homelink problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2004, 03:14 PM
6 speed yo!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
homelink problem

i seriously can't get my homelink to work. ive searched and theres nothing that will help me. i know my garage door is compatable cause i did my moms homelink in her car. its the rolling code door so i press the train button and nothing works.
Old 11-07-2004, 04:32 PM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
Try clearing the memory of the homelink system first before you try to input a new code. You may just be running into the inability of the system to overwrite an existing code.
Old 11-07-2004, 06:07 PM
6 speed yo!

i like clear the code 30 times
Old 11-07-2004, 06:09 PM
8th Gear

3 Steps

The rolling code requires 3 steps:

1) Clear memory by holding both side buttons until light blinks fast

2) Train the button with the REMOTE by pressing the Homelink button and the remote button simultaneously until the blinking changes (I cant remember if it goes from slow to fast or fast to slow)

3) Finish training the button by pressing the Train button the ACTUAL OPENER MOTOR and then (within 30 seconds) hold the Homelink button for 3-4 seconds until the blinking changes. Let go of the button and hold it for 3-4 seconds again. let go and do it one more time.

You should be all set!
Old 11-07-2004, 09:44 PM
Instructor

I remember being really confused when I read the instructions for the rolling codes, but when it actually came down to doing it, it was easy and really quick.
Old 11-07-2004, 11:10 PM
cmf
ATCer

I've had the same problem with mine. I can't get the thing to work, and gave up. I programmed my mom's Odyssey with no complications.
Old 11-07-2004, 11:44 PM
Instructor

I've never used another homelink before, but I find it strange that I have to hold it down for a full second or 2 before it actually does anything. I wish the range was slightly farther so I could just pop into neutral and coast all the way in without stopping first and waiting. Oh well.
Old 11-08-2004, 12:21 AM
6 speed yo!

ok seriously im still confused....

do i have to use the actualy garage door remote in any way? please make more clear im lost!!

i think i get it but when i use the garage door remote do i hold the buttons down?
Old 11-08-2004, 01:20 AM
Instructor

Honestly when I read the sovadia's instructions I am confused too. All I remember is when I followed what it said in the manual step by step, it turned out to be fewer steps than it appeared at first. So yeah, read the manual.. if I or someone else paraphrases it, it will probably get even more unclear. Just be patient... it was confusing, and I was surprised I got it to work the first time.

What doesn't work about it?

Sorry, not too helpful. If I get aroudn to it and remember, I'll read the manual page again when I have access to my glove compartment.
Old 11-08-2004, 06:00 AM
Advanced

The remote didn't work for mine.
i had to press the train button from the motor, then hold the homelink button to set it until the garag-opener light flashed. Then it worked.
Old 11-08-2004, 07:03 AM
Safety Car

Received 312 Likes on 198 Posts
Call you garage door manfacturer for detailed instructions. The rolling code doors need to have the train button pushed on the door opener motor too.
Old 11-08-2004, 08:59 AM
9th Gear

Hi Guys

Is it true that even with the car turned off the homelink buttons still work?
If true , that is a very bad system, if its not true how long does it take for the system to shut off and the buttons do not work?
PS my friends Volvo has the same type of system but doesnt work when the car is shut off, which makes more sense.

Thanks
Old 11-08-2004, 09:07 AM
Team Owner

I believe the Homelink system requires that the key be turned to the accessory on position to work. You can't even program it unless the key is turned to the ON position.
Old 11-08-2004, 09:12 AM
Advanced

I have rolling codes and had to use the train button on opener then follow instructions... you have like 30 secs so have to be quick....
Old 11-08-2004, 09:29 AM
9th Gear

Hi CGTSX2004
I am hoping your right, but doubt it as last night i programmed my homelink and after turning the car off and waiting several minutes, pushed the button and was surprised to see the garage door open. If this is the case, i am not sure i will keep it programmed as it gives thiefs a chance to get in easily.

Anyone know?
Thanks
Old 11-08-2004, 10:22 AM
6 speed yo!

still no answers? i press the train button and hold the button i want to program but nothin happens
Old 11-08-2004, 12:06 PM
cmf
ATCer

Originally Posted by Wizzard
Hi CGTSX2004
I am hoping your right, but doubt it as last night i programmed my homelink and after turning the car off and waiting several minutes, pushed the button and was surprised to see the garage door open. If this is the case, i am not sure i will keep it programmed as it gives thiefs a chance to get in easily.

Anyone know?
Thanks

Did you ever exit you car, and then get back in and try. Sometimes power will remain in the car, ie lights and all, till you get out. Try getting out, closing the door, wait a few minutes and then get in and try. I would think it wouldn't work.
Old 11-08-2004, 12:23 PM
9th Gear

Hi CMF
Wrong! Tried that also, still opened the garage when i pushed the homelink.
Can anyone test this because if that is the case, i think Acura messed up, which i would be surprised.
Thanks
Old 11-08-2004, 12:26 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by cmf
Did you ever exit you car, and then get back in and try. Sometimes power will remain in the car, ie lights and all, till you get out. Try getting out, closing the door, wait a few minutes and then get in and try. I would think it wouldn't work.

Wizzard, the Homelink is probably on the same circuit as all the window/sunroof switches, which means that if you don't get out of the car, you still have power to those switches for ten minutes unless you open one of the doors. Try what cmf said and let us all know what happens.
Old 11-08-2004, 12:52 PM
9th Gear

Hi
i exited the car but i am not sure if i waited 10 minutes . I might have to try that again. Ill let you know.
I waited 30-1 minute after shutting the car off.
Thanks
Old 11-08-2004, 01:20 PM
Team Owner

Hi
i exited the car but i am not sure if i waited 10 minutes . I might have to try that again. Ill let you know.
I waited 30-1 minute after shutting the car off.
Thanks
But did you open the door first or did you just sit in the car? If you open the door, the power to those window switches go out so if the Homelink is on that circuit, it should go out too.
Old 11-08-2004, 01:33 PM
Team Nighthawk Member

grrr im also having problems... i did all the possible things i can do and find from homelink.com i reseted it and hit the train/learn button on my garage door motor.. and still no help... and just gave up.. u guys have any tips?
Old 11-08-2004, 01:36 PM
9th Gear

Yeah i sat in the car shut the engine, removed the keys, opened and closed the door while i stayed inside turned the factory alarm on, and waited about 1 minute (while still inside) and then pushed the homelink and bang, the garage door opened............i was shocked.
Wiz
Old 11-08-2004, 01:55 PM
Team Nighthawk Member

ok so i would have to hit the train button and hit the button i wanna program and then open the door and enable the alarm and come back a few minutes later... ? i would be trying this when i get home from work..
Old 11-08-2004, 02:13 PM
9th Gear

Hi I10O0I1

What i said was not meant for you , it was regarding the homelink working while the car was not powered.
Sorry for the confusion
Wiz
Old 11-08-2004, 02:20 PM
Team Owner

Yeah i sat in the car shut the engine, removed the keys, opened and closed the door while i stayed inside turned the factory alarm on, and waited about 1 minute (while still inside) and then pushed the homelink and bang, the garage door opened............i was shocked.
Wiz
Hmm...that's interesting...
Old 11-08-2004, 02:24 PM
Team Nighthawk Member

Hi I10O0I1

What i said was not meant for you , it was regarding the homelink working while the car was not powered.
Sorry for the confusion
Wiz
oo ok sorry... can anyone give me tips to make this work.. ive tried everythign...
Old 11-08-2004, 02:50 PM
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
If this is the case, i am not sure i will keep it programmed as it gives thiefs a chance to get in easily.
But when you are home, your car is supposed to be IN the garage already..

Does anyone know if the Homelink actaully sends a different code each time for a rolling system like the original remote does, or does it put the rolling-code system into a fixed-code mode, thus defeating the security benefits of the rolling-code?
Old 11-08-2004, 06:03 PM
I may be fat but I'm slow

Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts
When I programmed my H-link, I used the directions in the Acura manual....no help.
Then I used the directions in my garage door opener manual....no help.
Then I printed directions from homelink.com....no help.

Finally, I called the H-link 1-800 number, and they had automated instructions over the phone, those did it. 1-800 number should be in the manual, or on the h-link website.
Old 11-09-2004, 12:03 AM
6 speed yo!

so any other help??
Old 12-30-2004, 09:52 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by sovadia
The rolling code requires 3 steps:

1) Clear memory by holding both side buttons until light blinks fast

2) Train the button with the REMOTE by pressing the Homelink button and the remote button simultaneously until the blinking changes (I cant remember if it goes from slow to fast or fast to slow)

3) Finish training the button by pressing the Train button the ACTUAL OPENER MOTOR and then (within 30 seconds) hold the Homelink button for 3-4 seconds until the blinking changes. Let go of the button and hold it for 3-4 seconds again. let go and do it one more time.

You should be all set!
I just finished training my homelink with a rolling code using these steps. I tried several times using the instruction that were in the manual but it was no use.

I had my car in the garage, the key to the acces position. I cleared the codes by holding down the two outer buttons.

I programmed the homelink button using the remote then immediately pressed the learn button the garage opener then pressed the same button on the homelink. The light flashed on my opener. You have to hold the homelink button down slightly longer than you would with the remote but I got it to work.

Let me know if that's not clear enough.
Old 12-30-2004, 10:02 AM
I kAnt Spel guD

We had to do the same as RadYOacTVe, we had to train the homelink to the remote and the training button on the opener itself.

I found that large amounts of swearing at the wife and throwing the remote in the yard from the POS Genie helped the process go much smoother.

I hate my Genie garage door openter made in Alliance, Ohio more then any garage product ever...it is without a doubt the largest POS ever. It likes to sometimes work...been like this since day one...even after Genie mailed me several boards to install and a new keypad and remote.

But more on topic...we had to do a combo learning ad hock thing to train the genie.
Old 12-30-2004, 10:28 AM
cmf
ATCer

Just got mine to work the other day finally, after having the car almost a year. Turns out that Acuras steps were a bit off from the manufacturers. Steps were a bit different, and one BIG thing.......... A button attached to the garage door motor itself needed to be pushed once.
Old 12-30-2004, 10:53 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
The instructions for programming garage door openers with rolling codes are confusing, but the steps break down very simply.

1) Train the homelink button in the car. Do this by:
a. Clear the homelink button in the car by holding the far left and far right buttons
b. Using the actual garage door opener remote control, program whichever homelink button in the car you want to use (aim the remote at the homelink button, push both the remote and homelink button until the homelink button flashes).

2) Sync the homelink button in the car to the rolling code of the garage door opener CPU:
a. Find the CPU to the garage door opener (should be all integrated in the overhead mechanism where the motor and the lights are).
b. Find the programming button on the CPU (should be a button with an LED right next to it). I had to remove the plastic light cover to find the button on my unit.
c. Push the button. The LED will now be lit. You have 30 seconds to complete the next step.
d. Go back into your car (make sure the car is fully inside the garage door so the door doesn't close on your car). Push and HOLD the homelink button in the car that you already trained in step 1. HOLD the button until you see the light flash rapidly (should be about 3 or 4 seconds). Let go of the button and immediately push and HOLD it again until you see the light rapidly flash. You may have to repeat this step (pushing, holding, and letting go of the homelink button in the car) for about 3 or 4 times.
e. Once the homelink button is synced to the CPU's rolling code, the garage door will either open or close when you push the homelink button again. When this happens, you are done with your programming.

Another thing to consider - depending on your garage door opener, it may only allow a certain number of remotes or homelink buttons to work. For instance, mine only allows me to program up to 4 devices. So, when I programmed the 5th device, the 1st device stopped working. Example:

I programmed:
1) TSX with homelink.
2) Honda Pilot w/ homelink.
3) Garage door opener A
4) Garage door opener B
5) Garage door opener C

When I programmed and synced items 1, 2, 3 and 4 to the garage door opener CPU, all four of them worked. However, when I programmed and synced Garage door opener C, my TSX homelink became disabled, because the garage door opener CPU would only allow no more than 4 devices to be synced to it. This is fixed by simply re-syncing the TSX homelink to the CPU.
Old 12-30-2004, 11:58 AM
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
When I first got my TSX I set out to program it with my Geenie opener. I tried numerous times to program the left button but I could not get it to work. In frustration and desperation I tried the center button and got it working on the first try. I don't know why the left button didn't work but I only have one opener so using the center button is no big deal. If you have difficulty you may want to try a different button.Just my .
Old 12-30-2004, 02:00 PM
A Commuter

One question~ what happens if you lose the garage door opener?
Old 12-30-2004, 02:10 PM
Go Giants

Received 1,231 Likes on 821 Posts
Originally Posted by nahooneyya
One question~ what happens if you lose the garage door opener?
Buy a replacement.
Old 12-30-2004, 02:21 PM
A Commuter

Originally Posted by wsklar
Buy a replacement.

so there is no way to set up the link without?
Old 12-30-2004, 02:24 PM
Go Giants

Received 1,231 Likes on 821 Posts
Originally Posted by nahooneyya
so there is no way to set up the link without?
Dont think so, you need one to transfer the signal to.
Old 01-04-2005, 05:58 PM
VV "Precision Crafted" VV

This is the exact steps you should take and tell me if this works:

1) Clear the memory of your home link button by holding it down for a period of 30 seconds. It should start flashing letting you know it is clear.

2) Take your garage remote. In your car, hold it in front of the home link button then press and hold down the garage door button and the home link button at the same time until the home link button starts to flash then let go. This will record the memory of the garage door opener. But since you have a rolling code, you are not done yet.

3) Go to your garage door opener and press the training button. It should begin flashing and you now have 30 seconds to program your home link. While the training button is flashing go to your home link button. Press and hold for 2 seconds and let go. Then press and hold again for another 2 seconds and let go. Press and hold again for another 2 seconds and let go. The home link shoud be programmed after your second or third attempts.

Quick Reply: homelink problem