Getting out of a speeding ticket

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2005, 05:11 AM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Getting out of a speeding ticket

So a couple of weeks ago I was driving in Virginia and I got pulled over along with 2 other people on HWY 58 which connects 64 and I-95. So anyways I was so upset that they pulled me over while I was flowing with traffic...va cops suck. Anyways I want to find a way to get out of the ticket without hiring a lawyer. So far the only sensible and feasible way to get out is to mess with the spedometer. I am thinking about pulling out the harness behind but I cant seem to figure out how to get back there. Does anyone know how to disable the spedometer or get behind the guages? After I figure this out I will take it to Acura and certify that it's broken and I guess I will take it to court on my court date. So my question to ya'll is....is this a good idea? anyone have any other ideas? let me know thanks
Old 05-29-2005, 05:47 AM
The Village Idiot

Hi there,

In my opinion, I think messing with your speedometer would be too much trouble. The only thing I would suggest is to take responsibility for your actions. Flow of traffic or not, speeding is speeding. I know you're unhappy, because you feel that you were singled out, but you still broke the law. I know this is not what you're looking for, but perhaps the other members here can help you. Good luck!
Old 05-29-2005, 06:05 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
If you disabled your speedo (which could be done by simply pulling the fuse), the judge might still laugh at you and even fine you for having such an non-functionnal equipment. At the very least she'd tell you to get it repaired, that ignorance is not a defense.
Old 05-29-2005, 08:03 AM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hmmm, screw around with your car and potentially break something that the dealer will charge you $80/hr to fix or pay the ticket- honestly dude, take some responsibility here and pay the ticket. You basically acknowledged you were speeding so regardless of whether you were 'with traffic' or not so you were in the wrong.
Old 05-29-2005, 08:46 AM
send me a link to JDM??

yeah, unless you are gonna have you license suspended for 2 more points I would suggest to just take the ticket. I mean, if its the fine, you are gonna have to pay Acura anyway. I dont know what state you are from but you might not get points for an out of state ticket anyway, alot of the time out of states won't affect your insurance. Good luck!
Old 05-29-2005, 09:22 AM
3rd Gear

I'm not too sure how your laws work, but in Ontario, Canada, if caught speeding, we are allowed to challenge the alleged infraction in court, duh. However, we are allowed to, occording to the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms, obtain all evidence (disclosure) that will be used against the defendant (ie. you), including the officer's notes, witness testimony, etc. We are also allowed to obtain public records (discovery) which include officer's training, radar gun information (serial numbers, model, etc.) calibration records of the gun, etc.

The idea is to challenge the evidence of the crown (the police) and if you can do that, you can get your ticket thrown out if you are sucessful. I know a lot of people that have fought tickets and have had them thrown out because they were able to present reasonable doubt in the crown's evidence. I fought a ticket back in January and had my case withdrawn because of "insuffient evidence" on behalf of the crown. Preparation is the key.

Take a look at this site - http://www.magma.ca/~fyst - and read through it. It's a Canadian (Ontario, more specifically) based site, so some of the information may not be applicable. However, it should be relevant enough that if you were to do the proper research, you should fine what you need.

Good luck.
Old 05-29-2005, 10:02 AM
NBP/EBONY/6MT

Your best bet is to talk to somebody at the court and see about taking defensive driving or getting the ticket deferred.

I'm sorry, but disabling your speedometor is dumb. If its broken, you shouldn't be in the fast lane. Also, you would mention that it was broken to the cop when he initially pulled you over. Just deal with it..
Old 05-29-2005, 10:21 AM
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
If you disable or mess up your speedometer, will that not also mess up your odometer? Meaning, if you make it so your car says it is going 60 when it is really going 80, won't that mean your odometer will only register 60 miles traveled when you have actually traveled 80? I believe that is fraud and illegal as well which may just eventually compound and worsen your situation. Seems like you're going to alot of trouble to avoid paying a ticket. Do you live in Virginia? If not, how about just not paying the ticket? Seems like that'd be the easiest way to get what you seem to want. Assuming you are unwilling to actually take responsibility for your actions, which seems to be the case.
Old 05-29-2005, 11:06 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
It's a very bad idea to mess with the speedo. In some states, if you are caught doing that, it might be considered as crime for tempering. Just suck it up and take responsibility of your action. Your other option might be contest the ticket in court and hope the cop doesn't show up.

scheißterhöffer beat me to it.
Old 05-29-2005, 11:09 AM
Goldmember

don't mess w/ speedo. actually, "speed of traffic" defenses aren't that bad and will typically reduce the sentence. here's my advice, get written testimony from your friends that you were travelling at the speed of traffic. say that you are sorry if actually speeding but you weren't excessively speeding faster than traffic. see what sentence he gives you. IF he give you a fine and finds you guilty, THEN ask the judge right after the sentencing whether he would allow you to go to traffic school in lieu for a suspended sentence. That means if you are caught again, you get double fined, but otherwise, it doesn't go on your record. I took an online course where I just copied all the text into a word file as I was reading along, and then when the final test came, I just searched for the answers in my word file. took me all of 45 min to get through it. cost $120 for course and $20 for court fees. probably saved myself as much in fines plus insurance price going up.

Traffic schools are a joke and a waste of time and money but they do remind you that speed does kill.
Old 05-29-2005, 12:12 PM
Racer

If you alter the speedometer, after the fact, and then present a broken speedometer as an excuse for speeding, you are, in my opinion, submitting false evidence to the court. And, as far as I know, that is a criminal offense in every state.

The best advice is to hire a local attorney that is experienced in traffic citations. And, make sure he understands your objective, and has all the facts, before you hire him. Get a verbal agreement that anything you tell him prior to hiring him is confidential and not to be disclosed to anyone else -- because attorney/client privilege begins only after you actually hire an attorney. And, then ask him for an honest assessment of what he could do for you -- and what defensives are available to you. The law is very complex and very technical -- as well as court rules and procedures. To defend yourself when you truly want to win, or at least have the charge reduced, is generally not a wise thing to do.

One has to pay close attention to the speedometer, or else use the cruise control a lot, in the TSX because the car can easily be going faster than one's senses would suggest. And, having a speedometer with 100 MPH at the 12 o'clock position doesn't help.

Well, it is time to go watch some legal speeding.
Old 05-29-2005, 12:56 PM
Racer

messing wit ur crap isnt a good idea bro. try this ...take it to court. theres a chance cop wont show so ur good, if he does show ask to see the records for when his radar was last calibrated, theres a law that states they have to calibrate it ever so often, i no someone that actualy got off like that. im not sure wat the time period is but do some research and find out the laws.but please dont mess wit speedo thats jus askin for more trouble imo
Old 05-29-2005, 01:05 PM
Needs more Lemon Pledge

Received 2,000 Likes on 1,173 Posts
My vote ------> Pay the ticket or go to traffic school.

Think of all the time you were speeding and got away with it. The odds have been in your favor MANY times more than against you.
Suck it up. It sucks. Get a radar detector (if it's legal in your state). Slow down.

Don't lie in court, under oath.
Old 05-29-2005, 01:17 PM
My Love & My Life

be honest and perhaps you'll get away. VA cops are brutal. my best friend got pulled over on christmas day. he didn't get a warning, but a 250.00 ticket.
Old 05-29-2005, 02:01 PM
Cruisin'

This seems appropriate...It's pretty old now so most people have probably heard it. If not, it's hilarious.

http://www.streetneeds.com/solidpantz/iroc.mp3
Old 05-29-2005, 02:58 PM
I'm the Firestarter

Received 752 Likes on 453 Posts
Originally Posted by engsr
I'm not too sure how your laws work, but in Ontario, Canada, if caught speeding, we are allowed to challenge the alleged infraction in court, duh. However, we are allowed to, occording to the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms, obtain all evidence (disclosure) that will be used against the defendant (ie. you), including the officer's notes, witness testimony, etc. We are also allowed to obtain public records (discovery) which include officer's training, radar gun information (serial numbers, model, etc.) calibration records of the gun, etc.

The idea is to challenge the evidence of the crown (the police) and if you can do that, you can get your ticket thrown out if you are sucessful. I know a lot of people that have fought tickets and have had them thrown out because they were able to present reasonable doubt in the crown's evidence. I fought a ticket back in January and had my case withdrawn because of "insuffient evidence" on behalf of the crown. Preparation is the key.

Take a look at this site - http://www.magma.ca/~fyst - and read through it. It's a Canadian (Ontario, more specifically) based site, so some of the information may not be applicable. However, it should be relevant enough that if you were to do the proper research, you should fine what you need.

Good luck.

Not only that, but if you choose to go to court and the traffic officer doesn't show up, the ticket gets automatically thrown out. Many people get off that way. If the cop shows up and you plead guilty, the court can sometimes give you a break like a delay or a reduction in the fine.

Challenging the evidence works sometimes but not if the cop did it all right.

If you were going at traffic speed you're probably best of showing up and paying whatever you're asked to pay.
Old 05-29-2005, 04:07 PM
Goldmember

Originally Posted by calijeff
This seems appropriate...It's pretty old now so most people have probably heard it. If not, it's hilarious.

http://www.streetneeds.com/solidpantz/iroc.mp3
This link is hilarious. The guy on the show is THE funniest example of the uneducated, white trash hick, IROC driver, macho acting weenie EVER! He definitely has a mustache and a mullet.
Old 05-29-2005, 05:51 PM
Just dial 1911

Originally Posted by spatel600
So anyways I was so upset that they pulled me over while I was flowing with traffic...
I love it when people justify breaking the law even though "every one else was doing it!!! waaahhhh!!"

Pay your ticket, go to traffic school and stfu...
Old 05-29-2005, 05:59 PM
Racer

Thanks guys for all your input...i'm planning on hiring a lawyer and getting him to ppear in court for me since the day lyes on finals week for summer school. I'm never driving in va ever again! Thanks again
Old 05-29-2005, 06:01 PM
Got Phó?

Yeah, pay for your actions.
Old 05-29-2005, 06:08 PM
Just dial 1911

Thanks guys for all your input...i'm planning on hiring a lawyer and getting him to ppear in court for me since the day lyes on finals week for summer school. I'm never driving in va ever again! Thanks again
A lawyer for a traffic ticket

Prepare to get laughed at by them as well...
Old 05-29-2005, 06:10 PM
send me a link to JDM??

Originally Posted by joerockt

lol... yeah, well hopefully it will do you some good. You must really not want that ticket. I'm guessing that you must be close to getting your license suspended otherwise I really don't know why you are gonna pay this much just for a speeding ticket.
Old 05-29-2005, 08:51 PM
Jersey ---> Maryland

how bad was the ticket? how many points? is this ur first offense?

usually if this is your first offense, the prosecutor will work with you.

i recently got a ticket for 55 in a 40...a 4 point ticket in jersey. it was my "first" offense in my 11 years of driving. i didnt hire a lawyer and talked to the prosecutor. I got it knocked down to a 0 point unsafe driving violation instead.
Old 05-29-2005, 10:15 PM
10th Gear

If you haven't checked it out, go to the National Motorists Association website:

http://www.motorists.org

They have a section on fighting tickets: http://www.motorists.org/issues/tick...trategies.html

This site comes highly recommended by the frequenters of the Porsche webboards; believe me, if there's any group that knows about fighting speeding tickets, it's the Porsche folks!

Good luck in fighting your ticket!

-- Melissa
Old 05-29-2005, 11:52 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Actually, it's really not a bad idea and I personally know people who have done it and got off on the ticket. The lawyer knows people in the court system and there are deals to be made. The lawyer's fee is very often about the same or slightly more than the ticket, but you might not have to pay the ticket and no record.
Old 05-30-2005, 12:03 AM
I kAnt Spel guD

I had to get a lawyer envolved for a traffic ticket in NC.
I would have had to go to court otherwise, that was on ticket no. 2 before I just got ticket no. 3 in Ohio.

Ouch, I've tried at all costs to give up speeding.....I look like dork driving behind grandma but it's the only sure fire way not to get a ticket...
Old 05-30-2005, 12:30 AM
Racer

Never heard of Traffic Lawyers? Well if you haven't there are an abundance of them in VA jsut because VA gives the most number of speeding tickets in the U.S.
Old 05-30-2005, 12:33 AM
Racer

Thanks for the additional inputs. The ticket was for 14 over the speed limit and it is my second infraction in VA. I also do not have a clean record in NC so that plea for 1st offence will probably not work. I'll keep working at it...and your sooo right MrChad its so hard to give up speeding but I'm still working on it. Thanks for the help
Old 05-30-2005, 08:25 AM
Racer

I know in CT "going with the flow of traffic" is not a reasonable excuse. It just gives the police a larger pool to ticket. I haven't got(knock on wood) a ticket since highschool. every time I've been pulled over I'm honest with the cop. I just tell him, "sorry man, i was in a rush, I have no real excuse for you." everytime I've been honest with them, they let me go. I have a friend that I've actually watched talk himself INTO tickets because the cop was sick of listening to his BS. I speed as much as he does. the diffrence is he blames the cop for pulling him over, I just take responsability for my own actions, and usually it works in my favor. Cops have heard every excuse in the book, it's rare that they hear someone apologize and not blame the cops. and in my experience, they respond pretty well to it.
Old 05-30-2005, 09:27 AM
I kAnt Spel guD

You've never been pulled over in the south I take it. They take speeding very seriously, in Ohio you pay a fine and move on...my southern expereince with the law required a manditory court apperance (stated on the ticket) and it was recommended I bring consel. Luckily, I called my lawyer up north and we "resolved" the matter without a court apperance. I laugh at those not using lawyers now, else my fine would have been much steeper for my speeding on the expressway.

And you need to visit VA sometime. They have more redlight cameras then any state I've ever seen. Radar detectors are illegal they take this quite seriously too. And they set up some rather large speed traps envolving several state troopers and a decoy trooper...speeding isn't a joke in VA.

NC and Ohio have traffic extradition law agrrements a warrant can be served for your arrest in Ohio for traffic court no show in NC, yes even for speeding.

I am very much looking to my 3rd ticket to roll off my record this fall and will happily drive like grandma until the other 2 expire as well.
Old 05-30-2005, 12:10 PM
Goldmember

I was raised in VA and I do remember VA being a very ticket heavy place. They ticket you for going pretty much anything over 7 mph over the limit. I always drove about 5 mile over with not too much worry but only drove 10 mph over late at night or early morning when traffic is moving that fast too.

But now living in San Diego, I must mention that east coast ppl drive so much better and more predictably than west coast. The wankers out here drive 55 in the leftmost lane and refuse to move over. They should get tickets!
Old 05-30-2005, 12:34 PM
Advanced

In Missouri you can pay double and have it off your record. I've done that 3 times.
Old 05-30-2005, 04:14 PM
The Power of a Grill

defensive driving dvds at video store for $5. That or ask for deferment.
Old 05-30-2005, 04:23 PM
HOWARD911S

dont mess with speedo. not worh ur ccar for a ticket. going with flow of traffic? well..its only 1 of him. he gotta catch one of u. happen to u this time..im sure u have been in flow of traffic and laugh at the other ones going flow of traffic and gor pulled over while u got away. just pay the ticket and move on
Old 05-30-2005, 05:29 PM
Goldmember

I've gotten 1 ticket in VA for running red light (new driver, panicked when light turned yellow and tried to beat it right in front of a cop car in the intersection by mistake) in VA and got out by asking the judge if I can take traffic school instead. Got 1 speeding ticket in CA for going about 80 in 65 area passing by the cop pulled over on the side b/c I was on a cell phone call for a job interview and was too preoccupied and didn't see. Got out by going to traffic school.

I've been pulled over on 2 other occasions, for minor speeding (70 in 65 area) but let go after he grilled about how many drinks I had etc. I told him I was at a friends's place and had 1. Didn't have to walk or anything, he did the follow the flash in the eye test thing and let me go w/ a caution. Got another pull over for tailgating a car on a right turn. It's a high drink / driving area so he did the light test and let me go w/ warning. I try to remain calm and polite and cool w/ them and they are cool w/ you. They want to catch the assholes not the mostly law abiding citizen who did something slightly foolish.

Lastly, one funny time was when a friend was driving and speeding about 15 mph on the highway and we passed by a cop car who started following us. It was last dusk and very twilight so even the headlights weren't that effective. We slowed down behind this car w/ a family of 4 so the cop car can pull up to us. He went into the lane next to us and pulled over the car in front of us. He apparently thought we had pulled in front of another car to hide or something. I felt bad but glad.
Old 05-30-2005, 07:54 PM
Obnoxious Philadelphian

VA has crazy amounts of cops writing speeding tickets. I got one about a year ago on 295 going around Richmond, going 78 in a 65. He pulled me over, I said what I did, and I got the ticket. It's just a tax - WTF else is Prince George County going to get money from??

Traffic lawyers for speeding violations are standard practice in NC
Old 05-30-2005, 08:08 PM
HOWARD911S

hm i cant speak for other counties..but in LA...there is a reason for all the traffic stop...its not for tax revenue. though it may help. but it goes to county..city doesnt see much of it. so not much effect for me. The reasoning (basic reason) for all the traffic stop and citation are anti gang and crime suppression. Its for police presence and make SOME people think twice before doing whatever they are doing cause afraid of getting stopped. Its to maintain presence

NOW!. some of u may think. yea. crime is still freaking bad...I agree. see it myself everday..but think of it from the other angle...if crime is so bad now..it would be much worse without all those traffic stop...and all most people hear about is how poor MOM and DAD or people like urselves get pull over and harrassed for nothing.

BUT!
what u never hear about or make news are how many violent felon. and warrant suspect. homicide and all those are caught during routine traffic stop. These normal people NEVER EVER hear about nor cared. but it is result of traffic stop..

PS:if u think police are high strung or have attitude during traffic stop sometimes.. just remember this.. ask any cop in usa.. and they will tell u. there are 2 incidents police mainly die off.

1) TRAFFIC STOP. yes..most police death is from traffic stop cause police never know who they are pulling over. but criminal getting pulled over always think police is after them

2) Domestic violence-...2nd highest death call for service...

just a thought..sorry for the long post
Old 05-30-2005, 09:09 PM
Goldmember

Come on, everyone knows that the white violent criminals drive camaros or trans ams and the black and hispanic ones have ridiculously large shiny chrome rims (sometimes spinning) on a really old cars. Can't they get racial profiling down to a science yet?
Old 05-30-2005, 09:14 PM
HOWARD911S

Originally Posted by scl23
Come on, everyone knows that the white violent criminals drive camaros or trans ams and the black and hispanic ones have ridiculously large shiny chrome rims (sometimes spinning) on a really old cars. Can't they get racial profiling down to a science yet?

shhhhhhhh we are working on it
Old 05-31-2005, 01:37 PM
Obnoxious Philadelphian

Originally Posted by scl23

really

Quick Reply: Getting out of a speeding ticket