Gasoline Octane mixtures

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2006, 10:22 AM
TSX MFG Date Sep 2006

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gasoline Octane mixtures

Someone asked about mixing the Octanes 87 and 94 to make 91 awhile ago and while doing research on which gas stations contain MMT or not, I came across a site that specifically state that you can do this by filling half 87 and half 94...

Lost the website link, but if I remember correctly, it was at cars.com if anyone wants to verify.

Anyway, on my preliminary research, it appears that Sunoco contains NO MMT. There are surprisingly very little info on this on all the large gasoline companies' websites. Now, I'll have to wait and wait and wait for replies to my email inquiries to the large companies. Wonder if fellow Acurazine members can help me out by emailing the same inquiries about whether their gasoline contain MMT (Manganese additives). This especially affects fellow Canadians (I moved from Vancouver to Tullahoma couple of months ago) as Canada apparently one of the first countries to embrace the additive to increase Octane (according to some of the literatures I've read anyway). Apparently if you are in the state of California, you're ok as MMT is banned in that State.

I don't get it... surely there must be information on a list of gasoline refineries that are still using MMT as additive? Just a quick look, it appears that all different car manufacturers recommend NOT to use gasolines that contain MMT! It's not exclusive to Hondas/Acuras from my quick research today.
Old 12-25-2006, 12:17 PM
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts
I'd certainly be interested to know what gasoline blends do NOT contain MMT. Let us know if you find a reliable source.
Old 12-25-2006, 09:17 PM
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by cestmoi
Someone asked about mixing the Octanes 87 and 94 to make 91 awhile ago and while doing research on which gas stations contain MMT or not, I came across a site that specifically state that you can do this by filling half 87 and half 94...

Lost the website link, but if I remember correctly, it was at cars.com if anyone wants to verify.

Anyway, on my preliminary research, it appears that Sunoco contains NO MMT. There are surprisingly very little info on this on all the large gasoline companies' websites. Now, I'll have to wait and wait and wait for replies to my email inquiries to the large companies. Wonder if fellow Acurazine members can help me out by emailing the same inquiries about whether their gasoline contain MMT (Manganese additives). This especially affects fellow Canadians (I moved from Vancouver to Tullahoma couple of months ago) as Canada apparently one of the first countries to embrace the additive to increase Octane (according to some of the literatures I've read anyway). Apparently if you are in the state of California, you're ok as MMT is banned in that State.

I don't get it... surely there must be information on a list of gasoline refineries that are still using MMT as additive? Just a quick look, it appears that all different car manufacturers recommend NOT to use gasolines that contain MMT! It's not exclusive to Hondas/Acuras from my quick research today.
It's my understanding that the use of MMT in California has been specifically banned; so for those who live in CA, you should be covered.

Chevron's website stated, "very little MMT is being used in US gasoline at this time (2003)". That really doesn't say much, tho. The full text is found at:

http://www.chevron.com/products/prod...esting/pg4.asp
Old 12-25-2006, 10:39 PM
Registered Car Nut

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Guys,

I also posted this info on another related topic, but check out Top Tier Gas for a list of the retailers that meet this new standard.

This new standard was determined by Honda, GM, BMW and Toyota, so we can trust that this will be good enough for our beloved TSXs.