hids a safety issue

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2006, 02:45 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hids a safety issue

ok, i might be a little to paranoid with this, but those hids on the tsxs although are great for us, blind the crap out of everyone else. i had a tsx behind me the other night, and they were annoying the hell out me driving in front of the person. they kept flashing superbright. this is after my 15% tint all around and the dimming rv mirror. im really concerned about what it does to people driving opposite directions on a 1 lane highway. ive experienced road rage with people already who ive pissed off on the road. dont get me wrong, i do love them, just wish there was a way to lower the intensity of them on some roads in consideration of other drivers.
Old 01-02-2006, 03:39 PM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
The problem is not the HIDs, the problem is the projector setup. All projectors that I have seen have this problem because they have a very distinct cut-off. Even the projectors on my family's MDX have this problem and they are not HID.

As project headlight setups become more popular, this will become less of a problem because people will begin to adjust. At the same time, as HIDs become more popular, people will adapt to the color and stop staring at them and blinding themselves at night. I think it's all just a matter of familiarity is all.
Old 01-02-2006, 04:00 PM
2010 TL SH-AWD

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
If you park in front of the wall with the headlights on you'll see that the left side of the cutoff line is lower so it wont blind others oncoming. The higher line is for you to see the signs. As long as they are straight from the factory without you altering it in anyway, your fine.
I have retro a bmw hid projector in my TL and it is aimed way low. But somehow country people here where I live are not used to HID's and would flash thier high beam at me . To me , they are not even as bright as some redneck trucks that are 5ft off the ground and thier headlights beams are right at your face.
Old 01-02-2006, 04:03 PM
ABP TSX

Originally Posted by S power
To me , they are not even as bright as some redneck trucks that are 5ft off the ground and thier headlights beams are right at your face.
Old 01-02-2006, 04:58 PM
Swinger, just ask Lindy

Originally Posted by S power
To me , they are not even as bright as some redneck trucks that are 5ft off the ground and thier headlights beams are right at your face.
Don't get me started on the idiots here.
There's a new F250 here that's been jacked up so fricken high that it would submerge a Suburban in a collision! People like that should be taken out and shot. If it's purely off-road, fine. But you don't take something like that onto a street.
Old 01-02-2006, 05:10 PM
Pro

Don't forget about the "burning the hair off the back of your head" effect when one of those big rig wanabes in behind you at a stop light. And you can bet your ass that if you were behind him doing the same thing to him he would simply turn on his aircraft landing lights he's installed to blind everyone behind him.
Old 01-02-2006, 05:46 PM
Instructor

HID's

[QUOTE=calgary_tsx]ok, i might be a little to paranoid with this, but those hids on the tsxs although are great for us, blind the crap out of everyone else.

I agree. Most of my driving is on two lane highways and often people driving in the opposite direction flash their H/Beams at me and some keep them on. So now I find myself hovering the H/beam switch ready to blast the next A-hole.
Old 01-02-2006, 06:10 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by swirlie
Don't get me started on the idiots here.
There's a new F250 here that's been jacked up so fricken high that it would submerge a Suburban in a collision! People like that should be taken out and shot. If it's purely off-road, fine. But you don't take something like that onto a street.
Yeah...try coming to Texas. They're everywhere! It's hayseed paradise! Thankfully we can at least get 35% tint. The rearview is a blessing.

Do you get the idiots with a polished crome bumper on the back of trucks in Canada? The bumper sits about 2+ feet off the ground so you can't avoid it. Try not going blind when you're stuck behind one of these morons at a drive-thru or light. Those should be illegal!
Old 01-02-2006, 06:11 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
[QUOTE=SPARKIE]
Originally Posted by calgary_tsx
ok, i might be a little to paranoid with this, but those hids on the tsxs although are great for us, blind the crap out of everyone else.

I agree. Most of my driving is on two lane highways and often people driving in the opposite direction flash their H/Beams at me and some keep them on. So now I find myself hovering the H/beam switch ready to blast the next A-hole.
I do that all the time. it was really funny, the other night, it was about 75 out, super nice and while I was driving this guy was comming up and started to flash me with this brights, I flashed back multiple times, and I just hearing him yelling to his wife that I blinded him. I couldn't help to laugh
Old 01-02-2006, 06:25 PM
TEMPLE OWLS Don't Sleep

[QUOTE=SPARKIE]
Originally Posted by calgary_tsx
ok, i might be a little to paranoid with this, but those hids on the tsxs although are great for us, blind the crap out of everyone else.

At least people will know what the difference between the TSX's Low and High beams are after that
Old 01-02-2006, 06:29 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by srenitynow
Do you get the idiots with a polished crome bumper on the back of trucks in Canada? The bumper sits about 2+ feet off the ground so you can't avoid it. Try not going blind when you're stuck behind one of these morons at a drive-thru or light. Those should be illegal!
Thanks for reminding me. I forgot to that to my rant.
Old 01-02-2006, 06:30 PM
Racer

lol....I love my headlights...
Old 01-02-2006, 07:15 PM
Pro

Ditto. I love them so much that they'll be a must have in any future car buys.
Old 01-02-2006, 07:50 PM
Racer

I wouldnt of bought the car if it didnt have HID lights.
Old 01-02-2006, 08:54 PM
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
People can flash me all they want. HID's are worth it.

When I drive a car without HID's, I always find myself looking at the botton to see if the lights are even on.
Old 01-02-2006, 11:55 PM
Instructor

yes all good points, dont feel guilty anymore. i just got home, and while on the road coincidentally i was ahead of a riced out RSX. This guy must have had the off-road hids (6000K+) put on his vehicle, his lights were totally purple, would flash blue over bumps, and lit up my entire interior even with my tints (all 15%). It was terrible, WTF was he thinking????
Old 01-03-2006, 12:15 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 165 Likes on 127 Posts
I dont really find HID's any more bothersome than other types of headlights,..........thats just me though. I like HID's so much,....I never want to drive another car that does not have them.
Old 01-03-2006, 01:23 AM
Swinger, just ask Lindy

Originally Posted by srenitynow
Yeah...try coming to Texas. They're everywhere! It's hayseed paradise! Thankfully we can at least get 35% tint. The rearview is a blessing.

I love my HIDs. The first time I drove my TSX at night, I was amazed at how defined the line was between HID and no-HID. So beautiful.

HIDs are fine. They don't bother much more than normal headlights. The headlights I find REALLY bad are the ones that have been aimed by hand or not aimed at all, especially when they're xenon conversions. Most of the time, the bad aiming ends up shining the lights to the left and up, directly into oncoming driver's eyes. High-beams would be a reprieve in those cases.
Old 01-03-2006, 09:20 AM
TEMPLE OWLS Don't Sleep

2004/2005 vs 2006 HIDs

Do the HIDs on the 2006 TSX differ from the ones Acura used in the 2004/2005 model years? I heard the 2006's lost their blueish tint. Is this true?
Old 01-03-2006, 09:39 AM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
Originally Posted by KunalPatel87
Do the HIDs on the 2006 TSX differ from the ones Acura used in the 2004/2005 model years? I heard the 2006's lost their blueish tint. Is this true?
:shakehead Nope...same HIDs
Old 01-03-2006, 12:52 PM
Got Ramen?

my friends tell me the tsx's hids are among some of the brightest oem lights around. and to me, they do seem a little blinding as compared to bmw's when one is driving opposite direction of me.

i've only beem flashed once here...but i guess where i live, being that it is an affluent area, most ppl are used to HIDs cuz we have a lot of nice cars being driven...

i wish acuras included auto-leveling on the HIDs a la BMW.
Old 01-03-2006, 10:29 PM
Intermediate

I get flashed every-so-often. But, yes, I flash them back... "you think they'er bright now, check this out..."

But I do wish that the hids didn't have that hard top line. It is hard to see some street name signs as you get close enough to read them - they cut off halfway up the post below the sign. You do get some light, but other cars I've had let more surrounding ambient light out that actually lit up more area up close.
Old 01-03-2006, 11:19 PM
She said: it's GINORMOUS!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i love the hids, and the auto dimming mirror.

thing's i'd never live without: navi, autodimm mirrors, hids
Old 01-03-2006, 11:33 PM
TSX4EVR

In my extensive 17 days owning my TSX I have not been flashed. I have not noticed any overly bright lights from any TSX and don't really find HID's on other vehicles much of a problem either. Perhaps the autodimmer on the mirrors of my vehicles.

I find the HID's very safe to drive with and consider them one of big safety items on the TSX. Deer are always a bif concern when driving on the roads outside the city and the wide scope of the HID light certainly helps in identifying wildlife on the edges of the road. (I once hit a bear, not a fun experience for my wife and I, for our vehicle and especially for the bear)

I give the HID;s and don't find them to a big issue for other drivers. My

Excited
Old 01-04-2006, 06:34 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 361 Likes on 316 Posts
H.I.D's...........gotta love'em
Old 01-04-2006, 07:24 AM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think exactly the same thing Jakesdad- I'll even leave them on a little longer when it is one of these people that thinks they're the headlight police and are flashing you from well beyond the distance from where it would affect them.

I now live in a rural area that gets pretty dark so I think that's part of the reason I get flashed so much- #1 being extra dark makes the lights seem that much brighter and #2 locals aren't used to HIDs because they don't drive cars that come with HIDs(although they'll put 4 million candlelight flood lights on for hunting and use thoe on the roads!) When I lived in San Diego, HIDs are a dime a dozen and street lights are everywhere so I rarely got flashed there at all.
Old 01-04-2006, 03:44 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by Still Water
Don't forget about the "burning the hair off the back of your head" effect when one of those big rig wanabes in behind you at a stop light. And you can bet your ass that if you were behind him doing the same thing to him he would simply turn on his aircraft landing lights he's installed to blind everyone behind him.
Don't laugh, but I did have aircraft landing lights installed as "driving lights" on the front of my CJ5 for several years. I only found out after one of the bulbs finally went, and I looked up the replacement.
Whenever I turned them on while offroading or way out in the sticks, my voltage would drop to about 9V because of the power drain. They also took about 6 seconds to warm up to full brightness...
Old 01-05-2006, 04:55 AM
Intermediate

yeah you guys have nicee looking hids. The way the cut off is formed you get that very nice purple/white flashing effect. I wish my bmw did that. But yeahh lets show those red necks what bi xenons can do
Old 01-05-2006, 09:50 AM
Racer

more props for HID's! love HID lights, and hate retina-burning SUV lights
Old 01-05-2006, 10:18 AM
Have camera, will travel

The HID cutoff on the TSX can be a bit distracting in situations where ambient light is low, country roads, etc, but I've come to love them. The incredible brightness and coverage is kind of addicting.

When I get back into my work van, the halogens on that vehicle seem yellow, dim and dingy by comparison.