Generally speaking...

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2007, 12:07 AM
TSX MFG Date Sep 2006

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Generally speaking...

I shake my head whenever I see a 16, 17, 18 yr old driving a TSX....

Why you ask? Again, generally speaking... they're going to turn a nice looking vehicle into twisted metal of slosh.

I blame the parents. There's no way these kids can afford such a sweet ride themselves. I'll give them one thing though... great taste in vehicle!

When I have kids, they're going to drive a beat-up and they're going to like it, take care of it with pride before I give them something like a TSX...
Old 09-09-2007, 12:17 AM
E92

Received 93 Likes on 69 Posts
Wow, glad I'm 19 and don't fit into your rant

So you think we're gonna wreck them (turning em into a twisted metal of slosh)?

My parents got me it cause they wanted me driving something safe and nice looking, that they can drive once in a while as well

(got it 3 months ago, had a mazda 6 v6 before that)
Old 09-09-2007, 12:21 AM
5th Gear

some not all.

my dad and I compromised, when i can drive we will buy a USED acura tsx. the fact that i will pay half of it will really get me to take care of that car....even if i didn't pay for any kind of new i would still take care of it because i take care of all my stuff, my phone and ipod still don't have scratches or any fingerprints on them still. that is just me
Old 09-09-2007, 12:25 AM
E92

Yeah, i've taken great care of both my cars. Washed em every 2 or 3 weeks, clayed my old car twice, only one small scratch because I was an idiot and keyed my old car trying to shut the door with the hand holding my keys, and never drive recklessly
Old 09-09-2007, 12:29 AM
5th Gear

exactly, i take care of my sister's 2003 civic(because she doesn't take of it), i wash it, vacuum the inside, and clear any trash she leaves in it, and i use leather wipes to clean the seats, and last i use windex on the inside of the windows. I treat her car like it was mine (because maybe it will if she gets a new car)
Old 09-09-2007, 12:34 AM
CGP Ebony

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I agree, there is a thin line between NICE and RICE.

Its easy to turn a luxury sports sedan into a RICE Mobile.

Thats why we have the AcuraZine!
Old 09-09-2007, 12:34 AM
Advanced

Im 17, I don't let anyone eat in my car including myself. I do all maintenance and care for my car myself. I don't street race, I take my car to the track.
Old 09-09-2007, 12:37 AM
Let me help you!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
ahh...these youngin's....thinking that they know a thing or two. I remember when I used to believe that drinking made me more alert =P

Kids these days don't know the value of money. My family had to buy my brother a $3200 desktop computer because he didn't want anything slower or slightly older. I had to start driving with old cars...but I still have nice memories in those cars. Sometimes I wish my first car hadn't broken down, or else I wouldn't have gotten into the import scene.

A TSX surely is an expensive car to wreck. They should give their kids honda accords or something. We all know how teens are...they won't follow the law (my co-worker's brother insists on not getting a license...he just drives daily without one), won't use common sense (they drive their friends even though they're not allowed to in the first few months now), etc.

Thank goodness my teenage years' "I'm invincible" complex is gone. I actually do have nightmares about the stupid stuff I've done (for example, if I had bad luck, my car would have fallen on me =P)
Old 09-09-2007, 12:51 AM
5th Gear

if only my dad still had his old bmw from the 1980s then i could drive that...i would care really care that much, if some one said to me"your car is old" then i would say "it still a bmw"
Old 09-09-2007, 01:23 AM
Banned

The teenage members have tried to assure me they aren't like all those other teenagers, that they truely apreciate the awesomeness of the TSX and don't take it for granted. They might be right, I just remember how cloudy my perception of the world was back then and have a hard time giving them the benefit of the doubt. We used to fire roman candles at one another for chrissakes.

Teenagers have the highest insurance rates for just cause. I hate to think such a nice car is being put in harms way from a statistical stanpoint. If you're going to smash something anyway, why not make it a Dodge Charger?

I said this before but I'll say it again; if my parents offered me the car I'd have to say yes, but I wish the parents had the sense to let their kids earn these rewards for themselves later on rather than drop the finer things in life right into their laps, right out of the gate.

I don't buy the reasoning that the TSX is simply safe and attractive. The same can be said about more than a few cheaper cars.
Old 09-09-2007, 02:03 AM
Sweet!

Received 80 Likes on 69 Posts
I don't think that anybody is able to value the worth of a dollar until they have rent/mortgage payments, other regular reoccurring bills (utilities, phone, insurance(s), student loans, etc.), and long work hours!

Fortunately for me, I have a good paying job that I absolutely love...so the occasional overtime is ok!

I feel that I appreciate my TSX a lot (and trust me, it's like my child!) due to the work I put in to get it (earning a college degree that then enabled me to start a good career).
Old 09-09-2007, 09:34 AM
10th Gear

Stereotyping teenagers is easy to do...i bought my tsx when i was 19. I traded in my 02 civic for an 06 mt. I work full time to pay for the car as well as my insurance while going to college full time. I consider myself very responsible i have 25k miles on the car, its always been washed and waxed, never been through a car wash. Oil changed and tires rotated regularly by myself. Never street raced and never received a ticket.

Rice? not all kids like rice. I see cars on here driven by adults with the car slammed to the ground with teins which i believe ruins the comfort features of a nice car like a tsx, while a "kid" like myself is considering the aspec kit and nothing else. its a preference.

When i traded in my black civic 02 civic with 70 k on it to the acura dealership, with out looking he quoted me 6500 for trade in on the car. He knew it had wheels, pro-kit, lip kit and a few other things. I told him he really needed to see it. when he did he checked all the paint for repaint, found no dings and very very miner scratches. After driving it he was so impressed the gave me 10,000 for it, 1500 above the kelly blue book value for dealer trade ins.

Generally speaking...kids tend to have different views then adults on modifying cars. And hey i wish my parents bought me a tsx for my first car. honestly i'm jealous, you just have to hope they wont total it in a week.
Old 09-09-2007, 09:38 AM
Instructor

So if you are in your 50's and buy one of these cars, does that mean I am trying to be young again?

I just wanted a cheap, nice commuter car and the TSX fit the bill.
Old 09-09-2007, 10:29 AM
Poser / Fanboi

Originally Posted by cestmoi

Why you ask? Again, generally speaking... they're going to turn a nice looking vehicle into twisted metal of slosh.
I drove an '86 Mustang GT in high school, but it was far from the nicest at the private school I attended. I did crash it because I was a basher. I wasn't born with a silver spoon in my mouth but I was definitely given something I wasn't able to handle or take care of.

This topic has come up at least once before, but I'm sure there are many others. I agree that there are people out there that have a strong sense of entitlement, and these people are annoying. However, being a kid with a TSX doesn't automatically put you in this category. As '06PwpTSX notes, lumping all TSX owners under 18 in this fashion is a stereotype.

Originally Posted by timd38
So if you are in your 50's and buy one of these cars, does that mean I am trying to be young again?
That's right, you're living in the past you freak'n old fogey! Go get yourself an Oldsmobile!!!
Old 09-09-2007, 10:35 AM
Safety Car

Received 168 Likes on 122 Posts
Well, I'm 32 and I have it because its well below my means. I don't consider it a reward. And I'm past judging people based on their car, or thinking how people percieve me. I'm really happy for you if you are young and have a TSX.

Besides, I had and was offered better cars than the TSX when I was their age. I "owned" a BMW, and I also had access to a couple of s-class Benz's...of course my parents owned them.

I can't echo these guys that say kids shouldn't own a TSX. If parents can buy a car that's nice for their kids, its an innate reward for the parents. As a kid, if you don't rice it out or ruin it, you have a really nice car that'll last you a long time, and holds it resale. That's a gift in and of itself. The BMW that I got as a teen didn't make me complacent....it made me want to achieve. I SHOULD be able to afford it is more what I thought. It isn't what drove me to be successful, but it taught me that these are achievable rewards.
Old 09-09-2007, 10:38 AM
Safety Car

That's what the 'Vette's for.
Old 09-09-2007, 11:12 AM
Burning Brakes

like what was said above...some not all

When I got mine, it was a B day present for my 16th birthday and it came with many rules.

1) I had to take extra good care of it
2) I had to take extra good care of it
3) It was going to be mine for a very long time
4) I have to have good grades to keep it
5) If I was going to mod it, I had to pay for the mods myself...and I have

I wash my car once a week, sometimes even twice which is a ton because my schedule is busy from morning to night during the week days. Also, none of my friends are allowed to eat, smoke, or leave any kind of trash in my car. I dont street race, its dumb. I appreciate the hell out of my car and keep it in the best shape possible. Also, like one of the guys above said...my parents got it for me because they wanted me to have a nice, safe car. And they figured if I had something nice, I would take care of it more, and I do.

Also, my parents know how well I take care of all my things. I'm just a neat freak.
Old 09-09-2007, 11:25 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by SoCaliTrojan
ahh...these youngin's....thinking that they know a thing or two. I remember when I used to believe that drinking made me more alert =P

Kids these days don't know the value of money. My family had to buy my brother a $3200 desktop computer because he didn't want anything slower or slightly older. I had to start driving with old cars...but I still have nice memories in those cars. Sometimes I wish my first car hadn't broken down, or else I wouldn't have gotten into the import scene.

A TSX surely is an expensive car to wreck. They should give their kids honda accords or something. We all know how teens are...they won't follow the law (my co-worker's brother insists on not getting a license...he just drives daily without one), won't use common sense (they drive their friends even though they're not allowed to in the first few months now), etc.

Thank goodness my teenage years' "I'm invincible" complex is gone. I actually do have nightmares about the stupid stuff I've done (for example, if I had bad luck, my car would have fallen on me =P)

Just because you did dumb things doesnt mean all of use teenagers do. I have had 3 friends die from drunk driving, I know how it feels to lose a friend to something so dumb and so thats why I will never do it. Also I just dont drink in the first place. And its not fair of you to say "we know how teens are...they wont follow the law." So by saying that, are you implying that ALL teens dont follow the law? You dont know of a single law abiding teenager? Thats hard to believe
Old 09-09-2007, 01:08 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by cestmoi

I blame the parents. There's no way these kids can afford such a sweet ride themselves. I'll give them one thing though... great taste in vehicle!

When I have kids, they're going to drive a beat-up and they're going to like it, take care of it with pride before I give them something like a TSX...
I _totally_ agree with this. In high school, I drove a POS Volvo with electrical problems. It was a pain at the time, and I remember bitching, but it makes me appreciate my TSX now. It is a rite of passage to drive a crummy car when you're in school (and college)! When I finished grad school and got my job, the first thing I bought (with cash) was my TSX--I spent a long time deciding what to buy and how much to spend, and my high school POS experience helped me make a reasonable decision.

I even saw some ridiculous statistic that 50% of young males total a car at least once--this was actually true with me and my brother (no accidents for me!). Why give a teenager a near $30k car that they have a very large chance of destroying? People who do this obviously have so much money that they don't know what to do with it.

When I have children they will drive a 2006 TSX--too bad it will be nearly 20 years old by then!
Old 09-09-2007, 01:24 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by jswim99
I _totally_ agree with this. In high school, I drove a POS Volvo with electrical problems. It was a pain at the time, and I remember bitching, but it makes me appreciate my TSX now. It is a rite of passage to drive a crummy car when you're in school (and college)! When I finished grad school and got my job, the first thing I bought (with cash) was my TSX--I spent a long time deciding what to buy and how much to spend, and my high school POS experience helped me make a reasonable decision.

I even saw some ridiculous statistic that 50% of young males total a car at least once--this was actually true with me and my brother (no accidents for me!). Why give a teenager a near $30k car that they have a very large chance of destroying? People who do this obviously have so much money that they don't know what to do with it.

When I have children they will drive a 2006 TSX--too bad it will be nearly 20 years old by then!
My parents dont have more money than they know what to do with....and I drive a tsx...Like I said before, I will have my TSX all through college and hopefully for some time after that.
Old 09-09-2007, 01:33 PM
Ex-King of Pasadena

Somehow.. i find this thread very interesting to read about.
Old 09-09-2007, 01:36 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by hunterk1

That's right, you're living in the past you freak'n old fogey! Go get yourself an Oldsmobile!!!
WOW didn't mean to offend you...
Old 09-09-2007, 01:39 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by CarbonGray Earl
That's what the 'Vette's for.
The Vette is fun. It is faster in 3rd gear than the TSX is at top speed, so ya it is fun.

I feel like my wife is on this forum the way I get abused!
Old 09-09-2007, 01:46 PM
Banned

WOW didn't mean to offend you...
His quote was red which is super secret lingo for "sarcastic remark here". Not to be mean, but you gotta admit, they say sarcasm is the lowest form of wit, and it only gets worse when you have to color the font to indicate you have sarcastic intentions.
Old 09-09-2007, 01:50 PM
Banned

The Vette is fun. It is faster in 3rd gear than the TSX is at top speed, so ya it is fun.

Sometimes I think you're here to abuse us, always reminding us how much more fun your vette is than your TSX, even puting the goddam thing in you AVATAR. Your username should be ResentMyTSX.
Old 09-09-2007, 01:59 PM
Burning Brakes

lets keep this on topic guys, I am cuious to see everyones views on this
Old 09-09-2007, 02:07 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by treez35
like what was said above...some not all

When I got mine, it was a B day present for my 16th birthday and it came with many rules.

1) I had to take extra good care of it
2) I had to take extra good care of it
3) It was going to be mine for a very long time
4) I have to have good grades to keep it
5) If I was going to mod it, I had to pay for the mods myself...and I have
OK, I must confess, I go out of my way to ignore rich people and pretend they don't exist... and then you come along make the reality of income inequity too real. A $28,500 car for 16th birthday? Weird. Weird. If the argument is that it's reliable and practical you'd be driving a Civic Hybrid as we speak.

Rules 1,2,3 and 4 are all fluff rules. They can't/won't bother to hold you to that, I promise. Rule 5 should go un-stated.

Maybe I'm alone in my thinking but certain cars feel right for certain ages. A Civic/Integra felt right when I was 20-25, but they feel uncomfortable and out of character now. The TSX feels right at 28 and I think it will until I'm in my 40's, at which point my back will be killin me and I'll need a TL. That will take me to 70, and I'll have to get a huge Cadillac with my pension. I won't see to well and will need a car that big for my safety.
Old 09-09-2007, 02:08 PM
E92

My parents dont have more money than they know what to do with....and I drive a tsx...Like I said before, I will have my TSX all through college and hopefully for some time after that.
Same here, they got me something to last until I'm out of college and grad/med school and have a real job and then some.
Old 09-09-2007, 02:21 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by wackura
OK, I must confess, I go out of my way to ignore rich people and pretend they don't exist... and then you come along make the reality of income inequity too real. A $28,500 car for 16th birthday? Weird. Weird. If the argument is that it's reliable and practical you'd be driving a Civic Hybrid as we speak.

Rules 1,2,3 and 4 are all fluff rules. They can't/won't bother to hold you to that, I promise. Rule 5 should go un-stated.

Maybe I'm alone in my thinking but certain cars feel right for certain ages. A Civic/Integra felt right when I was 20-25, but they feel uncomfortable and out of character now. The TSX feels right at 28 and I think it will until I'm in my 40's, at which point my back will be killin me and I'll need a TL. That will take me to 70, and I'll have to get a huge Cadillac with my pension. I won't see to well and will need a car that big for my safety.

I'm not rich...trust me....and you really think they dont hold me to those rules? how the hell would you even know? I failed spanish with a 69, thats one point below passing, and I lost my car for 3 weeks. My dad drives my car sometimes to take clients to lunch and he doesnt want me giving him my car all nasty filthy on the outside and trashed on the inside. And thats another reason for getting me the TSX, when I got it, he had a G35 and some of his clients that he took to lunch couldnt fit in it, so hence the TSX. A sedan that he could fit his clients in to and a car that he liked and felt comfortable driving. The TSX isnt just for me
Old 09-09-2007, 02:22 PM
Advanced

Well I am 17 and Here is my look on the subject. I come from a pretty odd type of family... In which my parents support my siblings till they graduate out of college.. I know its quite weird but that is just how it goes around here. I got my 07 TSX because... well first off i needed a car and second I was doing really well in my networking classes in school and landed an internship with IBM. So that is how i got mine. I wash my car about 3 times a week, and i am scared to drive it more then 65 mph.. and never let it go to sleep at night on less then a full tank of gas. so yeah i love my car to death.
Old 09-09-2007, 02:27 PM
Banned

I'm not rich...trust me....and you really think they dont hold me to those rules? how the hell would you even know? I failed spanish with a 69, thats one point below passing, and I lost my car for 3 weeks. My dad drives my car sometimes to take clients to lunch and he doesnt want me giving him my car all nasty filthy on the outside and trashed on the inside. And thats another reason for getting me the TSX, when I got it, he had a G35 and some of his clients that he took to lunch couldnt fit in it, so hence the TSX. A sedan that he could fit his clients in to and a car that he liked and felt comfortable driving. The TSX isnt just for me
Ah, it's not actualy yours then. That makes a lot more sense. I can apreciate having a TSX as a family community car. I wouldn't expect your parents to cram themselves into an Si.
Old 09-09-2007, 02:32 PM
Burning Brakes

I drive it most of the time. like 85%
Old 09-09-2007, 02:43 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It all comes full circle

Here are some stories of the rich kids i when to school with.

not going to mention names

#1 daddy owend a manufacturing comp , got son(16) a Supra ,dumped 40K in mods single turbo JDM swap full paint and body kit. Kid wraped it around a tree almost killed his girlfriend , Then dad buys him a NEW STI totals that one as well , now he drives a S4 quess they will never learn.

#2 daddy bought son(17) a NEW Vett ,,,son mods it then runs it into a mini van injuring a mother and a small child. Also didnt learn, newer Camaro was his reward. *Note* son now has a speech impediment from the accident.

#3 family bought son(17) GSR teg, turbo it, son smashed it into a ditch at high speed spent month in the hospital ! family did learn ,,,son ended up paying for his own car later.

#4 dad bought son (18) 95 CIVIC gave him money and helped mod father son project. b18 , Jackson racing super charger , rollcage(thank God) . Son fliped it on backroads , paralyzed his passenger from the waist down.

Sad thing is that i have more of thies, all JUST from the west side of Cincinnati !
Old 09-09-2007, 02:47 PM
Banned

I drive it most of the time. like 85%
That 15% is psychologically important. It keeps things in perspective. It leaves something to strive for: a TSX you don't have to share.
Old 09-09-2007, 02:56 PM
Banned

I knew a realy cocky kid who always greased his hair back, his parents bought him an Eddie Bauer Explorer in the late 90s, he rolled it. A girl's parents bought her a teg GSR, she had only had the car a few weeks and then let a friend do a borrow it during school hours to do a lunch run or something, and her friend totalled the car within feet of the school's parking lot. It just makes sense that kids will take more risks with something they didn't pay for. Imagine how you treat a rental car. Now imagine it's a sporty car, you barely have any driving experiance and you're looking for some cheap thrills.
Old 09-09-2007, 03:20 PM
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I drove a 92 prelude and it was sweet. I want it back, even though I own an 04 tsx now....

I agree that teenagers shouldn't have new cars, because then they wouldn't drive sweet old preludes.

And - most of you need to learn how to spell and use contractions.
Old 09-09-2007, 03:55 PM
Safety Car

My tongue was firmly in my cheek....no harm meant at all. If I offended, I'll gladly take it back, its just a little ribbing for fun.

Red means sarcasm on this forum.
Old 09-09-2007, 03:56 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by TommySalami
Wow, glad I'm 19 and don't fit into your rant

So you think we're gonna wreck them (turning em into a twisted metal of slosh)?

My parents got me it cause they wanted me driving something safe and nice looking, that they can drive once in a while as well
same thing here..

I take better care of my tsx then my parents take care of the Lexus and Benz so yeah.. don't bash... my parents cared enough to get me a nice car because they want me to drive around safely instead of inside a death trap... so if you could afford a safer car, you wouldn't buy it for your kid? you'll regret it if anything happens...
Old 09-09-2007, 04:26 PM
C'mon, man! Row yer own.

Deja vu all over again. I don't understand these threads, which seem to pop up from time to time. Somebody takes the time to sit down and rant about "these" teenagers who own/drive/bought/received a TSX new or used or whatever. Then everybody goes back and forth about whether a kid who paid for 42% of his TSX and washes it three times a day gets a pass, but another kid who got one for his birthday is spoiled and will never learn the value of a dollar and will spend his life a penniless wretch.

Inevitably it seems it's the wizened 26-year-olds who weigh in with the most (and most-misspelled) invective. The "they don't know the value of money" argument is the most often repeated. Between the ages of 18 and about 30, I squandered most of my earnings on junk and didn't save -- I didn't learn the value of money until I started earning enough to really save large amounts. And I drove a '69 Toronado that belched smoke when I was a kid in the mid-80's which, according to you guys, should have made me a value-of-money genius.
Old 09-09-2007, 04:34 PM
Pro

To add on that, i believe that some of you older guys are just reliving a jealous past of others who had nicer cars then you could afford... it's no reason to bash on those who could afford a better car.. would you bash on a kid who lives in a bigger house? or could afford a better college? it's all perspective and you're all watching through green eyes...

Quick Reply: Generally speaking...