HFL: "Unit is not operational while OnStar is active"

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2006, 04:36 PM
Current '06 TSX Owner

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
HFL: "Unit is not operational while OnStar is active"

Tried searching for this but didn't see any matches...

I've had my 2006 TSX with Navi since last April. Last Sunday, after my car was sitting in the parking lot for about an hour, the Navi system asked for the password upon ignition startup. As far as I was aware, the battery wasn't disconnected in the hour that I was gone, so I was surprised that it asked me for the password to begin with.

After entering the password and hitting the usual "OK" to get past the disclaimer screen, I tried to use HandsFreeLink to make a phone call (my phone had Bluetooth enabled at the time; it pairs automatically).

Pressing the HFL "talk" button on the steering wheel did not result in the usual "beep" followed by the HFL prompt in the MID. Instead, it resulted in the following message on the Navi screen:

"Unit is not operational while OnStar is active."

The message went away after a few seconds. I canceled HFL by pressing the "hang up" button on the steering wheel and tried to make a handsfree call again several more times, but got the same results.

Also, going to any Navi destination or address book entry with a listed phone number had the "Call" button being grayed out even though my phone's BT was active.

I had to turn off the ignition, physically take out the key, re-insert it and start the car again before things were back to normal.

This episode hasn't happened since then, but I thought it was pretty weird. It's almost like the software used in the RL (which has OnStar) is carried over into the TSX and some type of glitch happened.

Has anyone else had this experience?
Old 06-20-2006, 08:20 PM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
First time I've ever heard of it, but it sounds like whatever caused the battery off condition is responsible for triggering the message.
Old 06-21-2006, 08:14 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I got my '06 TSX in March of this year, and I've had that happen twice so far. Not the password thing, but the message about Onstar. I can't remember how I got past the issue; I think just by cancelling the call and trying again a few minutes later. Very annoying and confusing. I, too, have my Bluetooth phone link automatically every time.
Old 06-21-2006, 05:28 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I got this message once too, right after disconnecting and reconnecting the battery, and then trying to make a phone call. I wasn't aware we had OnStar, which it distinctly capitalizes just like I did.

Old 06-22-2006, 12:01 AM
Let me help you!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
I've never seen this message, but I've had the password thing before (after only a month of ownership of my 06).

I know you can't use voice commands while using the HFL to talk to someone via bluetooth. I'd guess that the first time it powers up after a disconnect, it accesses the hardware HFL needs, so it fails...*shrugs*

I probably didn't see the message because I didn't try to quickly make a phone call afterwards...