Had An Accident Today

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2008, 09:44 PM
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Had An Accident Today

You can check out the pictures here.

http://s404.photobucket.com/albums/p...t=DSCN1791.jpg

I'm very frustrated, it was my fault - i rearended the car in front of me. Damage on my baby wasn't too bad, but it looks like the hood and front bumper are damaged.

Anybody have any idea how much it'll cost to fix? Do you guys think the bumper/hood will need to be replaced? My deductible is $250 and the girl said she was going to call the insurance, so I went and ahead and notified mine so I can get going with fixing it.

The Acura dealer here (winston-salem, nC) has a body shop. I'm thinking it'll be a good idea to use the dealer body shop. Any thoughts on that?
Old 11-17-2008, 11:32 PM
Burning Brakes

dont go with acura bodyshop because it would probably get noted down in acura's system. if they see youve been in an accident, many warrantied items will be voided.
Old 11-18-2008, 12:37 AM
Unregistered User

Other guy is right. dont go to the dealer, unless there is anything wrong with electronics or engine. Body work can be handled for much less at private body shops.
Old 11-18-2008, 01:25 AM
4th Gear

Insurance is paying for everything after the deductible. I figure the dealer's body shop is best; they'll get the best parts and do what's best for the car - no?

I don't think Acura will void a warranty because I had a bumper/hood replaced either...Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 11-18-2008, 01:38 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by cameljocke
Insurance is paying for everything after the deductible. I figure the dealer's body shop is best; they'll get the best parts and do what's best for the car - no?

I don't think Acura will void a warranty because I had a bumper/hood replaced either...Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
my cousin's rsx had a bad motor mount, they asked if the car was in any accidents, i said no and i ask why and they said if its been in an accident they wont cover it. Also if you bring it to private shop, you can negotiate the deductible and you wont have to pay a cent.
Old 11-18-2008, 01:51 AM
Need more room in

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
I scanned my repair list from my accident for the guy in this thread

post #8
i dont think its anywhere close to yours though

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...light=accident
Old 11-18-2008, 02:34 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by cameljocke
You can check out the pictures here.

http://s404.photobucket.com/albums/p...t=DSCN1791.jpg

I'm very frustrated, it was my fault - i rearended the car in front of me. Damage on my baby wasn't too bad, but it looks like the hood and front bumper are damaged.

Anybody have any idea how much it'll cost to fix? Do you guys think the bumper/hood will need to be replaced? My deductible is $250 and the girl said she was going to call the insurance, so I went and ahead and notified mine so I can get going with fixing it.

The Acura dealer here (winston-salem, nC) has a body shop. I'm thinking it'll be a good idea to use the dealer body shop. Any thoughts on that?
I know how you feel. Did the same exact thing to mine last weekend. It is in the shop right now getting fixed. Total estimate on mine came to $3829.95 for parts+labor+tax. Make sure when you get an estimate they take the bumper and hood off. There was damage to mine that you couldn't see with out taking that off. Specifically, my driver side headlight was cracked in the back and a freon line on my AC condenser unit was crimped and they are replacing the entire unit. let me know if you have any questions.

Last edited by '06 Arctic; 11-18-2008 at 02:37 PM.
Old 11-18-2008, 02:44 PM
Burning Brakes

They also had to replace my front bumper/lower spoiler and my driver side fog light. It looks like my hood had almost the same damage as yours. They are not replacing the hood, rather blasting the hood to the metal, repairing the dent, then repainting the entire hood. I used Geico's Auto Express Service as it was pretty hassle free and from the research I did on the shop they use, it is a very well respected shop in the Pittsburgh Area. Also went to a local Acura Dealer's body shop for an estimate and was not happy with what they gave me.
Old 11-18-2008, 04:29 PM
User with Skills

to the Op....
The dealership having better service, better body shop and getting better parts.
That is usually a fallacy that many of us fall into.

first off.. all the parts will originate from the same place. Honda/Acura. 2ndly, dealerships like to cut as many corners as possible. They've sold you the car, do the REALLY need to keep you that happy?

I would go with a trusted quality body shop.
Old 11-18-2008, 06:31 PM
9th Gear

i believe you can also make the request of the private body shop to use all OEM parts. I got rear-ended and requested that. When my car was in the shop, the owner was cool enough to call me and asked if i wanted to use the money form the stock exhaust system to go out and get a aftermarket exhaust. So i got a comptech.

Last edited by andy916; 11-18-2008 at 06:34 PM.
Old 11-18-2008, 09:28 PM
Need more room in

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Make sure the private body shops use genuine honda oem parts. Ask around friends or something for a reputable shop. There's some shady shops out there that use fiberglass parts because it's cheaper
Old 11-18-2008, 11:25 PM
4th Gear

So dropped it off today at the body shop - not at the dealer, but one that the dealer recommends.

Unfortunately for me, I am very new to the area and have no idea what body shops are good and which aren't. However, this body shop specializes in Acura/Honda, and not to mention BMW/Lexus (there were a bunch of both sitting outside, and they all looked good.) I figure if they can do a good job on German cars, I must be in safe hands, especially with the limited info I have on body shops in the area.

Body shop said the bumper and hood will have to be replaced, and he believes I need new headlights. That sucks because the headlights are fine and have only been pushed out slightly to the sides - hard to believe that you need new ones for that. However, they have to agree with Geico, my insurance, on any fixes they make and come to a conclusion on what works pricewise and logic wise.

THe guy says they work on TSXs almost daily and will not know more about the damage until they take the bumper off. I will call tomorrow and get an update.

Btw, Geico, estimated the "superficial" damage at $1500. This includes new bumper, hood repair (not replacement, like the body shop said), new grille, parts, labor, paint. They understand more damage could be found - I hope none is found.

Worst part is, the person I rearended is claming injury :/. She said she wsa fine almost 5x when she got out of the car yesterday...then I find out she took herself to the ER and left with a soft tissue contusion and pain killers. Seriously, the ER, for that???
aaaack.

1st accidents suck.
Old 11-18-2008, 11:47 PM
Burning Brakes

i got a quick question, if one headlight is screwed up does insurance pay for and replace both?
Old 11-19-2008, 07:02 AM
Oliver!!!

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts
Nope, insurance will only pay for what's messed up. They don't make a business of replacing parts that cost several hundred dollars for no good reason.
Old 11-19-2008, 07:37 AM
Burning Brakes

I'm going to pick mine up after work today. Anxious to see how good they were able to match the paint on my hood and driver side fender.
Old 11-19-2008, 08:27 AM
4th Gear

Good luck, Arctic. Let me know how it looks. I hope they can match the paint on mine too...
Old 11-19-2008, 09:47 AM
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
you'll be fine. Sucks that your new to the area your in. a good friend of mine referred me to a shop that he's been going to when my whip was in an accident.

if the headlights are replaced, I'd ask for them back. My RSX was rear-ended but the bumper was not destroyed, just banged up. Fortunately, the body shop I went to said it need to be replaced anyway. I just asked for the rear bumper back. Funny thing is, my car was backed into at the body shop by the honda parts delivery truck/driver (new driver apparently). drivers side headlight, fender, wheel/tire and front bumper needed to be replaced. The headlight has a broken tab, but it still mounts fine. I got a full spare now (WOOT!, minus the fact its scratched up pretty bad) and i've got a destroyed fender and front bumper sitting in storage. lol