HID bulb advice

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2016, 10:03 PM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HID bulb advice

Brand new to AcuraZine. Last night I noticed my drivers side headlight is pink. A co-worker and fellow Acura owner recommended this sight. After some quick searches it sounds like the bulb is going to go fairly soon so I need some help with purchasing a set of new bulbs. From some of the posts I browsed, it sounds like aftermarket (D2S?) is the way to go. I would appreciate opinions/recommendations on brands and sites where to purchase. From my limited reading here, some folks purchase for as cheap as $12.50 on Ebay to over $150 on other sites. I have a 2006 TSX with 98,000 miles and have plans to keep it a long time so would obviously like the bulbs to last.

Also have read that it is not necessary to remove the bumper to replace the bulbs, but there seems to be some debate on this. Can anyone provide a clear yes/no answer on this? Really hoping I don't have to go through all that just to replace two bulbs.

Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated. I need to get moving on this quick.

Thanks!!!!
Old 01-22-2016, 04:39 AM
kbh
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
I bought the eBay bulbs and they have been fine. You do not have to remove the bumper to replace the bulbs, but there is not a lot of room to work, especially on the passenger side where there are some hard lines in the way. You also need some security type Torx sockets as the Torx screws that anchor the bulb covers have the central security pin.
Old 01-30-2016, 01:10 AM
Advanced

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts
You do not need to remove the bumper on 04-08 TSX to change low beams (you do for fog lights unless you can work through the tiny gap in the splash shield). It seems that for 09+ it is more necessary due to room, though some say to go through fender liner.
You may need to remove a screw from the circular cap covering the hid bulb. I wouldn't put it back in. More of a dealer trying to get you to come to them type deal using uncommon security torx.

Msg your email, I'll send you the Service manual.