Good Price?

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2005, 05:53 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good Price?

Hey guys. Great forum you've got here. I've been lurking here for the past 7 or 8 months as I've gone back and forth on whether to upgrade my 03 Accord EXL to an 05 TSX NAVI... you guys nearly have me convinced.

In any case, I am just back from the dealer after my test drive. I've decided to use my bank's negotiating service to do the haggling for me. Here's the deal, 28K for the car. Final OTD, including trunk tray, wheel locks, and all weather floor mats, tax, title, etc is roughly 29.5. What do you think? Personally, I was hoping for < 29 OTD, but am I asking too much? I am planning to go back in and talk to the sales guy tomorrow AM.

BTW, this is a NBP/Ebony AT Nav that the dealer doesn't have in stock, but expects "momentarily", and no later than Fri 7/22.
Old 07-15-2005, 06:06 PM
Professional SLACKER

The price is ok. Someone got it for $29k OTD. There's a thread that discuss this issue. Good luck with your venture.
Old 07-15-2005, 06:08 PM
Racer

Depends on where you're from if that's a good price or not OTD. Taxes are a bitch in CA. I had the same price for the car, 28k. But my OTD was quite a bit higher (I also added on the bodykit)
Old 07-15-2005, 06:13 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by mgoblu
Hey guys. Great forum you've got here. I've been lurking here for the past 7 or 8 months as I've gone back and forth on whether to upgrade my 03 Accord EXL to an 05 TSX NAVI... you guys nearly have me convinced.

In any case, I am just back from the dealer after my test drive. I've decided to use my bank's negotiating service to do the haggling for me. Here's the deal, 28K for the car. Final OTD, including trunk tray, wheel locks, and all weather floor mats, tax, title, etc is roughly 29.5. What do you think? Personally, I was hoping for < 29 OTD, but am I asking too much? I am planning to go back in and talk to the sales guy tomorrow AM.

BTW, this is a NBP/Ebony AT Nav that the dealer doesn't have in stock, but expects "momentarily", and no later than Fri 7/22.
great choice thats the same type I have except 04
Old 07-15-2005, 06:22 PM
7th Gear

I got the same deal, $28K before TTL. With NJ sales tax it came out ~30K OTD.
Old 07-15-2005, 07:56 PM
Burning Brakes

yah it's regular deal

29OTD would be a really good deal....depend on where you live tho
CA's price is usually lower
Old 07-15-2005, 08:55 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by kyotousa
yah it's regular deal

29OTD would be a really good deal....depend on where you live tho
CA's price is usually lower
True... but I paid a premium on like the only 6MT/Navi in CA at the time almost. hehe.
Old 07-15-2005, 10:52 PM
Advanced

Thanks for all the replies guys. Yeah, I figured what I was getting was pretty regular. I live in the DC area (NoVA). State tax here is 3.5% i think for new cars, so not as bad as elsewhere, but I am really holding out for 29OTD, which I think sounds like it would be a good deal. If they won't budge, I think I may walk. Something about being more than 29, especially since others have been able to get that price.

Ah well, time to catch some z's...
Old 07-18-2005, 12:24 AM
Satisfied customer

If it makes you feel any better, I also paid $28,000 +TTL for my TSX w/navi just yesterday in Milwaukee, WI. You just have to worry about the price for the car, nothing you can do about taxes. I also had a trade-in that I got $20,500 for (2000 BMW M Roadster), so that helped reduce my tax quite a bit.
Old 07-18-2005, 01:05 AM
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Me too. I paid $28k + ttl. The dealership was actually going to knock a couple of hundred off of MSRP. So what i did was i found 2 more buyers and we got together and they knocked it down to $28k. Trust me, i tried all of the other dealers around town. Nobody was willing to knock their pricing down below a couple of hundred off of MSRP.
Old 07-18-2005, 09:01 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by mgoblu
Thanks for all the replies guys. Yeah, I figured what I was getting was pretty regular. I live in the DC area (NoVA). State tax here is 3.5% i think for new cars, so not as bad as elsewhere, but I am really holding out for 29OTD, which I think sounds like it would be a good deal. If they won't budge, I think I may walk. Something about being more than 29, especially since others have been able to get that price.

Ah well, time to catch some z's...

Paid 25,900 for non-nav with similar extras at Chevy Chase Acura in Bethesda. So your deal is basically the same is mine, since the nav price is 2 grand above the non-nav. But Maryland tax is 5%.
Old 07-18-2005, 09:07 AM
Advanced

Nice! Well that makes me feel even better then, b/c that dealer let me walk. He was a prick about it too, tried to tell me it was a "one of a kind" car and that they'd call me when it came in but that i would "probably be bidding against others" for it, and "you don't have any idea what kind of a deal this is." I just told him that actually, I know it's a decent deal, but I also know there have been better, so no problem, I'll keep looking. Now I have a deal for 29OTD (27.8 for the tsx) from another dealer.

Was it worth all that for a few hundred bucks? Absolutely. The place I'm now getting it from was top-notch, very professional, treated me with the respect I was expecting, and never tried to pressure me into anything. Plus, I did this all over the phone/email, never set foot in the dealership. Very pleasant experience.

BTW, it's scheduled to arrive today and I'll hopefully be driving it home tomorrow.
Old 07-20-2005, 04:29 PM
RX8
Intermediate

How big is the "Documentation Fee" or "Advertising Fee" that your dealers are charging? The two Acura dealers I've talked to so far are charging $398 for this! Of course it's "not negotiable," but to me it's just extra profit they're tacking onto the price, like underbody rust coatings & whatnot. So, I include the $398 to account for these "fees" when I look at prices. Anyone else?
Old 07-20-2005, 10:04 PM
Advanced

The dealer I'm getting my TSX from charges 95 for their doc fee.
Old 07-21-2005, 09:21 AM
Satisfied customer

My dealership charged me like $85 for the doc fee.
Old 07-21-2005, 10:06 AM
Instructor

I bought a TSX in Auburn, MA from Mark Rosa at Acura of Auburn last weekend.

2005 CGP/Ebony - 6MT / NAVI
+ Destination
+ Advertising fees ($200, non-negotiable) = $27813 before options...

I then added A-Spec suspension, wheel locks, foglights, trunk tray, full bodykit, all season mats.

Documentation fees were extra at $139. This is actually part of the form, it's not a handwritten #.. it's non-negotiable.

Tax/Title/Reg are all extra... MA has 5% sales tax..

They didn't have the car (I bought it Saturday) but found me one on Tuesday. I also got the Kelley Blue Book trade-in value for my car... so I didn't get beat up on it...
Old 07-21-2005, 04:11 PM
RX8
Intermediate

So, dmbfan, let me understand: your dealer had $200+$139=$339 in "fees" that you had to pay, right?

That's still better than the $398 at my local dealers (they all seem to collude on this), but that $85-$95 is much easier to swallow.

My dealer is offering $28,400 (including fees) + TTL as their best price for a 6MT/Navi. Oh, that includes add-ons like a trunk tray, wheel locks, and mud flaps, all of which I could care less about. And, again, all of the local dealers put this stuff on as soon as the cars come in. Not exactly a screaming deal from what I've seen here. I'm now looking around at dealers farther away.
Old 07-21-2005, 04:57 PM
I'm a llama :(

Originally Posted by RX8
So, dmbfan, let me understand: your dealer had $200+$139=$339 in "fees" that you had to pay, right?

That's still better than the $398 at my local dealers (they all seem to collude on this), but that $85-$95 is much easier to swallow.

My dealer is offering $28,400 (including fees) + TTL as their best price for a 6MT/Navi. Oh, that includes add-ons like a trunk tray, wheel locks, and mud flaps, all of which I could care less about. And, again, all of the local dealers put this stuff on as soon as the cars come in. Not exactly a screaming deal from what I've seen here. I'm now looking around at dealers farther away.
You in Portland, OR? Cause that sounds like the "Northwest Protection Package." And that sounds like the price I was quoted over at Acura of Portland.
Old 07-22-2005, 01:55 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by RX8
Yeah when they quoted me their invoice on the car it was $200 over factory invoice. I questioned it and was told that all Acura dealers in New England are in some advertising deal and that all of the dealerships up here charge $200/car for it and it's non-negotiable. The $139 in doc fees is pretty standard... it covers them going to the registry, getting my new plates, turning in my old ones, faxing all the info to my insurance company so that they can cancel my old policy.... yada yada.. in the end I just show up and give them my old car/keys and get the new one... end of story.. I don't have to go and get an inspection or anything.... I could've argued the $200 more I guess, but I mentioned the "Advertising Fees" so many times that the sales manager got annoyed... In the end the Sales Manager, Parts Manager and Service Manager were all involed on my deal because I was pushing so hard squeezing every last red cent out of them that I could....... so I'm happy :-).... The only thing I wish is that I could've gotten the car in Arctic Blue Pearl... it wasn't available anywhere around here with 6MT & NAV... so I settled on Carbon Grey which isn't bad either:-).....

Originally Posted by RX8
My dealer is offering $28,400 (including fees) + TTL as their best price for a 6MT/Navi. Oh, that includes add-ons like a trunk tray, wheel locks, and mud flaps, all of which I could care less about.
I paid an additional $99 for the trunk tray and $39 for the wheel locks. I also added the A-Spec suspension, All Season Mats, Foglights and Full bodykit. The $27813 doesn't include any of those. So I'd say your $28.4K isn't bad....
Old 07-22-2005, 09:45 AM
RX8
Intermediate

Motohip: I don't want to say where I am yet in case the dealers are reading this, too, but it's not Oregon
Old 07-24-2005, 09:41 PM
3rd Gear

I'm 56 and just purchased my first Acura TSX, Carbon Grey, ebony interior, without nav for $26,300 OTD. I decided on the 5 sp auto - sorry guys - I'm tired of all that shifting and I 'd rather have my hand on my lady. I purchased it in Augusta Georgia. I love the car. Great price for a great car. I negotiated with three dealers over the phone over a two hour period - it was crazy.... but a great way to deal however two dealers are not happy with me. The price also included trunk tray, wheel locks and mud guards. Oh, I put down $8K and the dealer wanted to finance it for 4.5%.
Old 07-25-2005, 08:02 AM
RX8
Intermediate

That 4.5% is a good rate... I probably could have done better than my 4.99 rate, but I plan to pay it off within a few months. The most shopping I did for rates was Capital One auto finance, my local bank's posted "best" rates, my local credit union, and the dealer. Since the dealer gave me my car for $117 over invoice (plus that $398 "documentation fee" and $159 for wheel locks+trunk tray+mud guards), I gave them the financing so they can make a few extra $ (hopefully the salesman sees some of it). So, there's now a nice shiny new carbon grey/ebony/navi/6MT sitting in my driveway. It had 8 miles on it when I took delivery, so I'm really babying it for now. Oh, and CarMax gave me $2K more for my trade-in than the dealer, so that made my day.

I'd post pics of the TSX, but honestly, it looks just like every other stock carbon grey TSX
Old 07-25-2005, 05:36 PM
Advanced

Here she is!

Well guys, I've joined the club. Just picked her up this morning and have been driving around/learning the nav for most of the afternoon. I got my TSX at Chevy Chase Acura in Bethesda, MD. Excellent customer service.

This is a NBP/EB/NAV/5AT. I got (I feel) a great deal, under 29K OTD, including wheel locks, mud flaps, trunk tray, and all-weather mats, tax, title, registration, etc.

Here's a pic, with more to come soon.