Good halogen headlights?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2006, 12:24 AM
Pro

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Good halogen headlights?

I was thinking of getting an HID kit since unfortunately U.S. Accords don't come with them stock but then I've read all this controversy about plug-and-play HID kits not working with reflector-based headlights. Anyway, since I don't want to buy cheesy projector headlights or eBay or get an expensive retrofit, what are some good halogen alternatives? Silverstars are supposed to be good but burn out too quick...any other suggestions? I'm just looking for bright, clean lights with a noticable blue tint like HIDs.

Thanks,
Slats
Old 01-02-2006, 03:14 AM
Beauty is a curse...

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by slats
I was thinking of getting an HID kit since unfortunately U.S. Accords don't come with them stock but then I've read all this controversy about plug-and-play HID kits not working with reflector-based headlights. Anyway, since I don't want to buy cheesy projector headlights or eBay or get an expensive retrofit, what are some good halogen alternatives? Silverstars are supposed to be good but burn out too quick...any other suggestions? I'm just looking for bright, clean lights with a noticable blue tint like HIDs.

Thanks,
Slats
Nokya designed a high wattage bulb that is very bright and displays a crisp white w/a hint of blue. You'll need to upgrade your wiring harness to prevent it from burning out.

You could also retrofit an HID kit into your housing. www.hidplanet.com for more details
Old 01-02-2006, 11:00 AM
Pro

Well, I don't want a retrofit--too expensive and I like the OEM headlight units. I'll look into the nokya-thanks.
Old 01-02-2006, 12:19 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by Nismotic
Nokya designed a high wattage bulb that is very bright and displays a crisp white w/a hint of blue. You'll need to upgrade your wiring harness to prevent it from burning out.

You could also retrofit an HID kit into your housing. www.hidplanet.com for more details
Would a higher wattage bulb also burn hotter --- I would worry about it fogging the headlamp housing if it is too hot.
Old 01-02-2006, 12:32 PM
STi'd

higher wattage bulbs will fry your wiring harnesses. I speak from experience!

On another note, I strongly suggest you reconsider hid retrofits. I had a kit on my 00 accord and while the reflector housings sprayed the light everywhere, it was great for visibility, not to mention it looked oem. Compared to what I paid 4 years ago, retrofit kits are a bargain and so much more reliable today.
Old 01-04-2006, 12:46 AM
Pro

How much?
Old 02-03-2006, 06:12 PM
Por Favor?

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
See if philips makes the Vision-Plus bulb in the type you need. Theyre basically clear bulbs but have a blue band around the top that throws off blue/purple twinkles at certain angles.
Old 02-03-2006, 06:24 PM
Slippy maybe...

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Brandon24pdx
See if philips makes the Vision-Plus bulb in the type you need. Theyre basically clear bulbs but have a blue band around the top that throws off blue/purple twinkles at certain angles.
I imported a set of Philips VisionPlus bulbs from the UK when I had my Civic. They were excellent bulbs. They're not coated blue or anything (thank goodness), but do have that blue band that Brandon24pdx mentioned. Apparently the bulbs are manufactured to higher standards which is part of the reason they throw off better light. I definitely noticed a difference compared to a standard bulb.
Old 02-03-2006, 06:38 PM
TSX Sold! Hello STi!

Try some Hoen bulbs... they're very popular with the Audi/VW crowd for matching the OEM fogs to the OEM HID headlights, but they come in all bulb sizes/types, and at OEM wattages too. I think USDM Accords use 9006 for the low beam, and 9005 for the high beam --- at least, that's what I remember they were on my 2002 Accord EXV6. I have a set of Hoen Xenomatch bulbs for the fogs on my TSX. They're practically a dead-on match for the HID headlamps... very pure white, with just a very subtle hint of blue hue (unlike some of the cheap "HID-like" halogen bulbs on the market). Check out their website...

www.hoen-usa.com
Old 02-04-2006, 08:55 AM
Drives With Hands

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by gavinn58
higher wattage bulbs will fry your wiring harnesses. I speak from experience!

On another note, I strongly suggest you reconsider hid retrofits. I had a kit on my 00 accord and while the reflector housings sprayed the light everywhere, it was great for visibility, not to mention it looked oem. Compared to what I paid 4 years ago, retrofit kits are a bargain and so much more reliable today.
I bet it sprayed light into the eyes of other drivers, too.

Installing HID kits into reflector headlamps designed for halogen bulbs is an unqualified mistake. By changing the position of the light source ever-so-minutely you are changing the way the headlight projects its beam dramatically. There is a reason why these things aren't DOT-approved, and why cops everywhere will ticket you if it's obvious you're running something that isn't factory-spec, which is patently obvious when the bulbs you're using are that retina-burning ricer blue.

If you're really up for it, buy some projector headlights (if available) that use HID bulbs and do it the right way. Expensive, but the best solution you can find. Since that seems to be outside of your price range, try some of the halogens out there but be advised: the blue tinting decreases bulb life because it decreases light output by filtering out some of the yellow tint, forcing the manufacturers to overdrive the filament in order to bring the bulb back up to its requisite output level. There really isn't any "good" way to get the HID look without getting HID projectors...which, in all likelihood, are probably available for the Accord.