Had the car 10 days, took it to work 3 times...finally a door ding!

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2008 | 01:48 PM
gets all the crazy chicks

Had the car 10 days, took it to work 3 times...finally a door ding!

I parked my 10 day old PWP TSX at the parking lot outside work, and lucky me there was a gold Nissan Murano parked really close to my car. I go to check the passenger door, and of course there's a chip in the paint where their door hit my car. It's really minor (argh I hate the fact that I left my camera at my parents place in TX), possibly even just the clearcoat.

I'm a perfectionist. I'm going to come in really early from now on so I can park on an "end spot" (only wide side the retards will get if they slam their door open), but any ideas as to how to repair a clearcoat chip? I was thinking of going to the dealer, but I'm sure they'll rip me off...should I buy a buffer? I'll take a pic with my camera after I get out of work and post...
Old 03-04-2008 | 01:52 PM

BTW, I'm hoping it's just a clearcoat "chip." There's still white paint, that's why I assume he didn't get to the paint...also, I assumed I wouldn't be able to call the cops and get a police report for something like this, so I moved the car (bad idea?)
Old 03-04-2008 | 02:46 PM
Drifting

Touch up paint, let dry, follow with clear coat. Then buff out the excess. http://www.langka.com/
Old 03-04-2008 | 04:22 PM
ASM 3G TL Type-S

I have had my car almost four years now, and no chips or dings, with the exception of some rock chips on the front hood, my first recommendation would be practice 'safe' parking, I have to park my vehicle in the back of every lot I got to, it’s become second nature.

Second recommendation is Quixx, check the ‘wash and wax’ section, Quixx is great, buy the touchup pen, layer, wet sand, polish.
Old 03-04-2008 | 04:23 PM
ASM 3G TL Type-S

Actually wait let me correct myself, the PWP touchup pen sucks, were pretty much screwed when we get chips.
Old 03-04-2008 | 04:29 PM
Racer

Oh damn...sorry to hear that =(

I hope you get it repaired without it costing too much.
Old 03-04-2008 | 04:39 PM
Burning Brakes

It's inevitable. These sorts of folks are just drawn to cars like ours. I think they may purposefully do it IMHO.
Old 03-04-2008 | 05:31 PM
Three Wheelin'

I always park way out...you should too, you will get use to it. I learned the hard way with my old integra. I had at least 20 dings. I also always parked closest to where i was going.
Old 03-04-2008 | 06:17 PM
Three Wheelin'

I just use these and your door troubles are no more. Easy to use.

http://www.doordefender.com/
Old 03-04-2008 | 06:25 PM

Unfortunately the lot where I work pretty much gets filled up completely, there's no escape. My car was parked way out back, too. I guess I could drive my beater Civic to work, but that'd defeat the purpose of my buying a new car...I'm going to have to go in an hour early from now on to get one of the "corner" spots and just park as close to the curb as I can...

(trust me, I park WAY out back even with my '99 Civic, that car looks mint..I've been like this ever since I bought my first car, people think I'm crazy..)

I'm strongly considering side molding..
Old 03-04-2008 | 06:43 PM
Three Wheelin'

^^even the side moldings didn't work on my integra, especially against those SUVs...I would recommend what dwest posted. that looks pretty solid.
Old 03-04-2008 | 08:18 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by CGTSX07
^^even the side moldings didn't work on my integra, especially against those SUVs...I would recommend what dwest posted. that looks pretty solid.
I don't know, I think if someone sees those they'll go out of their way to mess with your car. I'd suggest against rearranging your life/schedule to get a better parking spot. I am absolutely infuriated by door dings, but, in the end, it's just a car, and if it brings you this much stress, is it even worth the hassle? Go when you normally go, try to get the best spot you can, but beyond that, don't worry about it. I would say park in a spot in which both adjacent spots are already occupied. That way the chances of some idiot pulling in too close are lessened, and you can avoid long doored cars like Monte Carlos and such. Until one of the cars next to you leaves I guess. Good luck. Don't let it consume your life.
Old 03-07-2008 | 12:37 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by scheißterhöffer
I don't know, I think if someone sees those they'll go out of their way to mess with your car. I'd suggest against rearranging your life/schedule to get a better parking spot. I am absolutely infuriated by door dings, but, in the end, it's just a car, and if it brings you this much stress, is it even worth the hassle? Go when you normally go, try to get the best spot you can, but beyond that, don't worry about it. I would say park in a spot in which both adjacent spots are already occupied. That way the chances of some idiot pulling in too close are lessened, and you can avoid long doored cars like Monte Carlos and such. Until one of the cars next to you leaves I guess. Good luck. Don't let it consume your life.
Well said but personally I am still paranoid. I try to go for the end spots but now that the stupid train station is filling up, people are double parking and it only increases the paranoia.

BTW CivicKid, try using some mild abrasive like Mothers Scratch Remover before touching up with paint. It worked for MANY of my scratches. Remember to wax over it afterwards.
Old 04-30-2008 | 07:34 PM
10th Gear

I personally am the same way. Anywhere I go I park in the last spot next to a curb. My theory is parking next to a curb will lower your chance by 50%.
Even though I park extremely far I still have these 3 dings. Anyone try paintless dent removal?

Old 04-30-2008 | 07:40 PM
Burning Brakes

omg, that totally blows... I have 2 dings (front left fender and back left quarter panel...) and recently i broke my rule for the first time - never park next to a handicap spot (regardless how much space there is and how often its used (like once a month...)) - and by shitty luck 6 hours later I come back and I see this huge marring on my passenger side door =T. Its like 6 inches long and 1/2 and inch across. My guess, opened door fully, used door as leverage to get out, rubbed up on the paint. I guess thats better than those other 2 people that left dings on my car.
Old 04-30-2008 | 08:23 PM
Make a hole, coming thru!

We've just had another regular thread at work (they start up every few months) by someone whose had anonymous damage to their car. Now, we have sloped ramps with small spaces that should be "C" but aren't marked as such, so people park their huge ass Avalons and Camrys and 5-series and minivans and even SUVs there. Some of these cars literally don't fit between those lines.

There's a bunch of us who park on the third deck, which doesn't fill up. Several of us take spots which have a bit more space. Of course, if you're sharp-eyed, you can tell someone who's parking in a way and in a spot to avoid a ding. Birds of a feather ... if you park near someone like that, you're less likely to get a ding IMHO.

Another reality ... at work, like anywhere, those in a hurry, and less attentive, are parking lower, near doors, etc. Those parking a nice walk away are clearly not as careless. YMMV, but since I got this, my newest car in 20 years, I pick spots that are away from the pack. I haven't gotten a ding yet (though I had a boo-boo in my apt. complex parking lot, my fault, which I just got fixed).

I realize not everyone can put these tips into action, particularly at schools and places where the lots are packed. But then ... maybe you shouldn't sweat your car's dings if that's where you park it? I'm being gruff, I know.
Old 04-30-2008 | 09:52 PM
10th Gear

Well the fender ding was caused by a supermarket shopping cart. People in Miami don't care to dock there carts in the appropriate spots. Most of the time they just leave them in parking spaces or even in the middle of the road!
Old 04-30-2008 | 10:52 PM
Instructor

I've had mine for almost 3 months... at work I'm very fortunate to be able to park in the same spot way in the back, with the same other newer car that parks diagonally from me. Nobody touches us.

<rant on> Now the guy who parks his shiny 'Vette out there taking up 4 spots, well he is just asking for it, the one time I had a rental car I parked really close to him just to piss him off. If you don't want people touching your car, I understand parking far out, but still having the audacity to take up FOUR spots, you deserve a ding for being a jerk. <rant off>

Situation is great where I live as well, and just parking far away when going to malls and such, so far I've been lucky(knock on wood)

Now what makes me cry is when I get up close to the front bumper, already small knicks from road crap. Heck there is even a tiny mark on the rear pillar between the passenger door and the rear windshield! Must have been a stone from the road
Old 04-30-2008 | 10:53 PM
5o9
'05 TSX 6MT

wrabe001, one of the best reflectivity shots I've seen, and no swirl
Old 05-01-2008 | 07:57 AM
Make a hole, coming thru!

Originally Posted by ak3883
<rant on> Now the guy who parks his shiny 'Vette out there taking up 4 spots, well he is just asking for it, the one time I had a rental car I parked really close to him just to piss him off. If you don't want people touching your car, I understand parking far out, but still having the audacity to take up FOUR spots, you deserve a ding for being a jerk. <rant off> ...
Someone in the office I worked at in 2002 did this with her hubby's 1970s Corvette (not even a Stingray!), parked diag across two spots. We all snuck out throughout hte morning, and when she went out for lunch, all 20 or so of our cars were parked diag, parallel with her. I think we even took a pic for her husband (who mandated that she park that way).
Old 05-01-2008 | 11:21 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by dwest1023

Wow! Talk about some anal protection Do you really use those?
Old 05-01-2008 | 01:30 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by dwest1023

people will just take them from you and leave you a "thank you" note, plus possibly a ding to scoff off.

It does not make sense.
Old 05-01-2008 | 02:17 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by mav238
people will just take them from you and leave you a "thank you" note, plus possibly a ding to scoff off.

It does not make sense.
I just looked at the website and they do have a security cable so they can't be stolen.

I love the first picture with the RSX and G35 parked together. If only the guy with the Infiniti could park his car straight instead of crooked in the spot.
Old 05-01-2008 | 03:24 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by GTSX-05
I have had my car almost four years now, and no chips or dings, with the exception of some rock chips on the front hood, my first recommendation would be practice 'safe' parking, I have to park my vehicle in the back of every lot I got to, it’s become second nature.
Nearly the same story for me. I've had my TSX (Milano RED) for 5 years this month, and never the first door dent. I'm amazed!! I've had some new cars that got dents within a month. The only thing I can figure is that everyone else also realizes this is the best looking car around, and they don't dare to desecrate it! BIG