fun w/ A4, crossing fingers!

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2005, 02:49 PM
wagon owner

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
fun w/ A4, crossing fingers!

Well, after putting about 150 miles on the new A4, I've found it to be a really fun car to drive...with a few bothersome nitpicks. Not sure it will trump the TSX in reliability...but if there are no big electrical or other surprises, it's also a great car.

THE BAD
1. The red instrument panel illumination. Very Andromeda Strain.
2. Seats still trying to adjust to my ass and back.
3. Side mirrors are really small compared to what I'm used to (4Runner)
4. Climate control hard to get to when cars in park. And it's a bit confusing.
5. Some creaks somewhere in the front seat area occasionally.
6. Small glovebox and armrest storage.
7. Armrest has to be in 2nd position or up not to interfere w/ parking brake.
8. And in either of the down positions it makes access to the aft cup holder difficult.
9. No quick access place for change.

THE GOOD
1. The ride and handling. Just what I was hoping for.
2. Moonroof has 6 preset slide openings.
3. All 4 windows are 1-touch up and down.
4. heated seats have 6 settings
5. Drawers underneath front seats for storing small items.
6. The styling. The A4 and the TSX aren't flashy, just good looking.

If I don't have problems during my 2 year lease, I think buying the 4runner I've been leasing for 33 months, and leasing the A4 for 2 years is a win/win decision for me. Not having to give up the SUV is a relief. Though this decision is costing me $2,900 more over the 2 years when you factor in the cost of both with another 600/yr insurance and new tires for the SUV
Old 12-24-2005, 04:15 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kball
THE BAD
1. The red instrument panel illumination. Very Andromeda Strain.
2. Seats still trying to adjust to my ass and back.
3. Side mirrors are really small compared to what I'm used to (4Runner)
4. Climate control hard to get to when cars in park. And it's a bit confusing.
5. Some creaks somewhere in the front seat area occasionally.
6. Small glovebox and armrest storage.
7. Armrest has to be in 2nd position or up not to interfere w/ parking brake.
8. And in either of the down positions it makes access to the aft cup holder difficult.
9. No quick access place for change.
Man, I'm surprised they haven't changed out this stuff since the B6... I mean, I liked the red lighting, but everything else (mirrors, seats, ergonomic quirks with the parking break and the armrest, etc.) should have been noted by anyone who drove a B6 for any period of time.

For change storage, try the ashtray (if you're not a smoker), JUST BE CAREFUL not to get change stuck underneath the climate control stack... I had them get out a penny and two dimes that were rattling when they had to replace my radio a few weeks ago.
THE GOOD
1. The ride and handling. Just what I was hoping for.
2. Moonroof has 6 preset slide openings.
3. All 4 windows are 1-touch up and down.
4. heated seats have 6 settings
5. Drawers underneath front seats for storing small items.
6. The styling. The A4 and the TSX aren't flashy, just good looking.
I'm going to miss the one-turn moonroof and the one-touch windows, definitely. Heated seats I found that most people used 2 or 6, and I think that's going to equal low and high; personally, I never use them. Drawers underneath the front seat definitely going to be missed, and the styling is great. I'm having buyers remorse and I haven't even traded in my A4 yet!! (My RBP should be here Tuesday, hopefully...)

I keep repeating "navi and reliability, navi and reliability..."

Pining,
-rpc
Old 12-24-2005, 05:33 PM
wagon owner

If I had a day to drive each, I'm not sure I'd have a strong opinion one way or the other. I'm wondering if the ride might be a little better (not as bumpy) with the A4, but it's impossible to tell as I took different roads with the TSX, and spent a total of about 3/4 of an hour driving them. (3 different TSX's.)

And if I could've leased the TSX for 2 years vs. the A4 for the same $$, I'd be loving the TSX I'm sure because the reliability piece of mind thing is definately gone w/ the Audi. But I already feel like I'm gonna have to prepay for more miles. Only got 10K/yr. I'm haveing more fun driving this than anything I've owned (though the 91 integra was sweet...just not as luxurious).

For some reason on my seat, my lower back on the right hand side feels mis aligned or something. Been fooling with the lumbar but still not there yet.

Also, no memory seats on my A4
Better not let anyone else drive it.
Old 12-24-2005, 05:42 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
dude who cares, go find an Audi A4 site, you signed a 2 year lease; even if you have problems, pain in the butt to get out of your lease.
Old 12-24-2005, 05:44 PM
wagon owner

Originally Posted by rpcmx
For change storage, try the ashtray (if you're not a smoker), JUST BE CAREFUL not to get change stuck underneath the climate control stack... I had them get out a penny and two dimes that were rattling when they had to replace my radio a few weeks ago.

(My RBP should be here Tuesday, hopefully...)

Pining,
-rpc
My Moro Blue looks close to NBP. good looking color, absolutely.

Actually, for change, I'm going with a small coffee cup (unused) in the aft cup holder for now. But I think the clinking might end up requiring a rethink of this. Ash tray is really small. Right now I got earplugs in it that I use for Laker games (as their arena music sucks and is twice as loud as it needs to be). For Quarters, I've found perscription pill bottles work great!
Old 12-26-2005, 01:32 AM
Still Lovin my 06

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by exxtractor
dude who cares, go find an Audi A4 site, you signed a 2 year lease; even if you have problems, pain in the butt to get out of your lease.

seriosuly, congrats on the new car, but when did this turn into an Audi forum? no offense, but i don't think the two cars compare. you're telling me a 2 yr lease vs a 3 yr lease was the dealbreaker? wow! 10k/yr lease sounds like highway robbery to me. go enjoy your Audi in an Audi forum. and have fun with it!