Hit a pothole, warranty question

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2007, 08:18 AM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hit a pothole, warranty question

I let my brother drive my 07 TSX AT w/ nav yesterday. We hit a decent size pothole at around 55mph on our way to Manhatten. I didn't think anything of it at that time, but on the drive back to VA I felt like the car had a slight pull to the left. On the way to work this morning, left turns on the steering wheel feel less rigid than on right turns. I'm pretty upset (mostly at my brother) and I know it will distract from the fun of driving unless I get it fixed asap.

My question is, the car is only a few weeks old. How should I go about getting this checked out?

- Go to an Acura dealer? If so, say I hit a pothole or just say the "wheel alignment is off" Is this covered under warranty?

- Go to NTB or a speciality place to get wheel alignment/rotate tires?
Old 01-08-2007, 08:54 AM
PJS
Burning Brakes

Hardly a fault of the car's that you/he didn't see the pothole, is it?
Maybe it's time to use the US's favourite action - lawsuit!
Whomever is responsible for the roads wherever this occurred, then you need to file a claim against them for not properly maintaining them. Make sure you've a photograph of the hole and measurement of depth at the least.
Old 01-08-2007, 08:58 AM
Cruisin'

Thanks for the jackass reply. I'm just asking if it is covered under the warranty or if I have to pay out of pocket. I don't have the warranty readily available right now to make a reference.
Old 01-08-2007, 09:10 AM
Off roading in his

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by TaekwonV
I let my brother drive my 07 TSX AT w/ nav yesterday. We hit a decent size pothole at around 55mph on our way to Manhatten. I didn't think anything of it at that time, but on the drive back to VA I felt like the car had a slight pull to the left. On the way to work this morning, left turns on the steering wheel feel less rigid than on right turns. I'm pretty upset (mostly at my brother) and I know it will distract from the fun of driving unless I get it fixed asap.

My question is, the car is only a few weeks old. How should I go about getting this checked out?

- Go to an Acura dealer? If so, say I hit a pothole or just say the "wheel alignment is off" Is this covered under warranty?

Potholes are not covered by warranty. Back when I had my scion, I managed to pop a tire and bend a rim because of a pothole. I bought a replacement online, took pictures of the pothole and filed a claim with the city. They asked for copies of receipts, and sent me a check for the full amount. Now, you may want to take it to a mechanic, for them to see if anything is damaged, and then file the claim for all the damages.
Old 01-08-2007, 09:39 AM
Advanced

You are assuming the pothole caused alignment problem but you don't really know that for sure. I would just tell the dealer the car is pulling to the left and ask them to take a look. If it is indeed alignment problem they will most likely realign it for free since the car is so new.
Old 01-08-2007, 11:11 AM
mmmmmm....

Received 95 Likes on 81 Posts
Why would Acura would cover something that you done to your car? just take it to local shop to check it out.
Old 01-08-2007, 11:46 AM
Registered Car Nut

Originally Posted by sidssp
You are assuming the pothole caused alignment problem but you don't really know that for sure. I would just tell the dealer the car is pulling to the left and ask them to take a look. If it is indeed alignment problem they will most likely realign it for free since the car is so new.
Just go and have the alignment checked out... don't mention the pothole and see what they do...

...and don't let your brother (or anyone) touch your car ever again!
Old 01-08-2007, 12:20 PM
Because Of You

If you don't mind the paper work, you can file a claim with the city. They will send you a check... eventually.
Old 01-08-2007, 12:34 PM
Safety Car

Received 148 Likes on 99 Posts

Did you get the wheel/tire protection package with the purchase of the car? If so it will cover a replacement tire and wheel, stock or aftermarket even if it was your fault.
Old 01-08-2007, 01:21 PM
built for speed

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You're calling the second poster a jackass. That's ludicrous! Your brother hit the pothole, hardly a defect of the car. Why should the warranty cover it. Stop looking for help when you don't deserve it, it breaks the system. Just my 2 cents.
Old 01-08-2007, 01:46 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Jackass replies aside, alignments are a consumable item, and aren't offered free from the dealership, in my experience.

However, many places (I think NTB does this) will give you a free alignment 'check', which is a readout from their alignment computer, and then try to sell you alignment services and everything else under the sun. You can use it to judge how far out of spec your car is and whether you want to pay to have it done.
Old 01-08-2007, 02:01 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 90 Likes on 75 Posts

If it were me, I would just take the car to the dealer and tell them is pulls to the left. Let them found out what the problem is. Don't feel bad about it either. Radley Acura damaged my bumper and if I had not seen it before I left the lot, guess what? Needless to say, I made them give a a brand new bumper.
Old 01-08-2007, 02:03 PM
Team Owner

Received 105 Likes on 69 Posts
A fault of your brother causing your car to have an alignment problem is not a factory defect.

No it won't be covered under warranty.
Old 01-08-2007, 03:26 PM
Racer

just to clear something up. Alignment is free up to 12k miles it's in the manual. Pull to the left is normal. I have the same pull and alignment will not fix it as I already had 2 of them done. TSX has sensitive steering and now you are more sensitive to the steering because you feel like it wasn't there before you hit the pothole. The "feel" you have will go away after you drive the car for a few months. Enjoy!

Owned 06 for almost 3 month.
Old 01-08-2007, 03:32 PM
Registered Car Nut

My TSX doesn't pull to either side... i don't think that would be normal.

However, depending on the crowning of the road, the car could pull to either side. Passing lane (where I normally am) results in an impression the car is slightly pulling left. however, if I go in the slow lane, the car slightly pulls to the right.
Old 01-08-2007, 04:43 PM
PJS
Burning Brakes

Exclamation

Thanks for the jackass reply. I'm just asking if it is covered under the warranty or if I have to pay out of pocket. I don't have the warranty readily available right now to make a reference.
I'm sorry, did I misread your thread title incorrectly?
Your brother hits an obstacle in the road (could've been a dead badger) and you ask if driver error is covered by warranty?
What planet did you come down from recently?
Maybe it's your brother you should be calling a jackass for not paying attention to the road, or driving too fast for the distance he could see in front.
If the pothole was indeed unavoidable, then as I've already pointed out, you need to take photos of the defect, and report this to the highways agency or whatever dept. of the city is responsible for maintaining the roads.
Should I repeat that once more for it to sink into your skull, or have you got the message by now!

2 further points I should make:
1) It takes a jackass to know one, and
2) Ask a jackass question, get a jackass answer.

Over to you dumb and dumber!

Oh, and on the issue of hoodwinking the dealer into believing the car magically developed a problem - that's something you'll have to clear with your conscious, since you're the one going to have to live with the deceit.
Old 01-08-2007, 07:01 PM
Advanced

check your warranty book. they cover wheel balancing and align,ent for 1 year or 12,000 miles. granted, it was your fault, but they covered it for me twice with no questions asked.

also, alot of tsxs have alignment problems anyways, so they will think its that.
Old 01-08-2007, 08:04 PM
Racer

Yikes. It's worth a try to take it to the dealer and play stupid. Don't have any qualms about this either. After all, the pull might not have been due to the pothole. Good luck!
Old 01-08-2007, 10:37 PM
mmmmmm....

Received 95 Likes on 81 Posts
Originally Posted by jswim99
Yikes. It's worth a try to take it to the dealer and play stupid. Don't have any qualms about this either. After all, the pull might not have been due to the pothole. Good luck!
no, its not worth playing stupid...I wont even call that a playing stupid.
Old 01-09-2007, 03:59 PM
Cruisin'

Do I have to bring my car to the same dealer I bought it at, for them to honor my warranty? (Bought it in NY, live in VA)
Regardless, thanks for the replies guys. You've been very helpful. I'm bringing it into an Acura dealer Friday, we'll see what happens.

To the first reply, I didn't know you were being serious. It sounded sarcastic to me and a little far fetched. I was having a bad day at the time of my post, sorry about the jackass comment.

Later.
Old 01-09-2007, 04:27 PM
PJS
Burning Brakes

No, any dealer can apply for warranty repair remuneration or go-ahead from Acura.

Hey, we all have off days - no biggy. No harm no foul as you'd say.
I was being facetious when I suggested you sue the city for any expenses you incur due to their failure to maintain the road surface to an acceptable standard.
After all, it's become a national pasttime.
In fact, if frivolous lawsuits ceased tomorrow, there'd be an awful lot of jobless lawyers, and companies with bigger profit forecasts!
Old 04-03-2007, 08:45 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by dwest1023
If it were me, I would just take the car to the dealer and tell them is pulls to the left. Let them found out what the problem is. Don't feel bad about it either. Radley Acura damaged my bumper and if I had not seen it before I left the lot, guess what? Needless to say, I made them give a a brand new bumper.
hi... i bought my car at radley last year. good service so far. how did they damage the bumper? were you in for an oil change? i've been in 2 times (oil change and tire rotation).

do you go to the one in columbia pike?
Old 04-04-2007, 07:33 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 90 Likes on 75 Posts
Originally Posted by TSeXy_Grl
hi... i bought my car at radley last year. good service so far. how did they damage the bumper? were you in for an oil change? i've been in 2 times (oil change and tire rotation).

do you go to the one in columbia pike?

Yes I go to the one on Columbia pike. I was there for an oil change. I will no longer be going there. I will just bring my own oil and filter and go to jiffy lube where I can stand there and watch my car. This is the only way I will not get scratches. Whatever you do, do not let them wash your car. They wash with sandpaper. If you do not believe me look at the cars on the lot they have washed. They ALL will have swirl marks in the paint. I never let them touch my car with anything!
Old 04-04-2007, 07:42 PM
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If you read the fine print on the wheel/tire warranty- it covers defects in the making of the wheel. I tried to use my warranty on a curb rash, and the dealer said it only covers the wheel if it breaks, cracks, etc ( workmanship). That part of the warranty was skipped over by the salesman. Search and you will find how many of us were duped into buying the wheel warranty.
Old 04-06-2007, 11:08 PM
Instructor

Yea a guy on my old prelude forum hit a manhole in his lowered 3rd get at about 40 and cracked his tranny. The manhole was stickin a good 3-4 inches off of the ground, he filed something with the city and got his money. Make sure you take pics with a ruler or some measuring tape, measuring the depth of the pothole.