This is the hardest manual car i've driven

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2012, 10:51 PM
in the 24th and a half...

Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts
Certainly don't shift when it'll drop RPM's below 1500 on a regular basis.

Certainly double clutch if you want to skip shift.

For best gas mileage, I'd plan on shifting at about 2500 to 2700 rpm and keeping smooth acceleration, not rapid.

Remember that when you let off the gas, the engine is getting NO gasoline until rpm's drop below 1000. So if you see a light that you won't make or is already red, use engine braking (letting off the gas, shifting down as rpms drop below 1500, etc) to slow down for free.
Old 01-01-2013, 09:41 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When we bought my wife's 04 TSX, we test drove one that was already sold. It shifted perfectly. Our car was on the boat headed for the US. When we got it, we noticed it did not shift as well. Almost an immediate engagement of the clutch which makes the low torq of the engine problematic. I have only driven manuals since 1974.
I feel some TSXs have more issues with the clutch than others.
Old 01-01-2013, 08:28 PM
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Johns
When we bought my wife's 04 TSX, we test drove one that was already sold. It shifted perfectly. Our car was on the boat headed for the US. When we got it, we noticed it did not shift as well. Almost an immediate engagement of the clutch which makes the low torq of the engine problematic. I have only driven manuals since 1974.
I feel some TSXs have more issues with the clutch than others.
Yeah, I feel like a very low engagement point + low torque, is a recipe for trouble.

I've been getting the hang of it, but you really need to be quick with the gas, or you're going to get either clutch chatter I think it's called and almost stall.
Old 01-01-2013, 08:38 PM
Drifting

Received 486 Likes on 371 Posts
Originally Posted by justnspace

after 3 years of ownership, I still jerk like a noob
Lol
Old 01-03-2013, 09:12 PM
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts
I also thought the TSX was hard to shift when I test drove one in 2003 before buying my auto TSX. I had been driving Honda/Acura manuals for almost 20 years at that point, and the TSX was the hardest for me to drive. I probably would have gone for the auto anyway due to the higher gas mileage estimates, but after driving the manual, it was a no-brainer decision for me.
Old 01-04-2013, 02:52 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by cruiserchuck
I also thought the TSX was hard to shift when I test drove one in 2003 before buying my auto TSX. I had been driving Honda/Acura manuals for almost 20 years at that point, and the TSX was the hardest for me to drive. I probably would have gone for the auto anyway due to the higher gas mileage estimates, but after driving the manual, it was a no-brainer decision for me.
I think the hardest thing with this car, IMO, is the combo of it's clutch and no low end torque. Very easy to "chatter" or almost stall, if you aren't quick with the gas. Very unforgiving car if you aren't perfect with your feet.
Old 01-05-2013, 12:24 PM
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
I hate to jump in again, but this is drifting away from the earlier part of this thread, where the TSX's manual transmission was discussed by many car magazines as "one of the best ever made"...and where the "problems" listed here were discussed as a lack of experience or possibly problems with a few specific cars.

Most of us with the 6 speed have never had any trouble with shifting, the clutch or engagement. Most drivers have never had any trouble with chatter or near stalling, as mentioned on the above post.

I don't doubt that some are having trouble, but please don't generalize and call the transmission difficult to use for everyone, or that one must be perfect to use it...It is simply not the case. I'm not perfect with it at all times, and my wife has no problem driving it flawlessly.

Yes, the automatic had slightly better gas mileage ratings...but most of us are getting 35+ mpg on the highway in real life. But the stick has some advantages...as discussed in Car & Driver, because of the lighter weight magnesium transfer case and the different shifting points, the manual was quicker 0-60 than the automatic.

Some quotes from Car & Driver magazine, in their reviews of the TSX:

"Every element has the look and feel of precision. Take the pedals. All three of them on our six-speed-manual primary tester had remarkably short travel, and each felt perfectly linear in operation. These are the sorts of unnoticed but predictable and reassuring interfaces that make for a satisfying performance car. The precision of the manual shifter would make a surgical instrument jealous." The five-speed is a fine tranny with a responsive manumatic feature, but its shifts are too soft for a sporting sedan. And equipping the TSX with an automatic, as Acura anticipates two-thirds of its buyers will, makes it too pedestrian."

-----
First road test:

"The engine wouldn't be nearly as satisfying if not for the gem of a gearbox. Housed in a magnesium case for weight reduction, the six-speed manual features multicone synchronizers on all gears and 45-millimeter (about 1.75 inches) shift throws (an S2000's are about 35mm) that result in a pleasingly light, crisp action; a flick of the wrist is all that's required to row from gear to gear. Consequently, the powertrain harmony makes for brisk acceleration: 0 to 60 mph takes 7.2 seconds." [/I]

-------

From the "10 Best Cars" awards:

"Power is delivered to the front wheels by a 2.4-liter DOHC 16-valve aluminum four with Honda's i-VTEC variable valve timing and lift system. Mated with a slick six-speed manual transmission, this engine delivers more than enough thrust to be entertaining, and it's as smooth as a dram of 25-year-old Dalwhinnie single malt. A five-speed automatic is available, if you must. But we recommend the sense of engagement that goes with the six-speed."

Last edited by Boulder TSX; 01-05-2013 at 12:30 PM.
Old 01-05-2013, 06:12 PM
Advanced

I never generalized anything.

All I said was it has been a harder car for me to drive. Doesn't mean it's not a great car. I've been getting it more consistently and it's a joy to drive. Actually my 04 is smoother than some newer cars i've driven.
Old 01-05-2013, 07:09 PM
Racer

Sorry, I wasn't aiming that at you in particular, mainly the group tone in recent comments. (Though you did say you felt the TSX 6 speed is a 'very unforgiving car if you aren't perfect with your feet'...and that the clutch and torque were problematic. --And I think that may be a bit of an unfair generalization. Certainly it's something the automotive press has never mentioned amidst their praise for the manual transmission. in fact, the clutch has been praised, along with the torque, especially for a normally aspirated 4 cylinder engine.)

I've been driving manuals exclusively since I was 16, and I personally think the TSX's 6 speed is easier to use than many. (Of course, opinions vary...and they can all come off as generalizations, mine included.)

That's why I give more weight to the experts when it comes to an objective evaluation.

Bottom line is that it's good to hear that you're getting more consistent with it -- and that you're enjoying the car.

Last edited by Boulder TSX; 01-05-2013 at 07:21 PM.
Old 01-05-2013, 07:53 PM
Advanced

Most car reviews will most likely never bring up something like that because well, these are professional drivers testing them lol.

I have been getting better.

You seem like you're well experience, do you have any tips/advice? Onshifting, launches, w/e it is..
Old 01-05-2013, 08:54 PM
Racer

Well, to be honest, I might have to see you driving to make any good suggestions. It's likely that it's just a matter of practice, as you said earlier that you just learned to drive a stick in the past year. (I can tell you it took me a while to learn it initially...and it did not get 'smooth' for several months.)

Smooth shifts with any manual are greatly due to knowing how to feather the clutch and the gas. And that varies, depending on the car and also what kind of driving you're doing. Obviously there are distinct styles of shifting that most people need to learn for smooth take-off...during "Sunday drives", like when you're driving family around...vs. performance/quick acceleration.

Rev matching is a big key, and it is tougher during spirited driving...but in time you can get it down.

Others, like DuckDodgers have offered what sounded like very good advice in this thread.

Based on the way you've described of shifting and engagement points, I think you're fine in terms of knowledge, it's just a matter of gaining experience and feel. I'm guessing you will get it down soon enough.
Old 01-07-2013, 03:58 PM
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
I get a bit of "chatter" when starting in 1st and let the rpms get a little low. Perhaps I have a warped flywheel, but it may just be that I don't give enough revs. From 2nd to 6th I have absolutely no issues at all.

I recently taught my gf how to drive a manual, and she picked it up very quickly in my car. She had problems with starts too, but I told her to take an eternity to let out of the clutch, and now she takes off very smoothly. Then I had her drive a new Jeep Wrangler manual, and that sucker has a mile-long clutch movement, and the shifting is just as long. The manual gearbox on the Jeep is garbage, and she said it was much easier to drive my car.

7 months is not a lot of time, so you will surely get better as time goes on. It's possible you have something wrong with your tranny, but others here have given good advice.

FYI- Shifting at low RPM when accelerating does not improve fuel economy. However, when traveling at a sustained speed, you should be in the highest gear possible. I shift at 3000 RPM during normal acceleration and get into 6th at 30 mph when just maintaining steady speeds.

If you are concerned about fuel economy as I am, check out this post:
http://ecomodder.com/forum/EM-hyperm...ecodriving.php
Old 01-13-2013, 11:49 AM
9th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I dont find the TSX hard to drive at all. But I have been driving torqueless B16 civics since I was 16 (112 lb ft FTL). 6 speed hondas are jerky in first gear because of the combination of a high gear ratio and final drive ratio. Those two things combined make for a very touchy throttle in first gear.

3 things you might want to check in your TSX if you are having problems

1) pedal assemble integrity. I have an 04 with 120k. I was having inconsistent shifts with this car and I didnt know if it was because I was getting worse as a driver or what but clutch engagement just didnt feel precise. Clutch pedal assembly (where the whole thing mounts to the firewall) was cracked. It would flex and this is what was causing my clutch engagement point to change.

2) clutch engagement adjustment. The clutch engagement point can be adjusted where the clutch pedal attaches to the master cylinder under the dash. Take out the cotter pin, then take out the dowl. slide the mount away from the pedal and you can screw the mount in and out (it is threaded on the master cylinder shaft) to adjust engagement point.

3) REAR MOTOR MOUNT. I need to replace this. When i am idling and my AC compressor comes on I can hear a slight deep rattle. As a honda owner I know for a fact what a crappy rear motor mount does to driveability in stop and go traffic. You engage the clutch and instead of all of the tq going to the wheels, a bit of it is lost when the motor shifts because the motor mounts are out (or going out)

These mods made my car MUCH more of a joy to drive and IMO this is how it should have came from the factory.

1) intake resonator removed after airbox with K&N drop in filter
(so you can actually hear the damn thing to tell you when to shift)

2) pre-muffler resonator removed (there are 2 resonators. the little one right before the mufflers) This does not make the car much louder but gives it a little exhaust tone. I have removed both of my resonators in place for an OEM S2000 resonator. Sounds like a sporty OEM exhaust (think s2k)

3) Hondata reflash. This is must have IMO. Car is now much more responsive and tq gain everywhere.

These made me fall in love with my TSX all over again (without sounding ricey). This is my dd afterall. I have a k24 hatchback to do that in
Old 01-13-2013, 11:53 AM
9th Gear

Originally Posted by redpoint
I get a bit of "chatter" when starting in 1st and let the rpms get a little low. Perhaps I have a warped flywheel, but it may just be that I don't give enough revs. From 2nd to 6th I have absolutely no issues at all.
This is more than likely caused by the rear motor mount as the engine is "bucking"
Old 01-15-2013, 02:06 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by delslo9
This is more than likely caused by the rear motor mount as the engine is "bucking"
Thanks for the response. I don't think it's a motor mount since I don't get the deep rattle you do when the AC comes on. It has also driven the same since I got the car, with 36,000 miles on it. Really, I have no issue with smoothness if I give it enough revs. Lately I haven't noticed any shuddering.
Old 01-20-2013, 01:48 AM
Advanced

Once you start getting your timing right, it is unreal how smooth this ride is of this car.

Mine's an 04 and it drives better than newer cars. I've been getting much better. I think my problem was since the clutch catches so quick, I wasn't getting on the gas quick enough. Now it's better and this car is so amazing. Such a smooth ride. I drove a 6MT TL 08 the other day and it obviously has the power, but IMO the TSX feels much more smooth, better steering/handling.
Old 01-20-2013, 04:11 AM
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts
IMO, all Hondas I've ever driven had tricky manuals. I actually think my TSX is easy to drive, but then again I've been driving manuals for a very long time and don't even think about it.

Put me in a late '80s - early '90s Civic/CRX/Integra and I will still have to mind my takeoffs and shifts for a little while, even though I know very well exactly what to expect from those cars. For DBW -- I think it's actually much easier to drive than the earlier Hondas with a cable.

And, don't shift below 3K -- rev that sucker up! It's a freakin' Honda, at least rev it 'till 4K.

Stan
Old 01-20-2013, 03:35 PM
Advanced

So just to clarify, if my clutch catches very quick, getting back on the gas quicker is must for a smooth shift,correct?

I just want to make sure im doing it right now
Old 04-25-2013, 09:03 PM
Racer

my suggestion would be to practice no-gas launches in a big flat parking lot. while the friction zone on our clutches seem very small, getting the muscle memory and really slowly smoothly letting the clutch out seems to be the key, at least to me.

once my muscle memory got better, 1-2, 2-3 have been pretty smooth...
Old 04-26-2013, 12:01 PM
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by stan_t
IMO, all Hondas I've ever driven had tricky manuals. I actually think my TSX is easy to drive, but then again I've been driving manuals for a very long time and don't even think about it.

Put me in a late '80s - early '90s Civic/CRX/Integra and I will still have to mind my takeoffs and shifts for a little while, even though I know very well exactly what to expect from those cars. For DBW -- I think it's actually much easier to drive than the earlier Hondas with a cable.

And, don't shift below 3K -- rev that sucker up! It's a freakin' Honda, at least rev it 'till 4K.

Stan
I agree the car just wakes up at 4k+ revs, stock ECU too.
Old 05-29-2013, 03:14 PM
Intermediate

The car begs to be rev'd up. Totally agree with that. My last car was a DC2 GSR and relative to our TSX it was very easy to drive. The first half year or so of driving was a bit of a challenge because I drove my GSR for about 8 years and gotten used to the "forgiving" clutch as it uses the more familiar cable throttle.

A couple years of ownership, and I still get the herky jerky acceleration once in the morning or when I'm really tired. I'm quite used to it now, but accelerating from a stop over bumpy streets with a my stiffer suspension is always a big annoyance. Other than that I'm content.
Old 05-30-2013, 10:07 AM
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by zigenx77
The car begs to be rev'd up. Totally agree with that. My last car was a DC2 GSR and relative to our TSX it was very easy to drive. The first half year or so of driving was a bit of a challenge because I drove my GSR for about 8 years and gotten used to the "forgiving" clutch as it uses the more familiar cable throttle.

A couple years of ownership, and I still get the herky jerky acceleration once in the morning or when I'm really tired. I'm quite used to it now, but accelerating from a stop over bumpy streets with a my stiffer suspension is always a big annoyance. Other than that I'm content.
Ya, when you are driving everything is lovely. When you are stop, go, inch your way 10 miles in heavy traffic I think is where people will have a hard time. I do this every morning this morning was especially bad. Always a freeing experience when you get 50ft to stretch the legs then it is back to pleasant driving.
Old 05-31-2013, 09:59 PM
Cruisin'

The DBW in this car is very laggy/tempremental. I find that I can smoothly shift it now after having owned it 2 weeks...but the first time I jumped in it, it was awful. I don't know if my clutch is aftermarket, but my clutch feel isn't the greatest. I have driven exclusively manual cars for 12 years. So...it's not me. I drive every other car very smoothly. I've driven other DBW cars smoothly.

I've found that the DBW has a lot of lag when the car is moving. When the car is at a standstill, the DBW reacts very quickly.

I also turn off the VSA every time I drive....especially in rainy weather. I would try to go quickly from a light. The car wouldn't go anywhere, so I'd apply more gas, and let the clutch out slower. It would rev up and then a tire would spin just a tiny bit. VSA would cut the power, the car would buck forward violently and my foot would hit the gas harder as a result. The car would then jerk back when VSA let the throttle back open. I looked like an idiot.

VSA...OFF.
Old 05-31-2013, 10:12 PM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
40,000 miles later with the new clutch, and significantly raised engagement point, and the car is still so much easier to drive than it ever was with the original clutch, which was replaced at 113,000 miles. The jerky 1 - 2 shift problem is sometimes sort of there, but all shifts are so much faster than they used to be. My TSX still has the clumsiest MT of any car I've ever owned, but for the past two years I've at least been glad I kept the car.
Old 06-01-2013, 09:01 PM
Advanced

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts
There is another thread on this on the other TsX forum.
One simple tip: after a shift, if your head jerks forward = not enough gas; if it jerks back = too much.
Some members found that turning VSA off helps shifts at 1-2. - I imagine this helps those who are not matching engine speed to tire speed = minor slip VSA cuts power -> jerk forward (slow down).
Another member found that leaving 5% throttle on during 1-2 shift help fight the 1-2 jerk.
Some good mods for smoother shifting were found with:
-Hybrid Racing shifter cable bushings > corsport shifter cable bushings
-Ingalls ETD
-upgraded engine mounts
-upgraded clutch (eg. stage 1 exedy)

Don't bog down your engine shifting into low RPMs. You'll find better shifts around 3-3.5K. It likes to be revved.
Those of you with RPMs falling significantly can reduce this drop by not pressing the clutch to the floor every time. Learn your car's friction point. You only need to clutch just past that to shift, and you will find a smoother, quicker shift when doing so (natural rev match is easier to find, and you wont have to blip when up shifting - which is silly). There is no need to push the clutch out all the way.
-a weighted shift knob paired with short shifter and solid shifter base bushings helps too
Old 06-04-2013, 11:15 PM
Cruisin'

I've been kinda figuring out the car lately. Banging gears is easier if you get on the throttle a little earlier than you would in a car without the super slow DBW that the TSX has. Or just no-lift-shift.

As far as driving smooth, it's just a matter of footwork and timing. It still takes a little anticipation to get the car going from a stop light....but it's getting better. The clutch pedal just feels very vague. I'm going to adjust it so that the engagement point is as high as possible while still having freeplay in the pedal.

I usually shift around 3-4k RPMs....or whatever "feels" right. My other cars are an 01 Integra Type R and a S2000 (girlfriend has a S2000 also). So...all this talk about the K24 liking "to be revved" because it likes to be shifted at like 3-4k RPM makes me LOL a little bit haha. I'm coming from cars with a normal shift RPM of like 4-7k.
Old 06-17-2013, 01:52 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It is your shifting style. Don't baby the shift. The TSX likes to rev so get the RPMs up, shift and accelerate. You will find it much smoother than trying engage a lower RPMs.
Old 06-17-2013, 05:47 PM
Racer

I said it earlier, and I'll say it again...the people who are having trouble with the TSX 6MT are mystifying to me. I've had no trouble with it at all...it is a true joy. I've been wondering how there could be a few people here having trouble, (outside of cltuches needing adjustment, etc.)

Just this past weekend came across an old Car & Driver review of the TSX... Get this: They said the manual transmission is so great and so easy to shift, that it is the perfect car to teach someone how to drive a stick. Go figure.
Old 06-17-2013, 08:33 PM
Instructor

I taught my fiance how to drive stick on my '06 TSX. Since then she has driven a 2013 Jeep Wrangler, and she struggles with it. The clutch pedal distance is measured in miles, and the gearbox is utter garbage. It feels like dislocating joints to shift the thing, but maybe I'm just spoiled by the smooth Acura gears.

I'm not very consistent or smooth starting from first, but ever gear after is easy. Maybe the flywheel is lighter than most other cars, and that contributes to the tricky initial acceleration?
Old 06-17-2013, 09:04 PM
Racer

instead of seesawing the clutch and gas, i find it easier to launch by letting out the clutch to the start of friction zone and then give it gas. i'm on the clutch much less and smoother than i would be seesawing...

also, one of the easiest things i did was move the seat up another inch. sometimes, we are much further than we should be and as a consequence we have less leverage on the pedals. i almost never have 2nd and 3rd gear crunchiness now and i'm way smoother launching. it may initially be uncomfortable but i'm used to it now...

Last edited by 808havok_tsx; 06-17-2013 at 09:06 PM.