Gauges: How Accurate ???

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2007 | 02:39 PM
Cyclist, Too!

Gauges: How Accurate ???

So, how accurate are the center gauges on the TSX instrument panel?

You know, the ones that shows Range, miles per gallon, and tire pressure?

Also, do the Range and MPG settings reset each time I fill up?

All opinionated opinions and real-world evidence welcomed!

David
Old 07-18-2007 | 02:56 PM
rb1
Suzuka Master

Tire pressure readings seem very good, within 1 psi of what my old-fashioned gauge says.

MPG ratings vary and have been somewhat optimistic. I started out being almost -2 mpg from indicated, but it's been more like -1 the last few times, not too bad. Variations in how you fill the gas tank can account for some of this. Some folks claim it's better on highway trips than around town.

Range

Yesterday, I hit "0" and then went and filled up. 14.25 gallons, but tank capacity is published 17.1 gallons?? WTF? Really, I could have gone another 60 miles or so unless the 17.1 gallon figure wrong.
Old 07-18-2007 | 03:00 PM
I Quit

MPG is very optomistic, there are several threads on here I have read of it being off at least 2 - 3 mpg. The range is very conservative, when it says zero you still have at least a gallon of gas in the tank. The point of the range is to aleart you to get somewhere close to a gas station, before you run out. It's more of a courtesy reminder, not something to live and die by. You need to tell the mpg to reset on a fill up by changing the MID settings. The range will automatically switch over.
Old 07-18-2007 | 04:29 PM
it's a car-drive it

Originally Posted by Dave the H.

All opinionated opinions and real-world evidence welcomed!

David
do not have the tire pressure monitor but when we check the mpg with a calculator the mpg on the MID is extremeley close or exact. You have to reset it each time you fillup- it does not do it for you
Old 07-18-2007 | 07:17 PM
Old Guy

My 05 doesn't have the MID so about all I can comment on that car is the gas gauge (very conservative; I've driven 50+ miles with the warning light on and still put only around 14.5 gallons in it) and the outside temp. gauge (seems accurate though slow to react). The 07 shares both those issues and I'd agree with the comments on the rest of the displays on the MID (though I must say, driving the 05 most of the time, I don't miss the MID at all; just more distraction)(and the tire pressure thing is nanny state run amok).
Old 07-18-2007 | 09:44 PM
Poser / Fanboi

Can't tell you about range - I've never calibrated it by taking a trip that I knew the distance, but my speedometer is VERY accurate - off by no more than 1mph at 80 (from those automatic radar thing-a-ma-jigs on the side of the road) - so maybe the range is that accurate too. I've never seen a car that accurate before.

MPG - others have already said, it's optimistic by 1-2 MPG.

I own a 2006, so I don't know about pressure.

Not sure if you have to link first - I think you do - but once it's linked (look on your key FOB for details), hold down the "i" button until the MID lets you start to change stuff. You'll have to navigate around with the "i" and "Sel Reset" buttons (it tells you which to use when), you'll find that option in there somewhere...