Garmin Nuvi 660 - Anyone here have one?

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2007, 11:48 PM
TSX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow Garmin Nuvi 660 - Anyone here have one?

I just ordered one since I'll probably need it in the DC/NoVa area, being new and all.

I've test it out and it seems stout. Very nice product and all the reviews I've read were excellent.

Do anyone of you have it? Where did you stick it? I'm probably going to velcro mine in the empty compartment underneath the AC console. Maybe open the compartment up and velcro the topside of the Nuvi so it sticks on the back side of the compartment door when it's flipped up.

Let me know your thoughts...
Old 04-02-2007, 12:10 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
um...i think you need to window mount it to get good reception.
Old 04-02-2007, 04:03 AM
Instructor

garmin

http://cgi.ebay.com/Car-Vent-Mount-f...QQcmdZViewItem

take a look at the ebay auction above. i actually have the garmin 360, basically identical to what you ordered, except without traffic updates and not widescreen. in my humble opinion, garmins are the best nav money can buy. i actually had the garmin in my old car, and i recently leased a new tsx with nav. i miss the garmin. don't get me wrong, the factory nav looks clean, and it integrates with the car very smoothly. also, the factory nav's gps antenna is much stronger than the garmin. with the garmin, you lose signal in parking structures. not with the acura nav. that being said, the garmin re-draws maps faster, the maps look better (more colors), the acura nav is beginning to look dated (i've read this in some car reviews also), and the garmin is so easy to update. everything is in flash memory and loads much faster and costs much less than upgrading the dvd in the acura every year.

i bought the car vent mount for my garmin in my old car, and it really is the best mount available. garmin should've included these mounts as oem. it's a really tight fit, just perfect. i also love the placement, even better than the factory placement, because it is very high, and you don't need to look far down to see the map. very helpful when you are driving. i find that when i look at the acura nav, i have to briefly take my eyes off the road, whereas with the garmin and the ac vent mount, i didn't need to. i could see everything in my peripheral vision.

all in all though, you can't beat the factory nav. being able to use voice commands means you don't have to look at the map or press the screen for inputs.

both navs are great units. you won't regret the garmin, and i highly recommend the ac vent mount. it's not permanent, so you can take it off whenever you please, but while it's on, it's strong enough that it might as well be a permanent fixture.

sorry for the long post! just trying to be helpful. i'm a newbie and i love my tsx!
Old 04-02-2007, 12:37 PM
Instructor

I use the 350 on the beanbag mount. Doesn't slide all ofer the place, leaves no marks on your car like the windshield mount can and easily transferabe to a rental car.
Old 04-02-2007, 06:42 PM
Bye TSX, hello domestic?

i have a nuvi 660, the traffic is extremely useful for the area too, too bad my free 3 monthes runs out soon

i used the window mount b/c I'm too lazy to get something else, but that vent mount looks cool. beanbag wouldn't work for me, I always plug in the charger to get traffic info
Old 04-02-2007, 08:25 PM
STi'd

Have one too, but haven't found a good place to mount it yet. If ever use it Hawaii (which is rarely) I just put it on my seat. Not to mention, if I were to leave it on my dash or stuck onmy window, it'd get stolen here in a heartbeat.
Old 04-02-2007, 08:47 PM
Advanced

I have the Nuvi 350
This is similar to the 660, with a few less features.

These are great Navigation devices.
You'll be very pleased. The only problem I have is that some times it takes a little while to "aquire sattalites". Other than that it's a fantastic nav unit.

Enjoy
Old 04-02-2007, 10:43 PM
TSX

Originally Posted by xizor
i have a nuvi 660, the traffic is extremely useful for the area too, too bad my free 3 monthes runs out soon

i used the window mount b/c I'm too lazy to get something else, but that vent mount looks cool. beanbag wouldn't work for me, I always plug in the charger to get traffic info

Where did you mount the window mount? Could you take some pictures?
Old 04-02-2007, 10:52 PM
Bye TSX, hello domestic?

Originally Posted by Savio
Where did you mount the window mount? Could you take some pictures?
i don't really drive the tsx anymore (in process of being sold), but I usually stick it in the lower middle of the winshield. if you don't use the power cord you can stick it on the driver's window. you don't need to look at it that much since it speaks out the names of the streets
Old 04-03-2007, 09:35 AM
Instructor

Actually GPSPassion (www.gpspassion.com) has threads with pictures on the best way to mount the Nuvi.
Old 04-04-2007, 07:40 PM
6th Gear

Consider the Navman

I bought a iCN 320 Navman from Office Depot's website; the cost was $189 plus tax & shipping. You won't find this model in the stores because putting it next to a Garmin or TomTom would kill their sales.

It does most of what the Garmins will do except traffic updates. One of the ways they've kept the cost down on this model is that the map doesn't track your movements at highway speeds until you're right on the the next change. The next 2 commands are displayed to the left of the map with distance, so I don't really see it as a problem. The commands are audible and we shouldn't be watching the display, anyway!

There are a lot of other models besides the iCN, too. I believe Navman started out with depth/fish finders. One of my co-workers has a Garmin and I've found the Navman has all the functionality I'd want, compared to the Garmin, and for $300 less . On a couple of occasions where we were going to the same destination, the Navman chose a better route.

Mark
Old 04-05-2007, 12:15 AM
TSX

I just got the Nuvi 660 today....it is so kick ass.

Question to those that have it. If you have the antenna closed will it always say "GPS is off"?

Also, it doesn't list all of the POI that are further away, I'm assuming that when I'm closer to the vincinity, they will get listed?
Old 04-05-2007, 12:43 AM
Instructor

A bunch of my coworkers have 660's. One of them took it to work to show off, and then everyone else decided they had to have one too. I think it's really slick and I like the way the map is displayed. It also has a navigation mode for when you are on foot. I wonder if you can load trails onto it so you can take it hiking.
Old 04-06-2007, 09:08 PM
TSX

I afixed mine using the window mount on the corner of the front windshield on the driver side. I really like the position of it and I hid the wire so looks really clean. It really is a nice system. It kills two birds with one stone. I have a decent navi now and also I have handsfree bluetooth functionality also.