Holes from the Front License Plate?

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2003, 05:10 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Holes from the Front License Plate?

I know that many years ago, that Acura sold an accessory item that plugged up those holes that are made by the front license plate. I know that it is illegal to not have a front license plate, but the car looks so DAMN good without the plates.

Does Acura still carry those color-matched plugs? I know on my 94' Legend that Acura did indeed carry them at the time (I don't even know what they are called). But has regulatory laws prevent them from selling the plugs, because missing front plates are illegal?

Any thoughts?
Old 09-05-2003, 05:22 PM
such a dirty birdy

I ranted on a similar issue a week or so ago - needlessly as it turned out. Seems that the TSX front plate holder attaches with clips to the grill/vent and doesn't require any holes in the bumper.

Front plates are not a requirement everywhere, it varies by state/province. Where I live (Alberta) front plates aren't even issued any more. Exception being personalized plates, you get two, but you aren't required to use them both.
Old 09-05-2003, 05:26 PM
Racer

there should definatly NOT be any holes in the front bumper. the dealer mounts the plates inside the grille.
Old 09-05-2003, 05:30 PM
Instructor

Naptown reporting....

TSX has front plate holders that clip onto the underside of the grill. I just took mine off since we don't need front plates here in Indy.

There are no holes from it on the front fascia.

I did find it difficult to take off because there was very little area to manuever around in there to get to the two bolts holding it onto the underside. It is a hard plastic piece that's connected so the paint isn't scratched.

Naptown out.
Old 09-05-2003, 05:38 PM
Advanced

Great to know! Thanks guys!

In some of the members pics it looked as though the front plates were mounted with screws.

Here is a link from one of our member's ride that I noticed this on.

http://www.stevestr.org/pics/TSXBaby...s/upclose.html

Just thought I'd ask...thanks for the input.

-Spencer
Old 09-05-2003, 05:52 PM
Still here

As an FYi, there is a thrid screw hole that the dealer can use. That one goes straight into your bumper.
Old 09-05-2003, 06:47 PM
Racer

Originally posted by e_lectro
As an FYi, there is a thrid screw hole that the dealer can use. That one goes straight into your bumper.
gawd, "that one goes straight into your bumper"..... when i read that, i was thinking about stabing a steak into a vanpaire. I for one could not do that to my tsx.
Old 09-05-2003, 06:51 PM
Racer

Originally posted by e_lectro

My dealer drilled the third hole. It can't be seen though.
Old 09-05-2003, 08:07 PM
Still here

I pulled my front bracket off, thankfully the hole was small and very hard to see on the black. My girlfriends RS was not so lucky, they used a huge bolt to mount hers... damn Illinois front plate laws.
Old 09-05-2003, 08:15 PM
Obnoxious Philadelphian

I just had to put my front plate on today. There is a bracket that mounts into two holes that are part of the front fascia, but hidden from obvious view. The bracket comes with 2 metal clips that screws go into, and there is a third that screws directly into the bumper. I didn't put that one in. It's a pretty flimsy rig - one could break it off easily with a good kick - but I think it's made that way for the benefit of you lucky folks without front plates!
Old 09-06-2003, 12:39 PM
Racer

Originally posted by jcg878
I just had to put my front plate on today. There is a bracket that mounts into two holes that are part of the front fascia, but hidden from obvious view. The bracket comes with 2 metal clips that screws go into, and there is a third that screws directly into the bumper. I didn't put that one in. It's a pretty flimsy rig - one could break it off easily with a good kick - but I think it's made that way for the benefit of you lucky folks without front plates!

You might want to put that third screw in. I found that without it my plate rattles/rubbing against the paint. It's a lot worse if there if dirt/etc between the holder and bumper.
Old 09-06-2003, 02:25 PM
Obnoxious Philadelphian

Originally posted by ssm_tsx
You might want to put that third screw in. I found that without it my plate rattles/rubbing against the paint. It's a lot worse if there if dirt/etc between the holder and bumper.
Say it isn't true??

Oh well, I guess nobody will ever notice if I move away and remove the plate. Thanks for the advice.
Old 09-07-2003, 01:17 AM
Instructor

Naptown reporting....

What kind of front plate holder do you have? Mine seems to be a Honda one, maybe yours is different?

There's about a quarter inch gap between the back of the plate/holder and the front fascia on mine.

There are two bolts that screw the plate firmly onto the holder, but the back of those bolts are encased in the plate holder so you reall can't scratch the paint that way.

I don't know if mine's different, but mine held up pretty well, but thankfully we don't need front plates here in Indy, so I took mine off.

Naptown out.
Old 09-08-2003, 05:52 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Instead of the third screw, just by some automotive double-sided tape. They sell it at just about any automotive store. It is usually grey or black and if your bumper is clean at the time you put this on, trust me, your licenseplate will not move. They use this on emblems as well.