HOLY @#%$@q#$% BAD CLUTCH?!!!?!

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2004, 07:30 AM
My bolonga has a 1st name

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
HOLY @#%$@q#$% BAD CLUTCH?!!!?!

Okay; I've had my car for about 6 months now (check sig) About a month ago the damn thing starts grinding; just when putting the car in 1st or in Reverse (not in any other gear) and it only does this only once in a while. Took it to the dealership today they said that its probably the clutch but they'll look at it... and if it is the clutch then its NOT covered under warranty and I'm out nearly 1 grand to replace. I DONT FUCKING THINK SO. This is NOT my first stick and I'VE NEVER heard of a clutch going in 6 months. IS there NO such thing as DEFECTIVE CLUTCH??? Can anyone comment on this for me please?

Sorry I'm venting like a mother fucker because I know i didn't burn up a clutch in 6 months; I CAN DRIVE STICK. but now they're telling me that well tahts what i did and its not covered. FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK!!!!
Old 02-13-2004, 07:44 AM
Yeah..

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Get the number of your Acura regional rep. Call him for sure.
Old 02-13-2004, 07:50 AM

How would I get that number?
Old 02-13-2004, 07:52 AM

they said this before looking at it. but he said he was almost sure thats what it is. I'm SO FUCKING MAD right now. I was set to have my stereo installed tomorrow; but if I've gotta pay this to get it done not only can i not afford to put the stero IN; but i've gotta sell all my components back on e-bay. I'M JUST GRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!
Old 02-13-2004, 08:00 AM
Obnoxious Philadelphian

That's BS - your clutch should not be going in <1 year. Defective part and they should replace it and you should push them HARD to do so. Definitely contact Acura and bitch to them also.
Old 02-13-2004, 09:43 AM

i want to push and bitch. But i mean what can i do; i'm telling them they need to do it that its not right. they're saying yea okay but acura wont pay for it cuz its not a warrantied repair. So what the heck do i do? Any/all help greatly apprecaited.

If someone can hook me up with a number to start complaining on then im game but I simply do not have that kinda money to go and spend on a clutch for a car that I JUST PAID OFF FOR.

Once again any/all help greatly appreciated.

I think ist my fault for taking it to Fountain Acura here in orlando. They are such fucking pricks. I should have taken it to courtesy where I bought it. (I dont know if that woulda made any kinda difference)
Old 02-13-2004, 09:57 AM

Originally posted by 97AcuraCL
...I think ist my fault for taking it to Fountain Acura here in orlando. They are such fucking pricks. I should have taken it to courtesy where I bought it. (I dont know if that woulda made any kinda difference)
shiet man, sorry to hear...i got my TSX from courtesty too...my center console lights went out this morning so i have an appt to get it checked next week...they better fix that under warranty and not blame my mods!!! it shouldnt matter where u got the acura from but the tranny has been a known problem, some other ppl on here have reported the same problem...they should fix it under warranty...
Old 02-13-2004, 10:22 AM

Originally posted by dabuda2004
shiet man, sorry to hear...i got my TSX from courtesty too...my center console lights went out this morning so i have an appt to get it checked next week...they better fix that under warranty and not blame my mods!!! it shouldnt matter where u got the acura from but the tranny has been a known problem, some other ppl on here have reported the same problem...they should fix it under warranty...
yea you're right... but fountain i tell ya if i could go in there and beat everyone of them over the head with a baseball bat and not get prosecuted i would. I still remember when they were gonna give me 2 grand for the CL. I just walked out on his ass... didn't say shit.

In any case do you have any links to threads about this tranny problem? Cuz i'm on the board frequently and I haven't seen any (i dont think) I'm gonna run a search right now though.

God I tell you i'm so furious; i'm just waiting for them to call back and confirm that thats the problem; and taht they wont cover it... guys watch the news u never know u might see pics of me in there with a rather large baseball bat.
Old 02-13-2004, 10:26 AM

...In any case do you have any links to threads about this tranny problem? Cuz i'm on the board frequently and I haven't seen any (i dont think) I'm gonna run a search right now though....
just some threads...but you get the idea...good luck and let us know what happens!

http://www.acura-tsx.com/forums/show...ghlight=tranny
Old 02-13-2004, 01:08 PM
Yeah..

97AcuraCL, this is Acura's client services number (800) 382-2238. Ask them who at Acura could you speak to.
Old 02-13-2004, 01:24 PM
fdl
Senior Moderator

The amount of time you have had the car is really irrelevant., so dont persue the matter from that standpoint. Whats more important is how many miles you have on it, and of course how hard you drove the car.
Old 02-13-2004, 01:52 PM
wiz
Pro

I still don't see how you could burn up a clutch this quickly unless you are really driving the car hard. I drive my car hard sometimes, but definitely not all the time. 20k+ miles now and I'm still going strong on the clutch.
Old 02-13-2004, 08:58 PM
The Voice of Reason

From what you're describing it sounds like the clutch is not completely disengaging, which could be either the slave cylinder or the pilot bearing. How could your driving possibly have anything to do with that?

I currently have 135,000 miles on my Volvo T5's original clutch and that car has nearly 20% more horses than the Acura. I'd go completely ballistic if this happend to me.
Old 02-13-2004, 09:02 PM
Yeah..

werd..
Old 02-13-2004, 10:24 PM
Intermediate

CL..........Grinding when going into gear doesn't really mean the clutch is out just like Shiftright has said. Hopefully it's the slave cylinder but eevn then it's sooooooooooooo soon for any of that stuff to be giving out. I haven't gotten a TSX yet but all of these things are really beginning to make me a bit wary.Maybe i should hang on to my RSX......no problems so far.
Old 02-13-2004, 11:23 PM

Well they got back to me today. They said that the master cylinder (wtver that is) is the problem and that its what caused the clutch to wear so quickly. So they said they'd get a new master cylinder in there under warranty; but they will not replace the clutch even though the damage was due to the cylinder. they said the car will run fine and the clutch has enough life in it to be okay for a while; but its obvious that there is excessive wear on it due to teh cylinder.

Anyone want to clarify this for me? Should i push to have them replace the clutch as well?

~Kevin.
Old 02-13-2004, 11:25 PM

PS, sorry about the 2nd thread fdl.

and thanx guys for the help thus far.
Old 02-14-2004, 09:00 AM
The Voice of Reason

Well they got back to me today. They said that the master cylinder (wtver that is) is the problem and that its what caused the clutch to wear so quickly. So they said they'd get a new master cylinder in there under warranty; but they will not replace the clutch even though the damage was due to the cylinder. they said the car will run fine and the clutch has enough life in it to be okay for a while; but its obvious that there is excessive wear on it due to teh cylinder.

Anyone want to clarify this for me? Should i push to have them replace the clutch as well?

~Kevin.
One of the the Volvo board regulars had his clutch slave cylinder go out and they replaced clutch, slave, everything. However, in the case of the clutch master cylinder they probably replaced it without the drama of removing engine, transmission, everything, since ithe clutch master is the one that the clutch pedal directly actuates. The slave cylinder may be external or internal to the clutch assembly, on my Volvo it's internal but on the Porsche it's external, so it's not such a big deal to replace it.

(According to the Official TSX Shop Manual the TSX clutch replacement is not a job for the meek.)

I think just replacing the master cylinder is reasonable but I'd press to get something in writing from the Acura zone rep that they'll warrant against premature failure of the clutch disc, say to 100k miles. It might even be worth paying for a certified letter to Honda from your friendly family lawyer.

I haven't purchased the Acura extended warranty (yet) because the only things that I'm really worried about are the things they specifically exclude, like the clutch, or try to weasel out of, like the gearbox.
Old 02-15-2004, 12:22 AM
Burning Brakes

It's way too soon for the clutch to go out. Two of my previous Accords hit over 200,000 will the original clutch. The most recent Accord has 112,000 miles and it too has the original clutch.
Old 02-15-2004, 12:57 AM

I agree... but be that as it may... they wont cover. any further advice?
Old 02-15-2004, 06:36 AM
The Voice of Reason

I agree... but be that as it may... they wont cover. any further advice?
Besides contacting one of your state's "lemon law" attorneys? (Try a web search.)

Instead of buying the Acura Care extended warranty, right now I'm just thinking of just setting the money aside for a new clutch. Also, we stopped by the Toyota dealer to look at some possible cars for my kid. I haven't had any problems with my TSX yet. But this is more than just a little disturbing. Not because of a clutch master cylinder failing, stuff happens. Rather, it's the pattern of Honda's reseaction to problems. It doesn't seem to be any more responsive than, say, Ford.
Old 02-15-2004, 05:03 PM
6MT Snob

Thats bullshit, I had a bad slave cyl on my 99 trans am back in the day and it toasted the clutch and they replaced the whole thing. I would bring the BBB into it.
Old 02-16-2004, 05:21 PM
Burning Brakes

what sh!tty customer service.... they admit their defective part cause the damage/rapid wear and still refuse to replace it..how cheap can they get? no customer service at all...
Old 02-17-2004, 11:22 AM
Three Wheelin'

i would be more worried about excessive wear on your transmission than on your clutch plate. I can't imagine the clutch plate suffered that much, if at all. Plus you seemed to brought the problem to the dealer's attention as soon as it happened. So again, I don't think anything else suffered... IMO.
Old 02-17-2004, 11:57 AM
Obnoxious Philadelphian

This is distressingly poor customer service.
Old 02-18-2004, 11:35 AM

tell me about it;they put the new cylinder in there and they said that the car is still doing it. they ordered soemthing else thats supposed to come in today (idontknwo what) to see if THAT fixes the problem... so i'm expecting to hear from them today.
Old 02-18-2004, 12:20 PM
Obnoxious Philadelphian

And what did your lawyer say?
Old 02-18-2004, 09:48 PM
idx
Senior Grasshopper

I think ist my fault for taking it to Fountain Acura here in orlando. They are such fucking pricks. I should have taken it to courtesy where I bought it. (I dont know if that woulda made any kinda difference)
I'd agree with that. When I was buying in August, they weren't really offering any great deals and not showing any effort on finding the color/nav/tran combo I wanted. After telling them I wasn't interested and had taken my business elsewhere, they were a bunch of pricks.

I'd keep pushing. Replacing the master part that caused the clutch to go is one thing, but not replacing your [now] half eff'ed up clutch is BS.

-r
Old 02-18-2004, 11:37 PM

Well after installing whatever part they put in today they found taht to not be the problem again... so they have told me that they're going to go ahead and replace the clutch under warranty as well as the master cylinder and two other parts... my mother spoke to them so i'm nto exctly sure what the other 2 were... they had to order soemthing else so supposedly the car will be done on friday. we'll see.