How come the Canadian version...

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2004, 03:38 PM
I spend 2 much time here

Received 103 Likes on 67 Posts
How come the Canadian version...

How come the Canadian version of the TSX has daytime running lamps and has a dashboard indicator for when you windshield wiper fluid is running low? Seems kind of absurd that us Yankess don't get those goodies. Maybe the Honda people in Japan think that it is funny to screw us out of some features. I'm not laughing!
Old 01-31-2004, 03:40 PM
Photography Nerd

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Time to invade!
Old 01-31-2004, 03:42 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: How come the Canadian version...

Originally posted by JiggaMan
How come the Canadian version of the TSX has daytime running lamps and has a dashboard indicator for when you windshield wiper fluid is running low? Seems kind of absurd that us Yankess don't get those goodies. Maybe the Honda people in Japan think that it is funny to screw us out of some features. I'm not laughing!
You forgot the heated side mirrors
Old 01-31-2004, 03:43 PM
Advanced

Originally posted by Dan Martin
Time to invade!

I'll trade you Prince Edward Island for Arizona!
Old 01-31-2004, 03:45 PM
I spend 2 much time here

Received 103 Likes on 67 Posts
Re: Re: How come the Canadian version...

Originally posted by T Sexy
You forgot the heated side mirrors
DOH!!!
Old 01-31-2004, 04:49 PM
TSXASORISREX

any one remember the movie canadian bacon in order to start a war we must say "canadian beer sucks!!!"
Old 01-31-2004, 05:01 PM
bleh...

DRLs are required in Canada, I wish they were required here because it makes highway driving a lot safer.

Only cars you see DRLs on are GMs, Toyotas, some German cars.
Old 01-31-2004, 07:30 PM
Intermediate

Originally posted by Agent_Chen
DRLs are required in Canada, I wish they were required here because it makes highway driving a lot safer.

Only cars you see DRLs on are GMs, Toyotas, some German cars.

actually dont forget Subaru's all have DRL's.....
Old 01-31-2004, 08:26 PM
Burning Brakes

i noticed that when the sun shines on the dash just right you can see the low washer warning light and DRL indicators in the insturment cluster. i wonder if a part could be ordered for the washer and plugged into a harness. maybe the light will work?
Old 01-31-2004, 09:18 PM
UK Spec

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Bass Mechanic
i noticed that when the sun shines on the dash just right you can see the low washer warning light and DRL indicators in the insturment cluster. i wonder if a part could be ordered for the washer and plugged into a harness. maybe the light will work?
for DRL, i m sure it's a just a fuse... i know it's factroy option for ya
guys i think..

open up ur fuse box and plug in a fuse and u are set...
Old 01-31-2004, 09:28 PM
Racer

And didn't someone mention that the Euro Accord senses rain?
Old 01-31-2004, 11:58 PM
CDR
Instructor

Originally posted by NeoChaser
for DRL, i m sure it's a just a fuse... i know it's factroy option for ya guys i think.. open up ur fuse box and plug in a fuse and u are set...
Looking at the TSX Service Manual, here are the differences I see between the DRL for Canada and the non-DRL US model:

- an extra fuse in the under-hood fuse box (position 19, 40A)
- another extra fuse in the under-dash fuse box (No. 3, 10A)
- a Daytime Running Lights relay plugged into a "multi-relay box" stuck on the end of the main under-hood relay/fuse box.

There also has to be a small difference in the gauge circuitry to light up the DRL light.

If someone's interested, they can check their US TSX to see if the multi-relay box is present. If not, this would be quite a bit of work.
Old 02-01-2004, 02:32 AM
Racer

beside the navi system.. we canadian TSX get more standard stuff compare the US TSX. that's good to know.
Old 02-01-2004, 09:38 AM
Burning Brakes

im going to change subjects for a minute, personally i dont really care about DRL but a low level switch on the washer tank would be nice.
i talked to e_lectro about it because he has the manuel.
we both think that if you add a wire or can find the wire already at the washer reservoir it would be easy to install the float switch to make the washer light work.
the circuit is a simple one it simply turns the light on when this wire is grounded.
he said that if the wire is missing from the harness behind the insturment cluster it appears that attaching that 1 wire and grounding it activates the light.
all we need to do is find the float switch from acura. i dont know if the reservoir has to be replaced or if there is an access hole you can make or unplug on the tank.
if anyone has had the bumper off or will have it of in the near future can you let us know?
Old 02-01-2004, 10:25 AM
Race Director

Received 629 Likes on 506 Posts
I wish they were required here because it makes highway driving a lot safer.
Are you that lazy that you can't turn them on yourself? The number of problems with a typical car is usually propotional with the number of gadgets the car has. Look at BMW and MB, when you see them at the dealer it's almost never a drivetrain issue - it's some gadget or the electronics (or software for it) that's the problem. So before you ask for more and more gadgets know that you are inviting more and more problems.

Biker, who would rather have less gadgets with fewer problems.
Old 02-01-2004, 11:19 AM
Banned

but a low level switch on the washer tank would be nice.
I can't believe that they skimped on this in US! This and heated mirrors is also std on Accord EX models since at least 1998.

The low-level switch is almost a necessity. In January, I passed one gallon of windshield washer fluid a week. And it is not in the middle of the traffic, surrounded by truck and tons of salt that I should realize that the tank is empty.
Old 02-01-2004, 11:34 AM
Bound for Europe

Anyone want to tade me my heated side mirrors, low fluid warning light, and DRL kit for a couple cans of Carbon Grey?
Old 02-01-2004, 11:41 AM
Advanced

Originally posted by Soze75
Anyone want to tade me my heated side mirrors, low fluid warning light, and DRL kit for a couple cans of Carbon Grey?
That's right!! OK sure we have Heated side mirrors, a fluid warning light, a DRL kit, and front splash guards all included on the Canadian models. Sounds nice? Well at what cost??!!

We don't have the artic blue (would have been my choice), or carbon grey! We don't have any flexibility for interior colours....they are what they are....and no quartz either.

Say, is there a fuse I can change to change my TSX to Artic Blue? :pfawk:
Old 02-01-2004, 11:42 AM
Advanced

dosen't the DLR use the high beams? At least thats what it looks like on some of the cars that drive past me. If thats the case I would be really instested in this.
Old 02-01-2004, 12:54 PM
Old fart

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
I'll trade you Carbon Grey for Indigo Blue
Old 02-01-2004, 01:38 PM
Photography Nerd

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally posted by TSX 'R' US
I'll trade you Carbon Grey for Indigo Blue
Deal! Indigo looks really nice in some darker conditions but it's purple in daylight.
Old 02-01-2004, 03:04 PM
fdl
Senior Moderator

We also get White with ebony which looks pretty nice.
Old 02-01-2004, 03:44 PM
Advanced

Ok who wants to start a pool for which country will get the 2005 with Metalic Hot Pink and White Leather interior?

Old 02-01-2004, 06:09 PM
UK Spec

Originally posted by fdl
We also get White with ebony which looks pretty nice.
but i want blk with ebony :'(
Old 02-01-2004, 07:18 PM
Cruisin'

We don't have the artic blue (would have been my choice), or carbon grey! We don't have any flexibility for interior colours....they are what they are.... :pfawk:
I don't like the fact Canucks don't get carbon grey either. I'm buying a TSX this summer and that is the colour of choice for me if it were available. I was so ticked, I called Acura headquarters in Toronto and told them. They seemed surprised like they had never heard this complaint before. So get on the phones people and tell Acura we want more colour choices in Canada.
Old 02-01-2004, 07:47 PM
Pro

Originally posted by dickise
dosen't the DLR use the high beams? At least thats what it looks like on some of the cars that drive past me. If thats the case I would be really instested in this.
Yes, the DRL's use the hi-beams at a lower voltage. We Canucks also get one year less warranty, though (3 yr /60,0000 km).
Old 02-01-2004, 07:48 PM
UK Spec

Originally posted by adamtaylor
I don't like the fact Canucks don't get carbon grey either. I'm buying a TSX this summer and that is the colour of choice for me if it were available. I was so ticked, I called Acura headquarters in Toronto and told them. They seemed surprised like they had never heard this complaint before. So get on the phones people and tell Acura we want more colour choices in Canada.
if u r getting it in the summer
it's gona be close to a 05 model ... u might be able to get
more choices...
Old 02-01-2004, 10:03 PM
such a dirty birdy

The TSX is the only DRL-equipped car I've ever seen where the DRLs that DON'T turn off when you set the parking brake. There is no way to have the car running without the DRLs on. Which would make it an annoying car to take to a drive-in movie, if they still existed.
Old 02-01-2004, 10:31 PM
Bound for Europe

Originally posted by majormojo
The TSX is the only DRL-equipped car I've ever seen where the DRLs that DON'T turn off when you set the parking brake. There is no way to have the car running without the DRLs on. Which would make it an annoying car to take to a drive-in movie, if they still existed.
I agree. I'm all about stealth. In my line of work, being unseen is tantamount to my success. When the bad guys spot me, everything is compromised. I truly don't recommend the TSX to any fellow celebrity stalkers.

(I'm kidding big brother )
Old 02-01-2004, 11:30 PM
Advanced

I agree. I'm all about stealth. In my line of work, being unseen is tantamount to my success. When the bad guys spot me, everything is compromised. I truly don't recommend the TSX to any fellow celebrity stalkers.

(I'm kidding big brother )

Crap! For a second I thought you were Batman!
Old 02-02-2004, 12:19 AM
A-TSX Oldie

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts
funny. about the only car i've driven where the drl turns off when you pull the parking brake was on a 95 tercel. 91 sentra, 96 sunfire, 99 passat, 03 civic, 04 tsx; none of the drl's went off. :P
Old 02-02-2004, 01:59 AM
Bound for Europe

Crap! For a second I thought you were Batman!

Well, it all went sour a few weeks ago. Robin, already insisting and sticking with the sporting of his Speedo-like, tight green, retro-Robin shorts, began to complain of the cracking leather on his passenger seat. I'd already heard too many of his complaints about the lack of power adjustment, and his constant whining about the mysterious rattles he alleged to hear daily, was driving me Batcrazy.

Rattles? It's a bloody Batmobile FFS! One of a kind with one of a kind mods to make it Batworthy. The R&D team didn't exactly have much to work with such was the expense of the project. (Our budget was cut because the now fearful-of-flying Superman needed a new car, hence the SuperTL - the Kryptonite Green Metallic was hard for him at first, but now he's loving it).

The achievement of modifying the engine to deliver 200ft/lbs of torque was, in itself, a miracle. So the boys forgot a few details. Geesh! Just because EuroBatman and JDM-Batman had their cars six months prior to me doesn't mean mine should be perfect. The rivalry between the three development teams has resulted in everyone not being totally open about the bugs that plague the car. You should have seen the fuss over what caliber the minigun should be. (The JDM boys really pissed off, going with a watercannon - non lethal and more suited for the A -Team).

There was no room for a seat motor due to the inclusion of...

(sidenote- LOL!!! In the background, the Batman theme is featured in a bank commercial as I write this...Hahaha!! I'm changing banks!)

...inclusion of the ejector seat, which sadly, will feature prominently in the climax of this story.

I tell him that the poor leather is no match for his %90 bare legs which flood the perforated seat with acidic, high PH, smelly leg sweat. I'm lucky the leather is ebony and hides most of the destruction caused by his daily oil slick.

But Robin, in his ever increasing ignorant manner, continued to challenge my authority on a daily basis. When he refused to eat at our current fast food sponsor, I drew the line. A picture of him chowing down on a Oreo Blizzard in plain view was circulating on the net and the resulting Bat Signal and intervention was unsuccessful.

Robin's agent was filling his mind with impure, greedy thoughts. A new colour scheme for his uniform, new aggressive "R" logo and finally a call to carry an M60-E3 machine gun on duty. He now thought his bullet proof cape was lame and obsolete, and he now desired to kill rather than capture and tie up with G rated force. Yes, Robin had lost the plot. His demise was surreal and his time was running out.

His end was tragic, in the papers anyway. A terrible "accident" caused by malfunction of the passenger eject feature. It was too bad we were on the freeway when it happened. Poor Robin was caught on tape (BatCam. net ), being pulverised by countless cars, for the world to see.

To cover, we immediately destroyed the Batmobile, citing that it's destruction was vital in protecting BatInterests. What if bad guys got their hands on it? Thus enabling them to discover that those seemingly random, yet timely oilslicks were the result of my trusty old stand-by - the OILSLICK button - now SYNTHETIC in nature.

The blame was laid on a sleeper cell loyal to Al Jokerda - a middle eastern faction of the Joker extremists. They plague the region with funny, almost tolerable terrorist acts which target the funny bones of innocent citizens. Their intentions in North America are to deliver real laughs to the region, thereby destroying Hollywood's grip on the masses, whose very brainwashing has led to record profits for even the crapiest, unoriginal, formulated movies.

For me, life goes on as Batman. I sometimes miss Robin's rare moments of sensibility. He was always excellent in getting some ladies to cruise with us. As well, he often was the clincher when influencing witnesses who saw one of the many accidents caused by my zealous abuse of the untouchable BatInsurance policy. Very few cases get past it and into the hell-on-earth experience that BatLawyer lays on em. Now, I'm thinkin female side-kick. Wonderwoman is plaaayed and Catwoman is in rehab for catnip abuse, so I'm lookin for a new face. bondgrl007???

back to my padded cell... :P
Old 02-02-2004, 10:46 AM
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I nominate the preceeding post for the Top 10 Posts of the Year award. And if we don't have Posts of the Year then we should.
Old 02-02-2004, 10:55 AM
such a dirty birdy

Originally posted by BurnabyTSX
funny. about the only car i've driven where the drl turns off when you pull the parking brake was on a 95 tercel. 91 sentra, 96 sunfire, 99 passat, 03 civic, 04 tsx; none of the drl's went off. :P
Just goes to show the true value of anecdotal evidence...

I discovered this morning that when you start the car with the handbrake on, the DRLs don't turn on until you release the brake. Looks like a software bug to me.
Old 02-02-2004, 10:55 AM
Suzuka Master

ME! I'll even let you keep the DRLs (one of the reasons I bought this car is that it DIDN'T have DRLs, the WRX did--oh well).
Old 02-02-2004, 05:05 PM
Pro

I discovered this morning that when you start the car with the handbrake on, the DRLs don't turn on until you release the brake. Looks like a software bug to me.
It's documented in the manual, p. 72. It even mentions that they stay on when you set the e-brake again.
Old 02-02-2004, 05:50 PM
A-TSX Member

Geezus,

You Canadians (Canadiens? Canucks??) have heated side mirrors, low fluid warning lights, daytime running lights, front splash guards that we yanks don't have, and you guys still want more options like Carbon Gray and Artic Blue?

What's next? Whining about lack of secret compartments to hold a dozen hockey sticks, hot cocoa dispensers, and a heating pads to keep them maple syrup nice and warm inside the car? Where does it stop?

j/k of course.

:P
Old 02-02-2004, 06:45 PM
such a dirty birdy

Originally posted by kiteboy
It's documented in the manual, p. 72. It even mentions that they stay on when you set the e-brake again.
See, that's what I love about this site. Saves all kinds of time that might othewise be wasted RTFM. It's almost always the case that someone else has read the appropriate section and won't hesitiate to chastise the lazy people who don't.

Old 02-02-2004, 06:52 PM
such a dirty birdy

Originally posted by Whatchamacallit
What's next? Whining about lack of secret compartments to hold a dozen hockey sticks, hot cocoa dispensers, and a heating pads to keep them maple syrup nice and warm inside the car? Where does it stop?
What are you talking about? The CDN TSX does have a secret compartment for hockey sticks. We just can't tell you about it because it's, you know, secret. Uh-oh. I think I might be out of the club now. Oh well, what's done is done. I might as well let you know the whole story - it's not a hot cocoa dispenser, it's a poutine dispenser, and while it's labelled "block heater" on the invoice, it really is a maple syrup warmer. I suppose I'll be sent to live in Tuktoyuktuk for blabbing all this. Can't be any colder than Edmonton has been lately...
Old 02-02-2004, 08:10 PM
Pro

The Cdn TSX also has a secondary syrup warmer. I think it's labelled on US cars as "Passenger Seat Heater" or something to that effect. That's why the back isn't heated folks...

Quick Reply: How come the Canadian version...