help guys..my first ticket =(

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2006, 06:25 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
help guys..my first ticket =(

I was caught speeding at 50 in a 30mph zone...I didn't even know the zone change, nore did i realize i was actually going that fast. I guess thats a good thing for the car? But anyway...

I feel like crap about it cause im scared my insurance is going to rape me...I don't care about the fine that i have to pay..but im worried about the points. I know I can take def driving prog to get rid of it which i definately will. But is there a way to plea to the judge to reduce the fine or at least not have the points hit me? I don't know what to do from this point...even with the ticket..pay and send in? go to court?
Old 03-08-2006, 06:27 PM
Burning Brakes

oh..i wrote a letter that says how terribly sorry and regretful i am..asking for a reduction if that helps anybit?
Old 03-08-2006, 06:29 PM
Instructor

goto the court and then plea guilty...most likely they will take off 2 pts. good luck
Old 03-08-2006, 06:31 PM
Burning Brakes

does the cop have to be at court too? what the officer said was "im only writing you for 50, if i go to court, im gonna make it a 51 zone violation"...ugh...
Old 03-08-2006, 06:32 PM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
no driving school to remove the violation?
Old 03-08-2006, 06:36 PM
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
Ask for a ticket diversion to prosecuting atty either right before the court hearing or during. Expect to pay double fine + court costs. Only expect this special treatment providing this is your first offense on the driving record. Do your homework and find out if certain number of speed over the limit makes the ticket ineligble for diversion. Find out if your jurisdiction even offers such a program. Nuff said.
Old 03-08-2006, 06:36 PM
Burning Brakes

im going to take the def driving program to get rid of it if i can't any other way, i just feel so shitty cause of it, the only reason why i was speeding was because my engine sounded really f'ed up today and i wanted to see how it was sounding in highcam cause it never sounds like that....and the one day i go take it out...boom i get hit with a ticket..
Old 03-08-2006, 06:38 PM
Canuck

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm not sure about where yo ulive but in Ontario, the biggest misconception about tickets and insurance is that people think that if you get the points taken off the infraction, insurance won't do anything. WRONG. Even it you plead guilty to a lesser fine, you still pleading guilty rgeardless of $ or points and insurance will get you.
Old 03-08-2006, 06:38 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by acn684
does the cop have to be at court too? what the officer said was "im only writing you for 50, if i go to court, im gonna make it a 51 zone violation"...ugh...

thats BS. I guess u have never been to the court????? U deal with the prosecutor and he/ she will make u a deal before the judge and they are quite reasonable deals ...as I said before 2 points or forgiveness on the first violation.

I gota ticket in a 25 mph zone speeding over 22 miles..that is about 50 miles.

rule of thumb...easy on gas in the residential area.

hope this helps
Old 03-08-2006, 06:42 PM
Beauty is a curse...

Originally Posted by drkabe
goto the court and then plea guilty...most likely they will take off 2 pts. good luck

Never admit guilt. The judge is going to ask why the hell you are appealing a ticket, showing up to court, and admitting guilty.

What i think you mean is a PLEA BARGAIN. Ask the judge that its your first ticket, you're really sorry, blah blah, and plea bargain with them. Most places will jack up the ticket and get rid of the points.

they want your money.
Old 03-08-2006, 06:44 PM
Burning Brakes

wait, so the officer doesn't show?
Old 03-08-2006, 06:47 PM
Burning Brakes

im so confused, it says my court date is 3/28. I mean i know i speeded...so i don't know what i should do to avoid penalty.
Old 03-08-2006, 06:50 PM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
Originally Posted by narci
I'm not sure about where yo ulive but in Ontario, the biggest misconception about tickets and insurance is that people think that if you get the points taken off the infraction, insurance won't do anything. WRONG. Even it you plead guilty to a lesser fine, you still pleading guilty rgeardless of $ or points and insurance will get you.
I don't think your canuck rules apply to us

And in Cali, if you pay and take driving school, the insurance company never sees the ticket and never knows of its existence. Not sure about what the rules are in NY.
Old 03-08-2006, 07:58 PM
Beauty is a curse...

im so confused, it says my court date is 3/28. I mean i know i speeded...so i don't know what i should do to avoid penalty.

Show up to court looking properly dressed. They'll let you explain your fault. Tell them it was your first time and you want to plea bargain. You'll pay the fine or higher if the points get dropped.

In terms of the officer situation, it depends on the court. Some places will drop the ticket if he doesnt show up...some use his testimony in his place.
Old 03-08-2006, 07:59 PM
Undercover Slacker

Originally Posted by CGTSX2004
And in Cali, if you pay and take driving school, the insurance company never sees the ticket and never knows of its existence. Not sure about what the rules are in NY.
Yeah, I'm not sure about NY, but here in Cali... Pay the fine do the traffic school and insurance doesnt know any better.

First, find out if you can do what we do in Cali, see above. What I usually do is traffic school online, easy as cake and only takes like 2 hrs. Once I get the certificate of completion from the traffic school, send that and the fine payment in before the court date and the end. I don't have to take off work to go to court and no points on my record. I have done this to all my tickets so far (2), of course here the tickets have to be 18 months apart for you to traffic school them.
Old 03-08-2006, 08:05 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
There's not much more that can be done than what's already been said. Accept the plea bargain.

You knowingly admit that you speeded. Pay the fine and consider it a lesson learned.
Old 03-08-2006, 08:11 PM
Burning Brakes

no see...i don't care about the fine...theres 4 points to be added to my license...I'm just seeing if i can just pay a fine or a higher fine avoiding the points...Is there a way to go to the courts earlier and testify? I don't evne know where i'm suppose to go....
Old 03-08-2006, 08:31 PM
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
well 20over the limit is 4 points depends on the DA you might get it knocked out or dismissed. probaly get knocked down to failure to yeild or something.

You can not pay more then the amount. Just go to court and testify. They wont allow you to pay more, but now just go to court be respectful and make up a story. they will try to cut you a deal thats what they did with me
Old 03-08-2006, 08:37 PM
10th Gear

you got pulled over upstate near your school?... if you show up to the court on the date then they try to make you plead guilty, dont do it. either mail in not guilty or say not guilty... you go back on another date to speak to the copper/da. copper/da cuts you deal for non-moving violation and some chips, not points.

this happens on 90/87(don't know about bayside, never been pulled over on bqe,lie, grand, cross island...etc) most of the time... you will have to show up in bubblefck nowhere though.

80/65 violation is a bit over a buck so you need that money
Old 03-08-2006, 08:41 PM
Beauty is a curse...

Originally Posted by ComptechV6

You can not pay more then the amount.

not entirely true. My friend got pulled over for a speeding ticket. They knocked off the 2 points if he agreed to pay another 100 bucks.
Old 03-08-2006, 08:46 PM
Instructor

This trick that should work (new to board)

Howdy....I am an old timer (cut my teen teeth on 70 charger rt, 71 cuda ta, all the good old iron) (Just bought a 2006 TSX....) I have a suggestion for you....my brother in law has a lead foot and beau coup tickets to show for it........simply OVERPAY the ticket by about 5.00.
It will be officially shown as "pending"
He swears they do not show up on insurance as they are officially "pending, not resolved"

I have not had a ticket in years (good detector)......I plan on trying it when I get nailed zipping around town....really a fun little rocket. GLTA
Old 03-08-2006, 08:58 PM
Instructor

I always just go to court and haggle with the prosecutor. This gets me a reduced fine and the ticket gets deferred. As long as I don't get another one in 90 days it becomes dismissed and off the record. Insurance never knows.

May depend on locality though, I don't believe we operate on any points system around here.
Old 03-08-2006, 09:33 PM
My Garage

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
where were you pulled over, it makes a difference if out of state
Old 03-08-2006, 09:35 PM
CarbonGreyPearlEbony

Originally Posted by drkabe
This usually works when you dont have any traffic violations for like a year or so...
they reduce the fine and let you go with no points added..
Old 03-08-2006, 09:41 PM
CarbonGreyPearlEbony

Originally Posted by TSX420J
This usually works when you dont have any traffic violations for like a year or so...
they reduce the fine and let you go with no points added..
sorry forgot.. you got to send the ticket in and get a court date. then when you go plea "no contest"
Old 03-08-2006, 10:01 PM
Cruisin'

I know a little about this situation as I've had 5 speeding tickets. For the 5th, there was absolutly no possible way I could have insurance find out about otherwise my license would be gone. I got a lawyer that cost me $250 and didn't even have to show up at court, he did everything for me. He got it dropped down to a broken taillight fine. Instead of a $100 ticket, I had to pay $250 to the court. So it cost me $400 bucks more, but insurance has no idea.

If you sit down with a lawyer, they can tell you whether or not they feel anything can be done about the situation. It worked wonders for me, and now that my car is dead, I don't need to worry about tickets anymore!
Old 03-08-2006, 10:10 PM
Burning Brakes

I just realized something...The officer said

"if you bring this to the court, im gonna have that ticket ripped up and rewritten to 51+, I'm doing you a favor"

I mean, the only reason why im not going to court is cause of that. I'd go and plea that i had no idea i was speeding, my first time, unknown with zone, didn't have a limit posting before that, etc. But i just don't want to get into more crap than im already in.

Then technically, didn't the officer just threaten me then?

I think im gonna try to find some free para-legals, maybe go down to the county to see if they have any down there for me just to talk with. i wanna bring it to trial, at least to plea bargain, but im worried about the consequences even though i knwo there shouldn't be.
Old 03-08-2006, 10:34 PM
My Garage

"if you bring this to the court, im gonna have that ticket ripped up and rewritten to 51+, I'm doing you a favor"

I mean, the only reason why im not going to court is cause of that. I'd go and plea that i had no idea i was speeding, my first time, unknown with zone, didn't have a limit posting before that, etc. But i just don't want to get into more crap than im already in.

I think im gonna try to find some free para-legals, maybe go down to the county to see if they have any down there for me just to talk with. i wanna bring it to trial, at least to plea bargain, but im worried about the consequences even though i knwo there shouldn't be.
you're eather lying, or he is an idiot. He can't do that, its not entrapment but it's pretty close.
Old 03-08-2006, 10:36 PM
My Garage

Jesus, plus you have a copy of the ticket, he can't just rip your copy up unless you let him. A ticket is a legally served document, not just a piece of paper with the cops name on it. There are copies and records of it.
Old 03-08-2006, 10:37 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

If he ripped up the ticket which you have a copy of. Then write another one for 51+ which doesn't match the ticket # on yours. Doesn't the ticket require your signature for acknowledgement of the infraction? Does it mean you are off the hook base on technicality?
Old 03-08-2006, 10:38 PM
My Garage

Request a supporting deposition if the cop really said that
Old 03-08-2006, 10:40 PM
Instructor

Your best bet is to plead not guilty and pray he does not show up to court and then they will dismiss it. But at the same time you can speak to the judge and explain that you didnt know the speed limit had changed and then ask for a reduction. Believe it or not some cops choose not to show and sometimes even fight it. I think thats your best option. As far as your insurance believe it will go sky rocket. My cousin is 19 and he got a speeding ticket in NYC and his insurance went up $500 and he got the points deducted. You can then take a defensive driving course and they take off some points and 10% off your insurance. Getting caught for speeding is probably the worse infraction out there.

GOOD LUCK MAN
Old 03-08-2006, 10:45 PM
Burning Brakes

what the cop said was that "im cutting you a favor by writing 50 instead of 51, if you bring this to court, im gonna make sure you get a 51 ticket at court if you bring me there.

I'm pissed worried he'll do that...Right now im just thinking maybe i should go in there and tell them that i'm inclined not to go to court because of that.

I'll plea that its my first time and i didn't know that the speed limit changed. I'm heading back over there this weekend to check where the speed limit sign is.
Old 03-08-2006, 10:49 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by oldguytsxer
Howdy....I am an old timer (cut my teen teeth on 70 charger rt, 71 cuda ta, all the good old iron) (Just bought a 2006 TSX....) I have a suggestion for you....my brother in law has a lead foot and beau coup tickets to show for it........simply OVERPAY the ticket by about 5.00.
It will be officially shown as "pending"
He swears they do not show up on insurance as they are officially "pending, not resolved"

I have not had a ticket in years (good detector)......I plan on trying it when I get nailed zipping around town....really a fun little rocket. GLTA
do this, insurance wont know a thing, brother is an officer and he told me this works great, just never chas the check they send you back for overpaying, once you do its no longer pending, in NY anyway
Old 03-08-2006, 10:50 PM
My Garage

what the cop said was that "im cutting you a favor by writing 50 instead of 51, if you bring this to court, im gonna make sure you get a 51 ticket at court if you bring me there.

I'm pissed worried he'll do that...Right now im just thinking maybe i should go in there and tell them that i'm inclined not to go to court because of that.

I'll plea that its my first time and i didn't know that the speed limit changed. I'm heading back over there this weekend to check where the speed limit sign is.
He won't!! What is he gonna say to the judge?

"He made me wake up early this morning so forget what i wrote on that ticket, when I think back three months ago, he was actually doing 1 mph faster than I wrote"

You have a constitutional right to fight that ticket, he cannot deny you that right and I can't believe he would even have the balls to attempt to.

BTW i'm pretty sure you can forget about the cop not showing up thing. i'm almost positive that recently a law was passed allowing other officers to stand in if the officer who gave you the ticket can't be there.
Old 03-08-2006, 11:21 PM
Racer

The cop probaby gives a lot of traffic tickets, and hates going to court all the time because he gives so many, so he threatens everyone he gives a ticket to to avoid court all day long. The chances he even REMEMBERS your ticket is pretty slim especially if court date is 2-3 weeks later. Most traffic cops usually stay in the same area, so they may give like 20 tickets to 20 different people over the course of a week or two. Hard to remember. In your case its about 20 days later...... For all the tickets he gives by then, what are the chances he will remember specifically you, and making sure he takes you down?
Secondly, its really your right to go to court and defend yourself, and the cop is probably just avoiding having to show up in court because everytime you go to court, he has to go as well. Having to go to court is not even worth the ticket because he has to spend the time there. He probably sees that you are young, and probably doesn't know any better, so he would scare the crap outta you and save himself some trouble.

If your worried still, then try to plea bargain, but if not, find some lawyer or a paralegal and see what they think. Ask forum boards of forums dedicated to helping you with your speeding ticket (i think theres a board like that, if not ask a lawyer forum board or something, and sound like a fellow legal professional rofl)

Good Luck ^_^
Old 03-08-2006, 11:27 PM
Burning Brakes

Yeah, but if thats what his intentions are...isn't he technically acting in a non-legal manner...
Old 03-08-2006, 11:29 PM
My Garage

Yeah, but if thats what his intentions are...isn't he technically acting in a non-legal manner...
no, it's a stupid manner

are my posts invisible?
Old 03-08-2006, 11:37 PM
Burning Brakes

Im just saying, can't I say to the judge thats what the police officer said regarding his comment as a threat against my right to trial
Old 03-08-2006, 11:48 PM
Racer

Im just saying, can't I say to the judge thats what the police officer said regarding his comment as a threat against my right to trial
Can you prove he said it? He could play it off easy, and having the judge believe you that an officer threatened you is difficult as well.
Anyone could go to the judge and say a cop pulled a gun to his head, but if you cant prove it, and there are no witnesses, you got no case

Quick Reply: help guys..my first ticket =(