on 117 Posts
Originally posted by gcolby03
I saw that in the Wall Street Journal a while back. That guy's was so high because over there they base the fines on the violator's income; it's not simply a fixed amount for everybody. That way a fine for the same offense hurts a rich person as much as it does a poor person; the theory is that a $200 fine is not a big enough incentive for a guy making $1 million/year to drive safely.
So what happens if you're unemployed?
Old 02-17-2004, 03:53 PM
STC
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
I call BS, this guy cant be that stupid to post that shit in here.
Old 02-17-2004, 07:52 PM
cmf
ATCer

I don't think it's BS, I think he came on here trying to be some badass and show off---thinking he was so cool......boy was he wrong about the responses he was gonna get!
Old 02-17-2004, 08:44 PM
Burning Brakes

give him a break! jeeez.....just call a lawyer and get ur ticket dismissed. then it wouldnt be on your records. =D
Old 02-17-2004, 08:57 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by tuan209
give him a break! jeeez.....just call a lawyer and get ur ticket dismissed. then it wouldnt be on your records. =D
I'm no expert, but I've seen enough episodes of Law & Order to know that no judge is gonna dismiss a "double-the-speed-limit" ticket. Besides, if he hired a lawyer he'd probably have to tell "Mommy & Daddy" and he doesn't seem to want to do that!

Geesh...kids today (Uh oh...I think I just sounded like my dad there...lol)
Old 02-18-2004, 09:41 AM
TSX Owner

Originally posted by phile
So what happens if you're unemployed?
Hmmm...good question. No clue, they might have minimum fines set for that case. Here's a link to a recent news report talking about a similar case in Finland:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/1759791.stm
Old 02-18-2004, 10:14 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
Originally posted by yuhoo22
CRY ME A RIVER! You are lucky that you didn't get thrown in jail....thats all I have to say.

@ssholes like you are the ones that kill people because they think they can drive well, even at speeds that double the speed limit. Like someone mentioned above, I hope your rents beat the crap out of you and take away your car. People like you are the ones that cause me to have such a high insurance premium.

Sure everyone one of us wants to take out a car or two, but to double the speed limit is ridiculous. I am gonna guess that you weren't even "racing" anyone cause you didn't mention that, which gets me more upset.

PS: If you don't want to get flamed next time, don't post how you were being and idiot on a public forum.
I'm not going to condone what the kid did, it was plain wrong and stupid and I'm glad he got caught, its the only way he'll learn aside from killing himself or someone else. But are you going to sit here and tell us that you never went double ethe speed limit? Say 60MPH in a 30? Especially when you were young and stupid. If you hav'nt then good for you because your probly the only one.

I barely speed anymore even 20km over out of fear higher insurance premiums. But I sped when I was younger, rarely 200km in a 100 zone but often 80km in a 40km or 100km in a 60km.
Old 02-18-2004, 10:20 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by gilboman
the road designers dont put the speed limits..the cities/gov't do that to generate revenue... is 55mph a realistic safe speed on highways?? you could do 80mph+ with no safety issues on most highways.
National Motorists Association
Speed limits should represent the maximum safe and reasonable speed on a highway during good traffic and roadway conditions capable of being traveled by the normally competent vehicle operator in a typical motor vehicle. Traffic engineering studies have found that the best way to ascertain the appropriate speed limit is to survey the speeds of free flowing traffic. The speed at which 85% to 90% of the vehicles are traveling at or below has generally been determined to be a limit which minimizes accident risk and maximizes motorist compliance. It blends an optimum combination of efficiency, consensus, enforceability, and safety.
Speed limits have to be a lowest common denominator. Sure it may be safe for me in my TSX and you in your 330xi to do 80 on that highway. But if the idiot in the shitbox '79 Pinto decides that it's OK for him to do so because the speed limit sign says so, then we're both in trouble.
Old 02-18-2004, 10:35 AM
cmf
ATCer

Domn--not to be rude, but doubling the speed limit in a 30 is more f-ed up than doubling it in a 60. Speedlimits are set based on surroundings and road conditions. That means you are saying that even in your youth, you would do 60 MPH in a residential area. That is insane. I am not saying I never speed, but there is a place to do it. Like 90 in a 75 on an open interstate. I would shoot somebody that drove down past my house at 60 MPH! Simple as that. This kid was on a street that was posted as 55 MPH, meaning, either a two way street (one lane each way), or a 4 lane highway (two lanes each way) with no shoulder. Probably beating a dead dog here, but I guess the main point is not to come out here asking what he should do because he was being retarded!
Old 02-18-2004, 10:49 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
Originally posted by cmf
Domn--not to be rude, but doubling the speed limit in a 30 is more f-ed up than doubling it in a 60. Speedlimits are set based on surroundings and road conditions. That means you are saying that even in your youth, you would do 60 MPH in a residential area. That is insane. I am not saying I never speed, but there is a place to do it. Like 90 in a 75 on an open interstate. I would shoot somebody that drove down past my house at 60 MPH! Simple as that. This kid was on a street that was posted as 55 MPH, meaning, either a two way street (one lane each way), or a 4 lane highway (two lanes each way) with no shoulder. Probably beating a dead dog here, but I guess the main point is not to come out here asking what he should do because he was being retarded!
Never said it was'nt f- uped, it definently is, but thats not to say there are'nt people (mostly younger people) stupid and inexperienced enough to do it. Would I do 60 in a 30? No but I would do 80km (50MPH) in a 50km (31MPH). Never for more than a few seconds, but it would happen. And I've seen and ridden with people who have done alot worse. It happens and will continue to happen for as long as people continue to drive cars unfortunately.

Stupidiest I've ever been was 240KM (150MPH) in 100km (62.5MPH) zone (Highway 407) with my Integra. Road was empty as it was late and highway was new. Stupiest thing I ever did for sure, but I WAS young and stupid and lucky enough no to get caught or killed.
Old 02-18-2004, 06:03 PM
John Starks - The Dunk

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
To speed is one thing, to speed and double the limit for more than a couple seconds is another. From this little story, I got that he was consistantly driving at that high a speed to get to where ever he was going. Not pushing his car to see how it handled and then slow down right away.

I am 24, and some may argue that I am still young but when i was younger (18) i didn't have the balls to double the speed limit nor the idiot in me. That is what he should have been thinking, cause everyone knows that if you do the crime, you better be able to do the time. I agree with you domn about everyone going above speed limits, but I am sure that you would agree that the car handles a lot differently at 100+ than at 60 if you were doubling speed limits. Bottom line, I still think the kid is an idiot. There were stats i read some where showing the percentages that someone would survive a wreck at certain speeds....the difference between 50mph (~80%) and 70mph (~47%) is definitely not proportional to how much over the speed limit you are. Can you imagine the stat at 100+....now factor in your family.

Like i said, he is an idiot! Thats just IMHO and my 2 cents on the matter.
Old 02-18-2004, 06:20 PM
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
If they wrote you up for 103 then how fast were you really going? Do you know what the stopping distance is from 103mph? Doing this is nothing but STUPID and I don't have any sympathy for you. You wanna be a man? Show some nads and come clean with your folks.
Old 02-18-2004, 06:32 PM
OG

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Ok boys...but I don't think he has been back. maybe he is grounded...for life.