gas overfill..AGAIN

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2004, 03:15 AM
More On

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: GO TO A BETTER GAS STATION

Originally posted by Soze75
.....Just the other day I was struggling to read a post which seemed to have been typed by someone in quite a rush. No capitals, no spaces, no periods, unique spelling I'd never imagined. I could have read an equivalent post written in Latin in less time. I was dying to confront the culprit, but common sense told me......
Yup. I remember the one.

i saay lets maek itt poost off teh mouth butt ite wood by rwong two maek fon off ite
Old 01-17-2004, 03:55 AM
Advanced

ok FLD, sorry about the first post, just not happy about the way the guy was talking to you, I think we are all pretty mature here on the forum, juss can't' take some of those guys out there that talk like they are better than anyone else, and ontop of that give nothing of a positive feed back to what the thread started was talking about.

But yeah i'll try that for you next time. I had my TSX since september and I've never had a problem with fill ups.

' can anyone here explain how the shut off system work in a car's fuel tank?'

I think if we can dissect this then we might be able to look for an answer for this. I mean we ran into some problems with the TSX before and I mean, we are the hampsters in experimental lab. These are first generation cars in the states. They will have some quality control issues. I've never heard of any cars that came out perfect the first year it came out. even the car of the year G35, had many problems worst then us.

I think, the reason for the overfill could be MOSTLY caused by the pump in the logistics of it all from everyones "feedback" that had over filling. And it might very well be that the nozzle is not plugged in to knick the shut off valve in the tank. Having the nozzle even engaging the fuel valve for gas flow tells us that the valve is working as it should. And if this is only occasional or in certain pumps, then the logic goes back to the pump. Yes there is human error sometime in the works, but IF you said you are just standing there pumping while holding it down then it is not human error to blame.

Remeber the pump is used by "who knows." anybody, and depending on where you live, cold weather and extreme temperatures can change the way the pump reacts cause of water freezing inbetween the tab or anything outrageous. The whole thing is metal you know.
Old 01-17-2004, 12:13 PM
fdl
Senior Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well...my hypothesis is ... that it could be a combination of 2 things that cause it to happen.

1 is the newr pump design, and 2 is the way you pump, that is let the gas in very slowly.

Perhaps there is something about the design of the TSX gas tank and the design of the new gas pumps that combined sometimes dont work properly when gas is let in very slowly.

This is just a guess, based on the factors that were present when I had the problem.

So if anyone wants to try this out...make sure you try it at a new gas station.
Old 01-17-2004, 12:55 PM
Old fart

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Well, last week, I went back to the same pump that overfilled on me about a month ago. I still only let the pump stop itself so I was keeping a close eye on it this time and no overflow. But it's been a month so they might have tweeked the pump, conditions were different, etc. But I still think the pump was at fault when it happened.
Old 08-11-2005, 02:56 PM
Instructor

I got a new 2005 TSX last week and filled it up for the first time this weekend.. in my jetta I could ALWAYS top it off, some times 50 cents worth after the pump clicked off.... the TSX clicked off and I tried to pump 5 more cents worth of gas in (auto shut off was at $xx.45 I like round amounts so I wanted to goto .50).... I looked down and gas had leaked down the side of the car... ARGH!
Old 08-11-2005, 03:30 PM
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by dmbfan36_23
I got a new 2005 TSX last week and filled it up for the first time this weekend.. in my jetta I could ALWAYS top it off, some times 50 cents worth after the pump clicked off.... the TSX clicked off and I tried to pump 5 more cents worth of gas in (auto shut off was at $xx.45 I like round amounts so I wanted to goto .50).... I looked down and gas had leaked down the side of the car... ARGH!
Once it clicks off by itself give it a little time before you attempt to overfill. I think CJams managed to get like 18 gallons into his.

BTW, props to you for searching and posting in an existing thread.
Old 08-11-2005, 03:49 PM
Rep'n Taxbrain.com

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I can usually get a little more. Try waiting a sec like Jlukja said though.
Old 08-11-2005, 03:59 PM
Thriller

Pump leaks

Nope not me...not yet anyways. I normally fill it to a dollar amount anyways unless I really need a "filler-up".

Careful now with the pumps!

Old 08-11-2005, 04:06 PM
Three Wheelin'

hey, ive done the samething. but when i was doing it i was purposely filling it up VERY slowly. basically its the lack of pressure buildup. i know the tsx has some sort of thing so you dont smell the fuel and theres no fumes, possibly the problem when filling up too slowly. just fill it up normally nu shouldnt have any problems.
Old 08-11-2005, 04:35 PM
Guinea Pig

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Props for searching

I got almost 2 more gallons after the pump first cut off. Total was like 18.5 gallons. Sauceman got like 19.2 in the tank. The trick is to pull the nozzle out about an inch or 2 and SLOWLY keep topping it off. And if you do over fill, there is a little hole in the gas cap area that should allow the gas to leak to the ground without getting all over the car.

Old 08-11-2005, 05:00 PM
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by CJams
Props for searching

Because if you don't search, we'll throw the stiffy at ya:

Old 08-11-2005, 05:32 PM
Banned

wow ancient thread and this one has all those special personalities (crazytree, larchmont...) heheh
Old 08-11-2005, 06:42 PM
Burning Brakes

I pump my gas at chevron and have never had a problem like yours fdl. Even when I just let it stop by itself not once on any car have I had your issue with the TSX.
Old 08-11-2005, 07:03 PM
Instructor

Props for searching
Thanks.. I aim to please... :-)

I got almost 2 more gallons after the pump first cut off. Total was like 18.5 gallons. Sauceman got like 19.2 in the tank. The trick is to pull the nozzle out about an inch or 2 and SLOWLY keep topping it off. And if you do over fill, there is a little hole in the gas cap area that should allow the gas to leak to the ground without getting all over the car.
Cool, my gas light came on... I ran it down another 60 miles or so.. I think the Nav Trip computer said I had 17 mi. of range left... it only took 14.719 gallons and I was like WTF?? And it spilled down the side a bit... but I definitely tried to top it off right away..I didn't give it a second to breathe, I'll do that next time....

P.S. it was at a shell gas station in town that I used to always take my Jetta to... so I doubt it was some "ghetto pump" problem....
Old 08-11-2005, 09:26 PM
Advanced

And that's why I don't top off anymore. You shouldn't aim for a "round number" unless you have OCD and topping off helps you cope.

Given the price of gas, why risk it leaking on the ground? It'll cost you more in the long run. I have also read (not verified) that when you top off something about the pressure makes it so that you don't necessarily get all that you pump for.

Just stick with stopping pumping when the thing clicks off.
Old 08-11-2005, 10:42 PM
Three Wheelin'

gotta love NJ

no pumping gas yourself

isnt gas spilling on the paint bad for it?
what did u guys who had it spill do about it?
Old 08-11-2005, 10:48 PM
Guinea Pig

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by TacoBellSauce

I probably shouldn't, but I grab the windshield washer and scrub it off my car real quick.

Old 08-12-2005, 05:23 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by TacoBellSauce
I thought it was and I freaked out so I ran into the gas station and grabbed a soaked papertowel.. squeezed it over the side of the car and then I grabbed my touch-up spray and sprayed it and dried it with my touchup/shine cloth....
Old 08-12-2005, 05:08 PM
Burning Brakes