Old 07-19-2005, 03:32 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
Have I gone completely insane?

I'm thinking of trading in my TSX for a Mazda 3 Sport

Why?

- I'm getting tired of the TSX.
- The small problems are bugging the crap out of me.
- The dark color is driving me nuts. Its always fawkin dirty.
- It needs new tires and rotors soon.

But most importantly, doing so will lower my monthly payment to pratically nothing freeing up some cash for other stuff.

I'm at a stage right now where I feel that spending money on a car is a waste.

Why the 3? Its really the only other car in that price range I can see myself driving and I really like the 3 Sport (Hatch).

I think I'll go test drive one this evening and see where I stand then.
I'm also thinking of leasing it for 4 years as I'm sure I'll get sick of it as well.

BTW, a 3 Sport GT with cloth can be had for 27K OTD and did I mention I'd be gettng the 5MT
Old 07-19-2005, 03:36 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
I understand the money deal, but why don't you just correct the mistakes with a 6MT SSM 06 TSX?

Most probably you'd be rid of most of the trouble you've had, with another 60k under warranty. I'd actually argue that you should also get the extd warranty while you're at it.

Of course though, I really don't have much to say about the 3. My bro has a Protegé and he really hasn't had any trouble with it.
Old 07-19-2005, 03:37 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Then again, if you're looking for power with less money, why don't you wait and see what the Civic has to offer? 6MT + LSD <*
Old 07-19-2005, 03:41 PM
My Garage

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Old 07-19-2005, 03:41 PM
I'm a llama :(

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What small problems do you have? And what color is your car?
Old 07-19-2005, 03:50 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by sauceman
I understand the money deal, but why don't you just correct the mistakes with a 6MT SSM 06 TSX?
Want little to no payment. I have other plans, Boat, S2000 etc. I just no longer see the need for such a nice (but PITA) daily driver.
Old 07-19-2005, 03:51 PM
Burning Brakes

Old 07-19-2005, 03:52 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Then again, if you're looking for power with less money, why don't you wait and see what the Civic has to offer? 6MT + LSD <*

Thought about that but no Hatch, I love the hatch. And besides, the current 127HP Civic Si Sedan costs the same as the more powerful Maz3 Sport GT. Obviously the 06 Civic will cost considerably more.
Old 07-19-2005, 03:53 PM
i want to ride my bicycle

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
my g/f drives a 3, its a nice car she paid $20k US...its not a TSX replacement, but it looks nice and drives pretty well.....but its still a mazda and I can get completly around that.

i think of trading in the TSX from time to time, but it always seems to be for more expensive cars
Old 07-19-2005, 03:57 PM
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
If money is truly the issue, why don't you just buy a used Prelude or Accord or something else, not sure you'd gain too much with another new car, isn't a new Mazda3 going to cost roughly what you'd get for the TSX (excuse my ignorance of the exchange rate), you'd just be getting a lower payment, but not saving any money at all, in fact, probably losing, as you'd be taking 2 depreciation hits.

I like the 3, but I just never understand how people feel they're making their situation a whole lot better by selling a relatively new car for a slightly cheaper new car. No offense, just don't really get it.
Old 07-19-2005, 03:59 PM
Photography Nerd

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
The Mazda 3 is a great little car, my sister is going to buy one in a couple weeks to replace her 1990 civic which is finally dying after 15 years of service. I like the looks of the new Civic coupe but I'm not wild about the sedan, at least not in the spy pics so far. The Coupe is probably too impractical for so the Mazda 3 is a good alternative.
Old 07-19-2005, 03:59 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by virus7

i think of trading in the TSX from time to time, but it always seems to be for more expensive cars

Up until now I was thining the same. Lexus IS, TL, etc.

But, its such a waste of $$$ the way I'm seeing things lately. I was of this mindset back in 2000 as well. I desperately wanted a ITR but got a Civic instead. Bought a house so it worked out.

I don't know, I may change my mind on the drive home tonight.
Old 07-19-2005, 04:00 PM

And what makes it a PITA? Cause it's auto? If so, I completely understand.
Old 07-19-2005, 04:03 PM
TS-SEX

Well you gotta do what you gotta do... btw, if you do sell the TSX Dom, are you gonna keep on your cai and rsb? If not, are you planning to sell them?
Old 07-19-2005, 04:12 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by scheißterhöffer
If money is truly the issue, why don't you just buy a used Prelude or Accord or something else, not sure you'd gain too much with another new car, isn't a new Mazda3 going to cost roughly what you'd get for the TSX (excuse my ignorance of the exchange rate), you'd just be getting a lower payment, but not saving any money at all, in fact, probably losing, as you'd be taking 2 depreciation hits.

I like the 3, but I just never understand how people feel they're making their situation a whole lot better by selling a relatively new car for a slightly cheaper new car. No offense, just don't really get it.
Totally agree, I dun see what kind of saving on selling a 2 yr old car for a brand new slightly cheaper car. But if your intentsion is to get manual then go ahead! It is a good move.

I also consider Mazda 3 GT too before I get the TSX but the slick manual and high rev engine of the TSX made me never look back.
Old 07-19-2005, 05:21 PM
Hondaholic

Originally Posted by ianS
Totally agree, I dun see what kind of saving on selling a 2 yr old car for a brand new slightly cheaper car. But if your intentsion is to get manual then go ahead! It is a good move.

I also consider Mazda 3 GT too before I get the TSX but the slick manual and high rev engine of the TSX made me never look back.
I don't know about Canada, but around here, (Connecticut), I could pocket about $8k with a move like that. And have a brand new car on top of that...........
Old 07-19-2005, 05:26 PM
Bye TSX, hello domestic?

Originally Posted by LannyM
I don't know about Canada, but around here, (Connecticut), I could pocket about $8k with a move like that. And have a brand new car on top of that...........
that logic would apply to downgrading to any new car, so I guess it depends on how much you really like the Mazda.

I'd say wait for the Mazdaspeed 3 coming, screw the $$$, you just got a raise anyways
Old 07-19-2005, 05:32 PM
VSA Rocks

I was very hesitant to have a 2nd car payment before buying the TSX.

With my old car, it was payed off and I was paying only for liability insurance. Can't beat that. However, having an addition to the family required 4 doors.

I tried to think of the best scenario where I'd be able to accomplish the following:
- low or no monthly payments*
- 4 doors
- upgrade in performance from Integra coupe*
- reliable

Before I settled on the TSX, I considered a 4-door E36 M3. Unfortunately, I couldn't find a 5-spd under 100k on the odo. Every option I considered, the new car won out.

Ever consider a used?
Old 07-19-2005, 05:35 PM
Guinea Pig

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yes!!!
Old 07-19-2005, 05:40 PM
Troutslap Mod-DUH-rator

no more dom?

no :dom: => sad troutslapper.

the 3 is 27KOTD? how much is the tsx OTD in canada?

i'd bet your wife would be pissed considering you just got a comptech RSB.

:troutslap
Old 07-19-2005, 05:41 PM
Troutslap Mod-DUH-rator

why is everyone writing yes?

did dom ask a question somewhere?
Old 07-19-2005, 05:42 PM
Hondaholic

Originally Posted by xizor
....that logic would apply to downgrading to any new car, so I guess it depends on how much you really like the Mazda..........
My comment was really meant more for this reply:

Originally Posted by scheißterhöffer
.... isn't a new Mazda3 going to cost roughly what you'd get for the TSX....
I'll tell ya, the Mazda3 is a sweet little car, does not give up much in terms of performance or dynamics, and $8k would put a nice 50" Plasma, a new Apple Powerbook, and assorted other high depreciation items in my hands....hmmmm, you got me thinking Dom
Old 07-19-2005, 05:43 PM
Hondaholic

Originally Posted by dzuy

Yeah, he wanted to know if people think he's insane
Old 07-19-2005, 05:45 PM
TSX

Originally Posted by dzuy

Old 07-19-2005, 05:49 PM
Troutslap Mod-DUH-rator

Originally Posted by Savio
:troutslap
Old 07-19-2005, 06:37 PM
Audi Driving Snob

Well Dom if you can live without the luxury features, as nice handling and more raucus engine then by alll means. The mazda 3 isn't a bad car at all.

Financially speaking you really aren't "saving" any money as was noted before. Sure the payments are lower but it's only shifting the outlay down the road a ways. The best thing you could do financially is keep the tsx another year or so and then sell it just after the depreciation curves has leveled off.(although I should note the tsxs are still pretty hot so depreciation isn't bad on them at all)

Page 2 ownage. I personally don't think I could live without Xenons again but that's only me.
Old 07-19-2005, 07:26 PM
i want to ride my bicycle

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by TinkySD
I personally don't think I could live without Xenons again but that's only me.
they are an option on the 3, at least in
Old 07-19-2005, 08:42 PM
YBA
Burning Brakes

Just remember that car parts of mazdas are usually more expensive than Honda. Also, I would question the long term reliability with mazda products... The 3 has been out only for a little while and if it's like my 2001 protege, you're gonna have all sorts of issues with it.

I love the 3 but I would stay away from it just because it's a mazda...

warmest regards
Old 07-19-2005, 09:03 PM
She said: it's GINORMOUS!

i live by one model: always trade up, not down

(ok i lied. bought a civic after owning a 'teg. lol)
Old 07-19-2005, 09:04 PM
Burning Brakes

I actually test drove a Mazda 3, before getting the TSX. I considered it as a money saving option. They have a "Special Edition" that seemed pretty loaded for around 20K.

First thing, I didn't like the interior, which was also mentioned in the reviews. Well, the layout might have been fine, but it just didn't have as nice fit and finish, I guess you could say. Radio was kind of gimmicky (seemed like it had a cheezy bass enhancer that the salesman was eager to show, which was annoying because I like to kind of concentrate on what I'm doing in a test drive), but I would have wanted to change it out anyway.

I liked the interior room. Even the back seat seemed large enough. Outside styling was pretty good too. Well, I'm not a fan of the front end, but overall, it still looks good.

The design of the car was definitely meant to give you a sporty feel. The manual transmission was great! Shifted easily, and the engine was plenty peppy. I gave it a little zoom zoom, and it went. I can see where people would like the car.

But then I kept thinking of the TSX. There was really nothing for me on the 3 that would make me consider against the TSX except for maybe the price. For 5 or 6k more, I could get a TSX and pretty much have a better car in every way I could think of. That's still over $100 more in payment, so if you're on a budget, you gotta do what you gotta do.

I also test-drove the Scion tC, and I thought that was more interesting than the 3. Less room, of course, and a little more expensive, if you try to get the same options. I think I would have leaned towards the tC if I had to stay near $20k.
Old 07-19-2005, 10:59 PM
Drifting

but it's ugly! so, yes.

even if it's a step down, it's probably the right decision since it meets your wants/needs better. too bad it's ugly. i mean really ugly. at least you're not thinking of getting a pt cruiser.

unfortunately, the 6 wagon is not an option; it looks helluva lot better. you know, because the 3 is ugly and all.

Old 07-20-2005, 08:09 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

As far as saving money goes I was thinking more along the lines of the monthly payment. In the end I really would not be saving anything.

Tinky has the right idea about depreciation though. I'd be taking a bigger hit now than in another year or two. And I don't really think I can bring myself to downgrade.

Still thinking.
Old 07-20-2005, 08:55 AM
Guinea Pig

for the love of god Dom.....don't do it man! Stay away from the light!
Old 07-20-2005, 05:45 PM
I'm the Firestarter

Received 747 Likes on 449 Posts
Originally Posted by dom
I'm thinking of trading in my TSX for a Mazda 3 Sport

Why?

- I'm getting tired of the TSX.
- The small problems are bugging the crap out of me.
- The dark color is driving me nuts. Its always fawkin dirty.

But most importantly, doing so will lower my monthly payment to pratically nothing freeing up some cash for other stuff.

I'm at a stage right now where I feel that spending money on a car is a waste.

Why the 3? Its really the only other car in that price range I can see myself driving and I really like the 3 Sport (Hatch).

I think I'll go test drive one this evening and see where I stand then.
I'm also thinking of leasing it for 4 years as I'm sure I'll get sick of it as well.

BTW, a 3 Sport GT with cloth can be had for 27K OTD and did I mention I'd be gettng the 5MT
TrAiToR

PS. I'm going to get my C&D right now and do the black marker on your letter to the editor
Old 07-20-2005, 05:50 PM
Banned

Received 124 Likes on 104 Posts
Is this a common problem AGAIN? It was with my 2 Accord.
Old 07-21-2005, 02:24 AM
My bolonga has a 1st name

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i agree
Old 07-21-2005, 12:00 PM

Why don't you just refinance to get a lower payment?
Old 07-21-2005, 01:29 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Motohip
Why don't you just refinance to get a lower payment?

No, its not that I can't afford the payment its that I don't want the payment period. Re-financing not only streches out the payment it also costs me more in interest.

I could swap it for the Mazda and lose nothing if my math is correct and I get what I hope for the TSX. Unfortunately getting what I hope may not be realistic.

I've put this idea on the shelf for awhile anyway. It will be very difficult to downgrade and I'm sure I may regret it later.

New Rotors and pads here I come.
Old 07-21-2005, 02:31 PM

Actually I got an offer from Capital One through Sali Mae and they offered lower interest rates and you can choose how long you want the loan for.
Old 07-21-2005, 03:52 PM
STL
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by dom
Originally Posted by Saintor
Is this a common problem AGAIN? It was with my 2 Accord.
I believe rotor "usage" depends what transmission you have (MT or AT) and driving style. I have a 95 Civic w/MT and my sister had a 94 w/AT and she went through a lot of rotors and brake pads whereas my 95 still had the original (front and rear) pads on up to 110k miles and I still have the original rotors on with 120k+ miles.

Quick Reply: Have I gone completely insane?