Got my CG MT w/ Navi today!!! Except I don't know how to drive it....

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2006, 01:56 AM
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Got my CG MT w/ Navi today!!! Except I don't know how to drive it....

Finally bought my TSX after months of research and test drives and annoying the hell out of my family and girlfriend about the car. I was going to wait till November/December to get the car for cheaper but couldn't hold myself back any longer. I got the Carbon Grey MT w/ Navi. Deciding between the MT and AT was one tough decision. I don't even know how to drive a MT!! But I don't want to join the "I regret not getting the MT" club . My girlfriend drove the car home and tomorrow she will be teaching me to master MT before work on Monday. Feeling a little nervious...but it should be all good. .

First Impression:
- LOVE the HIDs. I vow to never buy a car without HIDs
- I test drove the AT and felt alot of lag in first and second. Hopefully, it will be better with the MT
- The interior is nice but not as nice as the TL but it's also $5k less so a fair trade-off
- I really wanted a Pearl White but I couldn't find a PWP MT w/navi in Chicago anywhere. Also, a little scared of the color fading and maintaining it so CG is the safer choice in the end.
- Bluetooth is sweeeeeeeeeet
- My asian accent not bonding well with Navi voice commands...haha...

My Deal:
$30,265 OTD w/ all-weather mats from Muller's Acura at Schamburg, IL. Target price was $30,200 w/ mats and wheel locks. Sales manager countered at $30,500. I walked out and went shopping at Woodfield Mall. My sales guy, Chase, called me back an hour today and apologized and said to come back in. Went back and Chase did the numbers to $30,150 OTD. I was very pleased and he went to confirm with the sales manager again. The manager came in and said there were confusions with the numbers and said $30,350 w/mats and wheel locks. I was a little pissed off but also tired as hell and really just want the car. I could have probably gotten it for my target price if I walked out again....but I gave in and told him to take off the wheel locks. Even my sales guy said the manager is an asshole and I shouldn't have taken the deal but I am very happy. If anyone in Chicago is looking for a TSX, talk to Chase at Muller's Acura. Great sales guy. He actually fought for me and tried to get me the deal I want. I was 10 points away from a 710 credit score so I only qualified for 3.9% for 36 months.

Price Breakdown:
$28,100 + $60 doc fees + 7% tax(living in Champaign till August) + $143.00 plates = $30,265 or so

Sorry for the long post but I learned so much from everyone's buying experience and just want to give something back. If anyone has a good tip for a MT beginner, I need all the help I can get =). I did a search and already found 2 very good threads on this. You guys are awesome!!!
Old 04-30-2006, 02:08 AM
Team Owner

Received 105 Likes on 69 Posts
Grats on the purchase! =D

Haha, I'm part of the "I regret getting the AT" club >=]

But I still love every moment of the TSX. =)
Old 04-30-2006, 02:20 AM
Let me help you!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
congrats! From what I gather, only 10% is MT, and 10% of that has navi. I have a 6 MT with navi too. I had several choices to pick from (went to a pretty big dealership...biggest in the region I think). I originally came to get a NBP, but figured it'd be too hard to clean, so I went with CG (I wanted to stick with the darker colors)

Out of all the MT cars I've driven, the TSX is the easiest. My brother just drove my car for the first time today. I thought him how to drive stick on a BMW, and he instantly noticed how much easier the TSX is to drive.

It's cool how your girlfriend knows how to drive stick...not many girls know. Once you learn, you can never forget (I jumped right into my TSX after 9 years of automatic).

Sometimes I wish I had gotten the AT (since the car is sorta intended to be entry-luxury). It's marketed as being sporty though, and boy, the car is so much fun to drive with a stick.

As for some MT tips....

1. When you want to go into reverse, wait until the car is fully stopped before you engage the gear...(ie: don't do it while rolling).

2. While the car is on a flat road, put the car in 1st gear, and very slowly lift the foot on the clutch until the car starts inching forward...that's what I call the "engagement point". Learn how to put your foot into that position quickly. If the pedal is past that point, no amount of gas will propel you forward. If the pedal is before that point, you need to have enough gas flowing or else you'll stall/jerk the car. Once you find the engagement point, you can figure out how much gas you need at that point to prevent the jerkiness. You may even want to give it a little extra gas before you reach the engagement point (as you're lifting your leg).

3. I only use 1st gear when I'm stopped at a light and want to get moving. If I'm rolling at like 2mph or more, I'll just use 2nd gear (like when I want to make a turn, and there are no oncoming cars).

4. Once you're experienced, don't "ride the clutch". IE: Don't rest your foot on the clutch or press it until you actually need to shift...otherwise you'll be wearing out some stuff (I want to say flywheel, but it's been so long since I've been around a MT car, that I'm not sure anymore).

5. When you're coming to a stop, I notice my TSX starts to shudder if the RPM's drop below 1k ...so I either press the clutch or shift into neutral right before the needle hits the "1" on the gauge

Driving a MT isn't hard once you have your feet/legs trained. Basically, if you know how to:
- get moving from a complete stop
- shift between any two gears

Then you'll be fine (stopping is easy if you just want to shift to neutral and coast/brake to a stop)

Once you have the basics, you can start noticing how the engine sounds and what speeds are best at what gears.

After that, you can start learning something advanced like the heel-toe.

By the way, for anyone else who read this far, can the TSX be toe-started? I don't recall reading it in the manual (i've seen other cars' manuals specify how to do it). Just curious...I figure it should be possible with any MT car...

(If you don't know what toe-starting is, it's where you push the car a bit so it's rolling, and then use the engagement point thing to start the engine (automatic's need another car to jump-start them when the battery is dead, but MT's can start themselves if you have room enough to push the car)
Old 04-30-2006, 02:23 AM
Let me help you!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by EuRTSX
Grats on the purchase! =D

Haha, I'm part of the "I regret getting the AT" club >=]

But I still love every moment of the TSX. =)
Yeah, my brother prefers american muscle cars...but he really enjoyed my car...and as a passenger, I noticed how the car aches for a clear road....my brother would stay in the gears longer and bring the RPM's higher, and it made me so glad that I had a MT
Old 04-30-2006, 07:51 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Please let your girlfriend drive the first 500 miles

Congrats !

I have CG MT navi too
Old 04-30-2006, 08:49 AM
no0bIe

Congrats and welcome
Old 04-30-2006, 09:55 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
congrats man
like julyccc said, i would let ur gf or someone with experience with MT cars drive for the first 500-600 miles so u can properly break in the engine

welcome to the club
Old 04-30-2006, 10:06 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Ha! Thanks for that post--I don't feel all alone in the world now. I know exactly how you feel--I just bought a MT and I have "limited" knowledge of stick. Been practicing, but need a lot more practice before driving my $30K vehicle through downtown! I have been feeling sick about it since we bought the thing, but I know that I'd regret getting AT and it's time to learn. Plus guys dig chicks that drive stick.
Old 04-30-2006, 10:31 AM
08 MDX with Sports

Congrat! Yup no-hids no welcome...

g/f teaching you how to drive, props for admitting that on the forum. couple weeks-months down the road you won't even know if your driving 6spd or automagic...
Old 04-30-2006, 10:36 AM
Just dial 1911

Wow...Nothing makes you feel like a real man by having your woman drive your car home for you
Old 04-30-2006, 11:01 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by joerockt
Wow...Nothing makes you feel like a real man by having your woman drive your car home for you
Old 04-30-2006, 11:13 AM
Racer

congrats, awesome price on a MT/NAVI!

Its going to take way more than one weekend to become fluent with a manual transmission. The TSX definitely is easy to drive though when comparing against other manuals.
Old 04-30-2006, 01:32 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by joerockt
haha...yes i know...i felt very incompetent when i had to admit to the sales guy i am looking to buy a MT car that i can't even drive. But my gf is great and willing to teach me with her Saab 9-5. She will be driving my new car till after break-in as some of you suggested. She is a manual car freak and she loves the MT in the TSX. She had to adjust to the clutch in the TSX a little...she said the top is very sensitive unlike her Saab where the bottom is very sensitive...whatever that means...haha.

I can't wait to actually drive MY car but I am loving it already as the passenger . Still think the sales manager screwed me over but it's ok...live and learn. My gf is planning to buy a new car in a year or two, and I learned so much from my first car buying experience.
Old 04-30-2006, 01:38 PM
is cuteness

Originally Posted by ninjamyst
haha...yes i know...i felt very incompetent when i had to admit to the sales guy i am looking to buy a MT car that i can't even drive. But my gf is great and willing to teach me with her Saab 9-5. She will be driving my new car till after break-in as some of you suggested. She is a manual car freak and she loves the MT in the TSX. She had to adjust to the clutch in the TSX a little...she said the top is very sensitive unlike her Saab where the bottom is very sensitive...whatever that means...haha.

I can't wait to actually drive MY car but I am loving it already as the passenger . Still think the sales manager screwed me over but it's ok...live and learn. My gf is planning to buy a new car in a year or two, and I learned so much from my first car buying experience.
congrats ninjamyst on ur purchase! haha its cute how ur gf is teaching u how to drive MT.. usually its the other way around. well good luck and have fun learning!
Old 04-30-2006, 02:20 PM
Have camera, will travel

How often is it the woman teaching the man how to drive a MT? "I got the AT 'cause my BF can't drive a stick." Turn about is fair play.

Congrats on the TSX and the correct choice in transmissions! You'll pick it up in no time.

BTW, that GF is a keeper.
Old 04-30-2006, 06:25 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by SoCaliTrojan
3. I only use 1st gear when I'm stopped at a light and want to get moving. If I'm rolling at like 2mph or more, I'll just use 2nd gear (like when I want to make a turn, and there are no oncoming cars).

4. Once you're experienced, don't "ride the clutch". IE: Don't rest your foot on the clutch or press it until you actually need to shift...otherwise you'll be wearing out some stuff (I want to say flywheel, but it's been so long since I've been around a MT car, that I'm not sure anymore).
3. I don't know about that... Anything below 10 mph will lug the engine in 2nd gear.

4. You'll be wearing the clutch, and release bearing.
Old 04-30-2006, 06:42 PM
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
The only Automatic cars I would buy is a V6 in the Altima or Maxima, torque a plenty makes for the the auto slushbox.
Old 04-30-2006, 07:08 PM
Cruisin'

Congratulations ninjamyst, I just sealed the deal on the same pakage today and will post the deatails in the Canadian prices section after I take delivery in the next week. The 6MT is an excellent decision for this vehicle.

The above advice is spot on and the only thing I will add is "DO NOT" and I stress "DO NOT" lug the vehicle. Keep your revs up when launching without going crazy and the driveline will thank you. Due to low torque an I4 will not stand up to starting and shifting otherwise. Learn to listen and feel the engine response rather than relying on the tach for driving and you should have no trouble.

I have owned and been influential in the purchase of a number of Hondas over the years, all manuals. Honda manufactures one of the best sticks out there, only an arguable second to BMW. Both of these manufacturers cut their teeth in the motorcycle business and it shows in the engineering.
Old 04-30-2006, 08:37 PM
Instructor

Thumbs up

TSX is my first manual...I learnt to drive the car by reading on the internet regarding the tips and don'ts on driving the stick.

But hey after 1 week, I have gained a lot of confidence with her...I know when she will stal..and at what speed.... Enjoy the car.
Old 04-30-2006, 08:50 PM
No-navi, yo

congrat., Ninja! It's more than the new car -- you must have a very good relationship with your girlfriend if you are learning from her to drive a MT.

There used to be a lot of people on this forum who are learning to drive manuals for the first time on their brand new TSXs, myself included. For some odd reason or coincident, I haven't seen any MT newbies here since 2006 became avaiable. Anyway, do a search you will be able to find many good instructions and suggestions. Enjoy!

Yes, many TSX drivers "heel-toe" ; and a number of TSX drivers never shifted into 1st gear (stayed in 2nd) through a stop sign
Old 04-30-2006, 09:04 PM
No-navi, yo

(If you don't know what toe-starting is, it's where you push the car a bit so it's rolling, and then use the engagement point thing to start the engine (automatic's need another car to jump-start them when the battery is dead, but MT's can start themselves if you have room enough to push the car)
Hummm... this is first time I heard it as "toe-start"... I always know it as "push start"... I guess I learned something new. I am sure like a typical MT, TSX can do it, even though I don't recall any one did it.
Old 04-30-2006, 09:37 PM
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
haha...yes i know...i felt very incompetent when i had to admit to the sales guy i am looking to buy a MT car that i can't even drive. But my gf is great and willing to teach me with her Saab 9-5.
it's cool. don't sweat it...

have fun with the car.
Old 05-01-2006, 12:51 AM
Pro

Just an update guys.....

I spent about 2.5 hours learning on my gf's Saab and only stalled a few times. Once the car is rolling, I had no troube at all. Even at a complete stop, I can slowly get out of first but with a little jolt sometimes. The few times I stalled was when my gf made me only use 1st to 2nd then complete stop then 1st to 2nd and repeat. Later that night, I took her Saab and drove 130 miles back to Champaign from Chicago. Stalled only once =) when on local. I was really worried about inclines when coming off the ramp on the highway but luckily for me, there were no cars and the light was green. I really love rolling from 2nd to 3rd to 4th...so smooth....but still getting owned by 1st gear. No regrets at all getting the manual. I still have alot of questions and confusions about driving manual but I will do my research first before asking you guys. Love the car!!!! Can't wait till I can actually drive it

Originally Posted by waTSX
BTW, that GF is a keeper.
Yup, she's the best...letting me learn on her Saab and being very patient with me.
Old 05-01-2006, 04:47 AM
Driver/Detailer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Congrats on your new car and also your perseverance in wanting to drive stick. Here's a tip for inclines. Learn the handbrake hill start as soon as you master 1st gear take off from standstill. This way, inclines won't be daunting anymore. A driver comfortable with the road conditions is a safe driver too!
Old 05-01-2006, 04:50 AM
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I am in that "I wish i got the MT" club...
Old 05-01-2006, 07:05 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 361 Likes on 316 Posts
Congrats on your TSX purchase And welcome to AZ!! I had to teach my wife to drive manual. It takes a bit of patience. Sounds like you have one hell of a girl there. Have fun and again, welcome....
Old 05-01-2006, 10:02 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Benz_05_TSX
it's been mentioned that the ss mode is very fun too...

i've never tried it though...
Old 05-01-2006, 10:04 AM
Drifting

http://www.standardshift.com/
Old 05-01-2006, 11:14 AM
Pro

By the way, for anyone else who read this far, can the TSX be toe-started? I don't recall reading it in the manual (i've seen other cars' manuals specify how to do it). Just curious...I figure it should be possible with any MT car...

To the best of my knowledge, no fuel injected car can be started like that.

Ninjamyst...Aaaargh! you got my car!! (j/k)
2.5 months down, 4-6 weeks to go!
My left leg is aching for some clutch action!
Old 05-01-2006, 11:20 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by aaronng
Congrats on your new car and also your perseverance in wanting to drive stick. Here's a tip for inclines. Learn the handbrake hill start as soon as you master 1st gear take off from standstill. This way, inclines won't be daunting anymore. A driver comfortable with the road conditions is a safe driver too!

There is no need for handbrake for hill start.

I usually let the clutch go a little bit first before i release the break.

it's all about timing
Old 05-01-2006, 11:27 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by julyccc

it's all about timing

once you learn heel/toe, you can apply that technique to starting on an incline .
Old 05-01-2006, 12:31 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by DLTSX6MT

hehe....there are about 6 or 7 Acura dealers here in Chicago and about half of them are stocked with MT TSX w/navi. I had my pick of Artic Blue, Carbon Grey, Silver Metallic, and Black. Starting to regret getting the Carbon Grey. All my friends question why I got the "boring" and "old people" color. *sigh*.....still dreaming of that PWP.....
Old 05-01-2006, 12:36 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Benz_05_TSX
I'm in the "I wish I had enough balls to learn MT before I settled on an AT TSX" club.
Old 05-01-2006, 02:59 PM
08 MDX with Sports

That means TSX has high engagment point not like german cars.. You know usually JDM VS German its total opposite look at where thoses guys have the reverse gear..
Old 05-01-2006, 08:04 PM
Cruisin'

Starting to regret getting the Carbon Grey. All my friends question why I got the "boring" and "old people" color. *sigh*.....still dreaming of that PWP.....
You won't regret the color choice when you are driving around Chicago in the middle of winter and not having to wash it every day. Although, I agree it is an "old people" color. LOL
Old 05-02-2006, 08:01 PM
Advanced

This is not quite the case. The TSX along with other manuals can be push started as long as there is some gasoline still available in the engine to get it going (obviously, the ignition switch needs to be in the "on" position). However, if you have a completely dead battery, this will be more difficult when considering the power required for the ECU etc. I am sure DBW complicates this even further. I have successfully push started both a fuel injected Nissan Maxima and a VW Passat. I tried it on my TSX and that too started up without any difficulty. The TSX had a warm engine that had just run....so it didn't take any effort. If it were to sit overnight, I don't know if it would have started up. Probably not going to try it unless I had to......
Old 05-02-2006, 09:24 PM
Driver/Detailer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by julyccc

it's all about timing
He's new to MT! He should learn the handbrake start first before the hill clutch start.

once you learn heel/toe, you can apply that technique to starting on an incline .
Uh, he's new. He doesn't have confidence on a highway ramp incline. I don't expect him to know heel-toe at this level.
Old 05-02-2006, 09:55 PM
Instructor

Good for you and congrats! Don't make too much of a big deal about the MT, it's easy and it'll be old hat in no time I let my then 12 yo son take my 5MT Impreza around an empty parking lot and he didn't even stall it once.
Again, congrats and enjoy!
Old 05-02-2006, 10:05 PM
Burning Brakes

Hey ninjamyst dun worry, no1 know how to drive stick in the first place doesn't matter man & gal. You are way honest than those guy that dunno how to drive stick but pretent to know. The stick on TSX is one of the best in the market and sure you will enjoy it.
Old 05-02-2006, 10:20 PM
Advanced

Man, I got the only 6MT on the lot, and no-navi either. Greensboro SUCKS!

Quick Reply: Got my CG MT w/ Navi today!!! Except I don't know how to drive it....