I Am Fuming

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2006, 09:47 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I Am Fuming

Just got my TSX two weeks ago, and I baby the thing. Then last night while coming home from me girlfriend's house in NJ I hit a pothole the size of Texas. It was raining and very dark as New Jersey doenst believe in street lamps. Anyway I hit this thing so hard that I blew out my tire. The thud was so loud and I could feel it in my gut when I hit it. I changed the flat (in the dark and the rain), and the car drives fine, BUT I hit it SO HARD that I cant shake the feeling that I might have messed something up underneath the car even tho it drives fine.

To top this off there was a cop at a 7-11 across the street and I told him about the pothole. He said got a call for it but didnt find it, then he drives away. I wanted to ram my fist down his throat because if he would have taken two seconds to put a cone in the hole I wouldnt have hit it. Anyway, anyone hit a pothole with their TSX and experience any problems after? I keep replaying the whole thing in my head and I cringe. Dammit!
Old 04-23-2006, 09:51 PM
Instructor

Scary. Definitely nightmarish to a new TSX owner. Hopefully, no other damage. Maybe you can take it to the dealer for a go-round and find some peace of mind.
Old 04-23-2006, 09:58 PM
Cruisin'

Yeah I think Im gonan do that, thanks. Its really a horrible feeling. Another thing is the tire is blown so I need a new one. But when I read the Michelin warranty it says "Road Hazzards" arent covered. Think they;ll replace it? Any suggestions as to what to say to maybe get it replaced under warranty? FYI there's what looks like 2 inch gash right above the rim.
Old 04-23-2006, 10:01 PM
Bye TSX, hello domestic?

when you get a regular wheel/tire back on the car, if it drives straight then your suspenion is likely ok. if it pulls, it might just need an alignment, or something might be bent
Old 04-23-2006, 10:03 PM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
Unfortunately, tires are a wear item, which means they are not warrantied. Your dealership might be nice and do it as a courtesy, but if not, you're out of luck and are gonna have to cough up the money for it.

As for damage, beyond damage to the wheel itself, I would not expect there to be anything other major unless the car is exhibiting unusual characteristics.
Old 04-23-2006, 10:07 PM
Spy
Advanced

Ahh, NJ cops....I remember about 15 years ago, when I was still in high school, being stuck with a broken down car on the highway just outside of Hoboken at 3 in the morning. I saw a cop drive by and do nothing, not even stop to call a tow truck. No, no cop will stop to put a cone in a pot hole.
Old 04-23-2006, 10:30 PM
Team Owner

Received 105 Likes on 69 Posts
Eh, not the same situation, but about two weeks ago, some kids left two basketballs under my car, and I didn't see them when I drove away, and when I started off, the balls lifted up my car and my car slammed back down on the ground. I stopped, yelled at the kids who left the balls under my car and kicked them away. The car's been pulling on the highway at high speeds, and something doesn't feel right. I guess I'm in the same situation as you.
Old 04-23-2006, 10:59 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by EuRTSX
Eh, not the same situation, but about two weeks ago, some kids left two basketballs under my car, and I didn't see them when I drove away, and when I started off, the balls lifted up my car and my car slammed back down on the ground. I stopped, yelled at the kids who left the balls under my car and kicked them away. The car's been pulling on the highway at high speeds, and something doesn't feel right. I guess I'm in the same situation as you.
Guess they're too busy fighting terror.
Old 04-23-2006, 11:33 PM
Banned

ouch sprry to hear that.
But how about giving a e-warning like which road is the shit hole on ?
Old 04-24-2006, 01:31 AM
Burning Brakes

can't u sue the city for that?
Old 04-24-2006, 06:30 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 361 Likes on 316 Posts
I've heard of sueing the city for damages. May be something to look into. Seems like I read another thread about it. Sorry to hear about your misfortune.....
Old 04-24-2006, 07:56 AM
Advanced

You can have the city refund the cost of whatever damage the road did to your car. In NYC that is AFTER you've fix the damage out of your pocket. I don't know how it is in your city, so make some calls. Also go back to the "dreaded pothole from Hell" and take pictures right away, before they fix the damn thing. Take some pictures of your blown tire too. Hope this helps and make the city pay for hurting a TSX.
Old 04-24-2006, 09:39 AM
5o9
'05 TSX 6MT

Lightbulb

Consider the bright side

1) You don't need body work.

2) Great excuse to get something other than the worst tires on earth.

3) If you want to keep on with these tires, guys on this board will provide. I bet you can pick up some for free, within a one hour drive. The donor saves the disposal fee!
Old 04-24-2006, 09:49 AM
X spots the mark

I wouldn't recommend sueing the city, especially if it's just the tire. You're very unlikely to get anything out of them and this process could take years.
Old 04-24-2006, 12:43 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by csharp57
You can have the city refund the cost of whatever damage the road did to your car. In NYC that is AFTER you've fix the damage out of your pocket. I don't know how it is in your city, so make some calls. Also go back to the "dreaded pothole from Hell" and take pictures right away, before they fix the damn thing. Take some pictures of your blown tire too. Hope this helps and make the city pay for hurting a TSX.

That's right, you can claim the city for damage repair costs. For NYC it would be the Comptroller, they have a form on their website:

http://www.nyc.gov/html/dot/html/motorist/pothole.html

See if they have one for NJ. I've filed with NYC before, it took a few weeks and there was no hassle, although apparently there are some terms like the pothole has to be there long enough or something, but in my case I didn't have to deal with that. Just try to take a picture of the pothole if you can, that helps a lot. You should be able to claim the costs for repairing damages and at least an alignment.
Old 04-24-2006, 01:20 PM
Intermediate

Here in California you can go through CalTrans (California Department of Transportation) to flip the bill. With all the rain we have had since late last year (2005), there have been sinkholes, potholes, and cracks all up and down the roads causing chaos. A friend of mine had his Chevy Silverado all banged up on a pothole approaching the Bay Bride toll plaza. Blew out a tire, screwed up his allignment, and the PVC boot got cracked with the greese coming out and all. He looked into it a little, got it fixed, and called CalTrans in downtown Oakland and they told him to fax them the body shop report. A few weeks later they took care of it and he was made whole. Hey, it's not his fault the road was all screwed up. Why should he have to come out of pocket for the State's negligence of fixing the road in a timly manner? Well, that's just my Good luck bro.