Got a build date

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2006, 02:38 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Got a build date

Ordered my DGP/auto/navi in mid-December and today got a build date of 2/14 from my dealer - Valentines day!

So... six to eight weeks later I should be joining the ranks of happy TSX owners. Gonna be a long couple of months...
Old 01-25-2006, 02:54 PM
6MT or Death

Congratulations. The waiting period isn't pleasant but it gives you plenty of time to troll the forums, learn more about the car, and makes getting the car all the better.
Old 01-25-2006, 03:15 PM
Luke 1:37

You're almost there. Not too long now. It'll be ready for Spring
Old 01-25-2006, 03:19 PM
My Garage

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
congrats
Old 01-25-2006, 03:20 PM
My Garage

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by virtualbong
He has plenty of time to buy his mods before getting the car now, sounds like someone else around here
Old 01-25-2006, 04:29 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by virtualbong
Yup! Putting aside my natural impatience, there are a couple of big financial advantages to the wait:

1) I'll be a bit less upside down in the !@#$%^&* POS Saab I'll be trading in on my new Acura, and

2) I won't have to invest in a set of winter tires and rims until next Fall
Old 01-25-2006, 04:40 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by DaleC
Ordered my DGP/auto/navi in mid-December and today got a build date of 2/14 from my dealer - Valentines day!

So... six to eight weeks later I should be joining the ranks of happy TSX owners. Gonna be a long couple of months...
So wait... Is that normal for the build date to be 2 mo after the order date? And for you to receive the car 2 mo after that?

I'm curious because I ordered mine first week of Dec. I haven't received a build date yet, but my salesman didn't exactly give me the impression he was on top of things. My understanding was that it would be approx 3 mo after ordering. Your situation sounds like it will be closer to 4 mo. What did your dealer tell you when ordering?
Old 01-25-2006, 05:46 PM
Pink as a pistol

Congrats on the purchase!
Old 01-25-2006, 06:37 PM
Burning Brakes

i dont know how long it takes to order because i know mine was built on the 17th and i was told it will be in colorado around the 20th
Old 01-26-2006, 06:37 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by smite
So wait... Is that normal for the build date to be 2 mo after the order date? And for you to receive the car 2 mo after that?

I'm curious because I ordered mine first week of Dec. I haven't received a build date yet, but my salesman didn't exactly give me the impression he was on top of things. My understanding was that it would be approx 3 mo after ordering. Your situation sounds like it will be closer to 4 mo. What did your dealer tell you when ordering?
Can't comment on what's "normal" but here's the way my purchase played out. I signed the papers to buy in mid-December (12/12), at which time the dealer said he'd try and do an "electronic swap" for a car already in the pipeline and should be able to get what I wanted in a few weeks. He called back the following Monday (12/19) to say they hadn't been able to pull off the swap, so were adding my car to their next order - scheduled for delivery in "mid-March." That would have been 3 months from the date of order.

If this new timetable holds true, it'll be more like 3 1/2 to 4 months from the date of order. We'll see.

My experience may not be typical, as my dealer is a relatively small one (Apple Acura in York, PA). Not sure what determines this (total number of cars sold?) but he's on allocation and only gets two TSX's a month... so his "pipeline" may be a tad bit longer than the norm.
Old 01-26-2006, 08:17 AM
Still Lovin my 06

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Can't comment on what's "normal" but here's the way my purchase played out. I signed the papers to buy in mid-December (12/12), at which time the dealer said he'd try and do an "electronic swap" for a car already in the pipeline and should be able to get what I wanted in a few weeks. He called back the following Monday (12/19) to say they hadn't been able to pull off the swap, so were adding my car to their next order - scheduled for delivery in "mid-March." That would have been 3 months from the date of order.

If this new timetable holds true, it'll be more like 3 1/2 to 4 months from the date of order. We'll see.

My experience may not be typical, as my dealer is a relatively small one (Apple Acura in York, PA). Not sure what determines this (total number of cars sold?) but he's on allocation and only gets two TSX's a month... so his "pipeline" may be a tad bit longer than the norm.
ouch. long wait. why not check out the MD dealers? you're pretty close.
Old 01-26-2006, 08:17 AM
7th Gear

I ordered mine on December 20th and got a build date of yesterday 1/25. I don't have an official delivery but was told to expect end of Feb. So in my case, I'm looking at 2 months from time of order.
FYI.
Old 01-26-2006, 08:33 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by bradykp
ouch. long wait. why not check out the MD dealers? you're pretty close.
I thought about that... and may yet if my crappy Saab needs to go into the shop one more time before I can trade it. Trouble is my daughter-in-law (who also lives in PA) bought a car in MD and it was a real PITA to get it inspected and tagged, not to mention getting the sales tax straightened out. It could be that her particular dealer just wasn't set up to do a cross-state sale... but I'm leery.

One advantage of buying in PA... you only pay sales tax on the difference between the cost of the new car and the value of your trade - the trade is taken as a "discount" off the price of the new car. In MD you pay tax on the full sales price of the new vehicle. Makes a difference, especially if you've got something of value to trade.
Old 01-26-2006, 08:39 AM
Burning Brakes

one thing to keep in mind is your location to the port of LA on the west coast. i am not 100% sure but i believe that all the TSX's come to the US through that port. so if the car has to be trucked all the way across the US or even on rails im sure that would add close to a week to the arrival time.
Old 01-26-2006, 08:46 AM
Yui
Pro

I thought you bought through Acura of Tempe? Tucson Acura located the car I wanted for me, and it's already in. What combination did you request? I'm starting to see TSX's stock up at the various dealers in AZ, surprised that you don't even have a build date...
Old 01-26-2006, 09:30 AM
Benchwarmer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
From what I understand, the dealers have a 2-3 day window each month to order, so if you ask for a car to be ordered, it may be as long as 25 days before it is actually ordered from Japan. The build date could be as long as 2 months after the order date, and from there about 45 days until it reaches the dealer. If you order a car, no color combination is any different than any other. However, they will designate a large block of time for 5AT's before switching to a small block of 6MT's, so if you want a manual, you might again get unlucky and have to wait.
Old 01-26-2006, 09:55 AM
Still Lovin my 06

I thought about that... and may yet if my crappy Saab needs to go into the shop one more time before I can trade it. Trouble is my daughter-in-law (who also lives in PA) bought a car in MD and it was a real PITA to get it inspected and tagged, not to mention getting the sales tax straightened out. It could be that her particular dealer just wasn't set up to do a cross-state sale... but I'm leery.

One advantage of buying in PA... you only pay sales tax on the difference between the cost of the new car and the value of your trade - the trade is taken as a "discount" off the price of the new car. In MD you pay tax on the full sales price of the new vehicle. Makes a difference, especially if you've got something of value to trade.
Her dealer was a bafoon. I bought a car in NJ, it's registered in PA. the dealer did it all. It's just a matter of sending in the paperwork. And no matter where you buy the car, you follow PA's tax rules, since that's the state you register in. So that should be able to be straightened out as well! check into it if you get antsy! i did!
Old 01-26-2006, 10:20 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Bass Mechanic
one thing to keep in mind is your location to the port of LA on the west coast. i am not 100% sure but i believe that all the TSX's come to the US through that port. so if the car has to be trucked all the way across the US or even on rails im sure that would add close to a week to the arrival time.
East Coast deliveries come up through the Panama Canal, so that certainly adds to the delivery time... not sure how they get from one coast to the central US, presumably by rail?
Old 01-26-2006, 10:23 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by t_in_maine
East Coast deliveries come up through the Panama Canal, so that certainly adds to the delivery time... not sure how they get from one coast to the central US, presumably by rail?
Acutally all the cars come into California and hop a train to various distribution centers and then trucks to various dealerships. I've never heard of a TSX coming through the Panama Canel.
Old 01-26-2006, 10:33 AM
Still Lovin my 06

i think my car ported in baltimore, md. i'll check the window sticker tonight.
Old 01-26-2006, 11:44 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by bradykp
Her dealer was a bafoon. I bought a car in NJ, it's registered in PA. the dealer did it all. It's just a matter of sending in the paperwork. And no matter where you buy the car, you follow PA's tax rules, since that's the state you register in. So that should be able to be straightened out as well! check into it if you get antsy! i did!
Well... her dealer was Fox Chevrolet in Baltimore, so I can't argue with the bafoon comment :-)

I'll definitely check it out.
Old 01-26-2006, 12:10 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Yui
I thought you bought through Acura of Tempe? Tucson Acura located the car I wanted for me, and it's already in. What combination did you request? I'm starting to see TSX's stock up at the various dealers in AZ, surprised that you don't even have a build date...
I ordered through Acura of Tempe - CGP/Eb 6mt Navi. Dealer was to put their order in 12/9. Dealer just said that my prod date is 2/23. That sounds pretty late, but as one poster said, they only build 6mt together in a small block of time. I guess I got unlucky.
Old 01-29-2006, 07:32 AM
Intermediate

Well...

I checked with my nearest Maryland dealer... Frankel Acura in Cockeysville. They've got 20-some TSX's in stock, though not in the color and configuration I'm looking for, but they can get one. Figured with that kind of "trading power" they might be able to hook me up before April which is when the one I've got on order is due.

Trouble is, they can't come close to the deal I got up here in PA. They sell the cars for a bit less, but were much lower on my trade. When I showed the sales guy my signed sales order he said he hadn't told anybody this in years, but I should stop shopping around and take the deal!

Guess I'll just hold out until Spring... good time to pick up a new ride anyway
Old 01-29-2006, 09:02 AM
Yui
Pro

I ordered through Acura of Tempe - CGP/Eb 6mt Navi. Dealer was to put their order in 12/9. Dealer just said that my prod date is 2/23. That sounds pretty late, but as one poster said, they only build 6mt together in a small block of time. I guess I got unlucky.
CGP/Ebony 6mt/Navi was on the list my dealer was *possibly* able to acquire from another dealer for me. It doesn't sound like they tried hard enough for ya... pity, cause I really enjoy their service department.
Old 01-29-2006, 10:55 AM
Nate

I was able to snag an order that was supposed to go to another dealer in my area for a balck on black 6MT w/ Navi. Put $$$ down on the 20th of Jan, got a build date of 30th and should take delivery in about 6 weeks.... waiting sucks.
Old 01-29-2006, 02:04 PM
Three Wheelin'

does anyone own a DGP yet,

any pics?
Old 01-30-2006, 07:42 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by moda_way
Acutally all the cars come into California and hop a train to various distribution centers and then trucks to various dealerships. I've never heard of a TSX coming through the Panama Canel.
Well, just going by what my Boston dealership told me. Don't know what purpose he would have to mislead me?
Old 01-30-2006, 08:31 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Well, just going by what my Boston dealership told me. Don't know what purpose he would have to mislead me?

Not saying you are wrong, it would just be a change from how they were doing it in 2003 and 2004 from what I knew about.

BTW, out of interest, ever heard of Gorham, ME? That is my birthplace.
Old 01-30-2006, 09:09 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by moda_way
Not saying you are wrong, it would just be a change from how they were doing it in 2003 and 2004 from what I knew about.

BTW, out of interest, ever heard of Gorham, ME? That is my birthplace.
Absolutely heard of Gorham; near Portland/Augusta area. That's about 4 hours south of where I am.