I passed up a great deal over color :(

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2004, 08:10 AM
CEO of IMHO

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I passed up a great deal over color :(

I just need to throw this story out to the community so I can get over it myself:

My nearby dealer had one 04TSX 6sp/NAV left, and they were letting it go at invoice. I'm so very interested in paying invoice for the TSX because it's a phenomenal deal!

However, at the last moment, I passed it up because it wasn't one of the colors that I wanted. I wanted either CG or NBP. This TSX was SSM. Now, SSM is a nice color on the TSX, no doubt!, but for me it blends in too easily with the rest of the world.

So, it looks like I'll have to wait until the 05s come out, and somehow hope that I won't have to pay MSRP, so that the premium for my choice of color won't be $2.5k.

Jon

PS - I'm also secretly hoping that the 05 seats are subtly modified to fit my back better.
Old 11-21-2004, 08:22 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If it makes you feel any better... the whole reason I ended up buying a TL over a TSX was because of color. I only wanted an ebony interior (Hate parchment), and they only colors on the TSX with which you could get an ebony interior was SSM and ABP I believe...

I didn’t want SSM for the same reason you had mentioned, so I ended up buying a TL...

ah well, you have to buy something that you'll be happy with... no compromises...
Old 11-21-2004, 09:24 AM
2010 TL AWD 6MT: New King

Received 165 Likes on 104 Posts
Originally Posted by JonDeutsch
I just need to throw this story out to the community so I can get over it myself:

My nearby dealer had one 04TSX 6sp/NAV left, and they were letting it go at invoice. I'm so very interested in paying invoice for the TSX because it's a phenomenal deal!

However, at the last moment, I passed it up because it wasn't one of the colors that I wanted. I wanted either CG or NBP. This TSX was SSM. Now, SSM is a nice color on the TSX, no doubt!, but for me it blends in too easily with the rest of the world.

So, it looks like I'll have to wait until the 05s come out, and somehow hope that I won't have to pay MSRP, so that the premium for my choice of color won't be $2.5k.

Jon

PS - I'm also secretly hoping that the 05 seats are subtly modified to fit my back better.
I took a look at a preordered 05 CG (soon to be mine I hope) on the lot in the daylight yesterday, and it looks absolutely gorgeous. Depending on the lighting and angle, the color actually seems to morph from grey to a bluish tint, and vice versa. Probably my imagination, nevertheless CG looks really nice. I am chosing CG over NBP b/c it's easier to keep looking clean, tends to hide scratches, and again, looks superb.
Old 11-21-2004, 09:46 AM
Jewdacris!!

Sorry to hear that you passed, but in the end youll be happier that way. I was looking at Jettas before the TSX and they were gonna give me a great deal on a VR6, but it was only what was on the lot and i did the same thing as you beacuse all i wanted was Black with Black interior, and in the end i got a better car with the color combo i wanted. So good luck with your choice.
Old 11-21-2004, 11:10 AM
Advanced

Get the color you want, you'll regret it later! I say all the time, "I should've got that color" when I see something else cuz it's always in the back of my head.
Old 11-21-2004, 12:23 PM
Hondaholic

I've got a SSM/6MT Navi, and I paid invoice for it back in June.......

When you're spending this much on a car, you've GOT to get exactly what you want; it's not worth settling on a color or an option that isn't exactly right for you, so you did the right thing.

I also believe with a little negotiation that you'll get an 05 for only a few hundred more, and you'll have XM and heated mirrors, which will come in handy in PA.......

I actually prefer the overall look of both ABP and CG over SSM, but the upkeep is just not worth it at this point in my life. Because I have a ten month old, I'm happier with a car that always looks clean without having to devote much time to keep it that way.
Old 11-21-2004, 12:35 PM
I am Ahab!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
it's owrth it otherwise you never would've fully liked the car. Every time you saw one of the other colors you would've wished you gotten it.
Old 11-21-2004, 01:15 PM
Instructor

Never settle for what you exactly want! That is one of my mottos in life. Why pay half price for something you only half like? I had a chance to get a silver one too but got a black 05 for more and I don't regret it at all. My NBP looks so nice and shiny right now. You'll love it.
Old 11-21-2004, 01:38 PM
Suzuka Master

Don't ever settle. This is a car purchase, not a bag of peanuts. Though I've sold over 500 Honda/Acura cars, I still never like to think that someone has to settle on such a significant decision. It may seem fickle, but color is a pretty important choice.
Old 11-21-2004, 01:56 PM
2010 TL AWD 6MT: New King

Received 165 Likes on 104 Posts
Originally Posted by LannyM
I've got a SSM/6MT Navi, and I paid invoice for it back in June.......

When you're spending this much on a car, you've GOT to get exactly what you want; it's not worth settling on a color or an option that isn't exactly right for you, so you did the right thing.

I also believe with a little negotiation that you'll get an 05 for only a few hundred more, and you'll have XM and heated mirrors, which will come in handy in PA.......

I actually prefer the overall look of both ABP and CG over SSM, but the upkeep is just not worth it at this point in my life. Because I have a ten month old, I'm happier with a car that always looks clean without having to devote much time to keep it that way.
Agreed; when you're spending 28-29K for a car, you ought to get precisely what you've want. You also won't be bought out buy the dealer.
Old 11-21-2004, 02:09 PM
Instructor

Don't let the dealer pressure you, it happened to me, and I bought silver instead of carbon gray, now every time I look at a carbon gray, i think that it looks so much better!
Old 11-21-2004, 03:49 PM
Racer

i kinda wish i had a couple tsx's of every color, and drive a diff one each day...!
Old 11-21-2004, 04:53 PM
6 speed yo!

id take any color TSX thats how much i love the car
Old 11-21-2004, 05:00 PM
Instructor

I know this is off topic, but I keep hearing people talk about there 2005. The dealers by me (as of Friday) still don't have a 2005 yet! So I am still waiting for my car and it is killing me!
Old 11-21-2004, 05:05 PM
Go Giants

Received 1,235 Likes on 824 Posts
They are coming from the west. They will come.
Old 11-21-2004, 06:38 PM
Driver/Detailer

Get the colour you want man.... It's like getting the 2nd best chick because the 1st one was out of town for that day. Patience..... and money....
Old 11-21-2004, 06:52 PM
CEO of IMHO

Thanks guys

Wow, I guess this just proves that the TSX inspires a passionate following, because a 'normal' car following I think takes price into account more than color.

But, not here. I'm with good company. Now I have to figure out how to get an '05 TSX for $500 over invoice. I've had serious difficulties negotiating with local dealers on the TSX and TL over the past year. Made very little headway.

Don't know what I'm doing wrong... I am always ready to leave the table if it's not the right deal, and they also seem to let me...

Jon
Old 11-21-2004, 07:02 PM
Not an Ashtray

Jon

Personally, Jon, I think you made the right move. I have "settled" on colors I didn't like in the past to get a car right away, or at a good deal. I've always winded up regretting it. Conversely, I think half the reason I love my TSX is because I really like the color a lot.

And, btw, the 2005 TSX will have some nice new features that you'll really like having (like XM radio).

As for price, just wait a month or two. I'm confident the 2005 models will come down in price.
Old 11-21-2004, 07:07 PM
Burning Brakes

Wow, I guess this just proves that the TSX inspires a passionate following, because a 'normal' car following I think takes price into account more than color.

But, not here. I'm with good company. Now I have to figure out how to get an '05 TSX for $500 over invoice. I've had serious difficulties negotiating with local dealers on the TSX and TL over the past year. Made very little headway.

Don't know what I'm doing wrong... I am always ready to leave the table if it's not the right deal, and they also seem to let me...

Jon
cuz they can tell if u really in love with the car or not .. ~
well .. it's easy to sense that u target TSX and they kno u r be back
it's not all abt leaving the table .. ~
Old 11-21-2004, 08:14 PM
yup.

I passed on an 04 SSM/Ebony/6MT/NAV at $27,255. It had a little over 100 demo miles on it. About a week later i got my 04 CG/Quartz/6MT/NAV at $27,750 with no miles on it. It was well worth the wait to get the color I really wanted. (This was back in March 04.)

There will always be another deal. No worries.
Old 11-22-2004, 10:27 AM
Instructor

You're going to hear both sides.

1. I'd take any color if I had the chance
2. Get what you want, it's too big of a purchase to have something you're not completely happy with.

I had the same situation the year the last generation Accord coupe came out. There was a really nice forest green w/ tan leather coupe that the dealer ship was going to let me have at invoice when most were selling at sticker. But I didn't like green and passed on it. I've never regretted.

I'm in the #2 camp, wait to get what you want. If they can sell that one at invoice, they will sell your color at invoice. Especially, if they know you'll buy from them. Dealerships make a ton of backend money - even when they sell at invoice. They don't like to talk about it and the salesman makes nothing but the dealership does. So don't let them lie to you.

Get what you want! You wont regret it.