General Impression on 04 TSX

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2005, 02:07 AM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
General Impression on 04 TSX

I just want to find out what are some of the general impressions on '04 TSX. I got mine back in Oct 2003 and have driven 80000 km so far. My comments are:

Good:
lovely manual transmission; handling; seats are very supportive;

Bad: crappy OE tires; CD-changer doesn't like CD-R (i've replaced one already.. but no luck...); rattling noise; stretched leather seats; slightly faded outboard armrests; brake randomly squeaks (only happened twice in the past 2.25 years. It sounded really bad at the time but went away the next day.);

Ugly:
The DRIVE-BY-WIRE system. It's terrible to drive in rush-hour/bumper-to-bumper/stop-and-go traffic. When I was in 1st or 2nd gear (driving with foot off the clutch), with a light touch on the throttle, and between 1000 to 1500 rpm, I could easily get the car into an oscillation. The rpm would swing 50 to 100 rpm initially. If I don't let go of the throttle or press the clutch, this could get worse. Any body experienced that? I wrote a long letter to Acura when they sent me the questionnaire after the first year. They actually called me back try to explain to me that this is normal. (But I had a VW Passat with 5 sp manual before and had never seen something like that. I also try to do the same thing on RX8, 325i, S40, and Cooper S but didn't have any luck in reproducing that type of oscillation. I also had a few friends to try out my car and they all had similar experience.) Also, after idling the throttle (in any gear) for 5 sec or so, if I try to slowly increase the throttle from idle, there's a "threshold". Before the threshold, the car does nothing; at the threshold, my TSX gives me a little kick (I also observed a little jerk in the rpm). Is this any better in the newer models?

So, what's your experience and/or impression?
Old 12-22-2005, 04:35 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I dont know about DBW being that annoying since I do not own manual.. and I have to agree on that brake squeaks. Man, it squeaks time to time and pisses me off so much!
Old 12-22-2005, 09:19 AM
Burning Brakes

I own a 04 6sp too and I dun have ne issue with the DBW, only need to readjust the driving habbit a little bit. And I have a not DBW E46 5sp M too and I switch between the 2 cars everyday with my wife and both of us never have problem with the DBW on our TSX but the DBW E46 is truly annoying that's why we still keep our old bimmer for that long. If you really annoyed by the DBW, you may try the voltage stablizier that some guys over here recommended. From their experience it can improve the DBW issue. PM to JeffTSX and ask for more detail since he has it installed and he is in Toronto too.
Old 12-22-2005, 10:22 AM
Have camera, will travel

Originally Posted by htam
So, what's your experience and/or impression?
Overall I love the car.

1. I agree that the DBW throttle tip-in issue can be annoying at times, but I haven't experienced the oscillation you speak of. Sometimes, in traffic, it helps to drive a gear tall in the TSX.
2. You do know that leather is supposed to stretch, don't you? I don't know how it couldn't given the conditions any car seat is subjected to. I'm happy with mine.
3. I've had a couple of rattles here and there, but they usually resolve themselves. The roads where I live aren't the best, so that doesn't help things. Not a big deal for me.
4. Haven't experienced the brake squeak issue.

Some things that do annoy me are the height of the armrest on the drivers door. When I get the seat where I want it, the rest is just too low, and the door sill is a bit too high. Not a deal breaker and I've gotten used to it.

Also, the door lock stem is perfectly placed to interfere with my elbow when I put it on the sill to rest.

After two years, I wouldn't mind more power. I'll be Hondatafied by the end of the week to address this issue. Even without Hondata, it hasn't been a big deal. The TSX has enough pop for most people.

All this is minor stuff. I still really look forward to driving my car, even more than when I bought it, 'cause now I know what it can do. The handling, steering, tranny and overall road feel blow away any car I've owned, by a long shot. And that's bone stock.

A few mods and I'll be in hog heaven.

Merry Christmas!
Old 12-22-2005, 11:33 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Overall, I absolutely love my car. I have an AT, so I don't think the DBW is quite as annoying.

One thing though that has been annoying me lately is a knocking or clunking sound when I press on the brake (not all the time though) and sometimes when I do a sharp turn. Anyone know what this is? Has me kind of nervous that something is broken....

At least mine is virtually 100% rattle free! Just a minor rattle once in a while in the A-pillar.
Old 12-22-2005, 12:06 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I love mine, no problems at all, The only if any is that the cd changer doesn't work, but thats because someone jammed a CD in there. I have to get that replaced
Old 12-22-2005, 12:30 PM
ABP TSX

I have had my '04 for 26 months now and put 27,500 miles on the clocks.

I have no problems or issues. I have been to the dealer once to fix condensation in one of the head lights under warranty. No problems with the CD changer, and I ONLY use CDR's in mine.

I have fixed a few rattles myself using Dynamat or another sound deadner. The OEM tires sucked and were replaced at ~25k.

I have been happy so far and added quite a few mods too.

Old 12-22-2005, 12:32 PM
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
My car is 2 years old.

Last Monday was the 2 year anniversary of owning my 04 AT non-navi TSX. I can summarize by saying that I am very happy with the car and with the ownership experience. In the 2 years I've put on just over 15K miles. I commute to work by vanpool so the TSX is used for errands/pleasure.

Dislikes:
- I am not a fan of the OEM tires. They do seem to wear very well but the handling is just so-so and they produce waaaay too much road noise. I'm looking forward to wearing/changing them out.
- squeaks/buzzing. Not really a dislike but more of an annoyance. They are not constant, they come and go, and are more apparent during colder weather. There is one somewhere near the center console, one coming from somewhere around the door-lock plunger on the driver's door, and one coming from the handle just above the drivers window. There is also the annoying squeak from the weather seals around the drivers side window and the sunroof.
- lag/delay due to DBW. My wife's Civic responds quicker. This is most apparent when pulling away from a stoplight where you transfer your foot from the brake to the accelerator. I installed the Icebox intake which improved the throttle response but the DBW lag is still there.

- Handling (especially with the Comptech rear sway bar). I don't race or track the car but I really enjoy the way you can toss it around. Its responsive to the steering input, goes where you point it, and hangs in the corners nicely.
- Ergonomics. All the gauges, switches, knobs are within easy reach and are logically placed (except for the sunroof/moonroof which belongs by the homelink buttons IMHO). I love the insturment display and the steering wheel buttons. The seat is very comfortable on long drives (once I get it set to where I like it).
- The dual climate control is very useful as my wife always keeps her side warmer. This is also the first car we've owned with seat heaters which my wife uses constantly.
- Auto dimming mirror. Like someone else said, how did I ever live without this?
- Sound system. I replaced my speakers with the Avincar kit and I love the sound. This is better than my home system. I could sit in the driveway for hours if I wasn't worried about running the battery down.
- Fuel economy. A pleasant surpise. I expected decent mileage on the highway and I wasn't disappointed. Roadtrips have yielded 33mpg numbers (and this is cruising at around 80mph). The real surprise for me is the combined mileage when driving around town as I've been getting 26-27mpg.
- Hondata reflash. I know, I know, just like the Avincar speakers, this isn't a stock item. The stock TSX I felt had enough power for 85% of the driving I did. With the hondata reflash, I feel I have enough power for 98% of my driving. I mean, sure, who wouldn't want to have even more acceleration but the car now is quick enough to my liking in all situation except for maybe stoplight racing (which I don't do).
- Looks. Its just a damn good looking car. Need I say more?

Like I said earlier, overall I am very pleased with the TSX over the first two years of ownership. The benefits/likes far outweigh any minor annoyances/dislikes that I may have.
Old 12-22-2005, 12:59 PM
Burning Brakes

My DBW TSX is already response 10X better than my non DBW E46!
Old 12-22-2005, 02:21 PM
Instructor

After exactly 26 months (took delivery of NBP, non-navi MT) on 10-22-03) and 29,000 miles, I put myself in the Thoroughly Satisfied category. When it comes to overall driving enjoyment, I rate the TSX higher than the two sports cars I’ve owned (1978 280Z and 1990 RX-7). Naturally, it’s quieter and rides better than those cars did, but that refinement wasn’t achieved at the expense of very good handling (even with the OEM Michelins).
Other positives:
 The manual transmission is outstanding, the best I’ve ever used
 Respectable acceleration – good enough that I don’t crave more
 Excellent styling, exterior and interior. (Some people may criticize the exterior design for being too “safe,” but I’ll take “safe’ over a more adventurous design like the current Maxima, which to me is a rolling eyesore.)
 Excellent fit and finish, exterior and interior
 Good sound system, given the price of the car
 Good gas mileage; I’ve probably averaged 27 or 28 mpg, doing 80% highway driving (at 70-80 mph much of the time). I know some people have done better than that without really trying for maximum mpg.
 I’ve had no rattle or creaking problems whatsoever; just lucky, I guess
Minuses and things I’d change if I could:
 The shifting-seat problem. My TSX has had it from Day One, but it’s not severe and it doesn’t bother me enough to risk having the dealer try to solve it.
 More hard plastic in the interior than I’d choose. I’ll grant you that it looks good as hard plastic goes, but it’s still a negative as far as I’m concerned. Really, how much more would Acura need to charge for the car if there were soft-touch surfaces where a lot of the hard plastic is?
 The height of the car. I’m sure that most of us wish the TSX was lower and that the wheel gaps were smaller. Is this much from-the-factory ground clearance really necessary?
 The vulnerability of the AC condenser to fatal hits from road debris. I’m fortunate that my dealer replaced my condenser as a goodwill gesture. I fear that the second condenser will be KO’d and that the replacement expense will be mine.
I'm also worried that a problem or problems already experienced by a fair number of TSX owners will develop in my car after the warranty expires. (I intend to keep this car past 100,000 miles.) The problem I guess I’m most worried about is the dreaded “audio-HVAC display module is dim or dark.” Having to deal with that one out of warranty would be a monetary nightmare. If my module is going to go dim or dark, I hope it does it soon-ish.
Old 12-22-2005, 03:32 PM
Have camera, will travel

Originally Posted by rx280
The problem I guess I’m most worried about is the dreaded “audio-HVAC display module is dim or dark.” Having to deal with that one out of warranty would be a monetary nightmare. If my module is going to go dim or dark, I hope it does it soon-ish.
Has this been an issue? I don't recall reading of this anywhere else.
Old 12-22-2005, 03:46 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by waTSX
Has this been an issue? I don't recall reading of this anywhere else.
yes. A number of members have reported this happening. Its been taken care of under warranty in all cases as far as I know.
Old 12-22-2005, 04:00 PM
Professional SLACKER

Love the car!!!!

It probably have some minor issues but I'm just too ignoant to notice it

Talk about road noise... it get loud at 80 mph..... but I'm due for a new tire soon.
The car already have 41k miles on it....
Rattles.... I'm used to it now....
Funny lots of TSXers complain that their CD doesn't read CDRs.... mind works flawlessly..... and I use the GQ brand.......
MPG..... around 26-29.... I can live with that.... (heavy foot)
Overrall, its the best damn car I've ever owned. my
Old 12-22-2005, 04:05 PM
Team Owner

wait, you said you're ignorant but then you say your mind works flawlessly?

Old 12-22-2005, 05:43 PM
Instructor

I'm a relative short timer in my 04 TSX, 6 speed, non navi (less than 2 months of ownership) but I love it. It has great acceleration and braking IMO. The perfect amount of "oomph" when I need it for getting on highway's, passing, or pulling into traffic. And the handling is second to none (at least none of the cars I have owned in the past). It sticks to the road like glue with very little body roll.

I have been achieving 27-30 mpg mixed driving and I am happy with that. The heated seats are awesome... almost as awesome as having 6 gears The audio is excellent and plays all of my CDR's so far.

I am worried a little about the audio-HVAC module lights going out once I am out of warranty as well since I hear they are over $2000 to replace. I have a friend at an Acura dealership and he gets me parts 10% over dealer cost (and does my labor in return for a case of beer) but I think that it would still be a big chunk of change for the module.

Eventually I want to install the OEM body kit and once the warranty is up, lower it, but aside from that, this car is complete in my book. The perfect mix of style, luxury, and sport all wrapped up in 1 package.

I give the 04 TSX
Old 12-22-2005, 08:15 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by rx280
 The shifting-seat problem. My TSX has had it from Day One, but it’s not severe and it doesn’t bother me enough to risk having the dealer try to solve it.

Yes, I have the shifting-seat problem too. But my dealer can't "reproduce" the problem. Also, I've gone thru three fog lights in the first 1.5 year. Acura can't replace the fog light lens as a stand-alone item. At the end, I've given up on it and been living with two broken ones for the past 12 months.

I'm really suprised that no one has encountered the DBW problem that I experienced. Does anyone know if the DBW software is stored in the ECU or has a seperate computer for it? Does Acura have a newer verision of the ECU and the DBW software? Thanks!